BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jun 18, 2003, 03:08 PM   #1
abbeysoul9
Nowhere Man

Default Re: Four murderous teens inspired by Beatles before crime

What an absolutely outrageous accusation!! [img]graemlins/scream2.gif[/img]
abbeysoul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:07 PM   #2
SF4-EVER

It's appalling that they try to link the Beatles' music to such a horrible crime.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:22 PM   #3
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

That's so sick. How could someone just kill another person for a small amount of cash when it all comes down to it? And so brutally at that?

I don't even know why they brought up the Beatles thing if anything they were inspired by Manson and wanted to mimic him not by "Helter Skelter".
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:04 PM   #4
Kasey1964
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted By paul:coolerthanyou:
[img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] *I can't believe that these vicious animals are even trying that stupid old defense "(insert band/video game/movie/book/tv show here) made me do it!"
This is an awful story. What is the world coming to? [img]graemlins/cry5.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That horrible crime happened nearby. How dare they blame a Beatles song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope that the justice system can see through that pathetic smoke screen and condemn them for the maggott eating reprobates that they are. I am also sickened that the "girl" won't get the death penalty. She is just as if not more responsible for that poor kid's death. It's not fair that there is an age limit to the death penalty. If you are old enough to kill than you are old enough to pay for it. I am so sickened by this case and the attempt to drag the Beatles down with them. Sorry my language is rough, but that's how I feel. [img]graemlins/angry6.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/barf5.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jun 18, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message Edited By: Kasey1964 ][/size]
Kasey1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:27 PM   #5
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Okay, this kind of s*** makes me very angry! I can't believe those f****** teens would even think of bringing a Beatles song into this, when in fact they were going by what that nutcase Manson said about 'Helter Skelter.' All of them, including that 15 year-old girl should've been tried as an adult and gotten life in prison. The death penatly is taking the "easy way out." History of depression, my ass, that stupid girl and those boys should be hit in the head once with a hachet, they still won't know what it felt for the boy that they killed. Of course, one hit in the head in the right spot can kill, so maybe not. That would be taking the easy way out too. Nevermind, but this stuff makes me so mad! I'll calm down now...
-Kristi
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:33 PM   #6
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

What gets me the most is not the Beatle's reference. It's the completely unremorseful and celebratory attitude of those killers. It's sickening.

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:32 PM   #7
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

What they did was absolutely disgusting. I really hope they get some help. Some poor kid lost his life and future because of, what? A bunch of sickening, murderous teenagers. I feel so bad for the family and friends of both the kid murdered and those who committed the crime. It's even worse that they try to put the blame on the Beatle song!!
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:55 PM   #8
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

I may be jumping to conclusions here and making assumptions based on very little as far as information but I wouldn't be surpised these kids are the sort of Charles-Manson-is-our-hero type. There are a lot of nut cases out there who still actually "follow" the guy even though he's in prison. their celebritory attitude after killing the poor kid made me think of the "family" in a way.
If they're not at least inspired by Chuck Manson then they are at least of the same ilk. IMO.
and Helter Skelter is not the only common factor here- not to sound like a parent but it sounds like Drugs was also a factor in both cases.

These kids shoulda listened to All You Need Is Love instead, eh?

Slightly off topic: my father (a casual fan at best) absolutely refuses to listen to helter skelter because to this day the Manson connections still freak him out. As for me- its still one of my favorites! infamous connections and all.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:45 AM   #9
The Myth
Nowhere Man

Default Four murderous teens inspired by Beatles before crime

A few weeks ago a teenager was killed in a forested area here in Philadelphia by four other teens, all of which were supposedly friends of his. He was going out with the girl in the group. She lured him into the woods, telling him that she'd perform sexual acts to him, before the three boys came from around and beat him to death. Every bone in his face with the exception of one was broken. The teens killed him for $500.00.

Well yesterday there was a preliminary hearing, and something odd and familiar was said:
Philadelphia Inquirer story of hearing

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Four teenagers planned the killing for weeks, listened repeatedly on the day to the song linked to mass murderer Charles Manson, and then came together for a "group hug" after they beat 16-year-old Jason Sweeney to death in a vacant Fishtown lot, according to alleged confessions from two of them.

Yesterday, all four were ordered to stand trial for the killing that the judge described as "something out of the Dark Ages."

Fifteen-year-old Justina Morley lured Sweeney to his death with the promise of sex, while the three boys donned latex gloves and lay in wait, according to the confessions.

"We just kept hitting and hitting him," 18-year-old Dominic Coia told detectives. "We took Sweeney's wallet and split up the money, and we partied beyond redemption."

Coia and 16-year-old Edward Batzig Jr. told investigators that Sweeney was beaten with a hammer, a hatchet and a rock. The four then divided the $500 take among them - $125 apiece - and purchased marijuana, heroin and the depressant Xanax.

Both confessions were videotaped, detectives testified yesterday. However, those tapes were not played in court.

Sweeney suffered multiple, powerful blows to the skull, testified Philadelphia Deputy Medical Examiner Ian Hood.

"The head was literally crushed. The only bone intact in his face was the left cheekbone," Hood testified as Sweeney's mother wept openly.

