BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Default Wilburys Collaborations

This is... a project I've been working on. There's still holes, I think. Feel free to add more.
I had some help filling it in, from people on forums I'm on (the only ones I can think of are GH.com and Strawberry Fields).

1960s
  • In 1963, the Beatles and Roy Orbison toured together.
  • In 1964, Bob Dylan met, influence, and introduced the Beatles to pot.

1970s
  • Bob Dylan and George Harrison co-wrote "I'd Have You Anytime." They also recorded 'Nowhere To Go' which is unreleased.
  • Harrison's 'Behind that Locked Door' was about Dylan (if I have my facts right)
  • In New York, Harrison and Dylan did some recordings called 'The Bootleg Series.'
  • Harrison covered Dylan's 'If Not For You'
  • George and Jim played on John Lennon's 'I Don't Wanna be a Soldier.'
  • Bob Dylan and Jim Keltner (a Sidebury) were both at George's Concert for Bangladesh.
  • George and Jim both play on Gary Wright's "Footprint" album.
  • George and Jim both played on the Live Jam from "Some Time In New York City"
  • George and Jim both played on Dave Mason's album "It's Like You Never Left"
  • George and Jim both play on Ringo Starr's song 'Photograph.'
  • Jim Keltner was in the band of George's 1974 US tour
  • Tom Petty first met George Harrison in 1974.
  • George and Jim both play on the Splinter album "The Place I Love"
  • Harrison's song, 'It's What You Value' was written about Jim Keltner.
  • Jim Keltner appears in George's video 'This Song.' He plays the judge.
  • Jim Keltner played on a lot of George's albums.
  • In 1979 (I think), for Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's song "Refugee", Jim suggested they overdub a shaker on it. They did, and it sounded good.

1980s
  • George and Jeff performed on stage at the NEC concert in Birmingham UK.
  • In 1986/early 1987, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the backup for one of Bob Dylan's tours.
  • Petty co-wrote Dylan's "I've Got My Mind Made Up" (Howie Epstein also plays bass on the track). On the album, 'Knocked Out Loaded', Petty and Mike Campbell play guitar.
  • In Australia, Petty produced a rare Dylan single -- "Band of the Hand."
  • On a very rare track, Harrison covered Dylan's 'I Don't Want To Do It.'
  • Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Mike Campbell co-wrote "Jammin' Me."
  • In 1986 Lynne helped George to record the sountrack for Shanghai Surprise (their first project together) on which he co-produced "Hottest Gong In Town" and co-wrote and co-produced "Zig Zag". A remix version for "That's The Way It Goes" that later appered on When We Was Fab 12", was also made in these sessions for unknown purposes.
  • George and Jeff did the famous KLOS radio show
  • Both Lynne and Harrison attended the 'Prince's Trust Concert.'
  • During the Cloud Nine sessions Lynne produced a few tracks for Duane Eddy of which George plays with Keltner and Jim Horn on "Theme For Something Really Important" and "The Trembler".
  • Jeff Lynne produced Harrison's album 'Cloud 9.' I also think Jim played on it. Lynne also had a cameo appearance in the video for "When We Was Fab." VIDEO
  • George, Bob and Jeff played on stage at the R&R Hall Of Fame show inducting of The Beatles.
  • Harrison and Dylan are invited on stage to play with Taj Majal at the Palomino Club.
  • In 1988 Lynne and Petty co-wrote a song for Del Shannon, "Walk Away", which was recorded during the Full Moon Fever sessions. Lynne and Campbell then co-produced Shannon's posthumous album "Rock on!" two years later.
  • Petty's Full Moon Fever was actually recorded before the Traveling Wilburys formed, although released later. Jeff Lynne produced it, and George Harrison and Roy Orbison contributed to it. George and Jeff were also in the "I Won't Back Down" music video, along with Petty, Ringo Starr, and Mike Campbell (I originally called him 'crazy hair guitarist') VIDEO
  • Petty and Harrison co-wrote "Cheer Down." Lynne produced it.
  • Orbison's 'Mystery Girl' album was produced by Orbison, Lynne, and Mike Campbell (of Petty's Heartbreakers). Orbison, Petty, and Lynne co-wrote 'You Got It,' and 'California Blue.' Also, most of the Heartbreakers and Jim Keltner is on it. Harrison played guitar on 'A Love So Beautiful,' co-written by Orbison and Lynne

