BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I've always thought Thelma was very pretty. And I like her. She seems to me to have been no nonsense over the violence thing. She's on that recent doc about the day John died isn't she?
She was. I liked Thelma as well. She seemed intelligent and strong. She also looks back at John as a young boy who was dealing with a lot of anger. I don't sense resentment or anger in her tone. If anything, she seems to hold him with great affection in her heart. And a bit of marvel at his persona, even back in his youth.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Sonny Freeman

Ooh... what a fun, dishy thread! I've got another one to add...

Although no one knows for sure who the inspiration for Norwegian Wood really was, a big contender is Sonny Freeman, the wife of photographer Robert Freeman. John and Cyn lived upstairs from them in London, and John supposedly used to sneak downstairs when Bob was out of the flat.

Here she is, right between Pattie and Cyn:

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Dayum John. You got around boy.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:35 AM   #24
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Ok, who has the goods on her? I googled John/possible girlfriends and lovely Maureen popped up...
Oooh yeah he totally had her. She's another one that Cyn said he confessed to.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Although no one knows for sure who the inspiration for Norwegian Wood really was, a big contender is Sonny Freeman, the wife of photographer Robert Freeman. John and Cyn lived upstairs from them in London, and John supposedly used to sneak downstairs when Bob was out of the flat.

I'd forgotten that little story. And wasn't there something about how they had to move out very quickly....like overnight....when the affair was uncovered or something? I'm a bit rusty on my facts these days but I know I've read about that.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:

Thank's for the picture, Maia

Well, Sonny looked very pretty, similar to Cyn. It's really hard to understand that it's still a mystery, for WHO "Norwegian Wood" was written for. I mean, we know so much about John and gave so many interviews etc. Hmm, we'll probably never know...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Apple Scruff
Sun King

See Snoopy, John did give many interviews and he WAS a big mouth. But these kinds of things, the kiss-and-tell stuff, he was either really vague about or said nothing at all.

Just consider it part of John's classy personality that Paul's brother Mike is always on about.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jan 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:00 PM   #28
Maia 66
Sun King

Some comments on women already mentioned:

Alma Cogan ~ I really sense the chemistry between them in that video Scruffie posted. Something definitely must have been going on...

Patricia Inder ~ She had changed her name to Tracy, apparently, by the time she met Lemmy. In that documentary about Lemmy that shows round the clock on VH1, he confesses that Tracy/Patricia was always in love with John... and he also confesses to being a huge fan of John's himself.

Sonny Freeman ~ To answer Lucy's question, I've read that John asked Brian to find him a place outside of London very quickly because of that affair... hence the migration to Weybridge.

All I want is the truth

Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I'm going to be honest, I knew nothing about Sonny Freeman before this thread.

I love that I learn more about John every single day.

Now, what about the chick on the night Nixon was re-elected? You know, the one who inspired "Death Of Samantha?" What of her?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:07 PM   #30
Maia 66
Sun King

Default May won't like this one, but...

There are many women that John was involved with who will always remain nameless. Here's a story about one of them:

Quote:
Despite his domestication by May, he continued to see other women, by no means all nameless one-night stands. "That fall of '74 there was one particular girl, who was an art director at a magazine," Bob Gruen remembers. "I was with John one night when he was in a phone booth calling her up and asking if he could come over and she was rightly telling him he was too drunk. I was nervous because he was making a lot of noise and I didn't want there to be any trouble with the police. He was ready not to be with May, he didn't want to live with her basically, but she was the one who ran his life, made all his arrangements. As he told me, 'I don't know how to get rid of her 'cause she's my phone book.' "
I told you May wouldn't like this one...

All I want is the truth

Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default More on Alma...

I found an article and I thought I'd share the part about John. Read the last section!

Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
I'm going to be honest, I knew nothing about Sonny Freeman before this thread.
More on Sonny Freeman and "the evidence"... she was German, but she preferred for people to think that she was Norwegian.

I don't know what happened to the Election Night chick... but I'm curious as hell now.

All I want is the truth

Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:11 PM   #33
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Question Paul's brother Mike about John

Quote:
See Snoopy, John did give many interviews and he WAS a big mouth. But these kinds of things, the kiss-and-tell stuff, he was either really vague about or said nothing at all.

Just consider it part of John's classy personality that Paul's brother Mike is always on about.
Yes Scruffie, that's indeed correct. John had the ability either to be very clear, or to be very vague. Actually, that's another interesting side of his personality; so open and still mysterious in certain matters

Oh, what did Paul's brother Mike said about John ???

Snoopy
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:13 PM   #34
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Paul's brother Mike said that John was "always a class act."
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:53 PM   #35
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

What a different world they lived in. "For You Blue" again....

GO JOHNNY GO!!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #36
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Another pic with Alma I found!

Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:54 PM   #37
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
There are many women that John was involved with who will always remain nameless. Here's a story about one of them:

OMG. John.

Wait until Snoopy reads this one Maia. Her May and John world will be shattered (like it already wasn't anyway?)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:32 AM   #38
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Angry

Quote:

I don't like much this story either

Oh well, with all respect for Bob Gruen.... it's so easy to make up stories after John's passing. I know that John had some affairs while he was with May, but I doubt that they are all true...

Generally, I bet that John had not half the amount of women, the press or other people pretend. I'm not sure if he really was that "womanizer", some people want us to believe.

Snoopy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:53 AM   #39
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

On the contrary, I wouldn't be surprised if they each had TWICE as many as we know about, probably more. It was the 60's and 70's for crying out loud!

Hamburg, fame on Merseyside, European stardom, world traveling, world fame and fortune, there were opportunities EVERY night should someone want to try to outdo Georgie Boy!

It's just the way it was...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:42 AM   #40
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
On the contrary, I wouldn't be surprised if they each had TWICE as many as we know about, probably more.
Hey, that's what I was going to say!

Snoopy, there is soooooooooooo much we don't know. I think you may be shocked to find out what actually happened, especially during Beatlemania. And I doubt very highly Bob Gruen would make up stories, as he has always been very loyal to John.

Anyway, there have been rumors that John had a little fling with Joan Baez. Here's what she has to say about it:

Quote:
On consecutive nights circa 1964, both Baez and the Beatles performed at the Red Rocks ampitheater in Denver, Colorado. Baez had finished her tour, so when the Beatles invited her to tag along with them, she joined their entourage for a few concerts. “I saw all the inner workings: how you climb into Volkswagen buses and then send the limousine out to be beaten to death by loving fans,” she said. After the tour, the Beatles ended up in a large mansion in LA. “They’ve sent their people out to bring in groupies so they can pick who they’re gonna, you know, hang out with. And these poor girls, just sitting downstairs waiting to see whether they’re gonna be picked by somebody–they don’t talk, they don’t even knit.” There weren’t enough bedrooms for everybody, so Lennon told Baez she could stay in his room.

“So I went to sleep and he came in, in the middle of the night,” Baez said. “And I think he felt compelled — ‘Well, I’ve asked her and she is a star and oh, dear’–and he started coming on to me, very unenthusiastically. I said, ‘John, you know, I’m probably as tired as you are, and I don’t want you to feel you have to perform on my behalf.’ And he says, [in Liverpudlian accent] ‘Oh, luvly! I mean, what a relief! Because you see, well, you might say I’ve already been fooked downstairs.’ So we had a good laugh and went to sleep.”

All I want is the truth