BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:01 PM   #1
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Default Would George have had problems with Patti’s autobiography being published?

If he had lived, do you think he would have given his OK with her revealing all the sordid details regarding his infidelities and other matters? She didn’t trash him , but was honest. Or do you think he would have been angry with her causing a rift in their friendship?

I read the late country crooner Johnny Cash OKed his deceased first wife Vivian’s tell all autobiography, although she aired some of his “dirty laundry” regarding his drug use and cheating. I recently viewed Walk The Line, and was impressed with Joaquin and Reese’s singing. I never knew much about JC, although my late mom stated I liked his music as a tot. Getting back to the subject, since a lot of the fans are tired of the “wash, rinse,and repeat” Beatle films aired over the years, I think Patti’s book would make a cool movie. It would be something different. Have either of the surviving Beatles, Cynthia, Yoko, or any of George’s family ever commented on the book? BTW, did Johnny ever cover any Beatles tunes?
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2
hibgal
Sun King

I think he'd been okay with it. He himself spoke about their breakup in interviews and he did say he took most of the blame for the split. That he neglected her and was unfaithful. It's not like he made it a big secret then so can't see why it would be different now.

Besides, from what we've seen of him, George was honest to the point of rudeness. Which makes me wonder what he'd make of Olivia's whitewashing of his memory. Would guess he'd have more to say about that than Patty's warts and all book!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
I think he'd been okay with it. He himself spoke about their breakup in interviews and he did say he took most of the blame for the split. That he neglected her and was unfaithful. It's not like he made it a big secret then so can't see why it would be different now.

Besides, from what we've seen of him, George was honest to the point of rudeness. Which makes me wonder what he'd make of Olivia's whitewashing of his memory. Would guess he'd have more to say about that than Patty's warts and all book!
I have not been keeping up with the news regarding his widow, how is Olivia whitewashing her late hubby's memory? I can imagine she would not want her future grandkids hearing bad stuff about their famous grandpa.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:58 AM   #4
hibgal
Sun King

Well, take the latest George documentary that she was involved with. Not a word that wasn't to praise George. For instance, nothing about the struggles he had with his music career, his vocal troubles in '74 and the chart failures of his records, particularly Gone Troppo. All she wants people to remember is his hits; forgot how many times All Things Must Pass has been rereleased, while the rest of his musical legacy is moldering in the vaults. That's just a few things and none of it would REALLY reflect on George in a bad way. As well, the way she talks about him in interviews, you'd think he was this sickly sugar sweet guy and although he certainly could be nice that's not ALL there was to George and I think she's doing his memory a disservice when she pretends it was.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Nobody hates you when you're 6 feet in the ground!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Doesn't the LITMW documentary imply (if not outright state) that George wasn't faithful to Olivia, particularly around the time of the Japan tour?

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Yes.

Also, George's fan club president Pat Kinzer Mancuso describes and airs a side of George that is seldom seen. In her book Do You Want to Know a Secret: The True Story of the George Harrison Fan Club, she talks at length about how she met the senior Harrisons; George's siblings and siblings in law as well as his nieces and nephews and maternal cousins.

Her book includes several never previously published pictures of Harold, his lovely wife Louise, George and Peter's son Ian Harrison. Her experienced start off positive but sadly take a nosedive when she sent a fan club newsletter to George in 1971 which resulted in a falling out with George. Pat Mancuso described Louise as the glue that held the Harrison and French families together. Sadly, the Pat Mancuso - George Harrison rift never healed. George felt the newsletter had become a gossip sheet and that his privacy was being compromised. Pat Mancuso was permanently hurt by George cutting her out of his life. In 1974 she saw George perform and at show's end, saw George and Harold Sr. talking on stage. She acted a fool and cursed George out which resulted in her friends dragging her out of the concert venue. Yes, her accounts paint a very different picture of George.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 24, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:11 AM   #8
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Yes.

Also, George's fan club president Pat Kinzer Mancuso describes and airs a side of George that is seldom seen. In her book Do You Want to Know a Secret: The True Story of the George Harrison Fan Club, she talks at length about how she met the senior Harrisons; George's siblings and siblings in law as well as his nieces and nephews and maternal cousins.

Her book includes several never previously published pictures of Harold, his lovely wife Louise, George and Peter's son Ian Harrison. Her experienced start off positive but sadly take a nosedive when she sent a fan club newsletter to George in 1971 which resulted in a falling out with George. Pat Mancuso described Louise as the glue that held the Harrison and French families together. Sadly, the Pat Mancuso - George Harrison rift never healed. George felt the newsletter had become a gossip sheet and that his privacy was being compromised. Pat Mancuso was permanently hurt by George cutting her out of his life. In 1974 she saw George perform and at show's end, saw George and Harold Sr. talking on stage. She acted a fool and cursed George out which resulted in her friends dragging her out of the concert venue. Yes, her accounts paint a very different picture of George.
Interesting, I will have to read that book sometime. I hope my library has it. That is sad about Pat and George's damaged friendship. But I agree, cussing at a former friend in not the right way to mend relationships. Personally I would have kept my distance. That is cool she got to meet his family.

Last edited by peanut333 : Aug 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:03 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

It is a very interesting book and you will undoubtedly enjoy it. Pat Mancuso started as a "pen pal" to Louise Harrison in late 1964. Mail was then a step above Pony Express (no FedEx, no email) so if you wrote people living in other countries, you more often than not included an International Return Coupon (IRC) so the recipient's postage was paid when they wrote back. I didn't even know what an IRC was until I read the book. Pat Mancuso received holiday cards and letters from the senior Harrisons (Harold addressed the envelopes and Louise wrote the letters/cards).

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10
beatlebangs1964

I don't think George would have liked the idea of his lovely sister penning her memoirs. Even so, Lou is fiercely protective of her talented brother. I can't wait to read her book!

Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:31 AM   #11
hibgal
Sun King

Well, that's the dilemma, isn't it? You can't be both famous and anonymous at the same time! There ain't no such animal. Once you're famous, as long as you play the game, you're stuck with it. And if you're famous then people will say and write all sorts of crap about you. Naturally your nearest and dearest want to set the record straight. To do it they have to talk too. And round we go.

In a way the same applies to Louise as to Patti. George's life is their lives too. Their connection to a famous person gets their autobiographies published, is all.

Besides, hand on heart, would George really have preferred the life he'd lead if The Beatles hadn't been a success? In later years he may have said that he wished he'd taken another road through life but that's just talk. It's easy to wish for what you don't have and disregard what you have, once you have it. Would he really have preferred a semi-detached villa in Liverpool to Friar Park? Would he really have been able to hack 9-5 drudgery as an electrician with a bit of music relief in the weekend with his pals to the freedom of doing pretty much as he pleased? For that matter, would anyone without the ambition to make it big in the music biz, have struggled through all those grueling months in Germany, all those endless years on the road before fame jumped up and bit them? The Beatles wasn't an overnight success, you know?

And why would he have stayed in the band if it was so awful? (That goes for all of them btw, not just George.) Others that have truly felt the fame isn't worth the misery, quit and went on living fairly obscure and normal lives. If you REALLY don't want it, it is possible to get out of it. In fact, the world is full of people that once were famous and now, much to their regret, isn't. People that would kill for one more news article (except the obituary) written about them. So don't give me any 'poor George trapped by his fame' stuff because I won't believe it!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:03 PM   #12
jonesingjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Besides, hand on heart, would George really have preferred the life he'd lead if The Beatles hadn't been a success?
Probably not.
jonesingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:25 PM   #13
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Pattie was allowed to read a few excerpts from the book in Living in the Material World.

I think the fact that George's family allowed that to happen shows how they feel about her book
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:27 PM   #14
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
I have not been keeping up with the news regarding his widow, how is Olivia whitewashing her late hubby's memory? I can imagine she would not want her future grandkids hearing bad stuff about their famous grandpa.
In the movie, she was very honest about the rumors of George's affairs and is the 2nd woman I know who talks about the benefits of the aftermath. (the first being my boyfriend's wife who watched the movie with me and screamed "right on" at those scenes)
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:38 PM   #15
beatlebangs1964

I think Hib nailed it in her post above. George would most likely have been miserable as an electrician. He even admitted that he was not cut out for that line of work.

I think George wanted a lifestyle that allowed him to live in comfort; have people appreciate him without compromising his privacy and bask in his fans' love and admiration. Harold even told George's fan club president Pat Mancuso that "fans were indeed very important to George" and for her to suggest otherwise was untrue. I think George wanted the music and lifestyle of his choice without fans stalking him and screaming. I think George just wanted to walk out publicly without being mobbed.

Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:58 AM   #16
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I think that applies to any celebrity. To be a prisoner of your fame must be a horrible thing.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:06 PM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
I think that applies to any celebrity. To be a prisoner of your fame must be a horrible thing.
For myself I save my pity for the children of famous people. After all, they didn't ask for it.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:57 AM   #18
beatlebangs1964

You're right. The children of famous people suffer the fallout of fame gone awry and reap the benefits of fame when it brings positives.

Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:17 AM   #19
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I recall seeing a YT video of MJ being hounded by the press and fans while shopping with Paris as a little girl at a mall in LA I believe. I think she was still wearing those masks. He wanted to buy her a watch but left the shop in frustration. I felt bad for both parties.

Last edited by peanut333 : Sep 04, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:24 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

I also felt bad for the kids in those damn masks.