1990s
  • Lynne produced a new version of the Beatles song "I Call Your Name" for Ringo. Petty also played guitar and sang backing vocals on it.
  • Lynne wrote the title song for Jim Horn's album Work It Out. Lynne produced it and also sang backing vocals on it along with Petty.
  • Harrison played guitar on Dylan's "Under The Red Sky."
  • Lynne produced Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's "Into the Great Wide Open."
  • George and Jeff did backing vocals and acoustic guitars for a version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Jeff Healey Band
  • Jeff Lynne co-produced Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's 'Christmas All Over Again'
  • Tom presented the Billboard Century Award to George.
  • Lynne produced "Heartbreak Radio" and "I Drove All Night" for Orbison's posthumous album King Of Hearts. He also remixed "Ooby Dooby" for The Very Best of Roy Orbison.
  • George and Petty attended the Bob Dylan The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration in 1993. George performed "Absolutely Sweet Marie" and "If Not For You" and Petty performed "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" and "Mr Tambourine Man" with the Heartbreakers. At the end they both joined Dylan and a bunch of other people to perform "My Back Pages" and "Knocking On Heaven's Door".
  • During a tour with George Harrison, Eric Clapton couldn't make it to one show. Mike Campbell, of the Heartbreakers, filled in for him. Then Mike stole Eric's drummer, Steve Ferrone, for the Heartbreakers.
  • Lynne co-produced "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" for The Beatles.

2000s
  • Harrison played guitar on Jeff Lynne's album 'Zoom.'
  • Jeff Lynne produced Harrison's last ( :'( ) album, Brainwashed. Jim played drums on it.
  • Concert for George. Lynne and Petty were in it.
  • Lynne and Petty inducted Harrison into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.
  • Jeff also produced Petty's latest album, "Highway Companion.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 17, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Jim and George both played on John's "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mamma" from the "Imagine" album

Jim and George both played on Gary Wright's "Footprint" album.

Jim and George both played on the Live Jam from "Some Time In New York City"

Jim and George both played on Dave Mason's album "It's Like You Never Left"

Jim and George both play on "Photograph"

Jim and George both play on the Splinter album "The Place I Love"

Jim Keltner was in the band of George's 1974 US tour

George and Jeff performed on stage at the NEC concert in Birmingham UK
George and Jeff did the famous KLOS radio show
George, Bob and Jeff played on stage at the R&R Hall Of Fame show inducting of The Beatles.

George played guitar on "Every Little Thing", "September Song" and "Stormy Weather" on Jeff's album Armchair Theatre

Tom presented the Billboard Century Award to George.

To be continued...
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:29 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles View Post
2000s
  • Jeff Lynne produced Harrison's last ( :'( ) album, Brainwashed. Jim played drums on it.
Jeff also played on Brainwashed, as also Ayrton Wilbury (Dhani)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, when I say 'produced', I generally mean 'played on' as well.]

Thanks. :)

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 17, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:08 PM   #5
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

Quote:
[*]During a tour with George Harrison, Eric Clapton couldn't make it to one show. Mike Campbell, of the Heartbreakers, filled in for him. Then Mike stole Eric's drummer, Steve Ferrone, for the Heartbreakers.
I would check your sources about this one. Although I am unsure Campbell playing with Harrison in Japan, I know for a fact that Ferrone first played with Petty (and the Heartbreakers) during the Wildflowers)1993 sessions, where he was auditioned as a session man, and he only joined the band months later.

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:08 PM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou114 View Post
I would check your sources about this one. Although I am unsure Campbell playing with Harrison in Japan, I know for a fact that Ferrone first played with Petty (and the Heartbreakers) during the Wildflowers)1993 sessions, where he was auditioned as a session man, and he only joined the band months later.
Oh I hadn't noticed this yet.

Yeah I can not recall Mike Campbell playing in Japan. It would have been mentioned on the album or being showed in one of the many videos.

I would say this is about the 1992 concert in London for the National Law Party where George played with just about the whole band from the Japan tour, however Mike Campbell played in stead of Eric Clapton and Will Lee in stead of Nathan East. They played a set list quite equal to Japan.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:08 AM   #7
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
OH! That was the Royal Albert Hall in England. I really need to be more specific. Petty clearly mentions it in Conversations with Tom Petty:

Quote:
Mike [Campbell] brought him [Steve Ferrone, current drummer for the Heartbreakers]. George Harrison had done a tour with Eric Clapton and his band. And then George was booked to do one or two shows at the Royal Albert Hall in England. And Eric couldn't make the show. But the band did. And George asked Mike if he would take Eric's spot and play lead guitar. So Mike played lead guitar on those shows. And that's where he met Ferrone, because Ferrone was in Eric's band.
Yes, it was Wildflowers (Ringo is on 'To Find A Friend', if anyone's interested -- and Wildflowers was a solo album) when they first brought him in. If my memory is working, he did one take, and they went "Okay, you're in the band."

