BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 26, 2003, 06:41 PM   #61
darkhorse
Sun King

Default Re: Two day\'s Harrisong suggestion Volume 4

A truly beautiful song, with very simple lyrics... still I like it very much. One of my favorites on Dark Horse. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:23 AM   #62
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

This is one of the better songs on Dark Horse for me. But because I don't listen to that album very often, I don't get to hear this one too much. I think I will have to dig it out this afternoon and have a listen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:16 AM   #63
FPSHOT
Sun King

For the next one we go back to the Beatles Days of the album with the fantastic often mentioned tittle 'Revolver'.

I Want To Tell You

In I Me Mine George says that is is about the avalanche of thoughts that are so hard to write down or say or transmit (as now in this book).

He also says that if he was to re-write the badge section he would have to say

Although I seem to act unkind
It isn't me - it is my mind
That is confusing things

He continues; The mind is the thing that hops about, telling us to do this and to do that - when what we need is to lose (forget) the mind. A passing thought.

Well [img]graemlins/thinker.gif[/img]

The song has a very rare melody line with even some jazz hidden in it. Listen to the difference and change round the bass and drum moving from

But if I seem to act unkind
to
it's only me, it's not my mind

He did this one on the Japan tour and it has a perfect performance I would say. It is difficult to play a 1966 song in 1991 with all these elements of strange chords, false piano mixed chords, but for instance the backing vocals come out very good on the Japan album and it even gets a funky related sound.

So, just for today,

I want to tell you
My head is filled with things to say
When you're here
All those words, they seem to slip away

When I get near you
The games begin to drag me down
It's all right
I'll make you maybe next time around

But if I seem to act unkind
It's only me, it's not my mind
That is confusing things

I want to tell you
I feel hung up and I don't know why
I don't mind
I could wait forever, I've got time

Sometimes I wish I knew you well
Then I could speak my mind and tell you
Maybe you'd understand

I want to tell you
I feel hung up and I don't know why
I don't mind
I could wait forever, I've got time

I've got time
I've got time

[size="1"][ Aug 27, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message Edited By: FPSHOT ][/size]
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:09 AM   #64
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I love this song but it always kinda makes me sad because it points out the trouble people have communicating in relationships. I guess it just hits a little to close to home. Beautiful lyrics just the way they were written I don't think emotions can be second guessed in retrospect. Love his voice on this one.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:46 AM   #65
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I really like this song. It has a great tune, but whenever I hear it I always seem to listen to the lyrics more than the actual song, and try to make sense of it all. It really makes you think.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:37 PM   #66
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By sourmilkpinky:
[QB]I love this song but it always kinda makes me sad because it points out the trouble people have communicating in relationships.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">At that time, George already started to write these typical 'you-have-to-read-it-again-to-understand' lyrics which for e.g. an English Language teacher is a wonderful piece of text to analyse. And for Beatles fans.

I would say it is about someone who is trying to tell someone something ( [img]graemlins/thinker.gif[/img] ) but each time something comes in between. Not the right time or place, but something is bothering and in the end it's just 'oh well' . Lack of communication, indeed.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:59 PM   #67
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Thanks for a beautiful song FPSHOT. I love the lyrics and I agree with him - I do prefer the re-written version. I think it gets the point across better. Such a young man and such profound words.
old_moon_shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 04:10 PM   #68
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

One of the most honest songs of all time. It can apply to anyone, and on top of that, it's got a nice vocal.
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:39 PM   #69
Whistlerca
Nowhere Man

FPSHOT: Thats a good thread, I like that song alot. Being a John Lennon fan, I placed George right along side him, in fact, all four on the same level. Its a shame and I know George felt sorry he couldn't make up after Johns death. Musicians just get so big headed (egos) they forget the closeness and friendship that got them here in the first place, that goes double for Paul.
"I want to tell you" is the place he felt in "beatles" Thanks again good thread.
Whistlerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:53 PM   #70
darkhorse
Sun King

Strangely enough, what I like the most of this song (and I'm going to commit something of a sin in here), is not the excellent lyrics, the great melodic line, or the perfect double-tracked vocals, which we found in almost every song that George recorded for The Beatles. It's actually what Paul does to the song... his high harmonies are brilliant, as is his bass guitar performance, and, most important of all, adding that weird piano notes in order to contribute more "confusion" to a song where the mind is actually "confusing things"... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It has it all... George wrote an excellent song and with the help of Paul and the others turned it into a legendary record, and one of the best songs in the best album of all time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:32 PM   #71
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By darkhorse:
I'm going to commit something of a sin in here....actually what Paul does to the song...
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I don't hate Paul. He just has some personality flaws like the rest of us. At times he was a real bonus in the Beatles. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Some of George's other Beatle songs he did well on too. Something and Taxman I see cited a lot.
Trust darkhorse to see something a bit 'different'.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:59 PM   #72
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By darkhorse:
It has it all... George wrote an excellent song and with the help of Paul and the others turned it into a legendary record, and one of the best songs in the best album of all time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Fair enough, yes Paul's contribution here is not that bad [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] and before us George fans feel a little sad, George made so many songs what they became, with his amendments, musical and vocal contribution and even with helping in part of the lyrics.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:22 PM   #73
FPSHOT
Sun King

Now when we are in the Beatles period, we might as well continue with one from there and the first one which comes to mind is

If I Needed Someone

the 'Byrds song' as we may call it here today. Influenced by the sound of the 12 string guitar of Roger McGuinn (ever mentioned as a possible Wilbury) it is a song which has its amazing strength in some parts of it

- I think even still in the year 2003, it is so much underestimated what the power of the three voice harmony singing from George, John and Paul has been to many Beatles songs and also in this one, it is so clear, so good, so well performed, so much harmony

- the guitar parts which were actually quite new to the Beatles discography, the 12 string based guitar picking sound

- again George's words, yes my friends here it goes again, but just read them, again he does it, he puts in a statement (If I needed someone, you are the 1 I am thinking of - so no doubt, just the one) but then becomes the 1966 'oh well' George like in the last Two Days song, where he adds like 'but' -&gt; ' maybe ' you will get a call from me. It may very well be that he just does not call. So much George, like 'then I'll take care of it myself' or find something else.

Right, that's it from my side, lyrics time;

If I needed someone to love
You're the one that I'd be thinking of
If I needed someone

If I had some more time to spend
Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone

Had you come some other day then
It might not have been like this
But you see now I'm too much in love

Carve your number on my wall and
Maybe you will get a call from me
If I needed someone

Aah, aah, aah, aah

If I had some more time to spend
Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone

Had you come some other day then
It might not have been like this
But you see now I'm too much in love

Carve your number on my wall and
Maybe you will get a call from me
If I needed someone

Aah, aah

Instruments & additional info.:

Harrison: double tracked vocal, lead guitar
Lennon: harmony vocal, rhythm guitar
McCartney: harmony vocal, bass
Starr: drums, tambourine
George Martin: harmonium

Rec.: 16th/18th October 1965
Rel. UK: 3rd December 1965 (LP Rubber Soul)
Rel. US: 20th June 1966 (LP 'Yesterday' ... and Today)
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:14 PM   #74
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I like it, but not John and Paul's harmonies during it. Fiddle with the balance and listen to them and it's obvious they didn't care. Otherwise, it's good.
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 07:52 PM   #75
old_moon_shining
Taxman

I love this song so much and in my cynical moments quote lines from it. (I know I'm cynical 'cause FPSHOT told me I was. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] *)
Anyway all dues to FPSHOT who sums this song up very accurately in my opinion. Cannot improve on what he said at all. In fact I think George was revealing something very much of himself here. If he hadn't been a Beatle, but an electrician that did pub gigs on Saturday nights, would he have still been like this? Yes, I think so.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:06 PM   #76
bobdude
Dr. Robert

Great studio recording of this tune. However when this song was played live, particularly at the Budokan in 1966 this song was absolutlely horrible. Not to detract from the song itself because it is a good one, but with out of tune guitars and out of key singing this one is a bit difficult to listen to. The Hollies did a version of this song that George didn't care for too much.
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:11 AM   #77
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Great song one of my favorites. Or is it? As soon as I typed that I thought no it would probably be low on the list. I thouroughly enjoy listening to it, beautiful voices, love the lyrics. I guess all of George's songs are my favorites.

btw, anyone know how many numbers were carved on his wall?
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 05:53 AM   #78
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Not one of my favourite of George's Beatles songs, but a great song nonetheless. Another example of George's unconventional love songs.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 04:35 PM   #79
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By sourmilkpinky:
btw, anyone know how many numbers were carved on his wall?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] make a guess
Old Aug 30, 2003, 08:01 PM   #80
darkhorse
Sun King

Great great song. If it wasn't for "In My Life" it would be the best song on Rubber Soul. Sort of. I love the harmonies and the fact that it is a love song, but it is also not. An interesting development, and great use of the guitars. Moving. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]