BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old May 09, 2003, 08:49 PM   #201
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Default Re: Paul Song of the Day

A good number that it didn't like me at first, but now I love it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The next song I'd like to suggest, is a hidden B-side: "I'll Give You A Ring". It's playful melody and simple lyrics, make a classical McCartney song...so catchy and easy to sing and play (I don't play any instrument, but I suppose that it would be easy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). Not a complicated song, but definitely a favorite of mine [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 09, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message Edited By: Cecilia ][/size]
Old May 09, 2003, 09:07 PM   #202
FPSHOT
Sun King

Very nice suggestion. I seem to remember there is more than one version of it. ABCKO will know.

I love Eric Stewart (10CC) so that's also a good thing about this one.

You look a little lonely,
Maybe I could meet you,
Tell me where to reach you,
And I'll give you a ring.

I'll take you to the pictures,
I'll miss the second feature.
Lord, I can't believe my eyes,
I must be dreaming,
Give me your number,
I'll give you a ring.

You look a little hungry,
Maybe I could take you,
Tell when to wake you up

I take you to the restaurant,
We're looking at the menu.
I must be dreaming,

Give me your number, I'll give you a ring.
Oh man, I know I won't be lonely any more,
(won't be lonely any more)
Me and my phone, I'm gonna call your home.
I won't be lonely any more.

You look a little lonely,
Maybe I could meet you,
Tell me where to reach you

I'll take you to the pictures,
Miss the second feature.
I must be dreaming,

Give me your number, I'll give you a ring,
Oh, man, I know I won't be lonely any more,
Me and my phone, I'm gonna call your home.
I won't be lonely any more,

You look a little sleepy,
Wanna go to bed, dear?
Tell me can wed, dear,
I'll give you a ring
Take you to the chapel,
Listen to the sermon.
Lord, I can't believe my ears,
I must be dreaming,

UH-UH, UH-UH, UH-.

[size="1"][ May 09, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message Edited By: FPSHOT ][/size]
Old May 10, 2003, 09:07 PM   #203
darkhorse
Sun King

Surely there's a demo of this floating around, with just Paul and the piano. This is a nice little ditty that could have found a place in the Pipes Of Peace album which is so bad that it could have been better with replacements for the Jacko songs... I think. I like the "ring" (phone)/"ring" (ring) association. Something like "don't belong/don't be long" kind of games that Paul always found amusing in songs like "Blue Jay Way" and "It Won't Be Long".
Old May 11, 2003, 04:13 PM   #204
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

well he can give me a ring anytime anyplaceoh yeah
Old May 11, 2003, 11:30 PM   #205
bearkat77
Administrator

Today's Paul song is the title songs from the Tom Cruise movie "Vanilla Sky". This song makes it the second McCartney tune to be nominated for an Oscar. What do you all have to say about this one?

Vanilla Sky

The chef prepares a special menu,
For your delight, oh my.
Tonight, you fly so high up in the vanilla sky.

Your life is fine,
It's sweet and sour unbearable, oh great.
You've got to love every hour,
You must appreciate.

This is your time, this is your day.
You've got it all, don't blow it away.

Do do do, do do do, do do do, ooh.

For your delight, oh my.

Mounted tin beads cast your fortune
In a glass of wine.
Snail or fish, balloon or dolphin,
See your silver shine.

This is your time, this is your day.
You've got it all, don't blow it away.

Do do do, do do do, do do do, ooh
Do do do, do do do, do do do do do

For your delight, oh my.
In the vanilla, in the vanilla, in the vanilla sky.
In the vanilla, in the vanilla, in the vanilla sky
Mm, in the vanilla sky.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:58 AM   #206
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By bearkat77:
What do you all have to say about this one?

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Nothing really if you ask me, I try my best to forget it. What can you say really of this litle ditle.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:03 AM   #207
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Man, I must have really bad taste, but I actually like this song. Not the greatest lyrics and I don't listen to it very often but I like the melody and overall feel of the song. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 12, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message Edited By: Savoy Truffle ][/size]
Old May 12, 2003, 08:03 PM   #208
darkhorse
Sun King

"This is your time, this is your day
You've got it all, don't blow it away"

That's the only verse that actually saves itself from pure mediocrity. The song makes no sense, but somehow I find it better than 15 of the 16 songs from the Driving Rain album... I've got mixed feelings about it. I don't think it should have been nominated for an Oscar, either... I enjoy it quite often, but I do not like it very much.

[size="1"][ May 12, 2003, 08:05 PM: Message Edited By: darkhorse ][/size]
Old May 12, 2003, 09:08 PM   #209
Lynner

Nope, not really a favorite of mine at all. Darkhorse did quote the best line from the song, I think. The music isn't bad, but...I'll just say Paul's written better lyrics than this.
Old May 13, 2003, 05:06 AM   #210
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Blech. "Biker Like an Icon" wasn't a good enough song that we needed to hear its clone too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 13, 2003, 07:11 AM   #211
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Blech. "Biker Like an Icon" wasn't a good enough song that we needed to hear its clone too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">We have to have "Biker Like An Icon" for potty breaks!
Old May 13, 2003, 02:24 PM   #212
Legs
Sun King

Cristian, everyone has choise and the right to their point of view but I just have to say that I am having really dificulties to find "Vanilla Sky" better then any song on "Driving Rain".

1. Lonely Road - Great dark, rocking song
Vanilla Sky - Lame meaningless dity

2. From A Lover To A Friend - Beautifull, and special ballad, nothing like the soft 80's ballads.

3. She's given up talking - Admitinly needs some getting used to, not everyone's cup of tea, but more special then Vanilla Sky.

4. Driving Rain - Some meaningless lyrics, but the music is uplifting and inspiring, which "Vanilla Sky is not.

5. I Do - Also a little dity that seems a remake of some of his 80's stuff, but I enjoy it more then "Vanilla Sky".

6. Tiny Bubble - Uplifting song, not the best lyrics ever written but also not the worse.

7. Magic - Great rocking song

8. Your Way - Also a great song.Always hear Linda there. Wonderfull Paul song, how can you honestly say "Vanilla Sky is better.

9. Spinning On An Axis, can't decide which song is worse this or Vanilla Sky. So I give you this one Darkhorse.

10. About You - Again a great upbeat song.
11. Heather - Beautiful melodic instrumental.
Vanilla Sky ....

12. Back In The Sunshine Again - Maybe not that special but it got a great bridge, at least imo more special then....

13. Your Loving Flame - Again nothing to bright
but still I prefer this one to....

14. Riding Into Jaipur - I give you this one also, still I much rather listen to this then to....

15. Rinse The Raindrops - Maybe it drags on for a bit to long, but you must admit this is a powerfull jam and more special then...

I tried but I really can't say that "Vanilla Sky" is better then most songs on "Driving Rain".

[size="1"][ May 13, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Old May 13, 2003, 02:55 PM   #213
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By darkhorse:
I find it better than 15 of the 16 songs from the Driving Rain album.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ok, you've got my curiousity going. What's the 16th song that you DO like better? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 13, 2003, 07:52 PM   #214
darkhorse
Sun King

You got me laughing so hard with this Driving Rain analysis... I think I have some arguments in favor of my thesis, though. First of all, and as you said, everyone has choice, so I don't feel that there's anything wrong with having different tastes, we all agree with that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] OK, so let's go on with the tracklist.

1. Lonely Road - Announced by many as the song "where Paul opens his heart" and talks about his personal sentimental situation at the moment. He sure does, but the results are so... bland. It has to be one of the worst openers of any McCartney album in history, maybe up there with "Stranglehold". I don't like forced rhymes. Not my cup of tea, sorry.
Vanilla Sky - less pretentious. It just is what it is, and it says what it says. Period.

2. From A Lover To A Friend - I could rethink this one maybe. I like this one. When I heard it on the radio, together with Elton John's "I Want Love", I was happy because I thought that 2001 was going to be a good year for music... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway it has not stood up the test of repeated listens, and has become a little boring (sorry) with time.

3. She's Given Up Talking - To me, in the list of the worst songs Paul has EVER written. What is this about? Is this supposed to be interesting? The girl that does not talk in school and does talk at home... so what? What is the reason? All up to your imagination, I guess. Well, then don't write anything at all and let us all think what on Earth is going on in the writer's mind. I loathe this song.

4. Driving Rain - repetitive, lame and boring lyrics. Why does everyone keep comparing this with the much superior "All Together Now" is beyond me. The "1-2-3-4-5" lyrics are not enough, really. The other one had a little more sense. Plus the "something's open it's my heart" line is so daft...

5. I Do - Here's another one I could re-think because I actually quite like it (I don't know between this one and "Vanilla Sky" but I still like it) and it's a favorite of Andrea, too. I'll give you this one (with track #2 you have two [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

6. Tiny Bubble - This is a song that could have been good if it was well produced. Sadly there's David Kahne there with the mixing stuff. It hurts one's ears. "Vanilla Sky" does not. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

7. Magic - Follows the same melody pattern through about 4 minutes. Good intention, but I would think a Linda tribute could have been more solemn and feature better lyrics. Surely it's more of a personal song, I still don't like the fact that it's so repetitive.

8. Your Way - The third one I'll give you. I can't decide whether I like this one or "Vanilla Sky" better. This one sounds like Wings Wild Life which I like better than Driving Rain anyway, so it's kind of cool.

9. Spinning On An Axis - Paul, please don't EVER try to emulate rap. Thanks.

10. About You - I was wrong, I like this one better than "Vanilla Sky". You win. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

11. Heather - This is the song, Rell, that made me not regret buying this album. It's just so beautiful, that melody, the simple, unpretentious lyrics, the instrumentation, the production, the violin, it's all perfect. A perfect pop symphony which has to be one of my favorite Macca songs ever. Wins over "Vanilla Sky" any day.

12. Back In The Sunshine Again - Oh God... third song to be a candidate in the Worst Macca Ever list. Hate it. Don't ever write again with James, either, Paul. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

13. Your Loving Flame - I prefer the clones, "Only Love Remains" and "Once Upon A Long Ago" anyday, thank you.

14. Riding Into Jaipur - If this would have been an instrumental, I could have thought about it. But then it's not and it has that line of "with my baby" repeated to death. So nope.

15. Rinse The Raindrops - Powerful jam it is. But it is not more special than "Vanilla Sky".

Conclusion: I must analyze my facts better when I make an opinion. But still, I like "Vanilla Sky" more than most of the Driving Rain album.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 13, 2003, 09:03 PM   #215
Lynner

So Legs, tell the truth - how do you REALLY feel about Vanilla Sky? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Darkhorse, I liked both your and Legs "one minute analysis" of driving rain. I'd like to challange you to start a new topic and give a song by song analysis of the Paul album of your choice. Then others' could agree, disagree or list their own analysis.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I'd like to pick "your way" as the next song of the day! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 14, 2003, 12:29 AM   #216
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Biker Like An Ikon. The title says it all, I think.
Old May 14, 2003, 04:50 AM   #217
Rellevart

Oh, I like "Your Way" a lot. When I first bought "Driving Rain", I zipped through a lot of the tracks, but kept coming back to "Your Way" and "Heather" as the two I liked best. It's such a simple song and so catchy that I just keep singing it over and over again. And it's just such a typical McCartney song. And better than "Vanilla Sky". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old May 14, 2003, 04:24 PM   #218
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

I agree with Legs in his analysis about "Lonely Road" (a great rocker indeed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), "From A Lover To A Friend" (a lovely song, so romantic and all, but it's a little boring sometimes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) "Your Way" (a very simple song, but I quite like it), "About You" and "Heather" (a beautiful semi-instrumental).

However,I agree with Cristian in his analysis about "She's Giving Up Talking" (sounds to me like a Nirvana song...and I don't like Nirvana [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), "Driving Rain" (repetitive lyrics without saying anything clear)"I Do" (a favorite of mine, like he said [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) "Tiny Bubble", "Magic" (the story is great, but Paul doesn't build an attractive melody that keeps the listener interested...at least to me), "Spinning On An Axis" (Ugh... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), "Back In The Sunshine Again", "Riding Into Jaipur" and "Rinse The Raindrops"...the last three, shouldn't been included in the album, I think.

So, I think that "Vanilla Sky" is better than half of "Driving Rain" album... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old May 15, 2003, 05:05 PM   #219
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

that is one not heard much but good oh yes beware oh yeah i could get into that real well.nice choice but then there isn't much that wouldn't be.
Old May 20, 2003, 12:01 AM   #220
bearkat77
Administrator

Time to focus on another McCartney tune. A nice little "rocker". Here in the US, this song got more airplay than the A-side hit "Mull Of Kintyre". It didn't fair well in the charts, but it does have that certain beat to it.

Girl's School

Three cheers for the girls!
Hip hip, hooraah!
Hip hip, hooray!
Hip hip!

Sleepy head, the kid sister,
Lying on the floor.
18 years and younger, boy,
Well, she knows what she's waiting for.

Yuki's a cool schoolmistress,
She's an oriental princess.
Well, she shows films in the classroom, boy,