BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:25 AM   #21
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouseofdistinction View Post
Really, aside from the fact that he was the first black president for the U.S., what has he done?
I wonder if it might not be easier for those outside the US to see the point of awarding him the prize than those inside who tend to be very US-centric and focused only on our internal issues. I think it's mostly an attitude shift that got him the prize, the acknowledgement that he's willing to discuss, negotiate, listen to what leaders from other countries have to say rather than just blustering in with a "We're the US, we're bigger and more powerful than you, so what you think and what you want doesn't matter, you'll do as we say" attitude of some of his predecessors, which honestly? Has NOT endeared us to the rest of the world. And maybe the US-centric people in the country don't care about how the rest of the world sees us, but in an increasing global world, me personally, I think it's better for us to be seen as a leader, but not a bully.

As I said, I think the prize is somewhat premature, but I am hoping he will live up to it in time.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:00 AM   #22
FPSHOT
Sun King

You got a valid point here Rell, local/international issue.

Just do not forget that eyes are always focussed on the US and especially because of two very important issues

- the economic crisis which originates in the US but has impact worldwide to millions of people including myself and my family and I am not really with what it created

- the importancy of the US worldwide by choice to have a dominant role, which in many cases is good and in many is proven not to be good. Yet, Obama and his team do make good progress in repair.

So to just let you guys do your own thing is impossible for many reasons.

As to this often coming up issue of being bigger, well the European Union has 3 times the population of the US, so in square metres/yards sure, maybe so, but otherwise.. and more powerful, well the Europeans are continuously being begged to support in things like Afghanistan etc, so also there...well..

You guys love to be seen as leader, which is fine even though it has not always worked out that well, but for now with Obama in the chair at least things are brighter.

Enjoy the fact that you have a popular enthousiastic strategic team-working hard working accomplishing resulting President :)

Wonderful issue huh, politics

Last edited by FPSHOT : Oct 13, 2009 at 05:09 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:31 PM   #23
LovinLennon909
Taxman

I think it's kind of hilarious because the nomination cut off was like 11 days after he took office. I mean, I voted for the guy and am (as of yet) proud to have done so, but come on.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:07 PM   #24
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
You guys love to be seen as leader, which is fine even though it has not always worked out that well, but for now with Obama in the chair at least things are brighter.
I think after WWII, we/US were leaders of peace and goodwill, we/US did contribute to the rebuilding of Europe and Japan, that is old history, maybe our/US politicians see themselves as leaders still?, as far as the general public here in the US, I think we are greatful to live where we live, as are most of their own countries and see all nations peoples working their hardest to make a good life for themselves and their loved ones(nothing superior about that)...

I am quite proud of Mr. Obama, if 1/2 of what he would like to do as president comes to fruition, it would be awesome!

I agree HPSHOT, Mr. Obama has brightened things up in the US and worldwide.....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:36 PM   #25
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
Where some of these efforts before he became president?
I think they Nobel panel were probably quite influenced by the European tour during his campaign.

Speeches, of course, are not actions, but sometimes they truly do incite and inspire actions that effect profound change. Think of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" as a good example.

Obama is probably the first strong communicator we've had on the world political stage since Ronald Reagan. Whether you agreed with Reagan or not (and I certainly had my own disagreements with him), he was able to incite and inspire in that way. And his "Tear this wall down!" moment was quite powerful, and I am sure it contributed to the movement that resulted in the fall of the Berlin Wall and of Soviet Communism in general.

Obama has the potential to incite and inspire in just this way, and today's culture doesn't seem to recognize the power of that--for both good and evil--but that power is there. Reagan had it, Kennedy had it, Kruschev had it, Hitler and Mussolini had it. It can change the world for better, and it can change the world for the very worst.

People who think that Obama is "only a great speaker" just don't get what a big deal it is to be a truly great speaker.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:57 PM   #26
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Reagan and Obama may have inspired some, but they disenchanted just as many. Absolutely I think it's easier for international people to see the merit in this because from a standpoint of the US alone, the country is more divided now than it has been for four decades.

I'm saying all this as someone largely indifferent to Obama. The way I see it, it's equivalent to an entrepreneur presenting his business plan and making promises. Ok, here's the investment--now let's see it flourish. Hopefully it does.

I would like to formally request a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Oscars committee now so that I have the motivation to live up to and earn it before I die.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:33 PM   #27
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Just thought I'd bump this one up, as the "peace" prize winner is moments away from totally escalating a war.

I agree we should do whatever it takes to get the job done over there and come home. But the Nobel is a total joke, how anybody could come to a different conclusion is beyond reason.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:13 PM   #28
beatlelover45223

I agree with the troop deployment escalation, let's get it done and get our troops home, as I said before, I think the Nobel committee was premature in awarding the prize to President Obama!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:55 PM   #29
Dr. Robert

It's not a total joke. Who do you propose should have won the Peace prize? Name a few people, I'd like to know. Obama has been working hard to mend fences around the globe. Our credibility has been obliterated by the arrogance of the Bush administration and we have precious few allies left to show for it. He (Obama) has alot of work ahead of him to undo the damage that was done. The problem is that everyone wants a quick fix and the issues we have don't resolve overnight. To rub his nose in it as the recipient because of the 30,000 troop escalation (it would be only a 'surge' in Republican parlance) is unfair. The troops being deployed aren't being sent there on a seek and destroy mission, they are going there in an effort to stabilize key areas and that requires reinforcement. This is to secure things as best they can and get our troops the hell home as quickly and safely as possible.

Last edited by 834 : Dec 01, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Whether or not commanding 100,000 troops fighting a war is a "peaceful" act is really not worth discussing. Like I said before, I agree with what's being done over there and how it's being done.

But I think most people have forgotten this small inconvenient truth - two weeks after Obama became president, he was nominated for the award. That's 14 days people, 14 days.

So I ask again - how could he truly deserve the nomination and award?

Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:02 PM   #31
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
Who do you propose should have won the Peace prize? Name a few people, I'd like to know.
I know that this is the Off Topic area, but...

Ringo Starr, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon have done more in the last 12 minutes to promote peace than Obama has in his first 12 days or 10 months. Personally, I think that the Beatles are more deserving than Obama.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:37 PM   #32
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Whether or not commanding 100,000 troops fighting a war is a "peaceful" act is really not worth discussing. Like I said before, I agree with what's being done over there and how it's being done.

But I think most people have forgotten this small inconvenient truth - two weeks after Obama became president, he was nominated for the award. That's 14 days people, 14 days.

So I ask again - how could he truly deserve the nomination and award?
Because the prize has/had nothing to do with anyone being in ANY office or how long they've been in office. It had nothing to do with him being president. There have only been 4 presidents that have ever received it. Period. You are only focusing on the length of time he was in office, and it's not relevant.

Last edited by 834 : Dec 01, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:04 PM   #33
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
Obama has been working hard to mend fences around the globe.
I'm quoting your earlier reasoning for giving Obama the award. I assumed you meant his actions during the last year, that's why I brought up the timing of his nomination. But now you're saying his length of time in office is irrelevant, and that is most definitely true.

Ok... So exactly when did all of these actions take place? When was he "working hard" around the globe? If we can't count the lengthy first 14 days of his presidency, was it while he was a senator? In his college years?

The answer is pretty obvious - he did absolutely nothing to deserve the award. Even he was embarrassed by it.

Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:26 PM   #34
hibgal
Sun King

Still, if he truly felt undeserving, Obama could've declined it.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:11 AM   #35
Dr. Robert

Who should have received the award Jerry?
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:26 AM   #36
twovirgins
Sun King

here would have been a good canidate

[quote] Several bi-partisan U.S. Congressional representatives nominated Mortenson for the Nobel Peace Prize this year. The award recipient is chosen by a secret process and announced in October [/qoute]
http://www.stonesintoschools.com/200...hools-in-asia/

BOZEMAN, MONT. – Greg Mortenson is waging a personal war against terrorism halfway around the world from a basement in Montana.

