BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

View Poll Results: What do you think of double/triple albums?
More music from my favorite artists? Bring it on! 7 63.64%
Too much filler--cut the fat and make 'em strong single discs 2 18.18%
They should release everything but as single discs (i.e. Use Your Illusion) 0 0%
They're hit and miss; I don't care either way 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Default Double Albums

Some people consider them instances of an artist's brilliance overflowing to the point where one disc can't hold it all. Others look at them as the ultimate in a performer's excess. Where do you stand when it comes to double (or triple) albums?

Personally, most of the ones I own are pretty solid throughout--maybe not pound for pound perfect but they have enough good songs to justify a longer running time. I can't imagine Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness being a single album--and listening to the B-sides I can't fathom why they didn't release it as a triple album. I could live without the jam disc from ATMP but the other two discs are classic from start to finish. The Foo Fighters' In Your Honor barely cracks the 80-minute mark but it's good that some of the songs that would probably have been relegated to B-sides got a chance to make the album.

That said, Red Rose Speedway and Tug of War would be significantly less impressive if they'd been released as double albums and I won't even get into McCartney II. STINYC is pretty weak anyway so the live jam disc really doesn't add or detract much.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
raul
Paperback Writer

I think there are also quadrilple + albums, but I don't know if theyre studio albums. An old geezer I was talking about long ago, has Woodstock onLP, I think it's quadriple. Are there any quadriple studio LPs? I can't even recall tiple studio LPs, but I know that there are some.

I never liked the White album, except when I first heard it and was impressed by the unorthodoxity of it, but then I realised music isnt good at all inho. But, I don't think that has got anything to do with it being a double album. I simply don't particulary like any of the songs.

I guess the second most famous double (or even first imho, I know a lot more peolpe that have heard of it than the White album) is The Wall by Pink Floyd. But, I don't like Pink Floyd at all, so...

Electric Ladyland-I don't like his music, either, I find it a bit wearying, tiresome, toilsome.

I have heard other double LPs, just can't recall which, so it's hard for me to vote so I didn't. I'll simply google "double albums", or whatever, and then vote, and give an explanation.

What's ATMP? STINYC? NYC stands for New York City?

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Some groups had the musical "strength" to pull off a double album. Tommy by The Who, Quadraphenia, The Wall had a lot to digest but worth the listen if you got into the groove of what they were saying. Electric Lady Land could have been trimmed down but it was Jimi's first album recorded in his own studio, Electric Lady studio, and his last with the Experience. And The White album would not be The White album we know and love had it not been double, although if they had decided to trim it down it would have been just as groovy, I think.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:14 AM   #4
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

I love double albums! However, there is always one disc that I listen to more than the other, and perhaps they could stand alone in the end.

For example, on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass I prefer listening to the 2nd album; and on The Beatles "White Album" I prefer listening to the 1st album.

Some albums you don't have the choice, like with Pink Floyd's The Wall. It just wouldn't be the same experience if it weren't a double album...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:58 AM   #5
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToTellYou View Post
I love double albums! However, there is always one disc that I listen to more than the other, and perhaps they could stand alone in the end.

For example, on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass I prefer listening to the 2nd album; and on The Beatles "White Album" I prefer listening to the 1st album.

Some albums you don't have the choice, like with Pink Floyd's The Wall. It just wouldn't be the same experience if it weren't a double album...
I have the same phenomonon with the White album. But, side 3 on the LP is also very rocking.

Is The Wall a concept album? There's the film, of course, if it's a concept album, that would explain it, maybe?

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Tommy would not have worked as a single album.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:10 AM   #7
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Only few artists can really muster a good double album. Some have difficulties even to fill a best of double album.

But maybe somebody will give away a music Blu-Ray disc? Imagine a musical journey of 50 hours.

Richard Wagner turns in his grave.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

All Things Must Pass would have been better as a single release. Double albums seem to be an ego thing, "Look how many songs I've got!!!"

Even the White Album, if everyone is honest, would have been better as a single album.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:11 PM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

Painful as the thought may be, I think I must side with Gnome again. Unless it's a compilation, i.e. greatest hits album, I don't think I've yet to come across a double (studio) album that truly delivers. Perhaps with groups it's more an inability by the different members to come to an agreement rather than the "brag factor", yet the end result is the same for the listener.

The white album example is interesting. I wonder how many of us truly love every track on that one?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:49 PM   #10
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post

Even the White Album, if everyone is honest, would have been better as a single album.
Without agreeing or disagreeing, would you be willing to list the songs that made your single White Album? What would you include/remove? Thanks.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Legs
Sun King

If they are good they are good, if not then not.
Overall I like the double albums I have, otherwise I wouldn't have bougth them.

I voted for the first option, more music.
I don't agree that it's mere filler. Ofcourse there might be a few songs that aren't as good, but not more then on a single album. Even on some single albums there might be a few songs that are not up to standard.

"All Things Must Pass" is a beautiful double album, I can do without the third lp of jams, but still a beautiful double album.
There are some songs on The Wall that I can live without, but not enough to make it a single album. The concept works as it is.
As for the White album. Again imo just a few songs I don't like, but I would rather have most of it then to get rid of about half the songs to make it a single album. Besides ask each Beatle fan to come up with a single record White album and they each would put different songs on their list. So that comfirms to me that the Beatles were right to release it as a double album. While I don't doubt that the majority of fans doesn't love every song on the album, I do think that every song has a fan that likes it. Does it make for a strong album overall? I don't think it would have been stronger as a single album.

Last edited by Legs : Jul 22, 2008 at 02:05 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:14 PM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
If they are good they are good, if not then not.
That is a bit where I am too. There are quite some but not always do I find them filled too much with unnecessary songs.

I think it also has to do with how you think of the artist or group? Most of us here are Beatles fans and we have so often tried to cut down the White Album to a single album but isn't it hard?

Examples for me are

Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young - 4 Way Street

I did not play each song every time I played the LP set but I don't do that with George's ATMP either, but I love the double album as a whole.

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

a bit the same story..I would not wanna delete any of these

Neil Diamond - Love At The Greek

same story

ELO - Out Of The Blue

I have played that thousands of times I think and would also not know which one to delete and also in this case...it just is a double album...you can't just think like "yeah it would have been better to do it in 2 releases" because the story of it just does not allow it.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:21 AM   #13
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I can't even recall tiple studio LPs, but I know that there are some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
"All Things Must Pass" is a beautiful double album, I can do without the third lp of jams, but still a beautiful double album.

All of you are talking about "All Things Must Pass" as a double album, but it was a triple one, wasn't it? Only Legs, who seems to consider ATMP a double album, has talked about the "third" LP. I think I could have done without that third LP (although I seem to have grown accustomed to it), too, but it counts anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:30 PM   #14
zonymous007
Little Child

Send a message via MSN to zonymous007

Arguably, All Things Must Pass would have worked better as a single album. It works well enough, but there is too much material, especially the third part with the long jams.

But I don't think The White Album would be that much better with one record. Of course there are way too many songs, but I find that the great thing about the album. The other great double album is Dylan's Blonde on Blonde (the first double album). There's also The Stones' Exile on Main St., but I never really got into that apart from a few tracks.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Legs
Sun King

To bring up the White Album again,
it has some filler but not much, just a few tracks that could have been left off. For the most part it's all great songs.

All Things Must Pass is a tripple album indeed, I often forget that but then the jam part isn't my favourite part from ATMP. And I don't agree it would have worked better as a single album, what is there to left off, I like almost every song from it and it's a great listening experience.

Last edited by Legs : Aug 13, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote