BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jul 31, 2004, 05:33 PM   #61
twovirgins
Sun King

Default Re: songs you dislike (or hate)

*Burns sage to clean Beatlelinks forums From the bad name i wrote on the Boards* sorry
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:30 PM   #62
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and while I'm at it...though I do recognize their place in musical history (overrated though it is), I can't STAND the Sex Pistols. One of the worst experiences of my life was being forced to listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" several times in a row by a so-called "friend" back when it was new. I don't think I ever got over the trauma! And it's not that I don't like Punk, either, because I do like some, by other groups, ones who could actually PLAY. And they didn't have to play WELL, either -- I mean, I like the Ramones. It's just that I am not and never have been of the opinon that simply making a loud, discordant noise and shouting nasty words over it constitutes "music."

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the Sex Pistols AT ALL and would rather hear air raid sirens. I thought they were a parody of music and were a nihilistic statement that was against music. Anyroad, I can't stand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is a terrible album. It's extremely over-rated. Most of the songs are dull and vacant and horrible, just as you say, but . . . there are three great songs there. I think that "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", and especially "Anarchy In the U.K." are good and not nihilistic and all. Holidays is simply absurdist and frantic, whereas God Save and Anarchy are simple political, anti-authoritarian statements. Lines like "I am an AntiChrist" (and Johnny Rotten's accompanying t-shirt) are simple sensationalism, and that shouldn't cover up the fact that some of their music is really good. There's a lot of energy and vitality there, and savage though it may be, it is not an evil energy. Especially they have these great warping, whirling bass-lines that meld perfectly with the guitar. I really dig those.

Of course I also have a thing for Johnny Rotten's voice, so that may be influencing me quite a bit, but I do understand the "discordant/naughty" part too, "Bodies" is just terrifying. It's just I think there was a genuine spark of genius there.

And I like the Ramones too. Much more positive vibes from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Sex Pistols very much and I love their one and only album. (Yes ALL of it, sorry to the folks that don't.) Some may see their place in the history of rock and roll as overrated, but the reason why they've received the attention is because they're probably the most widely recognized symbol of punk rock, and most people seem to believe that they were the first of the punk bands, which is a whole other argument in itself. And yes, loud, obscene, vacant (ahem, the song "Pretty Vacant"?) and "anti music" they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't think anyone would get that pun!

[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
The 1976-1977 punk movement had many reasons for why they were the way they were. One reason as to why they sounded agressive is because they wanted to try to get back to nitty gritty rock n'roll that anyone could learn to play as opposed to the progressive bands and super groups who at the time were dominating the charts and/or had strayed away from their original sound, and were distant from their fans by means of musical skill, physical accessibility, and attitude. I don't want to give the impression that I am knocking progressive bands as a whole, since I do love progressive rock.... But, I do agree about The Sex Pistols' sensationalism factor. After all, the Sex Pistols were almost a total fabrication of Malcom McLaren who owned the shop 'Sex', and who previously managed the New York Dolls. He was quite the enterprenuer and ideas man, (he was somehow involved with the Situationist International movement) and after the Pistols received a large amount of attention, I'm guessing here that his shop received a lot more business due to them. And in turn the Pistols made way for other less rude, more talented and more positive punk bands, (my personal favorite, The Clash ) and then some bands far more obscene and less skilled than the Pistols themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know . . . but it just seems to me that the singles are the highlights and the rest of the album is kind of . . . derivative. I know part of the point is that everything is supposed to sound the same, but, to me at least, cuts like "Sub-mission" and "New York City" seem boring. "Seventeen" has a nice line, though . . . "I'm a lazy sod." Always makes me laugh.
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:59 PM   #63
scott500
Apple Scruff

Roxy Starkey is dead right, Reggae is rubbish.
scott500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2004, 06:36 AM   #64
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
scott500 Posted:
Roxy Starkey is dead right, Reggae is rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I intensely dislike reggae. I hate it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2004, 10:05 PM   #65
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and while I'm at it...though I do recognize their place in musical history (overrated though it is), I can't STAND the Sex Pistols. One of the worst experiences of my life was being forced to listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" several times in a row by a so-called "friend" back when it was new. I don't think I ever got over the trauma! And it's not that I don't like Punk, either, because I do like some, by other groups, ones who could actually PLAY. And they didn't have to play WELL, either -- I mean, I like the Ramones. It's just that I am not and never have been of the opinon that simply making a loud, discordant noise and shouting nasty words over it constitutes "music."

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the Sex Pistols AT ALL and would rather hear air raid sirens. I thought they were a parody of music and were a nihilistic statement that was against music. Anyroad, I can't stand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is a terrible album. It's extremely over-rated. Most of the songs are dull and vacant and horrible, just as you say, but . . . there are three great songs there. I think that "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", and especially "Anarchy In the U.K." are good and not nihilistic and all. Holidays is simply absurdist and frantic, whereas God Save and Anarchy are simple political, anti-authoritarian statements. Lines like "I am an AntiChrist" (and Johnny Rotten's accompanying t-shirt) are simple sensationalism, and that shouldn't cover up the fact that some of their music is really good. There's a lot of energy and vitality there, and savage though it may be, it is not an evil energy. Especially they have these great warping, whirling bass-lines that meld perfectly with the guitar. I really dig those.

Of course I also have a thing for Johnny Rotten's voice, so that may be influencing me quite a bit, but I do understand the "discordant/naughty" part too, "Bodies" is just terrifying. It's just I think there was a genuine spark of genius there.

And I like the Ramones too. Much more positive vibes from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Sex Pistols very much and I love their one and only album. (Yes ALL of it, sorry to the folks that don't.) Some may see their place in the history of rock and roll as overrated, but the reason why they've received the attention is because they're probably the most widely recognized symbol of punk rock, and most people seem to believe that they were the first of the punk bands, which is a whole other argument in itself. And yes, loud, obscene, vacant (ahem, the song "Pretty Vacant"?) and "anti music" they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't think anyone would get that pun!

[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
The 1976-1977 punk movement had many reasons for why they were the way they were. One reason as to why they sounded agressive is because they wanted to try to get back to nitty gritty rock n'roll that anyone could learn to play as opposed to the progressive bands and super groups who at the time were dominating the charts and/or had strayed away from their original sound, and were distant from their fans by means of musical skill, physical accessibility, and attitude. I don't want to give the impression that I am knocking progressive bands as a whole, since I do love progressive rock.... But, I do agree about The Sex Pistols' sensationalism factor. After all, the Sex Pistols were almost a total fabrication of Malcom McLaren who owned the shop 'Sex', and who previously managed the New York Dolls. He was quite the enterprenuer and ideas man, (he was somehow involved with the Situationist International movement) and after the Pistols received a large amount of attention, I'm guessing here that his shop received a lot more business due to them. And in turn the Pistols made way for other less rude, more talented and more positive punk bands, (my personal favorite, The Clash ) and then some bands far more obscene and less skilled than the Pistols themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know . . . but it just seems to me that the singles are the highlights and the rest of the album is kind of . . . derivative. I know part of the point is that everything is supposed to sound the same, but, to me at least, cuts like "Sub-mission" and "New York City" seem boring. "Seventeen" has a nice line, though . . . "I'm a lazy sod." Always makes me laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to love the Sex Pistols and most 70's punk (although new punk is awful, i mean-avril lavigne and good charlotte is whats considered punk????!!!!!), and i agree that they are probably more famous for there singles,image and attitude,not there musical skills (really, you think Sid was hired cuz he could play bass?) but there always good when you wanna crank up the volume and listen to something REAL loud. But sometimes i feel kinda funny listening to 'em, when i think about how they fired original bassist Glen Mattlock because he liked the Beatles! (unlike other punk bands at the time-like the Clash,Ramones and Iggy Pop, who have all admitted there like for the fab 4)

anyway- sometimes i just cant stand KISS. They have some good music, but what annoys me more is the fact that they spend more time trying to sell there merchandise then making music.

