BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old May 23, 2003, 08:21 AM   #1
tangerine
Little Child

Default Did Paul and John ever get physical?

I mean, when they were at each-others throats, did they ever get violent or something? Someone told me that John once came into Pauls house and started breaking things, which I found very hard to believe....

So, can anyone enlighten me on their conflict?
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 08:31 AM   #2
Legs
Sun King

Default Re: Did Paul and John ever get physical?

I think the conflict is blown up, don't know where you heard this, but after the break up, the early 70's they were all bitter and especially John had a sharp tongue, and spoke out against the Beatles and Paul. But they never got physical. Later they seems to get along better, Paul would come to John's house, or they just called, talking about the kids and as long as they didn't talk about buisniss (Apple/ Beatles) everything was fine.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 09:40 AM   #3
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

John was alleged to have thrown a brick through Paul's window when a reciever was appointed to manage the Beatles business interests. In fact I believe a photo exists of John scaling Paul's wall in order to throw the brick. Aside from that I don't know of any occassions when things got physical between the two, but it is possible. They were as close as brothers when the Beatles were together, and people that close often lash out at each other when they are hurt or angry, but I doubt anything serious ever happended.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4

I think you're talking about the time when they were recording Abbey Road and John, George and Ringo showed up to record but Paul had stayed home for some anniversary and John climbed Paul's wall, bust into the house, cussed him, and then put his foot through a painting that John had given him. He then walked out the door to where the other Beatles were and they drove off.

That's the story, anyway- not sure if it is true. I, for one, think the Beatles might have come to blows. If you remember the audio in Anthology, John is heard saying they had done everything and been through it all and he included 'come to blows' in it. But I think fights, if they happened, happened in Hamburg or in the early days. They were 'teddy boys," and teddy boys fistfight. I think I have read where someone said that John and George once came to blows in Hamburg, there's a been a rumor floating around the "Let it Be' sessions that John and George came to blows during it, but I don't think that is true. I don't think Paul and John ever came to blows, though.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:42 PM   #5
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

as much as i know john could be sharp with his mouth but never did i ever of them hitting or hurting each other like many relationships they hit bad patches sometimes.it is good to know that john let paul know he loved him yoko let paul know that. and i think deep down he always did.
mccartneymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 07:34 PM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By walrusegg:
I think you're talking about the time when they were recording Abbey Road and John, George and Ringo showed up to record but Paul had stayed home for some anniversary and John climbed Paul's wall, bust into the house, cussed him, and then put his foot through a painting that John had given him. He then walked out the door to where the other Beatles were and they drove off.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Geez...John had a temper on him.

Actually, I'm sure they got into little fights here and there...but that kind of stuff- if it was physical- is kind of common with people so close. And you hardly remember the violent stuff as much as the words. Oh, the words can sting. In the end, I think the Beatles were just sort of worn out and any kind of personality clashes were bound to happen.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 09:21 PM   #7
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

What a relief - from the subject line, I thought you were asking an entirely different question. (Not that there's anything wrong with it!) [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]

Quote:
But I think fights, if they happened, happened in Hamburg or in the early days. They were 'teddy boys," and teddy boys fistfight. I think I have read where someone said that John and George once came to blows in Hamburg, there's a been a rumor floating around the "Let it Be' sessions that John and George came to blows during it, but I don't think that is true. I don't think Paul and John ever came to blows, though.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">There's a bootleg from the "Let It Be" sessions (I think it may be in the film, too) that sheds some light on this. After George temporarily quit the group and came back, he and John are talking to someone else in the studio. John mentions that a story came out that said John & George had come to blows and that's why George left. Both John & George deny that, and John says he never came to blows with George "except in Hamburg, over a plate of dinner." [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] John even contemplates suing the newspaper.

I've never heard anything about John & Paul having a physical fight. I agree with walrusegg that it's very possible it may have happened back in Hamburg, but I doubt it would have happened later on in their careers.
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 09:21 PM   #8
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

D'oh! Double post. [img]graemlins/angry9.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 23, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message Edited By: EasternBird ][/size]
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 11:26 PM   #9
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:

That's the story, anyway- not sure if it is true. I, for one, think the Beatles might have come to blows. If you remember the audio in Anthology, John is heard saying they had done everything and been through it all and he included 'come to blows' in it. But I think fights, if they happened, happened in Hamburg or in the early days. They were 'teddy boys," and teddy boys fistfight. I think I have read where someone said that John and George once came to blows in Hamburg, there's a been a rumor floating around the "Let it Be' sessions that John and George came to blows during it, but I don't think that is true. I don't think Paul and John ever came to blows, though.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">i agree with you walrusegg and was going to bring up that exact quote. however, john is not the most trustworthy person.

still, i think it'd be unnatural for them not to fistfight at least once, learn from it, and never do it again. or not necessarily fistfight, but throw stuff, you know. but i highly doubt it was a regular thing.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 11:35 PM   #10
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

...welcome Tangerine !
chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:13 AM   #11
lilsamharrison
Mr. Moonlight

*evil giggle* O I sry, I thought this post would be about...ermm...soemthing else *winks* wrong Physical, sorry luvs.
lilsamharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2003, 10:26 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted By lilsamharrison:
*evil giggle* O I sry, I thought this post would be about...ermm...soemthing else *winks* wrong Physical, sorry luvs.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Me, too!!! [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote