BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Oct 31, 2003, 09:16 AM   #1
shyGirl
Sun King

Default Beatles Audience Is Getting Younger

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/20...9_beatles.html

As we all get older Beatles fans are getting younger.

A survey conducted by Neilsen research in America has found that 32.7% of people who bought the Beatles '1' album were aged 18-24.

The most popular Beatles demographic is still the 40+ with 39.6% in that bracket but the 18-24 demo has shown a big increase on previous survey figures. Just prior to the release of '1' the figure for 18-24 year olds was 18.5%.

A spokesman for EMI said "Whilst it may be that a large number of younger record buyers bought The Beatles 1 as Christmas presents for their parents in 2000, we believe that The Beatles are experiencing a growing appeal with 'The 1 Generation'. As the release of 'Let It Be…Naked' is coinciding with an increase in demand for guitar-based rock and quality pop, it is hoped that this new appeal to the young will be enduring".

The Beatles 'Let It Be … Naked' will be released on November 17.
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 01:05 PM   #2
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Default Re: Beatles Audience Is Getting Younger

I think my daughter(s) and all the younger people on this board are proof that the younger generation is 'discovering' the Beatles again and providing a definite increase in sales. All I have to do is look in my living room, den and computer room for proof. I say fantastic and rock on. Spread the news.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2003, 07:51 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

of course 1 was sold mostly to younger people, the old folks already have all the albums.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2003, 08:34 AM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

why thank you ono. If that is true I'm really not old! Yeah.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 08:56 AM   #5
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine
Dr. Robert

Location: Corinth,Mississippi,USA,Earth (But can\'t I say \"The Moon Kingdom\" instead?)

Hmm...I'm in that 18-24 bracket & I find it offensive for you to imply that younger folks do NOT already have the LPs....I have speant alot of my life collecting the LPs...I would much rather have the LPs than "1".BTW,my copy of "1" my father bought me used at a pawn shoppe for $1!

I am 22 & am NOT just re"-discovering" The Beatles.I was born a Beatles fan.I have alwayz lived as a Beatles fan.And,I will die a Beatles fan.

Why are older pplz like u alwayz making fun of younger folks liking The Beatles.

I mean,Hey!,I'm not making fun of you for singing *NSync in the shower!!
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2003, 09:04 AM   #6
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

How did you know I sing NYSYNC in the shower? Hee Hee.
Even though I am old I didn't own any Beatles albums until my daughter(s) brought home '1'. I always liked them just wasn't a Big Fan. Now I do own all the cd's most of the albums and a large collection of the solo work. I don't think ono was giving young fans a hard time, I took it as the media was getting the end of the rod.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 09:29 AM   #7
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine
Dr. Robert

Location: Corinth,Mississippi,USA,Earth (But can\'t I say \"The Moon Kingdom\" instead?)

Actually,Pinky,I could not begin to imagine YOU singing *NSync in the shower. <laughs hysterically trying to imagine that>

I was just saying she made it sound as tho none of the young fans were born into being Beatles fans & were instead just now "discovering" The Beatles....lol!
I have several of the LPs myself & quite a few of the CDs.I love The Beatles,more than any other band I enjoy,but I do know they are not the only great British Invasion act in existance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Nov 01, 2003, 09:41 AM   #8
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

it would be a funny sight. (shhhhh don't tell anyone but I do actually own a cassette of that band.)

In one way tho too anyone that wasn't around in the 60's, and I do believe that would include you my dear, could be considered to 'rediscover' the band even if it was only twenty or thirty years later not necessarily 40 years later.

I myself should be embarassed that I didn't become a 'beatlemaniac' until forty years later. I was around in the 60's just not musically.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 10:17 AM   #9
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine
Dr. Robert

Wow...sad thing is I have 2 *NSync CDs & 2 of 98 Degrees.(You never heard me admit to that!).
I kinda understand what you mean.But,sometimes,the word "Beatlemaniac" is over-used.
Some-1 will say "3 words to describe yourself" & suddenly a 12-yr-old that likes 4 Beatles songs is calling themselves a "Beatlemaniac".
By the way,Chris Kirkpatrick & Joey Fatone have said that of The Beatles:"They were the O.B.!The original boy band.".That was on the documentary show on ABC called "The Beatles Revolution".
Old Nov 01, 2003, 12:53 PM   #10
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I am DELIGHTED about this. The Beatles are multicultural, multigenerational and like their song, they bring us "All Together Now!"
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2003, 11:58 PM   #11
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
of course 1 was sold mostly to younger people, the old folks already have all the albums.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">But as Ringo pointed out, they have all the songs, "Just not in that order" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:02 PM   #12
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

That makes sense. a lot of people at my school like the beatles at least a little. One girl in my Rockology class told me she has Beatles 1 and said she didnt even like the Beatles! We started getting to the beatles last week in Rockology and she surprised even herself cuz she was singing along to almost every song our teacher played! She says "okay so maybe I dont hate em as much as I thought I did." [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Nov 02, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message Edited By: lennonluvr9 ][/size]
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:35 PM   #13
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine
Dr. Robert

OK,that thing about the chick who thought she hated The Beatles,I can relate it to a pal of mine also.
My gal pal,Misty had this ex-b/f who was definitely as Beatlemaniac-y as me.He loved all thier stuff.And,Misty hated that.She alwayz said she hated The Beatles.
Well,I kept bugging her about it.Finally,she admitted she likes "Yesterday".Now,no1 can completely hate The Beatles & love 1 of thier biggest hit songs!!
I still bug her about that.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:44 PM   #14
Johnny Lover
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Lover Send a message via AIM to Johnny Lover Send a message via MSN to Johnny Lover Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Lover Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted By Yellow_Beatles_Submarine:

Some-1 will say "3 words to describe yourself" & suddenly a 12-yr-old that likes 4 Beatles songs is calling themselves a "Beatlemaniac".
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I was a Beatlemaniac at 12! And I knew ALL their songs by then. I started liking them at 10, and turned Beatlemaniac-y at around 11 or 12ish... So yeah... hehe
Johnny Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2003, 05:21 PM   #15
Number_09
Nowhere Man

Until July-ish of last year, I never really liked the beatles, but I didn't dislike them. I guess you can say that I "Re-discovered" them and fell in love with 'em in about September, when I joined Jr. band. My section leader, the other trumpet, was (and is) a HUGE fan of the Beatles and he gave me a piece of music one day and said, "Try playing this. I think you'll like it." And I loved it, the song was 'Hey Jude.' And ever since then, I've been a Beatles fan. And it wasn't really till recently that I considered myself a Beatle-maniac... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I'm 14. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Nov 02, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message Edited By: Number_09 ][/size]
Number_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2003, 12:28 AM   #16
Maxine
Dr. Robert

I think this is one of the things, that make the Beatles so special and legendary. The new generations find them all by themselves and fall in love with their music. [img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img] The Beatles´ music is immortal and lives on for generations.

Personally I discovered the Beatles in 1983 at age 11 and have been a huge fan ever since. [img]graemlins/heart2.gif[/img]
Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2003, 10:49 AM   #17
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Yellow_Beatles_Submarine:
Hmm...I'm in that 18-24 bracket & I find it offensive for you to imply that younger folks do NOT already have the LPs....I have speant alot of my life collecting the LPs...I would much rather have the LPs than "1".BTW,my copy of "1" my father bought me used at a pawn shoppe for $1!

I am 22 & am NOT just re"-discovering" The Beatles.I was born a Beatles fan.I have alwayz lived as a Beatles fan.And,I will die a Beatles fan.

Why are older pplz like u alwayz making fun of younger folks liking The Beatles.

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I certainly hope you're not alluding to me in this post. I've seen others putting down "younger" fans on this forum, but not moi. I'm only 25!!!

And pinky, sheesh, it's not like i was stating an absolute fact. it just would seem to me that many first gen fans would have the old LPs at least. if you don't (or aren't a 1st gen fan), that's fine too.

heck, i have every album but i still bought "1" anyway.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:58 PM   #18
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

I don't know why the media finds it so unusual that there are more and more younger Beatles fans. All they would have to do is show up at any given Beatles convention to see that...I mean...geez...I must've seen at least 10 competitions won by children between the ages of 2 and 8 over that last six years. [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] *

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2003, 08:18 PM   #19
Yellow_Beatles_Submarine
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By Yellow_Beatles_Submarine:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I certainly hope you're not alluding to me in this post. I've seen others putting down "younger" fans on this forum, but not moi. I'm only 25!!!

And pinky, sheesh, it's not like i was stating an absolute fact. it just would seem to me that many first gen fans would have the old LPs at least. if you don't (or aren't a 1st gen fan), that's fine too.

heck, i have every album but i still bought "1" anyway.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Sorry,if I offended you,ono...I was just trying to say that some of us younger fans were born into this & we have many of the LPs already.
Myself,I am not very big on the "1" CD & would rather have the LPs...that way ya get all the songs.
Old Nov 03, 2003, 08:28 PM   #20
Flamingheather
Apple Scruff

It shouldn't matter if beatle fans are getting younger..what matters is that the beatles are getting more & more fans no matter what age..

Younger fans are just living proof that The Beatles' music is going to be heard for generationns to come.

I'm 18 and didn't buy the 1 album when it came out because I had all of those songs already..but I still couldn't help my self so I bought the 1 this year..
Flamingheather is offline   Reply With Quote