BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Default To John, 8th December 1980

Hi John,

If you go to the studio tonight, just relax afterwards and go to eat something in a restaurant with Yoko. Don't worry about Sean, his nanny is taking care of him and he'll be fine; you can kiss him goodnight later.

One last thing: When you come home, tell your driver to let you out of the limo right in front of the Dakota, right ? You know, it's winter-time and it may be cold tonight...

Hey, I count on you tomorrow, you'll be there, o.k.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default To John, 8th December 1980

This is still even after all these years such a sad day to me. I am sending positive energy, love and my prayers out to John today.Also for Yoko, Sean, Julian and all his loved ones, friends and fans.I love you and miss you John.Your allways be with us in our hearts.

Elton John - Empty Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ctA...eature=related

George Harrison - All Those Years Ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Smw33PKJA

Paul McCartney/John Lennon - Here Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwnWU6OsaI

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Dec 08, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

That's beautiful...
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Hi John,

If you go to the studio tonight, just relax afterwards and go to eat something in a restaurant with Yoko. Don't worry about Sean, his nanny is taking care of him and he'll be fine; you can kiss him goodnight later.

One last thing: When you come home, tell your driver to let you out of the limo right in front of the Dakota, right ? You know, it's winter-time and it may be cold tonight...

Snoopy
How goddamn beautiful. I feel your pain Snoopy. I'd like to go back knowing what I know and have that creep arrested for suspicious stalking and slip in about the firearm. I hate him so much and sometimes too much for my own good. But at the same time, I have this unbelievable love for John and don't want to make this day too miserable. So I created each playlist you all put in that thread I made and I've been playing the songs in the house and car, reflecting with love, tears, and happiness on this amazing man.

Thank you for your lovely thread.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:33 AM   #5
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Dear Snoopy,

That's a sweet letter, on YouTube, many fans often post they want to build a time machine on Beatle sites , some stating they would slap those cigarettes out of George's hand and other goofy stuff. I've heard people say the same thing in regards to MJ , Karen Carpenter, and MLK. Unfortunately, we cannot change fate. If only they had went to the restaurant as planned, but who knows how long that nutcase Chapman would have stood outside the Dakota?

Last edited by peanut333 : Dec 08, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine9 View Post
This is still even after all these years such a sad day to me. I am sending positive energy, love and my prayers out to John today.Also for Yoko, Sean, Julian and all his loved ones, friends and fans.I love you and miss you John.Your allways be with us in our hearts.

Elton John - Empty Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ctA...eature=related

George Harrison - All Those Years Ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Smw33PKJA

Paul McCartney/John Lennon - Here Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwnWU6OsaI
Damn, those are some gorgeous tributes. I like the EJ one the most but George Harrison said everything so perfectly in his song. And Paul's, well, you can tell how much Paul loved John let's just be honest. Love all of these and if I had that song Beautiful by Julian I would post it in here (lord knows he needs some good press).
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Hi John,

Snoopy
Oh Snoopy. I know...I know! I get SO upset thinking about how I wish the events of that day could have somehow happened differently. But the bottom line is: there would still be a psychopath with a gun loaded with hollow point bullets waiting to ensue his evil task on this poor, innocent, beautiful human being.

I read a long time ago that Sean used to fraternize with the idea that it was somehow his fault because John wanted to come home to see him. But that's obviously not so, and it's sad to think his poor son had to go through that emotion just to try and understand what is, actually, completely senseless.

I miss John all the time. I never knew him and I miss him. It hurts, really, and although you aren't a Yoko fan I often see the sadness in her eyes when she talks about John and she has to breath out just to be able to control her emotions.

Julian closed off the Old Grey Whistle test last night with a tribute to his dad. He sang...wait for..."Stand By Me." But according to his FB wall it was THE best version he ever did. And we all know who sang the definitive version in 1974. le sigh...
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:43 PM   #8
SpiritW72
Apple Scruff

That was lovely, Snoopy. Sigh...I wish. Oh, how I wish...
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:23 PM   #9
wildewoman
Taxman

I remember this night 31 years ago as if it were yesterday...I remember my mother and I coming home after running some Christmas errands. My little sister was out at her regular babysitting job. My father and our dog were in the living room; I can still see the avocado green recliner chair my father favored; he was watching Monday Night Football. Our dog Max was lying near the recliner and when Mom and I came in through our sliding-glass back door from the garage Max popped up to greet us, tail frantically wagging and dog tags jingling.

I put my shopping bag down on the kitchen counter and reached down to scratch Max behind the ears. Mom was coming in right behind me.

"i've got some bad news, Hot Shot," my dad said, using his old pet name for me.

After all these years, I can't remember, word for word, how my dad broke the news, but I have never forgotten the moments running up to it. My dad in the dim light of those 70's lamps, the avocado recliner, the dog, the sound of my mother shutting the sliding glass door, the "I've got bad news, Hot Shot."

And how, in the minutes following, the horrible news was confirmed by Harold Green, a local news anchor at the time. And how a friend I was in a fight with broke the feud to call me to check up on me. How I was on the phone for a couple of hours with various friends until my sister came home and how I met her at the door and said "John Lennon's dead!" and THEN and only then did I cry.

And how I listened that night to Across the Universe, on vinyl, on my stereo, over and over until the news came on. My sister and I were allowed to stay up to watch that and Nightline after my parents went to bed, and my sister and I hugged and cried.

And how, when I went to school the next day, nobody but my Civics teacher Mr. Torretto seemed to care. More kids were upset over the death of Led Zeppelin's John Bonham than John Lennon and how I hated the school for that.

Wish I'd gone to Maia's school.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Wish I'd gone to Maia's school.
Wish you had, too!

What a beautiful account... strange the little details we remember about that night. I'm happy for you that the awful news was told to you by someone you love, though. Wish I'd've heard it from my mom rather than from some random announcer. Ugh. What a horrible night!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Apple Scruff
Sun King

OMG wilde's story was so...vivid. I felt like I was in your house. My dad says it was THE single worse music-related tragedy of them all. For my dad, John was so much more than just music. I'm so glad I got that gene!!
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I used to go to sleep w the radio on. I loved music. It fueled my dreams. And I had a tape recorder. Remember the kind w the little microphone that had a little prop that you would place in front of the radio speaker? I just remember waking up to If I Fell. And then Jimi Hendrix playing Day Tripper. I thought "Yes! a Beatles set!" and I hit the record button. But then Mark Sebastion's voice came on. He was a hugely popular afternoon DJ in Cincinnati. What's he doing on at 2 am? And then he gave the slowly broken news that was trickling in. I was absolutely stunned. Paralyzed. I listened in disbelief. My tape recorder just taped and I laid awake until it was time to go to school. I went to school and just walked class to class like a zombie. i just wanted to get home so I could turn on the TV and find that the reports were wrong.

31 yrs later, I'm still waiting.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Oh Snoopy. I know...I know! I get SO upset thinking about how I wish the events of that day could have somehow happened differently. But the bottom line is: there would still be a psychopath with a gun loaded with hollow point bullets waiting to ensue his evil task on this poor, innocent, beautiful human being.

I read a long time ago that Sean used to fraternize with the idea that it was somehow his fault because John wanted to come home to see him. But that's obviously not so, and it's sad to think his poor son had to go through that emotion just to try and understand what is, actually, completely senseless.

Julian closed off the Old Grey Whistle test last night with a tribute to his dad. He sang...wait for..."Stand By Me." But according to his FB wall it was THE best version he ever did. And we all know who sang the definitive version in 1974. le sigh...
Yeah, Scruffie, I heard it too that Sean thought it was his fault; of course it's wrong. It must have been very hard for him to live with that false idea

It's nice that Julian made a tribute for his dad; I just wished he'd made it with his OWN beautiful song-tribute of his last album, but oh well....

Further, it's somewhat comforting to know that John is still missed by so many people

Snoopy
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:58 AM   #14
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
And how, in the minutes following, the horrible news was confirmed by Harold Green, a local news anchor at the time. And how a friend I was in a fight with broke the feud to call me to check up on me. How I was on the phone for a couple of hours with various friends until my sister came home and how I met her at the door and said "John Lennon's dead!" and THEN and only then did I cry.
At least, you were able to to cry... When I heard the news early in the morning at 7 a.m. on this dreadful day, I wasn't even completely waken up and far too shocked to realize, so that I wasn't able to cry. I thought that it could be a mistake, that MY favourite singer wasn't really dead, but just badly injured... I just couldn't believe it and was the whole day at school like in trance and in the evening I didn't even answered my parent's comments about this event. I just didn't know how to react...

Snoopy
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:22 AM   #15
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
How goddamn beautiful. I feel your pain Snoopy. I'd like to go back knowing what I know and have that creep arrested for suspicious stalking and slip in about the firearm. I hate him so much and sometimes too much for my own good. But at the same time, I have this unbelievable love for John and don't want to make this day too miserable. So I created each playlist you all put in that thread I made and I've been playing the songs in the house and car, reflecting with love, tears, and happiness on this amazing man.

Thank you for your lovely thread.
I'm glad that you liked my thread, Fly

Well, I'm sure that you can imagine my pain, as you are a huge John-fan yourself. Actually, I wrote this message in the name of all fans of this forum, who appreciate John, as much as I do

Never mind, I fully understand the hateness in you, as I feel similar. I know, I shouldn't either, but I just can't help it... What makes me crazy is to know that the killer finally got what he initially wanted: he made himself sort of immortal and famous too And lives on like a fat pig in prison, being protected etc.

Yeah, what a good idea to use the playlist on that miserable day; this was probably the best thing to do, to get over it (a bit at least ).

Snoopy