But he doesn’t use guns or bombs; his tools are pencils.

It’s 4 a.m. and Mr. Mortenson is sitting in his dimly lit office, surrounded by books on Asian history, the Taliban, and Al Qaeda. Soon a fax arrives in Urdu. Later, Mortenson, a stout, soft-spoken mountaineer, is speaking on a staticky line with a Shiite cleric in northern Pakistan.

His mission: To help set up schools for young Muslims – mainly girls – in a remote part of the world where the United States is often despised.

Mortenson admits that rural Montana is an odd place for a humanitarian base camp. But, as he arranges his next flight to Islamabad, geographical distance is the least of his obstacles. Given a potential US invasion of Iraq and resistance at home from critics who condemn his enigmatic crusade, he is concerned about bridging the growing gulf between America and the Muslim world.

“We’ve reached a pivotal moment in world history, and it’s the choices we make now that will define us,” says Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute here. “Mahatma Gandhi said you can not shake hands with a closed fist. To fight terrorism with only war and not compassion is futile.”

Since 1993, he has helped build dozens of schools for Muslim girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Working with Islamic mullahs and village chieftains, he plans to put up many more in the months ahead.

Though not wealthy himself, Mortenson raises money tirelessly to support his cause. In the process, he has earned the respect of many politicians and business leaders alike. Rep. Mary Bono (R) of California, calls herself a “cheerleader” for Mortenson’s methods. She says the Central Asia Institute shows how fresh alternatives to US foreign aid can reach the ground faster and achieve results at a fraction of the cost of traditional programs.

Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D) of North Dakota, who visited Afghanistan a year ago, is another admirer. “Educating girls is one of the most effective means of promoting economic growth,” he says.

The genesis of Mortenson’s crusade was improbable in itself. It stems from a failed attempt to scale the summit of Pakistan’s famed K2 in the Karakorum range a decade ago. Forced to abandon the punishing ascent by physical exhaustion, Mortenson was nursed back to health by Islamic mountain dwellers in Korphe, a remote outpost in the unforgiving terrain.

For decades, Western climbers have visited the region on expensive outdoor adventures – often tapping local people as cheap labor to haul their gear – but few gave anything back.

To repay the villagers’ kindness, Mortenson asked the local mullah what he could do, and discovered that one of every three infants in the region dies before reaching its first birthday. Furthermore, the literacy rate is less than three percent; among women it is one-tenth of one percent.

Mortenson returned to the US, sold all of his worldly possessions to underwrite projects in Korphe, and has been on a fundraising quest ever since. Every year, the son of former Lutheran missionaries spends at least five months in the Karakorum, compiling a list of requests for more than 60 schools.

On this early morning, though, Mortenson is torn by the thought of leaving his two young children and his wife, Tara Bishop (who grew up in a family of famed Himalayan mountaineers), for another extended trip to the region.

“The long absences from my family are painful,” he says, “but when I look into the eyes of children in Afghanistan and Pakistan, I see my own children. I want my own kids and their counterparts to live in peace, but that will not happen unless we teach them alternatives to the cycle of terrorism and war.”
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:31 AM   #37
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Me.

No, seriously, I don't know who on the world scene deserved the nomination and award. Some leader in the cause for peace in his or her country or region, not necessarily a president of a country or a politician, but just a person making a true difference.

But I do know that in the first week of February of this year, they had absolutely no reason to nominate Obama. And if he felt that he deserved it at that time, then that would be the topper.

Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:52 AM   #38
Dr. Robert

I don't think that he felt worthy of the award. He was embarrassed by it.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:22 PM   #39
hibgal
Sun King

It could've been worse. They could've given the Peace Price to Bush!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:19 PM   #40
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
It could've been worse. They could've given the Peace Price to Bush!
Obama has already shown us that he and Bush aren't that much different from one another when it comes to war. Don't kid yourself. Obama's still gonna keep U.S. Armed Forces deployed in 150 countries around the world.

At this point, both of them EQUALLY have no business being discussed for anybody's peace prize.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote