BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Beatles For Sale

Old Mar 05, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
chanda
Fool On The Hill

Default Help!

Hello,

Two Questions.

Firstly- Sgt Pepper's, Wondering if anyone can help me on this one.

I recently picked up a copy of Sgt Pepper's on LP.

It does not have the nonsense stuff in the run off groove only the high pitched 15 kilocycle tone.

I heard somewhere that the US Mono release was like this however this seems to be a British Stereo Album.

Details are:

Parlophone

PCS 7027 Stereo

Sold in UK Subject to Resale… on the record label

Printed between the run off grooves is YEX 638.1

Only clear transparent sleeve (i.e no 'Fool' designed psychedelic sleeve)

Cut outs included.

Can anyone shed some light on why my album does not have the nonsense stuff in the run off groove.

Secondly- White Album

When The Beatles (aka White Album) was released, were the overseas (i.e not Britain or US) copies includied in the same numbering sequence? Or was each country given a new set of numbers? I have a # 12,005 made in New Zealand which seems quite low but maybe the numbering was particular to each country (i.e there was a 12,005 for Britian, US, Australia, NZ etc etc).

Any help very much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Chanda
chanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
bearkat77
Administrator

Cool

Welcome to Beatlelinks, Chanda! A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

To answer your question about Sgt. Pepper, all reprints of the original album did not include the "nonsense" in the runout groove. If you'd like a copy of it, you can find it on the US Rarities album. The track is titled "Sgt. Pepper's Inner Groove".

I'm not quite sure about the numbering system used on the "White Album".
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Hi Chanda. To answer your questions...

The only LP to have the infamous dog-pitch whistle and inner groove track was the UK mono pressing. Apparently some other mono pressings around Europe got it but I don't think it ever featured on the stereo pressing. As for yours it sounds like you have the original '67 pressing. Does the sleeve have overflaps at the top of the inside of the gatefold?

As for the White Album I know America had its own numbering system (low copies appear from time to time and Perry Cox recently sold off number #0000001 for a hefty sum). I'm not certain if each country had their own personal numbering but I'm sure it most probably happened. I've seen a French reissue sleeve with the number 000007.

It'd be cool to be able to find many different releases from different countries all with the same number!
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4
chanda
Fool On The Hill

Default Peppers

Thanks for your reply. Yes the Sgt. Pepper album I have does have inside flaps at the top of the album unfolded.

Yeah- I too suspect that each country had its own numbering system for The Beatles.

Thanks again,
C
Old Mar 05, 2006, 10:11 PM   #5
chanda
Fool On The Hill

Hello again,

I've given myself an uppercut on this one. I just played my Sgt Pepper record on a different turn table- one without an automatic return and there it was- the nonsence track in the run out groove.

Dough!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 02:27 PM   #6
MONTELEMONT
Fool On The Hill

I just joined this forum to ask that very WHITE ALBUM question. I saw #5 recently sell for about $30,000 and wondered. It was the UK mono #5; a while back the UK stereo #7 sold for a hefty sum as well. Surely there is also a stereo #5 and a mono #7, wouldn't you think?

I would think that both the stereo and mono UK issues had separate numberings. In the US it may be even more complex. There were at least three and maybe as many as five plants in the US where the album sleeves were made and each plant likely started with #0000001.

I also believe there are numbered LPs in France, Germany and maybe some other countries.

At the time of the LP's release, no one was thinking about "future collectability" of Beatles LPs so it is no wonder that no one paid attention to these details.

Perhaps, from a collector perspective, it might be fun to seek out every copy with one particular number (your date of birth for example).
MONTELEMONT is offline   Reply With Quote