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 18, 2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:36 AM   #8
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Just an important note:
Ringo did NOT play on 'I Won't Back Down'. He is only in the video. A lot of people get confused over this, but the credits for Full Moon Fever shows:

Tom Petty - Lead & Background Vocals, Acoustic and Electric, 6 & 12 String Guitars, some Keyboards and Tambourines
Mike Campbell - Guitars (solos), Mandolin, Bass, Slide Guitar and Keyboards
Jeff Lynne - Bass, Guitars, Keyboards, and Background Vocals
Phil Jones - Drums and Percussion
George Harrison - Acoustic Guitar and Background Vocals on "I Won't Back Down"
Jim Keltner - Drums, Maracas, and Tambourine on "Love is a Long Road"
Howie Epstein - Background Vocals on "I Won't Back Down" and "Love is a Long Road"
Benmont Tench - Piano on "The Apartment Song"
Kelsey Campbell - Scream on "Zombie Zoo"
Roy Orbison - Background Vocals with the TREMBLING BLENDERS on "Zombie Zoo"
Alan Weidel, Jeff Lynne, T.P. - Hand Claps on "Feel a Whole Lot Better"
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:00 AM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

I think most of us here are aware of that Aimee
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:13 AM   #10
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

Quote:
Yes, it was Wildflowers (Ringo is on 'To Find A Friend', if anyone's interested -- and Wildflowers was a solo album) when they first brought him in. If my memory is working, he did one take, and they went "Okay, you're in the band."
Well Wildflowers is technically a solo album, but all of the session musicians ended up being the Heartbreakers (minus Lynch, plus Ferrone). Tom said in the Documentary (Runnin' Down A Dream) that during the sessions it became a Heartbreakers album. Oh and the song that Ferrone first played with them was "You Don't Know How It Feels"

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook

Last edited by biglou114 : Dec 19, 2007 at 06:14 AM.
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:35 AM   #11
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Well Wildflowers is technically a solo album, but all of the session musicians ended up being the Heartbreakers (minus Lynch, plus Ferrone). Tom said in the Documentary (Runnin' Down A Dream) that during the sessions it became a Heartbreakers album. Oh and the song that Ferrone first played with them was "You Don't Know How It Feels"
Yeah, it was around that time that Stan left. He literally walked off while they were doing 'Mary Jane's Last Dance.' Interesting coincidence -- Stan is in a (online) friend of mine's band. You have to remember -- Stan is the type of guy to moon everyone on a bus. (And he did!)

Also, Ferrone did drums on 'You Wreck Me.' Tom said that he had heard drum machines that couldn't do that. Stan was a great stage drummer, and Steve was a great studio drummer.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 19, 2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:13 PM   #12
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

More information on the 1986-87 Bob Dylan/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tour.

The tour was called the 'True Confessions' tour, if my source is right.

Here's some excerpts from Conversations with Tom Petty (I added notes in the square brackets):

Quote:
You met him [Bob Dylan] at Farm Aid?
I suppose it was right after that. Benmont had been doing some sessions with Bob Dylan. So he knew Bob. I didn't know Bob, though I had met him before [NOTE: In 77 or 78, Petty met Dylan at the Universal Amphitheater].
Quote:
At first we didn't play many songs of ours. We'd only do four or five in the show. And it'd be like when Bob felt like it, He'd say, 'Hey, I'm going to let The Heartbreakers do a number now.' And we'd do a couple of numbers. That'd be it. Maybe again later in the set we'd do a couple more.
That went on for about a year. And then, later in the tour, he thought people were going to want to hear more from us. Then we got to do a forty-five minute set.
Quote:
I don't know if he does that anymore, but in those days he would improvise. Or maybe do a song with Benmont suddenly that we didn't know. [NOTE: Earlier in the book, Petty was saying that Benmont could play just about any song on the piano] But he trusted Benmont, I know. I remember he did an Inkspots number one night with Ben that was really good. But we didn't know it, and we knew not to play.
Quote:
It was great playing with Bob. I even got to play the bass on some songs, when Howie would play a lap-steel. [NOTE: In Mudcrutch Petty played bass.]
Quote:
In Dylan's book Chronicles Vol. 1 he writes about touring with you, and I was surprised to read that he said that you were at the 'top of your hame' and he was at the bottom of his. [NOTE: Also, there is a part about Benmont pestering Dylan to play certain songs -- it's mentioned in a different chapter in Conversations]
Yeah, and I surprised to read that too. All I can say is that if he was at the bottom of his game, then the bottom is pretty high, because he really could be riveting on some nights. I recently saw a bootleg video of one of the shows, and I was taken back by just how great he was in the show.
In 1987, Petty's house got burned. (Arson). He went on tour for a few months, and then stopped. He went back and rebuilt his house.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 19, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
In 1987, Petty's house got burned. (Arson). He went on tour for a few months, and then stopped. He went back and rebuilt his house.
There's a little more to it. Tom and his (now ex) wife were preparing to host her birthday party at their home when the blaze broke out, with their daughter and housekeeper also inside the home. The fire destroyed almost everything except for a few guitars and tapes. Firefighters showed Petty a can of lighter fluid that had been lit and thrown against the wall, revealing the arson attempt.

"We were shaken for years by it," Petty told Reuters, adding that he could not bring himself to use the word "fire" in a song. "It's sort of like being raped, I would imagine. It really took a long time. And it was 10 times as bad, because you knew that somebody just went and did it. Somebody tried to off you."
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:44 AM   #14
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, I just didn't want to bore people. I honestly know too much about the Heartbreakers. (LOL)