BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:35 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default \'Lost\' Beatles show to be aired

'Lost' Beatles show to be aired

Saturday, 6 November, 2004

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3988087.stm

Recently discovered TV footage of The Beatles is to be broadcast for the first time since 1964 on a US award show, organisers have said.
The tape of She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand will be broadcast at the American Music Awards on 14 November.

Producer Dick Clark said the footage was from an unnamed English show "that aired here that for some reason or another went into a trunk somewhere".

The two-and-a-half minute tape will be seen on US network ABC's coverage.

Mr Clark said: "We've got a wonderful old... tape that's been lost for 40 years that nobody's seen since it first aired."

But no more details were available. The American Music Awards ceremony is seen as the biggest rival to the Grammys.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:46 AM   #2
beatlelover45223

Default Re: \'Lost\' Beatles show to be aired

that will be interesting to see, thanks for the post
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:47 AM   #3
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I just got a press release from the American Music Awards with more info. But it looks like this tape has been out there for many years already. Sure, it hasn't been shown on tv in 40 years, but it's been on bootlegs for awhile. I'm pretty sure it's the usual Around The Beatles special. I have it on video (it was actually officially released at one point), and also on CD without the audience. The 'Anthology' release even had a few of the tracks. They're all listed on this CD...
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=ydb103
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Here's the press release...
----------
RARE BEATLES PERFORMANCE FOOTAGE TO AIR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 40 YEARS ON U.S. TELEVISION ON THE 32ND ANNUAL “AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS,” NOVEMBER 14 ON ABC-TV

On November 15th, 1964, for the first and last time on U.S. television, a TV special entitled “Around The Beatles” aired on ABC-TV. One day short of exactly 40 years later, some of this rare performance footage will be seen on the 32nd annual “American Music Awards” airing on ABC-TV, Sunday, November 14. Introducing the footage will be ex-Beatles drummer Ringo Starr.

The Beatles first entered the American record charts in January of 1964 with “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” which reached #1 and stayed in that lofty position for seven weeks. It was followed by “She Loves You,” which shot to the top of the charts and remained there for two weeks. Performance footage of these two songs from the “Around The Beatles” UK special will be seen for the first time on U.S. TV in 40 years on the “American Music Awards,” courtesy of EMI Music. On November 16th, Capitol Records’ first 4 Beatles’ U.S. albums will be released on CD for the first time ever, and these songs will be featured in the special 4-CD set.

Dick Clark, Executive Producer of the “American Music Awards” noted, “Just over 40 years ago, the Beatles changed the landscape of contemporary music in the United States. We are thrilled to have been given permission to air these two historical performances on this year’s show.”

Among those scheduled to perform live on this year’s show are: Kenny Chesney with Uncle Kracker, Fantasia, Josh Groban, Toby Keith, Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz, John Mayer, Maroon 5, Jessica Simpson, Snoop Dogg & Pharrell, Gwen Stefani, Rod Stewart, Twista, Usher, Kanye West and Gretchen Wilson. The host will be Jimmy Kimmel.

Also on the special, many of today’s top stars from the music world, Hollywood and sports will serve as presenters including Clay Aiken, Pamela Anderson, cycling champ Lance Armstrong, Ashanti, Linkin Park’s Chester Bennington & Joe Hahn, OutKast’s Big Boi, Brooks & Dunn, Chingy, Ciara, Kelly Clarkson, Sheryl Crow, “Desperate Housewives”’ James Denton, Eva Longoria & Nicolette Sheridan, Carmen Electra, “Lost”’s Matthew Fox, Kenny G, Macy Gray, Kathy Griffin, Billy Idol, Janet Jackson, JoJo, Nick Lachey, Lil’ Flip, Teena Marie, Jenny McCarthy, Michael McDonald, Brian McKnight, MercyMe, Mandy Moore, Nelly, “Life As We Know It”’s Kelly Osbourne, “Good Morning America”’s Tony Perkins, “Boston Legal”’s William Shatner, KISS’ Gene Simmons, Velvet Revolver’s Slash & Scott Weiland, Anna Nicole Smith, John Stamos, Switchfoot, tennis superstars Serena and Venus Williams and Ying Yang Twins.

Nominations for the “American Music Awards” are in eight categories. A total of 19 publicly voted awards will be presented on this year’s “American Music Awards” in eight areas of music -- Pop/Rock, Country, Soul/Rhythm & Blues, Rap/Hip-Hop, Latin Music, Adult Contemporary, Alternative Music and Contemporary Inspirational. Additionally, the T-Mobile Text In Award as voted by the fans, will be presented on the show. T-Mobile subscribers can cast their votes via text messaging using their T-Mobile SMS Capable cellular phones. Other members of the public wishing to cast their votes can do so at www.abc.com, Keyword: AMA, and viewers of the “American Music Awards” can also vote during the show via Enhanced TV by logging on to ABC.com and clicking on the Enhanced TV logo. Voting is now open and will conclude during the show on November 14.

The “American Music Awards” special is a dick clark productions, inc. presentation produced by Larry Klein, with Jeff Margolis directing. Writers are Barry Adelman and Fred Bronson. Executive in Charge of Production is Bob Bardo. Associate Producer is Don Harary. Music Director is Lenny Stack. John Shaffner and Joe Stewart are the Production Designers. Talent Executive is Melissa Trueblood. Executive in Charge is Fran La Maina.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:13 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Bless and thank you both for this information!

November 15, 1964 was a Sunday, which means a lot of folks were home in front of their television to catch this treat. And now, thanks to Paulrus and Jerry, we can ride this Beatle train as well!
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:48 PM   #6
beatlelover45223

I just read this, Ringo will introduce the clip!

link

Ringo to introduce lost Beatles film at the American Music Awards
[from official Press Release]

RARE BEATLES PERFORMANCE FOOTAGE TO AIR
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 40 YEARS ON U.S. TELEVISION
ON THE 32ND ANNUAL "AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS," NOVEMBER 14 ON ABC-TV

On November 15th, 1964, for the first and last time on U.S. television, a TV special entitled "Around The Beatles" aired on ABC-TV. One day short of exactly 40 years later, some of this rare performance footage will be seen on the 32nd annual "American Music Awards" airing on ABC-TV, Sunday, November 14. Introducing the footage will be ex-Beatles drummer Ringo Starr.

The Beatles first entered the American record charts in January of 1964 with "I Want To Hold Your Hand," which reached #1 and stayed in that lofty position for seven weeks. It was followed by "She Loves You," which shot to the top of the charts and remained there for two weeks. Performance footage of these two songs from the "Around The Beatles" UK special will be seen for the first time on U.S. TV in 40 years on the "American Music Awards," courtesy of EMI Music. On November 16th, Capitol Records' first 4 Beatles' U.S. albums will be released on CD for the first time ever, and these songs will be featured in the special 4-CD set.

Dick Clark, Executive Producer of the "American Music Awards" noted, "Just over 40 years ago, the Beatles changed the landscape of contemporary music in the United States. We are thrilled to have been given permission to air these two historical performances on this year's show."
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 06:23 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

What a crock that this film has been "lost" for 40 years. Gee, then why do I have it on an officially released videotape? It really annoys me when PR people mislead me like that.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:14 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

How many topics on this do we have?
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

[ QUOTE ]
FPSHOT Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

Three.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:48 PM   #10
SF4-EVER

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
FPSHOT Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

Three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three? Which one did I miss?

I could go ahead and close this topic, but it was started before the other one in Abbey Road and has more views. BB, what shall we do here?
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:57 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

That's cool that Ringo will be introducing it
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:32 AM   #12
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

"Fun With the Fab 4" in Act Naturally and yet another related thread in Abbey Road in addition to this one exist.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:03 PM   #13
Whistlerca
Nowhere Man

Did any one watch AMA? I found it "Boring" to use Jimmy Kimmel's choice of words, his attempt at humor was awful, after showing the Beatles clip, he said “Oh that was boring…I’ll take you all” Did I hear any booing from the audience or was it just me at Kimmel's remark? Of course the clip was dated, but this band was great (and still alive with us here) Lets see were Kimmel will be in 40 years.
Whistlerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 02:18 PM   #14
darkhorse
Sun King

It was great to see that 'lost' bit anyway. No television show could do justice to these guys... so I won't go on complaining one bit.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:53 PM   #15
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

[ QUOTE ]
Whistlerca Posted:
Did any one watch AMA? I found it "Boring" to use Jimmy Kimmel's choice of words, his attempt at humor was awful, after showing the Beatles clip, he said “Oh that was boring…I’ll take you all” Did I hear any booing from the audience or was it just me at Kimmel's remark? Of course the clip was dated, but this band was great (and still alive with us here) Lets see were Kimmel will be in 40 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I thought it was funny for a split second, because I assumed he was going to say, "just kidding!" Except he really didn't. The booing was pretty loud actually. Tons of people cheered for the Beatles, it was fantastic. I loved the clip!
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:25 PM   #16
ilovejohnlennon
Apple Scruff

Send a message via MSN to ilovejohnlennon

[ QUOTE ]
I know, I thought it was funny for a split second, because I assumed he was going to say, "just kidding!" Except he really didn't. The booing was pretty loud actually. Tons of people cheered for the Beatles, it was fantastic. I loved the clip!

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually did say he was kidding but it wasn't heard that well because of all the booing. He should have said it louder. I thought that whole tribute thing was useless. They could have done more. And I thought Ringo was actually going to be there live! They over hyped that thing for nothing. Oh Well.
Atleast I got to see that crazy guy doing those hilarious dance moves in the back of the beatles singing. lol.
ilovejohnlennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:44 PM   #17
Whistlerca
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
ilovejohnlennon Posted:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually did say he was kidding but it wasn't heard that well because of all the booing. He should have said it louder. I thought that whole tribute thing was useless. They could have done more. And I thought Ringo was actually going to be there live! They over hyped that thing for nothing. Oh Well.
Atleast I got to see that crazy guy doing those hilarious dance moves in the back of the beatles singing. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard it (I'm sorry folks) Still it showed lack of class on Jimmy Kimmels part, very poor taste, and very true the whole Tribute could have been much much better and I also thought Ringo would be there, still...it was great to see the clip.
You know some of these singers, or groups will fade away, and never reach the heights of the Beatles, so respect is well deserved, and it will go around and around, my hope is one day, a great tribute is given to The Beatles, maybe with Paul, Ringo, Jules and Sean (yeah okay Yoko too)
Peace!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:27 PM   #18
LovinLennon909
Taxman

I thought Kimmel said "just kidding," then even softer, said "sort of." I thought it was pretty nasty on his part, but at least the audience booed and hissed at him. Al Roker gave an awesome introduction, though. He introduced the clip as "by one of his favorite bands of all time," and introduced Ringo as "one of my idols, and now someone I can call my friend."
Personally, I didn't find that short clip to be worth watching nearly three hours of crappy music. Did anyone happen to catch Jessica Simpson "sing?" She looked spastic and sounded as awful as I do. Truly, I had to mute my TV for some of those "performances." They were worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:03 AM   #19
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

[ QUOTE ]
He actually did say he was kidding but it wasn't heard that well because of all the booing

[/ QUOTE ]

his exact words were "I'm so.. Not kidding"

as was said, it was very classless. its rare that Booing is appropriate but is was that time, IMO.

as a friend of mine (another Beatles fan) pointed out- here's an a$$40!# who got his fame by being a sexist jerk.

[ QUOTE ]
Al Roker gave an awesome introduction, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
it wasn't Al Roker, it was his ABC counterpart, the weather guy from Good Morning America. he's said before that he's a big Beatles fan! and apparently he even subscibes to one of the fanzines- BeatlesFan i think...? but i'm not sure.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:42 AM   #20
Whistlerca
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
it wasn't Al Roker, it was his ABC counterpart, the weather guy from Good Morning America. he's said before that he's a big Beatles fan! and apparently he even subscibes to one of the fanzines- BeatlesFan i think...? but i'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot the guys name, but as you said he's another weather man on GMA, a good guy, showed much class then Kemmel (sexist jerk) even his clothes looked out of place, Ewww We got what we came for, Beatles Clip.
Peace!