P.S Stairway to heaven is a good song, but is WAY overrated, i remember hearing it for the first time after these wannabe guitarists told me how awesome it is and remember thinking Thats it?!!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2004, 10:03 AM   #66
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperland Kamer Posted:

I happen to love the Sex Pistols and most 70's punk (although new punk is awful, i mean-avril lavigne and good charlotte is whats considered punk????!!!!!), and i agree that they are probably more famous for there singles,image and attitude,not there musical skills (really, you think Sid was hired cuz he could play bass?) but there always good when you wanna crank up the volume and listen to something REAL loud. But sometimes I feel kinda funny listening to 'em, when I think about how they fired original bassist Glen Mattlock because he liked the Beatles! (unlike other punk bands at the time-like the Clash, Ramones and Iggy Pop, who have all admitted their like for the fab 4)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Glen Matlock was not fired because he liked the Beatles; that was just another rumour made up by Malcolm McLaren to boost their rebel image. I don't think any of the Sex Pistols actually had strong feelings about the Beatles either way. (Anyway, Sid Vicious was liked Abba! )The reason Matlock was fired was simply because of a personality clash with Johnny Rotten: Rotten hated his guts (rather arbitrarily, it seems) and wanted to bring his friend Sid on board.

Have you ever read Johnny Rotten's book? It explains everything there. Including the awful joke they played on Glen Matlock. Poor guy, he never did anything to deserve it.
Old Aug 03, 2004, 11:37 AM   #67
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Have you ever read Johnny Rotten's book? It explains everything there. Including the awful joke they played on Glen Matlock. Poor guy, he never did anything to deserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually i havent gotten round to reading his book, but im curious now- what did they do ?
Old Aug 03, 2004, 05:51 PM   #68
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperland Kamer Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually i havent gotten round to reading his book, but im curious now- what did they do ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too embarrassed to say. Um, do you actually have the book with you? In the copy I have, it's explained on page 117 in section 08. If you don't own the book, I'm sure the library will have it.

I haven't read either of them all the way through, but I've read parts of both Johnny Rotten's book and Glen Matlock's, and they both present a *radically* different image of their relationship. You have to wonder what the truth really is. Anyway, at least it turns out they told Glen about it later, and he was a pretty good sport about it too. That makes it a little better. :-/
Old Aug 03, 2004, 05:57 PM   #69
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

I'm too embarrassed to say. Um, do you actually have the book with you? In the copy I have, it's explained on page 117 in section 08. If you don't own the book, I'm sure the library will have it.

Actually I dont have a copy at all!

Joe
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:10 AM   #70
PotatoBeatle
Apple Scruff

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperland Kamer Posted:

I happen to love the Sex Pistols and most 70's punk (although new punk is awful, i mean-avril lavigne and good charlotte is whats considered punk????!!!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, that's basically my same reaction to what people are calling "punk" today. I don't call it punk. There are arguments all over the internet dedicated to trying to define what's punk rock and what isn't. They're foolish though. The arguments are mostly over whether or not real punk is still alive. In my opinion I think it is, but it's underground, and it's no longer in "the spotlight". I think it left a long long time ago. The bands/artists that are all over MTV that either claim to be punk, or "give off" a "punky" image are ignorant and are fakes.

As for the thing about Glen Matlock, yeah, I never heard that he was fired for liking The Beatles! I heard it was basically over bad relations with the rest of the band and Malcom. I'm reading a book called "Return of The Last Gang in Town" , which is primarily a book on The Clash, but it gives a ton of information on the rise of the 76' -77' punk scene. One thing that it mentioned was that Glen was good friends with Clash guitarist Mick Jones, and that might've made Malcom and the rest of the Pistols a little uneasy. Both bands were competing with each other. It's a great and informative book, if you guys have the chance and are interested, you should check it out.
PotatoBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2004, 03:04 PM   #71
twovirgins
Sun King

since were in the subject i did buy never mind the bulloks(long long ago) and i think its a snapshot into a unique period heres a list of some "punk bands"ive seen live
The Ramones
Dead kennedys
toy dolls
Exploited
suicidal tendencies
Fear, and 100 more namless home grown bands I was a punker who listened to the Beatles lol dont ask!!!!!!the early 80s was fun
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2004, 09:21 AM   #72
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

[ QUOTE ]
Roxy Starkey Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
Cecilia Posted:
Argh. I can't stand any cumbia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I hate cumbia!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it too!!!!!!!!!!
Ana_Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:39 PM   #73
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

oh oh oh! I GOT THE MOST LOAVED MOST DISCUSTING MOST ANNOYING MOST STUPID MOST REVOLTING SONG EVER!.....................

"My milkshake brings all the boys to my yard and there like its better than yours and dawm right its better than yours i can teach you but i have to charge my milkshake brings all the boys to my yard and there like.........."

i have to hear that almost every day cuz this kid in the teen program has that stupid cd!

Beatle_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:18 PM   #74
beatlebangs1964

Thumbs down

If I hear Titney or anything about her even ONE more time, I think I am going to !

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Sep 27, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:05 AM   #75
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mustard View Post
"going to the chapel and were gonna get married".I'm not sure if thats the name or who it's by. it was out in the early-mid 60's. I hated it as a little kid when it was out and dislike it even more now.
We used to sing "Going to the Chapel and we're gonna get buried" because there was (or is I should say) a Chapel of Love mauseleum near my old orthodontists office.

I can't stand that "Umbrella" song it's the eh eh eh ella ella ella bit. It makes me want to hit the radio and say "The darn thing's skipping again"

Other than that and nearly every song from nowadays, it's primarily the easy listening songs that you're subjected to every time you're in a doctor's office, supermarket, store, etc etc.

If toast always lands butter side down and cats always land on their feet. Then what happens when you strap toast to a cat and drop it.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2007, 08:42 AM   #76
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

American Pie. I think it's the worst song ever. I know a lot of people like it, but I cant stand it! I hate the lyrics, I hate the melody, I hate the fact that it's like 10 minutes long, which just prolongs the hatred. yeah. Cant stand it.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2007, 07:39 PM   #77
beatlebangs1964

I hate that depressing ring-a-ting-ting "Tears of a Clown."

"Drift Away" sounds like the needle got stuck on the "I know, I know, I know..." and I'm not too fond of that darn "Umbrella" song either. Who sings that stinker about the umbrella?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 06, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 11:56 PM   #78
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

A medley of most disliked songs? Would be cool.

I would like to make a distinction between 'overplayed' and really 'poor songs'.

Poor songs:

Don't Worry Be Happy - somebody
Ring My Bell - I don't knowho
What's Up? - 4 Non-Blondes
Loving You - Minnie Ruperton

Overplayed:

Stairway To Heaven...
many others

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:06 AM   #79
Serena

afternoon delight, that song really defines dorky.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:33 AM   #80
beatlebangs1964

I think "If I Was a Carpenter" is just too maudlin and depressing sounding. I don't like Jim Croce either.

"Whenever I See Your Smiling Face," a 1977 stinkeroo by James Taylor. That is one very irritating song!

"Outta Space," a 1972 toilet filler by Joe Tex. I had to put up with that one every day at camp and to this day I still hate it. I was so sick of it to the point of it has been permanently ruined for me.

I don't like "Birthday" by the Beatles.

I don't like 1985's "We Are the World." While I respect and recognize the talents who made that one possible and the rationale for the song, I hate the song; think it dreadfully maudlin and I hate the way it makes me feel.

I hate the Supremes' 1968 "Love Child." I hear it every day at work and I intensely hate the song. I find the lyrics extremely hurtful and very offensive and I hope I never hear it again.

Another stinker that I hate is one I hear every day at work. I don't know the name or the artist, but some of the lyrics are "don't leave me here (repeatedly, like the dude's needle got stuck")," "you turn me on (repeatedly, like the dude's needle got stuck)," "one road to Rome and another to Mecca." I'm sick of the song and I am not overly fond of it.

"Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" because the Witherspoon's "I know, I know..." is so repeated I think that during the days of records his needle got stuck!

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 16, 2007 at 04:37 AM.