BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182
Default Warm, Fuzzy Memories of John

I saw the new thread that is a place for people to post nice quotes of Yoko talking about John, and I thought it would be really nice to have a similar thread for people to post quotes of other important people in John's life, talking about their memories of him, or what they loved about him; things of this nature. Here's one to start us off:

"When we saw him with May Pang, I remember him coming up to me and hugging. He said, 'touching is good. Touching's good,' and if I ever hug anyone now, that's a little thing that sticks in my mind." -Paul McCartney

I thought that was so nice. I love stuff about John and Paul's friendship, so I thought this was especially neat.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2005, 05:03 AM   #2
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Warm, Fuzzy Memories of John

[ QUOTE ]
erinluv182 Posted:
I saw the new thread that is a place for people to post nice quotes of Yoko talking about John, and I thought it would be really nice to have a similar thread for people to post quotes of other important people in John's life, talking about their memories of him, or what they loved about him; things of this nature. Here's one to start us off:

"When we saw him with May Pang, I remember him coming up to me and hugging. He said, 'touching is good. Touching's good,' and if I ever hug anyone now, that's a little thing that sticks in my mind."

I thought that was so nice. I love stuff about John and Paul's friendship, so I thought this was especially neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good topic Erin. Who said that quote?

I have a lot more quotes in books and notebooks and stuff at home, but one I've always loved from Paul (as I'm sure many of you guys do too) is his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech for John. Here's some of my favorite parts:

I remember writing our first songs together. We used to go to my house, my Dad's home, and we used to smoke Ty-Phoo tea with the pipe my dad kept in a drawer. It didn't do much for us but it got us on the road.

We wanted to be famous. ....

I remember doing the vocal to "Kansas City" -- well I couldn't quite get it, because it's hard to do that stuff. You know, screaming out the top of your head. You came down from the control room and took me to one side and said "You can do it, you've just got to scream, you can do it." So, thank you. Thank you for that. I did it.

I remember writing "A Day in the Life" with you, and the little look we gave each other when we wrote the line "I'd love to turn you on." We kinda knew what we were doing, you know. A sneaky little look.

And then, after that there were the phone calls to you. The joy for me after all the business shit that we'd gone through was that we were actually getting back together and communicating once again. And the joy as you told me about how you were baking bread now. And how you were playing with your little baby, Sean. That was great for me because it gave me something to hold on to.

So now, years on, here we are. All these people. Here we are, assembled, to thank you for everything that you mean to all of us.

This letter comes with love, from your friend Paul.

John Lennon, you've made it. Tonight you are in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

God bless you.

Paul
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2005, 05:48 AM   #3
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I love that induction speech. It's so touching and it really gets to me.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:55 AM   #4
erinluv182
Taxman

"The last year, I would say, was the best. I was growing older, I began to understand things a lot more and understand Dad too. It was at a point where we could call each other and say, 'would you like to come over?' There was no wall facing us anymore. There was always something between us, but it had been knocked down, and I could say, 'Hi, Dad, I'd like to come and see you, is that okay?' 'Yea'. Towards the end we were definitely getting closer and closer."
-Julian Lennon
Old Jan 06, 2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Asha
Sun King

What a cool idea for a topic! Thanks erinluv!

I hope I can find some time to dig up some of my faves!

Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:19 PM   #6
erinluv182
Taxman

Arlight, I've found some really good quotes from the anthology book; so the next couple will be from there.

"I was a big fan of John's. I always felt he had the biggest heart, and he wasn't the cynic that people thought. He had the biggest heart, and he was the fastest. He was in and out. While we were still getting in, he was out and on to the next round."
-Ringo Starr
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:22 PM   #7
erinluv182
Taxman

"That was the great thing about John and what I got from him, from all those years. He saw that we are not just in the material world; he saw beyond death, that this life is just a little play that is going on. And he understood that."
-George Harrison
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Celebrian
Bulldog

These are all so nice everyone. Thanks for sharing! If I can find any I will post them.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Celebrian
Bulldog

Yoko Ono in 2000 about John Lennon and her life after his death:
"Iíve always been like this, I feel, that always trying to do the best I can within the circumstances Iím put in. Iím sure youíre doing the same. And John would have done exactly that. The fondest memory of John is of John at home with me, unlike the macho image that you know of John. At home he was a very gentle, caring husband, and that's what I remember dearly. I think he was an incredibly creative guy and that was very inspiring. He was a great daddy to Sean and he was very protective towards me. And I think I'd do what most widows would do: they would say, "I wish he was here." No one ever plans on being a widow. It's difficult."
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

"He said, 'You're going to the Woolton Fete, aren't you, Mimi?' I said, 'I go every year, John.' It was a gorgeous day, and my sisters were there, too. As we were going round, suddenly this sound struck - a thing never been heard near the church before. So everybody looked up. We were at the back of the crowd. And I said, 'It's John, it's John up there!' So my sister said, 'What's he doing up there?' I said, 'I don't know.' As I got a bit nearer, he spotted me. So he turned the words of the song into singing to me. And I looked at him and I said, 'You wait.'" - John's Aunt Mimi

"John had this image of being the toughest boy in college but his music showed what all of us knew was underneath. He had a gentleness that needed to come out, and it did in those songs." - Cynthia Lennon

"The collaboration I had with John - it's difficult to imagine anyone else coming up to that standard. Because he was no slouch, that boy... He was pretty hot stuff, you know. I mean, I can't imagine anybody being there when i go: 'It's betting better all the time.' I just can't imagine anybody who would chime in - 'It couldn't get much worse.'" - Paul McCartney

"He was not the kind of guy who would say: 'Hey, my mate's written 'Here, There and Everywhere.'' He would never say that so I think unfortunately the world has to have a false impression of John. I think John was a really nice guy - covering up. He didn't dare let you see that nice side. So it was always rock n' roll, rock n' roll, rock n' roll,... till you actually caught him in the right moment. When you admit to being sentimental, as I do, you set yourself up for pot shots. John could never risk making himself vulnerable like that. But he had such a beautiful warmth. One of my other great memories of John is from when we were having some argument. I was disagreeing and we were calling each other names. We let it settle for a second, and then he lowered his glasses and he said: 'It's only me'...and then he put his glasses back on again. To me, that was John. Those were the moments when I actually saw him without the facade..the armour...Which I loved as well, like anyone else. It was a beautiful suit of armour. But it was wonderful when he let the visor down and you'd just see the John Lennon that he was frightened to reveal to the world." - Paul McCartney

"I remember being very impressed with John's big thick sideboards and trendy teddy boy clothes. He was a terribly sarcastic bugger right from day one, but I never dared back down from him. In a way, all that emotional rough stuff was simply a way for him to help separate the men from the boys, I think. I was never intimidated by him. Whenever he had a go at me I just gave him a little bit of his own right back." - George Harrison

Sorry, I kept finding good ones!
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:04 PM   #11
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to SpaceDaisy42

I love that last one Amanda! I had read it somewhere recently too and loved it as soon as I saw it! Here's a good quote from George talking about John as well.

"The very first time we took LSD, John and I were together. And that experience together, and a lot of other things that happened after that, both on LSD and on the meditation trip to Rishikesh - we saw beyond each other's physical bodies, you know. That's there permenantly, whether he's in a physical body or not. I mean this is the goal anyway: to realise the spiritual side. If you can't feel the spirit of some friend who's been that close, then what chance have you got of feeling the spirit of Christ or Buddha or whoever else you may be interested in? 'If your memory serves you well, we're going to meet again.' I believe that."
George Harrison, Nov. 1987
SpaceDaisy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 02:01 PM   #12
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Aww that induction speech was so sweet and so was the one about the armour. I found I quote once from a site... (I don't have it word for word) but it was from a Paul interview recentley and they asked him what the hardest songs to sing are and he said the ones about John and particularily 'Here today'.
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 04:50 PM   #13
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

Wow, everyone is reading my minds today! I was thinking about starting a "book" on quotes from people about John, about his childhood further on to the rest of his life. I think those quotes would probably do a bit more explaining of John's life, from people that knew him, not from those who don't. Does that sound fabmost or what?

By the way, these quotes are fantastic!

Tiff Lennon
BeatlesScruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2005, 11:37 PM   #14
Loving Lennon
Apple Scruff

[ QUOTE ]
lennonluvr9 Posted:
I love that induction speech. It's so touching and it really gets to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here
Loving Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Hey, starting a book on John quotes sounds awesome to me. If you ever read bios from other rock stars, it's always cool to flip back to the index and find John's name and read how he's mentioned. Like in Papa John Phillips (Mamas and the Papas) bio he mentioned how sweet and accomodating John was to Mama Cass. She was, as we know, fairly overweight and always felt really insecure about that. But she LOVED John. She was obsessed with him. To her, he was like the Pied Piper and everything else, and she met him at some party. Papa John apparantly told John how crazy she was for him, and John went up to her and said he thougt she was gorgeous in every way and danced with her all night. She was ecstatic.

Kind of a cool story I liked. And coincidential that it was written by Papa John, father of Bijou Phillips, who was John's son Sean's longtime girlfriend/fiancee.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:35 AM   #16
lennonluvr9
Sun King

that was a cool story! I knew there was a connection somewhere along the line with Mama Cass, but until now I didnt know what it was
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:52 AM   #17
PennyandMe
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to PennyandMe

I just found out that the actor Peter Boyle, who is on Everybody Loves Raymond, was really good friends with John and Yoko. John actually ended up being his best man when he got married.
PennyandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 06:38 PM   #18
erinluv182
Taxman

"It 's Lennon who has become the most misunderstood. I'm not saying he was a saint but to me he was a hell of a nice guy. He has been signed off as being the hard man, and cruel to women, brutal to Brian. Nut he could be so gentle. He was a sardonic bastard. I think he was the biggest piss-taker the world has ever known.....John Lennon was a special guy and I suppose I always felt the most protective of him. Not that he needed anyone's protection, of course, it was just because he was so up-front and outspoken I always wanted to go after him explaining to people that he'd only been joking and that he was a really nice bloke underneath."
-Alistair Taylor

-ok, and a small plug here for you Beatles fans to rush out and purchase Al's book. I just started reading it two days ago and I'm nearing finishing it. It is sooo good. And Al's not in the best situation money-wise, as he didn't make much off of his association with the Beatles, so do Al and yourself both a favor, and buy the book.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:29 PM   #19
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyandMe
I just found out that the actor Peter Boyle, who is on Everybody Loves Raymond, was really good friends with John and Yoko. John actually ended up being his best man when he got married.
Yeah I heard that too! On Tv I think, although I dont remember John being Peter's best man. That's cool to know though...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:36 PM   #20
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonluvr9
Yeah I heard that too! On Tv I think, although I dont remember John being Peter's best man. That's cool to know though...
He was.He said so on Oprah.