Municipal Court Judge Seamus P. McCaffery, who viewed eight graphic photographs of Sweeney's injuries, called the violence barbaric.

"This is something out of the Dark Ages... I'm not so sure we can call ourselves a civilized society when stuff like this happens," McCaffery said before ordering the four teenagers to stand trial for murder, conspiracy and related charges in the May 30 slaying.

Morley, Batzig, Dominic Coia and his 16-year-old brother Nicholas are to be arraigned July 9.

Assistant District Attorney Jude Conroy said District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham had not yet decided whether the Coias and Batzig would face death-penalty trials. Because she is under 16 years of age, Morley is not eligible for the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

Detectives testified that Dominic Coia told investigators that in the hours before the slaying, the four teens "must have listened to 'Helter Skelter' about 42 times" - referring to the Beatles song that Manson said inspired him during his followers' 1969 California killing spree.

Morley was "the bait to get Sweeney there," Dominic Coia told investigators.

Eighteen-year-old friend Joshua Staab - who testified that he listened to much of their planning and later washed the boys' bloody clothes - said Morley was to seduce Sweeney and lead him to the vacant lot where the others attacked him.

"They were going to take him up there and kill him," Staab testified.

At first, the Coias and Batzig were not able to find Morley and returned to Staab's house to call her cellular phone. Then, the three left a second time.

When the four returned, the boys had bloody clothing.

"They're all shaking. They said they did it and they couldn't believe that they killed him," Staab testified.

"She [Morley] said she was happy she had a lot of money... she said it was a rush," Staab testified.

Batzig - once Sweeney's best friend - told investigators: "We just walked up and started hitting him... . Soon after that, Jason started begging for his life."

Batzig told detectives he struck the first blow, and hit Sweeney with a hatchet "four or five times... as hard as I could."

After Sweeney stopped breathing, Dominic Coia told detectives, the four teens engaged in "a group hug. It was like we were all happy with what we did."

Was he high at the time?, detectives asked Dominic Coia.

"No. I was as sober as I am now. It is sick, isn't it?" he responded.

But defense attorneys for the four teens attacked Staab's testimony and argued that he should face criminal charges as well.

Morley's attorney, William Brennan, called Staab a "lying junkie" who was in on the planning stages, destroyed evidence when he washed the bloody clothes, and then used drugs purchased with Sweeney's money.

Although all four teens are charged as adults, Brennan has said he wanted Morley to be tried as a juvenile. He said yesterday that the girl remained jailed under a suicide watch and has a history of depression.

Nicholas Coia's court-appointed attorney, Charles P. Mirarchi 3d, said after yesterday's hearing that he would like to resolve the case against his client without going to trial - cutting a deal that might include testifying against his older brother.

"I concede that he was there, and he in fact threw the rock," Mirarchi said. But his client did not wield the hammer or hatchet like the other two allegedly did, Mirarchi said.

Prosecutor Conroy said it was premature to discuss plea deals.

"This was a team effort and we intend to proceed that way. All are as culpable as the others," Conroy said.

Conroy said the brutality of the crime and the youth of the defendants was shocking.

"Even the most experienced of homicide investigators are completely speechless after reviewing the facts of this case," Conroy said. "I guess what astonished me is their will - their persistence - to kill him."

The Sweeney family and their supporters wore large buttons with Jason Sweeney's photograph in the courtroom, but they did not speak to reporters.

Dawn Sweeney, 38, seemed nearly overcome with emotion when the three teens accused of killing her son were led into the courtroom under close guard.

After the hearing, Conroy called the slaying a "horrible, brutal, up-close and personal murder," made even more stunning by the close friendship Sweeney and Batzig once shared.

"Shocking beyond words," said the veteran homicide prosecutor.

Hours after the hearing ended, Dawn Sweeney sat on the front steps of her home in Fishtown and talked about her son. Jason was a good son and individual who did not hang out with a bad crowd, she said.

"He didn't hang on corners. He had a life. He had dreams. He had hopes. He wanted to be a Navy Seal," she said. "He was a good boy. He was always a good boy. Always. From the time he was a baby... .

"He was growing up to be a beautiful man and this is the kind of person they stole from the world."

Sweeney said she felt the killing was about thrills, rather than money.

"They didn't have to kill him and they knew that," she said. "He would have given them the money."

---------------------------

For those of you who haven't heard of this crime, it's a sick injustice. The fact that the Beatles popped into this is even more wrong. What a shame.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:53 AM   #10
paul:coolerthanyou
Little Child

[img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] *I can't believe that these vicious animals are even trying that stupid old defense "(insert band/video game/movie/book/tv show here) made me do it!"
This is an awful story. What is the world coming to? [img]graemlins/cry5.gif[/img]
paul:coolerthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 03:28 AM   #11
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

I'm deeply sure that a song or a movie or a book or whatever, NEVER could make you became a killer.

Only sick (or doped) minds can be influenced by these stuffs.
chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:09 AM   #12
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

This is just sick, sickening, depraved and disgusting.

I agree that the lack of remorse and the calculated murder of an innocent kid is truly disturbing. Using a Beatle song as an excuse is just a pathetic smoke screen as Kasey pointed out and it just doesn't add up. The Beatles had absolutely nothing to do with the desire to kill that boy and it sounded like the pack was using them as an excuse. There was just no need and absolutely no reason to kill Sweeney. No reason at all.

Somebody made a good point about it being possible these young reprobates were in awe of Manson. It sounds like that might have been a factor, but I don't know this for sure. Even so, it is a mystery to me as to how anybody could find anything even remotely admirable about Manson. I find Manson about as revolting as one can possibly get.

I hope Morley serves an adult sentence. I think it would serve her right. Like a siren, she lured Sweeney out there with a "tempting" offer, so I feel she is just as guilty. She knew those other boys were going to kill him. What they did to Sweeney was savage, brutal and ferocious. I hope they all serve adult sentences.

My heart goes out to Sweeney, his immediate family and everybody who knew and cared about him and not the people who engineered his death.

This kind of thing makes me [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/barf4.gif[/img] !

[size="1"][ Jun 22, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message Edited By: beatlebangs1964 ][/size]
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:18 AM   #13
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted By chaitanya:
I'm deeply sure that a song or a movie or a book or whatever, NEVER could make you became a killer.

Only sick (or doped) minds can be influenced by these stuffs.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You summed it up best.

Instead of the death penalty, how about this: have those young killers including that sick girl who lured him to his death serve life sentences? How about having pictures of Sweeney after his atrocious murder adorning their jail cells and have them watch footage of their trials regarding the murder. That way they'd never get a break from remembering and thinking about the HELL they put Sweeney and his family through.

Dominic Coia said they "partied beyond redemption." Their savage murder of Sweeney sounds like redemption was not a priority for them. Coia's statement is a very revealing one indeed in light of the sheer savagery of the murder.

This is truly frightening indeed.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 07:43 AM   #14
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

I've always believed that the word "inspired" should refer to positive situations and we all know that the Beatles were and are an extremely postive force and have truely inspired many people. It saddens me that a newspaper would refer to the Beatles as being inspirational in the context of this horrific crime. What a terrible to have happened, I could not even make it through the entire article...what is the world coming to???
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:45 PM   #15
Kasey1964
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
This is just sick, sickening, depraved and disgusting.

I agree that the lack of remorse and the calculated murder of an innocent kid is truly disturbing. Using a Beatle song as an excuse is just a pathetic smoke screen as Kasey pointed out and it just doesn't add up. The Beatles had absolutely nothing to do with the desire to kill that boy and it 1sounded like the pack was using them as an excuse. There was just no need and absolutely no reason to kill Sweeney. No reason at all.

Somebody made a good point about it being possible these young reprobates were in awe of Manson. It sounds like that might have been a factor, but I don't know this for sure. Even so, it is a mystery to me as to how anybody could find anything even remotely admirable about Manson. I find Manson about as revolting as one can possibly get.

I hope Morley serves an adult sentence. I think it would serve her right. Like a siren, she lured Sweeney out there with a "tempting" offer, so I feel she is just as guilty. She knew those other boys were going to kill him. What they did to Sweeney was savage, brutal and ferocious. I hope they all serve adult sentences.

My heart goes out to Sweeney, his immediate family and everybody who knew and cared about him and not the people who engineered his death.

This kind of thing makes me [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/barf4.gif[/img] !
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Maybe we should use another Manson favorite song against them.

Piggies:
In their lives there's something lacking
What they need is a damn good whacking

I know that wouuld make us just like them, but I would love to see the smirks torn from their ugly faces. Sorry about the hate but it just makes me so [img]graemlins/angry6.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/barf2.gif[/img]
Kasey1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:49 AM   #16
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

sad to say all too often people refuse to take responsibility for the actions they take.they blame a song, a movie etc. a song doesn't make you do something. a person opts for the action. it is called free will.
mccartneymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 01:06 PM   #17
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

Send a message via Skype™ to misslennon_909

The article said they listened to Helter Skelter more than 42 times. Why would you listen to any song 42 times?? That's a little hint that those teens were just a little off their rockers--It's not Paul's fault or the Beatles' fault. How ridiculous to even suggest it.
misslennon_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 02:51 PM   #18
PauLuver69
Nowhere Man

I've probably listened to Helter Skelter about a million times and it has never made me want to go out and kill someone! That is a lame excuse for killing your friend..."I heard hidden messages in Helter Skelter, the Beatles made me do it"...bullsh*t! What the hell is wrong with those kids? Its totally revolting that they did such a thing to thier "friend". This just makes me sick.
PauLuver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:26 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Well said, Miss.

Nothing those young reprobates DID made any kind of sense and had they not been listening to the Beatles, they would have had something else to tax their murderous hatred on. It sounded to me as if those malcontents wanted something to justify their atrocious hatred and converting those feelings into an actual performance ending in murder.

This is just too upsetting.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:15 AM   #20
kc
Mr. Moonlight

Similar to what PaulLuver69 said, I'm sure I've heard "Helter Skelter" well more than 42 times, having been a Beatles fan for two decades, and it has never made me want to kill someone...or even think about it. Their excuse simply doesn't wash.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote