BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default Stella McCartney's employees are not allowed to eat fish

Stella McCartney's employees are not allowed to eat fish

http://www.topnews.in/stella-mccartn...t-fish-2221238

The fashion designer who is a strict vegetarian and animal rights activist has banned tuna and other seafood from her offices because she doesn't want visitors to think she is secretly eating animals.

The 38-year-old star explained: "Sometimes, at lunchtime, I can really smell fish when people are eating, and then I'll shout, 'OK guys, enough fish. My argument is, if a journalist comes into our office and it stinks of fish, that's weird." Stella's inherited her love of animals from her parents, Beatles star Sir Paul McCartney and his late first wife Linda McCartney, a committed animal rights activist.

She told Guardian: "The way my parents brought me up to see the world is still absolutely key to what I am about. The beliefs I was raised with to respect animals and to be aware of nature, to understand that we share this planet with other creatures have had a huge impact on me.

"I was brought up to understand that we are all here on planet earth together. The idea of taking responsibility for what we take out of the earth... it's not something we sat down and had lessons in. As a way of thinking it came quite naturally."
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

That's strange... I kind of understand it, but telling your employees they can't eat certain foods... unless there's an allergy, that seems a bit much, don't you think? I understand not wanting to eat animals, but making other people around you not eat animals is like a step in the direction of fascism! (Okay, over exaggeration...). Seriously, though: toleration of other viewpoints doesn't just go one way. Surely she understands that not everyone shares her beliefs, and that getting in the way of them eating a carnivorous lunch would be similar to them making her eat a bacon cheeseburger... or something... maybe...?

Certainly a reporter coming into her office and smelling fish would understand that not everyone is a vegetarian, wouldn't they?

Now, if she supplied lunch for everyone, that's a different story altogether... .

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:23 AM   #3
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I'm trying to see this from the journalist's perspective.

"Ho-de-hum, into Stella McCartney's office I go...la-de-dah...*sniff* *sniff* *confused sniff* Is that...*sniff*...fish I smell? This is Stella McCartney's office...and it smells like fish? So by the transitive property...Stella McCartney has been eating fish. Good Lord! What other sick, twisted things are these McCartneys doing? I'm going to go print a story that Paul McCartney is selling heroin to toddlers!"

So I guess it does make sense.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I'm trying to see this from the journalist's perspective.

"Ho-de-hum, into Stella McCartney's office I go...la-de-dah...*sniff* *sniff* *confused sniff* Is that...*sniff*...fish I smell? This is Stella McCartney's office...and it smells like fish? So by the transitive property...Stella McCartney has been eating fish. Good Lord! What other sick, twisted things are these McCartneys doing? I'm going to go print a story that Paul McCartney is selling heroin to toddlers!"

So I guess it does make sense.
That makes total sense!!! If I were that journalist, I would so be thinking the same thing!!!

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

Default Where there's a will

Stella just got to stop being so cheap and get her employees a proper lunch room, with ventilation. Then they can eat their fish there at their hearts content without stinking down their offices. Problem solved and no messing with ol' dad's squeaky clean reputation either.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Oh, wow. Diva much, Stella?
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:57 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

She is her father's daughter.

Paul, from what I understand has a strict rule about only vegan regimens for his staff. Stella has taken this concept and applied it to fish.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:45 PM   #8
hibgal
Sun King

I'm surprised you can legally do that in UK, which is part of EU of course, and not get into trouble for employee discrimination. VERY tough laws on it in Europe.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Oct 08, 2009, 12:50 AM   #9
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Yeah I BB is right - she certainly is her father's daughter. Paul has apparently fired people in his crew for being meat-eaters when on tour when they had previously said they were veggie.

It is a tricky one alright - I totally understand why she would want to impose that rule. I'm not sure if it is a violation of rights. She is saying there is no meat or fish at work - not no meat or fish EVER for anyone who works for her. I would think that at an interview stage perhaps it would come up then - that she would say that there is a meat-free policy at work.
I think it is just a matter of keeping it out of the work place and really, that isn't too much of a big deal in my opinion.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 02:12 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

A question remains of course which is, 'why suddenly now'.

If you allow it first and then suddenly say 'enough fish'.. because of possible visitors ...... but oh well, it is like the smoking issue, so if someone wants fish for lunch then grab the sandwich outside the office or eat it where you buy it. Half the world spends some lunchtime outside, would make a nice Google Earth picture to take a picture from above on London during a sunny lunchhour.

A pity she does not mention the horrid hygene issue of eating at a desk, which would be a much better argumentation.

And it only mentions fish, no meat which is odd. The same journalists could walk in and see them eating their less smelling ham and bacon sandwiches and raise eyebrowes with the same ringo rama result.

As veggie guy I do like the initiative although the argumentation is weak.

But to hear she is Paul's daughter is nice. I did know that already though.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Oct 08, 2009 at 02:46 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I don't see that there's anything wrong with it. A lot of companies don't let you eat ANYTHING at your desk, it's just a company policy, if you don't like it, you can go work somewhere else. It's not like she's telling them they can't go out to lunch and eat whatever they want or they can't eat what they want at night, it's just IN the office. And it's her office, she gets to make the rules. My office has weird dress code rules that I think are silly, but that's the policy, I want to keep my job, I follow them. Simple enough, really.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 04:27 AM   #12
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
A question remains of course which is, 'why suddenly now'.
Slow news day?

Quote:
As veggie guy I do like the initiative although the argumentation is weak.
The argumentation may even land her in trouble. There's been some high profile cases about people suing for discrimination, not only because they were fired but, because they weren't hired due to religious, rasistic, sexistic etc. reasons. I'm sure somebody could make a good case about veg[etari]an only employees as well. Asking "What's your view on vegetarian food?" duing a job interview can land the prospective employer in difficulty right there. Silly, perhaps, but true.

Like somebody else said. If she supplied the food, now that would be different. She couldn't force people to eat it but she could make rules about what's served.

Quote:
But to hear she is Paul's daughter is nice. I did know that already though.
Paul's daughter? No way!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Oct 08, 2009, 12:50 PM   #13
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

In all seriousness, my TV production teacher in high school used to allow us to eat in the room and watch DVDs during the lunch period...except for tuna. If you wanted to eat tuna, you went to the cafeteria because the stench was so strong and lingering. But then, it was more of a privilege to eat in the classroom, so it was only fair that we had to play by his rules.

So in conclusion, Paul McCartney sells heroin to toddlers.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
There's been some high profile cases about people suing for discrimination, not only because they were fired but, because they weren't hired due to religious, rasistic, sexistic etc. reasons. I'm sure somebody could make a good case about veg[etari]an only employees as well.
Except nowhere in the article does it say she won't hire or would fire somebody for not being a vegetarian. It doesn't say anything at all about hiring practices. It simply says she's made an office policy that you can't eat fish IN the office. Her office, her rules. That'd be like me suing my employer because they won't let me wear sneakers at work, saying they're discriminating against sneaker-wearers. Ridiculous and frivolous.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
VersusBatman
Sun King

I think there are places that ban perfume in case someone is allergic to it.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:10 PM   #16
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Some people want to live with no smells, no odors, just sanitized, perfectly clean and sterile environment.
I'd rather have some smells, risk a few germs, get a whiff of life. Have an open window rather than these high-rise, sealed places that modern society has imposed on us.
People make noise, create smells,generally make little ripples in the pool---and I prefer it that way.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 09:10 PM   #17
beatlebangs1964

Rell makes some good points. I, too abide by a dress code at work and if I want to start a stupid and frivolous lawsuit because I can't go braless or wear body piercings (actually, I only have my ears pierced) or wear tank tops to work, then that would be silly.

My take has always been if you sign on for a job, you abide by whatever the rules are. If your boss tells you that you can't wear sneakers; eat fish; have facial tattoos or bare feet, then you accept that going in if you want the job. Play by the rules. It's that simple.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:28 PM   #18
feelfab
Dr. Robert

With all respect to the opinions here, my take on it is a little different.
When I was younger (I'm in my 50's now) we saw a lot of rules in the workplace regarding dress codes, habits, etc. and we thought while some of them make sense (like closed shoes where open ones could make you prey to injuries), a lot of them were silly. Limiting length of hair on guys, forcing women to wear skirts rather than pants, or imposing pantyhose for women and ties for guys--this sort of thing struck a lot of us as unfair, or just nonsense. We thought when we were in charge, it's be different. We'd abandon the rules that didn't make sense, and keep the ones that had a reason. Sadly, this didn't happen, because people just went along, afraid to make noise or risk censure.
Some of the 'appearance-only' rules really get to me. Judging people by looks is pretty unfair, not to mention unreliable, and one reason people keep doing it is because the business world decides what is proper and respectable and what isn't. To me this just perpetuates stereotypes and conformity.
We must remember, it wasn't too long ago (I certainly remember it) that a 'proper' business didn't hire minorities--it might look bad to the public.
As for agreeing to the rules at the job, or quitting if you don't like them; well, jobs aren't that easy to get, especially right now, and the take-it-or-leave-it dictates of companies and businesses are precisely the way that some unfortunate and unfair practices have survived over the years. Unfortunately, it isn't always a level playing field with workers and management, with management having most of the advantages.
Again, no disrespect to anyone is meant, but I've observed that it's only by a consistent questioning of rules and authority that positive change takes place.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:49 PM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfab
With all respect to the opinions here, my take on it is a little different.
...some of them make sense (like closed shoes where open ones could make you prey to injuries), a lot of them were silly. Limiting length of hair on guys, forcing women to wear skirts rather than pants, or imposing pantyhose for women and ties for guys--this sort of thing struck a lot of us as unfair, or just nonsense. We thought when we were in charge, it's be different. We'd abandon the rules that didn't make sense, and keep the ones that had a reason. Sadly, this didn't happen, because people just went along, afraid to make noise or risk censure.
Good points, Fab. The dress code I can see, but hair length and enforced skirts seem a bit stringent and harsh. I can see the rationale for professional attire and that would include dresses and pantsuits for women. While I never liked pantyhose, I wear them for form's sake and to abide by the company's rules.

And yeah, closed toe shoes make sense from a safety standpoint. Computer companies, for example have a policy about wearing hard boots in the assembly department. (I know people who work in computer companies as well as a number of engineers).

Quote:
Some of the 'appearance-only' rules really get to me. Judging people by looks is pretty unfair, not to mention unreliable, and one reason people keep doing it is because the business world decides what is proper and respectable and what isn't. To me this just perpetuates stereotypes and conformity.
Fab, I am raising my glass to your post. Prejudice has the major handicap of precluding the prejudiced person from getting to KNOW others.

Quote:
We must remember, it wasn't too long ago (I certainly remember it) that a 'proper' business didn't hire minorities--it might look bad to the public.
As for agreeing to the rules at the job, or quitting if you don't like them; well, jobs aren't that easy to get, especially right now, and the take-it-or-leave-it dictates of companies and businesses are precisely the way that some unfortunate and unfair practices have survived over the years. Unfortunately, it isn't always a level playing field with workers and management, with management having most of the advantages.
Again, no disrespect to anyone is meant, but I've observed that it's only by a consistent questioning of rules and authority that positive change takes place.
Fab, I have relatives and know others who can quote you Chapter & Verse about the Bad Old Days when Jim Crow spread his vulturine wings with corrupt laws dictating racist policies. The one thing that makes me extremely is bigotry of ANY kind. And you are right - it is NOT a level playing field with labor and management. What you said was insightful and respectful and people need to hear this. I think this is important for everybody to know.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 10, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:54 PM   #20
beatlebangs1964

And while I am at it, my relatives from Mexico do NOT ride on donkeys and smuggle tequila; I do NOT sip my tea with one pinky raised and my ancestors DID not hit themselves in the mouth going "whoo whoo whoo."

Many companies won't knowingly hire autistic employees. Many people with autism, particularly those with Asperger's can pass for neurotypical. Damn problem is that many people think people on the spectrum are like some damn savant in this 1988 movie that spawned a damn stereotype.

And another stereotype that makes me just livid is that damn rain man. That damn character is just a stereotype. Must people with autism are NOTHING like that damn character! Prodigious savantism affects less than 10% of the autistic population and the very term rain man is just as offensive a slur as any racist, religious, ethnic or national slur. This kind of thing makes me very

A related thread: http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...ghlight=racism

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 10, 2009 at 04:57 PM.