BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:59 PM   #21
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Default Re: Beatles Capitol Boxset avaliable to pre order

Actualy the artwork here is pretty neat. The Capital rainbow colors make up the backround. One of the classic LP labels of the time. I suppose by the time the final American Albums come out the Apple will be represented on the box somewhere.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:13 PM   #22
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Yea the design does make sense...I dont know though..it still kind of looks a lil weird for a cd box set theses days...But oh well..its the music that counts.
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:17 AM   #23
Paul
Day Tripper

Jerry:

http://www7.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=14322

Much cheaper than Amazon UK!

Are any UK fans here going to buy this set? It seems strange to release US albums compiled from the UK albums in the UK!
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:29 PM   #24
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Is there any word on what mixes were used to make the box set? Capitol did release the British mixes on their Record club issues. The store bought mixes were clutered with echo and way too much reverb.

Question: Where is the American issue of A Hard Days Night? That was issued on Capitol after United Artist Records closed. Is that being served up later? Lotsa people like the intrumental version of This Boy. Brings up a vision of Ringo walking along the canals looking dejected.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:04 AM   #25
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

AHDN is not a Capitol LP in my eyes. If they released it, they should do it in an Odds and Sods box, not with the other albums.
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:09 AM   #26
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

AHDN would likely be in a 3rd box,as UA had it until 1979, when Capitol got it and Let it Be finally.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:00 PM   #27
dav-here
Sun King

Send a message via Yahoo to dav-here

I'm gonna buy this because (1) I'm a completist and (2) being an American, these were the albums I grew up listening to (with these songs in these particular mixes and in this particular running order).

It'll be very "nostalgic" for me to hear these albums again as I remember hearing them all those years ago (even though I've gotten used to the U.K. versions, which I do think are the definitive versions and are superior to the "butchered" U.S. Capitol albums of the '60s).
dav-here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 05:43 PM   #28
Drifter
Fool On The Hill

[ QUOTE ]
Blackguard Posted:Lotsa people like the intrumental version of This Boy. Brings up a vision of Ringo walking along the canals looking dejected.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> According to Ringo it wasn't acting - he was hungover! </font>
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 07:10 AM   #29
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default Beatles Capitol Boxset available to preorder

The classic Beatle albums "Yesterday &amp; Today," "Beatles 65," "Beatles VI" and the Beatles "Second Album" are now being offered as a collection set. You can order it by calling 1-800-743-4500 and make 3 payments of $21.95 for this set along with a cool poster of the young Beatles.

What a wonderful thing to see this being made available! A hearty YEAH, YEAH, YEAH
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 08:46 AM   #30
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Default Re: Beatles Capitol Boxset available to preorder

Is this through Capitol? If so, they've been a bit lively in putting that one out...
Paolo Meccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:51 AM   #31
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Yeah, that's kind of illegal. For starters, it's Beatles VI, and why would they include The Beatles Second Album and Beatles '65 if they're in the first set?
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2004, 03:06 PM   #32
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

I just saw that on the Capitol website they have clips from the set. Yes, these are the original American mixes. Here's the link http://www2.capitolrecords.com/beatles/sampler/

Also on Amazon they have a small (really small) pic of the box set open. I'm gonna be nice and post it here.

biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:20 PM   #33
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Like Dave, I am a "completist", and I need these ones (and one or two others) to complete my collection.... So, I am greatly looking forward to the release! I can't wait to go get my copy on the 16th! !
BeatleChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:39 AM   #34
Legs
Sun King

I got the set today and I just listened to Meet The Beatles. I was listening to it with an open mind, thinking that some songs would sound better then the U.K. releases, but none of them would.

I am glad to have the set tho, it makes collection the U.S. versions much easier and cheaper. I was thinking about buying some of the U.S. versions on vinyl but the cheapest second hand lp I could find was Meet The Beatles for 30 usd.

It's also good to have the boxset out because there is obviously still a need for it.
I'll have a listen to the second album later on.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:27 AM   #35
Legs
Sun King

"The Second Album" was another disapointment. What did they do to "You can't do that" and in fact to most of the songs. This has to much echo, and tho U.S. fans are used of hearing the songs this way, it just sounds terible to me.

I am not just saying that because I got used to the U.K. mixes, cause "Something New" sounds fantastic. To these ears the songs sound even better then on the U.K. cd's. Just to remind everyone that this is a personal review before I say that I couldn't care less about the running orders of the cd's. No the reason I bought the cd's are the different stereo and mono mixes of the songs. As completist I want every official release, every version of the songs, including the U.S. versions as part of the history. It's a bonus when they come in the great sound quality as on this "Something New" cd. 2:1 so far, a review for Beatles 65 as well as more thoughts on the box set will follow.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:22 PM   #36
Legs
Sun King

Beatles 65 sounds great for the most part, but I don't think anyone can claim that the echo drenched mixes of "She's A Woman" and "I Feel Fine" sounds fantastic. They sound horrific, but that's the way they should sound on this album.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:42 PM   #37
beatlelover45223

thanks legs, you make me want to run out and buy them now, I forgot how different the US releases sounded, it has been a long time, I guess, almost 30 years since I have had my records out, can't wait to hear what I grew up listening too now...
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:07 PM   #38
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

[ QUOTE ]
Legs Posted:
Beatles 65 sounds great for the most part, but I don't think anyone can claim that the echo drenched mixes of "She's A Woman" and "I Feel Fine" sounds fantastic. They sound horrific, but that's the way they should sound on this album.

[/ QUOTE ]
What happened on these is they weren't told by Abbey Road that George martin had put echo in it already, plus they were rushed to get the LP out in December as Capitol had 3 plants for the whole of the USA (Hollywood,Jacksonville IL and Scranton PA) so these were rushed...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 01:17 PM   #39
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I have a couple of reviews to post. One is by my friend Al Sussman, and appeared as a Beatlefan Magazine Bulletin. The second appeared in today's New York Times, and is by Allan Kozinn.

Some advance observations from Al Sussman on the new Capitol box set coming out Tuesday . . .

Instead of the standard longbox, "The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1" comes packaged in a slipcase. The inside package has two pockets, one for the four discs and one for the booklet, and that package folds over into a size that will fit most CD cases. Be careful, though, if you hold the package with the discs facing down, they can easily fall out. Fortunately, the cardboard sleeves hold the discs snugly so, even if they do drop, the discs should stay in their sleeves. The sleeves are smaller reproductions of the Capitol mono LP sleeves, including the dreadful original liner notes (as opposed to the Tony Barrow and Derek Taylor-written notes for The Beatles' first four EMI LPs). The front covers even have a sepiatone look to give them an aged appearance. The major differences are the CD logo and track listings (though the track listing are in the same type font as the originals) and an Apple logo where the EMI logo was on the original LPs. The discs all have the old Capitol rainbow-bordered LP labels, with the Capitol logo moved to the "nine o'clock" position (as opposed to the top of the LP labels) and the Apple logo at the bottom of the labels.

As for what's on the discs, each album is presented in its stereo version, followed by its mono counterpart. The biggest criticism of the original 1987 CD release of the first four EMI Beatles albums was the flatness of the sound, especially on "A Hard Day's Night" and "Beatles For Sale". Well, that certainly is not a problem here. The Capitol mixes, which were, if nothing else, more dynamic than the EMI versions, give each album a brightness and crispness not found on the '87 CDs. And that goes for the mono versions, too. Yes, "The Beatles' Second Album" is still an aural nightmare, due to the excessive echo used on that LP, but that's the way it sounded in 1964, which is the point of this whole project-to recreate the sound of the 1964 Capitol Beatles LPs on CD. "Something New" is probably the biggest treat of the four, with dynamic stereo mixes that blow away either the UA "A Hard Day's Night" LP or the stereo version of the EMI album. "Beatles '65" similarly shines but isn't as good an album as "Something New" (ditto the U.K. equivalents). And, of course, "Meet The Beatles" should bring a smile to the face of any first-generation American Beatlefan just by looking at the sleeve-and it sounds great, too!

Beatlefan Bulletin is an e-mail service available to all Beatlefan/EXTRA! subscribers.
Address all correspondence to goodypress@mindspring.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/16/ar...ic/16beat.html

November 16, 2004
CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
Early Beatles, U.S. Style
By ALLAN KOZINN

The clamor began on this side of the Atlantic the moment EMI released the Beatles' albums on CD in 1987. American collectors who in their youth wore out copies of albums with titles like "Meet the Beatles," "Something New," "Beatles '65" and "Yesterday and Today" were unable to find those discs.

What EMI had done was eminently sensible. The label, together with Apple, the Beatles' company, had decided that on CD the Beatles recordings would follow the British discography, using the songs, album titles, cover art and liner notes that the group and its producer, George Martin, assembled and approved in the 1960's. These were the Ur-text. They were also the versions available in most of the world.

But they were not the albums American collectors knew, and given the size of the American market that is not an insignificant point. It may be that the British albums followed the history of the Beatles as most of the world - and not least, the Beatles themselves - knew it. But for millions of listeners in the United States, the history of the band's music unfolded a bit differently, and when the first CD's were released, American fans discovered albums that bore only a vague resemblance to those they knew.

"With the Beatles," for example, uses the same cover photo as "Meet the Beatles" - the four Beatles, in turtlenecks and partly in shadow - but has a largely different track list. Taking the disc out of that familiar cover, listeners in the United States wanted to hear the energetic opening chords of "I Want to Hold Your Hand." What they got was the vocal introduction to "It Won't Be Long." Similarly, "Beatles for Sale" offered a lineup close to what American listeners knew as "Beatles '65," but without the big hits of the time, "She's a Woman" and "I Feel Fine."

Many listeners have been dissatisfied ever since and have filled fan magazines and Beatles-related Web sites with pleas for the release of the albums they knew and loved. With the release today of "The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1" (Capitol), a set that brings together "Meet the Beatles," "The Beatles' Second Album," "Something New" and "Beatles '65," all from 1964, these collectors can begin to rest easy.

As it turns out, even collectors who were never particularly nostalgic about the American albums and who believe that EMI and Apple should be pursuing other priorities - and I count myself among them - have reason to admire this set. The label has gone the extra mile in dealing with fan obsessiveness. It has used the Capitol masters from the 1960's, rather than remixing the tracks or recompiling them from the existing CD's. That was necessary because Capitol's postproduction methods yielded a sound quite unlike that of the British recordings.

Moreover, the set includes both the mono and stereo mixes of each album, a move that not only restores more than 30 stereo tracks to the catalog (the early albums were released on CD in mono only), but also preserves mixing and editing anomalies that are unavailable elsewhere. An example: the mono version of "I'll Cry Instead" has an extra verse spliced in, something not found in the American stereo or British mono and stereo versions.

I'm finding this set a guilty pleasure. Sure, I grew up with these albums, and I played them to death, going through several copies of each as they acquired the skips and scratches that naturally accrue to a vinyl LP played 20 times a day on substandard equipment.

But once I discovered the British versions, in a Greenwich Village import shop in 1968, and realized that those were the albums the Beatles thought they were making, the American discs began to seem bowdlerized and illegitimate.

It was easy to find the Capitol discs objectionable. They seemed to trample on the Beatles' creative intentions, and for all the wrong reasons. Where the British albums typically offered 14 tracks, Capitol's offered 10 or 12. It was also Capitol's policy to treat singles as drawing cards: if you liked the hit, you would buy the album. The Beatles took a different view. With only a handful of exceptions, they adhered to a policy of keeping albums and singles separate. For them, why should a fan who bought the single have to buy those songs again on an LP?

Because the Beatles produced an album every six months in those early days, as well as a few singles (and even, in one case, a four-song EP), Capitol's policies made it possible to release three LP's for every two released in England. That approach persisted until 1967, when even Capitol's executives realized that dissecting and redistributing the songs on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" would be seen as an act of cultural vandalism.

Capitol had some sound issues as well. American listeners, Capitol executives believed, liked a bit more reverb than British producers used. Maybe they were right: disc jockeys back then sounded as though they were broadcasting from echo chambers, and hit records often sounded that way, too. So Capitol's engineers added reverb to the original recordings. They also, when only a mono recording was available - mainly in the case of the singles - created what they called duophonic mixes for the stereo LP's. This involved splitting the mono signal into two channels, boosting the bass on one and the treble on the other, introducing a slight delay between the channels, and adding reverb - all of which fooled the ear into hearing a recording as stereo.

Having ignored the American discs all these years, my memory was that these techniques yielded a horrifyingly muddy sound. But revisiting them on CD, I found that songs like "Roll Over Beethoven" (real stereo, with reverb added), "She Loves You," "You Can't Do That" and "I'll Get You" (all duophonic) actually sound more vibrant than the British versions.

No doubt some unbidden nostalgia has been creeping in. Tampered with though it may be, this is the sound so many of us fell in love with in 1964. And although the albums were cobbled together - "The Beatles' Second Album," for example, is a stew of "With the Beatles" tracks that didn't fit on "Meet the Beatles" and songs that had been released on singles and on an EP - they flow in a way that has its own logic, if only that of deeply ingrained memory.

And maybe it's time to give Capitol's production staff a measure of belated respect and to recognize, however heretical it may seem, that in some cases their sequences work better than the Beatles' own. In its American incarnation, "Rubber Soul" (an album that will presumably be included in "The Capitol Albums, Vol. 2" along with "Beatles VI" and "The Early Beatles") begins with "I've Just Seen a Face," an acoustic track that starts with an assertive, beautifully detailed, fingerpicked guitar figure. In Britain, the song was virtually a throwaway, lost on Side 2 of the "Help!" album, released a few months earlier. But it thrives on "Rubber Soul," and given that the album is largely acoustic, it makes a better opener than the electric, bluesy "Drive My Car," which kicks off the British version.

Still, now that the demand for the American albums is being addressed, perhaps EMI and Apple can get down to more pressing business. The British CD's desperately need a sonic update, and the release of the stereo mixes of the first four albums, as well as the mono mixes of everything from "Help!" through the "White Album," are long overdue. And DVD versions of "The Beatles Anthology" and "Yellow Submarine" proved that surround-sound mixes of the band's full catalog are likely to be revelatory as well. Just about every important band from the 1960's and 70's has had its catalog revamped since 1987. It's amazing that the Beatles have let substandard CD's represent them for so long.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:00 PM   #40
gonzo
Fool On The Hill

well were getting closer all the time. whats next, let it be? hollywood bowl? more out-takes? whatever we are ready. the new box set is awesome! just sit back adjust your sub-woofer and away you go. pristine beatles,just listen to the clarity in pauls bass, i saw her standing there, it will blow you away. not to mention pauls great playing. i couldnt be happier to hear some new old beatles. the boys are back. give it a try,youll like the new mixes. 2004 beatles just like 1964 beatles its all good. peace.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote