BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Hari's Chick

Smile Recipes!

I remember way back when we used to have one thread for veggie and one for non-veggie... but maybe we should combine both? Us veggies can substitute out accordingly and that with various veggie products (some of my best recipes are ones my Mom used to make with meat but I adapted!). If this is offensive though to any vegans or veggies, I appologize and a second thread is also welcome, too!

Okay kids, share your recipes! Ready, set, go!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

My first one is meat based, sorry You can substitute the lamb with veggie mince though.

Moroccan Lamb Courgettes (Zucinni)

50g bulger wheat
454g lamb mince
4 large courgettes (zuccini)
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1tsp cumin
1tsp or a small bunch of coriander
small bunch of flat leaf parsley
small bunch of fresh mint
1 tbsl olive oil
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatos
1tsp sugar

Put bulger wheat in a bowl and pour over 200ml boiling water, stand for 15 mins and strain through sieve.

Cut courgettes in half length ways, scoop out a channel with a teaspoon and discard flesh.

Put the lamb in a bowl and add half the onion and garlic, half the cumin, coriander, mint and parsley and add bulger wheat, season and mix.

Preheat the oven to 190c/gas mark 5 and divide mixture into the courgette halves, arrange in oven proof dish.

Heat the oil and fry the remaining onion until its soft, add the rest of the cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatos, sugar, parsley and mint and season to taste. Pour over the courgettes and cook for 50 minutes.

Last edited by Sally : Nov 15, 2005 at 09:07 AM.
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Asha
Sun King

Thanks for starting this, HC!

I was thinking the same thing. We can put both veggie & non-veggie on here. Being a vegetarian, I'll admit that sometimes it's fun to take a recipe & adapt it, too! So I welcome any recipes!

I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have any recipes with me. But I promise when I get back from my little travels I'll add to this thread!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I think one recipe thread is fine. Frankly, if vegetarians think just READING a meat recipe is offensive, then I think there are bigger issues than just their vegetarianism afoot, but I do cook vegie recipes a lot.

Anyway, I will, however, start with the curried lentils recipe, which is vegetarian:

2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder (you can up it to 1 1/2 tsp if you like, more will make it too overpowering.)
few drops of tobasco (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 cups water

Heat the butter and the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the salt and the curry powder and toast for a minute, then add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add the rinsed lentils and 2 cups water. Add a few drops of tobasco if you want to raise the heat level. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed and the lentils are tender. You may have to add more water if it dries out too quickly.

Serve over brown or white rice. This dish is excellent the next day as a leftover too, and reheats easily in the microwave!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Nov 15, 2005 at 11:26 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Jeanne's Pear and Gorgonzola Salad (courtesy of my mother-in-law!)

2-4 medium pears, any type
1 large or 2 small beets (or one small can of sliced beets)
1-2 large heads red or green leaf lettuce (or equivalent amount of mesclun greens)
crumbled blue or gorgonzola cheese
chopped pecans
raspberry wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil

Buy the pears a couple of days in advance to give them a chance to ripen – they must be juicy and soft.

Roast the beets in the oven by trimming off the greens, scrubbing them, and wrapping them in aluminum foil, baking like a potato until soft. When the beets are done, cool them, then peel and dice. (This will be a messy job, so cover your counters and wear an apron, or everything will go pink!)

Wash the lettuce or greens and dry well. Place in large salad bowl and add the diced beets, the crumbled blue cheese, and the pecans. You can also peel and dice up one of the pears if you wish.

For the dressing:

Peel and dice the remaining pears and put them in a blender or food processor. Puree the pears, then add extra virgin olive oil and some raspberry vinegar, blending to make a dressing. Taste it – the finished dressing should be sweet and slightly tangy.

Don’t dress the salad until just before serving; it will make the greens go limp. Toss well to coat all the greens and distribute the cheese, beets and pecans evenly within the salad.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Nov 15, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:16 AM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Reva’s Famous Stuffed Cabbage (courtesy of my mom!)

2 pounds ground beef or turkey
¾ cup cooked rice
¼ cup grated onion
¼ cup grated carrot
20-24 large green cabbage leaves (the outer leaves work best for this)
½ cup cider vinegar or ¼ teaspoon sour salt
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
16 oz canned tomato sauce (more if you like more sauce)

Mix meat, rice, onion and carrot. With a sharp knife, remove the tough rib from each cabbage leaf, keeping surface of leaf in one piece. Pour boiling water over the cabbage leaves and let them sit until wilted. Drain.

Place a small ball of meat, about the size of a plum, at one side of the cabbage leaf, and roll cabbage tightly around the meat to enclose it completely. Place filled rolls in a heavy Dutch Oven with tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar. (Spray the pan with cooking spray beforehand if desired.) Add water if necessary to prevent sticking. Cover and simmer for one hour. Makes 10-12 servings.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7
HMVNipper
Sun King

Pot Roast A La Reva

Flat Cut Beef Brisket (2-4 pounds, approx.)
4-5 cans of Au Jus gravy (Franco-American or similar – MUST be Au Jus, not plain beef gravy) (depends on how big your brisket is)
3-4 large yellow onions, sliced.
1 cup red wine (optional)

Spray a large Dutch Oven with nonstick spray or coat with a little bit of oil. Heat and place the brisket in the pan, allowing it to sear. Check frequently and turn it, allowing it to sear and brown on all sides. It WILL SHRINK.

Add sliced onions to the pot and lower heat a little, covering the pot. Check it frequently to be sure it doesn’t stick or burn.

Once the meat has seared for a while and is getting brown, take it out of the pan and slice it against the grain into thin slices, returning it to the pot. (Beware, this may be VERY messy as it will probably still be VERY rare inside, so do it on a cutting board and have something to soak up juices beneath it!)

Add 4-5 cans of Au Jus gravy and 1 cup of red wine to the pot. Bring to the boil and then cover the pot and lower the heat to simmer for 1-2 hours. Check frequently, shaking the pot to prevent sticking and checking the tenderness of the meat. (If you stir it, you will break up the meat as it gets tender, so don’t stir it!) It’s done when the meat is extremely tender.

Serve with Kasha Varnishkes and your favorite veggies.

Kasha Varnishkes

Kasha (buckwheat groats) prepared according to package directions. You can sauté some onions and mushrooms with the kasha if you like.
Small bowtie egg noodles (such as Ronzoni) (about half a box)

Prepare Kasha according to package directions and mix with cooked bowtie noodles. Serve with pot roast and gravy.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #8
HMVNipper
Sun King

I just realized, if we're going to have recipes from the US and other countries, we need a conversion table for measurements and temperatures! I was reading Sally's recipe (which sounds AWESOME!) and I need to know US equivalent measures/temps for the numbers she gave.

I found this page where you can plug in the amounts in either metric or non-metric and it will calculate the equivalents:

http://www.fareshare.net/conversions2.html

Also this one which has links to convert to and from metric:

http://allrecipes.com/advice/ref/conv/conversions.asp

Last edited by HMVNipper : Nov 15, 2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
I think one recipe thread is fine. Frankly, if vegetarians think just READING a meat recipe is offensive, then I think there are bigger issues than just their vegetarianism afoot, but I do cook vegie recipes a lot.

Anyway, I will, however, start with the curried lentils recipe, which is vegetarian:
LOL to the first comment! Yes, as in all threads, members can pick what they like & by-pass the rest!

As for the Curried Lentils... Oh THANK YOU! I was hoping you'd share this one! The others sound good, too! I think vegetarians could do the stuffed cabbage with veggie burgers! So thank you!!!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha
I think vegetarians could do the stuffed cabbage with veggie burgers! So thank you!!!
Yeah, or those bags from Morningstar Farms...veggie crumbles? I'm gonna try this stuffed cabbage recipe, too. My (Polish) Grandma made the best stuffed cabbage and I'm always looking for something which will come close! This one sounds wonderful...thanks, Nipper!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 01:07 PM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Hey, you're welcome! You will have to let me know how it comes out with veggie burgers, I think it should be okay. The curried lentils are delicious and so easy -- let me know if you like them, Asha!

BTW, the Kasha Varnishkes recipe that comes after the pot roast? It's vegetarian too, and delicious!

Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:11 PM   #12
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick
Yeah, or those bags from Morningstar Farms...veggie crumbles? I'm gonna try this stuffed cabbage recipe, too. My (Polish) Grandma made the best stuffed cabbage and I'm always looking for something which will come close! This one sounds wonderful...thanks, Nipper!
Oh yes! I forgot Morningstar made the crumbles! Excellent idea!!! If you try this first, let me know how it turns out!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
Hey, you're welcome! You will have to let me know how it comes out with veggie burgers, I think it should be okay. The curried lentils are delicious and so easy -- let me know if you like them, Asha!

BTW, the Kasha Varnishkes recipe that comes after the pot roast? It's vegetarian too, and delicious!
Oh I'll be sure to let you know about the Curried Lentils! I love delicious & easy since I'm usually cooking for one!

Ooo! I missed the Kasha Varnishkes recipe! That sounds good, too!

I feel my recipe box beginning to bulge! I think I need another box!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:23 PM   #14
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

For you John fans out there, here is a traditional English recipe for ( and its not made up) ...........

Johnnys Buns

2lb flour
4oz castor sugar
1 pint milk
1 oz yeast
1 oz of candied orange peel
1 egg
3oz butter

Sift flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt butter in a saucepan and add milk. Dissolve the yeast in the milk. Pour into the centre of the flour, mix well: add the finely cut orange and leave for about 2 hours. Knead into 24 round buns (said the actor to the bishop ). Place on a greased (heehee) baking sheet and let them rise til they are nice big and firm (snigger snigger). Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Brush over with alittle egg and sugar mixed, and "glaze the buns" ( )
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:26 PM   #15
Asha
Sun King

Ok, I'm about to leave to head home, but I'm going to post this one. I'm making it tonight for a potluck we're having at work tomorrow.

I'm sorry I don't have measurements for you, but I've been doing it so long I don't really measure. I make this in various sizes (depending on the crowd) & eyeball how thin or thick I want the layers to be. I'll try to give you measurements based on it being the size of a dinner plate.

7-Layer Mexican Dip

*1 can refried beans
2 Tbs. sour cream
2 Tbs. mayonaise
1/2 taco seasoning packet
1 container guacamole
2/3 cups jack cheese, shredded
2/3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
4 green (spring) onions, chopped
1 small can chopped olives
**corn chips

Make each layer as thick or thin as you like.

First layer - spread refried beans on plate.
Second layer - mix sour cream, mayonaise & taco seasoning together & spread on top of beans.
Third layer - spread guacamole on top of sour cream mixture.
Fourth layer - sprinkle cheeses on top of guac.
Fifth layer - sprinkle tomatoes next.
Sixth layer - sprinkle onions on next.
Seventh layer - sprinkle olives.

Serve with chips!

*Note, I've used fat free as well as vegetarian for this recipe. So feel free to substitute. Also, I don't think it would matter if you used low fat sour cream &/or low fat mayo, too. So play with it!
**Fritos scoops work best, because the dip is so thick, thinner chips tend to break when scooping!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:30 PM   #16
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
For you John fans out there, here is a traditional English recipe for ( and its not made up) ...........

Johnnys Buns
Mercy! I hope we don't go way off topic on this one!

I can say no more!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 05:43 PM   #17
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha
Mercy! I hope we don't go way off topic on this one!

I can say no more!
Who might do THAT? Certainly not ME!

Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:42 PM   #18
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Now, now....

Ok, these two are favorites of mine, very easy to make.

Pesto Pasta
1/4 cup olive oil (extra light tastes best)
1/2 cup pine nuts (chopped walnuts may be substituted)
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (reduced fat is ok)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 tsp. salt
Black pepper
18 oz. dried pasta such as linguine, fettucini, bow-tie, rotini

Cook pasta according to instructions on package (do not overcook it). In a blender, combine oil, nuts, basil, cheese, garlic, and salt. (I usually use a garlic press to mince the garlic before adding it--that way there's no big chunks of it in the mixture). Cover and blend until nearly smooth (you'll probably have to stop every few seconds and scrape the sides of the blender so it all gets mixed). Blend mixture with cooked pasta and black pepper to taste and serve.

Feta-Filled Shells
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup ricotta cheese (low fat/fat free is ok)
8 oz. crumbled feta cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12 jumbo macaroni shells, cooked, drained
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce

Cook shells according to directions on package (do NOT overcook them!! I also usually cook about 18 shells, considering some fall apart and there seems to be a LOT of the spinach mixture left over for just 12 shells). Mix spinach, ricotta cheese, 6 oz of feta cheese and garlic powder in a bowl. Fill the cooked pasta shells with spinach mixture and place in 2-quart baking dish. Pour sauce over shells. Top with remaining 2 oz feta cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes and garnish with fresh herbs.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 07:52 PM   #19
Lynner

And now one for the meat lovers!

bacon wrapped smokies

1 package of bacon
1 package of little smokies (miniature smokey links)
3/4 cup brown sugar

Cut each strip of bacon in half, wrap each smokey with a half strip on bacon and place in baking dish.
Sprinkle bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bacon is done.
Serve while hot

Makes 36 appetizers
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 07:56 PM   #20
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

How about a great Shepard's pie recipe? (meat and veggie version) Let's hear from the UK linkers on this one!