BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

View Poll Results: your fav tennis player
Sampras 2 22.22%
Federer 3 33.33%
Laver 0 0%
Agassi 2 22.22%
Borg 0 0%
McEnroe 2 22.22%
Lendl 0 0%
Nadal 1 11.11%
Connors 0 0%
Becker 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
raul
Paperback Writer

Default your fav tennis player

1-pete sampras. First of all cause of his mental strength and flegmatic personallity. Not to mention the complete all-round game, even Federer lacks an outstanding serve, which is the most important shot. Of course, he holds pherhabs all the most important records, 14 slams, most weeks at no1, most years finished as no1, (6 consecutive years, 1993-98) most money won, etc etc. Roger will pherhabs beat some of those, but i think the competition these days is nowhere near what it was in the 90s.-Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe was still playing, Becker, Edberg, Courrier, Stich, Chang, Rafter, Ivanišević, etc etc. In fact it was a unique era in tennis history, with so many players with charismatic personalities. Look at today-nothing. Nadal is the living proof that Roger can be beaten, he has 9-4 or something like that score against him. And it's not only on clay. He beats him on hard coutrs. If only he was more stable, i'm not even sure on how much he cares at times, except rolland Garros. Plus, of course, there was the Sampras-Agassi rivalty, the biggest in the history of tennis. Andre is the only player in the open era to win all 4 slams, certainly in top 5 all time. And look at Pete against him-he never beat Pete in a slam, except in Australia, Ithink. He beat him in 1995 in the final, after Pete beat courrier in what is considered the most outstanding match in tennis history. Pete found out only earlier that day that his trainer and father figure Tim Garlickson was diagnosed with a brain tumor, Jim was leading 2-0 in sets, Pete came back 2-2, and at 1-0 in games in the 5th he uncontrolably burst into tears. And continued crying while playing! I mean he was playing as he was crying! And serving aces like a madman! One of the most unbelievable things ive ever seen! Andre also beat him in 2000, but it was very close, 3-2. Pete beat Andre 3-0 in 1999 Wimbledon finale, also 3-0 in us open 1990 finale, 3-1 in us open 1995 finale, 3-1 in that unbelievable quarter-final us open 2001, there were no breaks of serve, 6-7 7-6 7-6 7-6, it is regarded as the best match ever, playing-wise. And he beat him 3-1 in us open 2002 final, after not having won a single match in more than 2 years. I remember watching it on eurosport, and everyone had his favorite. One commentator said his is Pete, and said "i can see that some find that COMPLETELY insane, but i thought the same last year, and wasn't far off" (Pete lost in the final, played miserabelly, cause he had 3 monstruous matches right before (Rafter, Agassi, Safin). That was Pete's last match. And where's Roger's "Andre"? If it's Nadal, he has that positive score against Roger, Pete has 20-14, or something like that against Andre. If it's not Nadal, than there just isnt "ANdre" these days. I know it was an exibition, but it's still beyond understanding that Pete, at 36, beat Roger, at 26, 2-0. I saw it, and it was really a regular match, no exibition.

2-mcenroe . I dont even have to comment on this. The most wacked-out man i ever saw.

3-Laver

4-andre-although i dont like his personality, he's a phenomenal player

5-borg

6-roger

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

From this list I would pick Jimmy Connors as a favorite player, simply because I do not like that much the others mentioned.

Sure, Pete Sampras is a winner with many prices but.. not a favorite, maybe because of his funny outfits. John McEnroe I could pick because he played tennis with George Harrison and also has the winner mentality I like a lot.

My favorites though, also since we talk here various decades, are Ilie Nastase, Michael Chang, Jim Courier, Stefan Edberg and typical Englishman Tim Henman

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jan 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
From this list I would pick Jimmy Connors as a favorite player, simply because I do not like that much the others mentioned.

Sure, Pete Sampras is a winner with many prices but.. not a favorite, maybe because of his funny outfits. John McEnroe I could pick because he played tennis with George Harrison and also has the winner mentality I like a lot.

My favorites though, also since we talk here various decades, are Ilie Nastase, Michael Chang, Jim Courier, Stefan Edberg and typical Englishman Tim Henman
He played with George?????

Legs
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
He played with George?????
http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22236

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:35 AM   #5
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Come to think of it, McEnroe was also a musician. A Hendrix-lunatic. He once said he was fed up being famous, people stopping him on the street all the time. So he decided to wear a Hendrix-wig and fake moustaches! And then he went to a store, and the guy working there said to him "Youre john mcenroe" john: "how do you know?" the guy: "i recognised your voice."

Legs
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:07 AM   #6
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I'm not a big tennis fan but BadLittlekid must vote another one like himself: John McEnroe.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Clark Kent
Sun King

It's Federer for me. He's an astonishing talent and he has such an amazing repetoire of shots. Some of the returns he makes on his forehand and backhand have to be seen to be believed. Federer is also a brilliant server. He doesn't serve at the same pace as someone like Roddick but his serves are deadly accurate. On his day, Federer is totally unplayable and can reduce even the strongest challengers to impotence. He's brilliant to watch. I hope he makes it six Wimbledon titles in a row.

Out of the former players, Borg was arguably the best. He won Wimbledon five times and the French Open six times and it's rare, nigh on impossible, to be consistently good on both clay and grass. Borg's style - baseline tennis with strong groundstrokes - was suited to clay but he was able to translate it to grass and win 41 straight matches at Wimbledon. That is a mark of a great player. He won the French/Wimbledon 'double' three times, which is the hardest combination of Grand Slam events to win.
Old May 06, 2008, 02:28 PM   #8
raul
Paperback Writer

Legs
Old May 07, 2008, 07:46 PM   #9
raul
Paperback Writer

Legs

Last edited by raul : May 08, 2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old May 09, 2008, 02:14 PM   #10
raul
Paperback Writer

pete's 14 slams

Legs
Old May 10, 2008, 05:57 AM   #11
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

McEnroe. That guy is a complete jerk and I love it.
Old May 11, 2008, 04:03 AM   #12
raul
Paperback Writer

sampras-becker wimbledon '95 finale

Legs

Last edited by raul : May 11, 2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 11:48 AM   #13
raul
Paperback Writer

us open 2001 against andre, proclaimed the best match ever

4th set tie break

Legs
Old Jul 09, 2008, 12:25 PM   #14
digdad
Sun King

Wow. I remember watching Becker when he was a 17-year-old phenon. Now he's retired. I feel old.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2008, 01:26 PM   #15
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Wow. I remember watching Becker when he was a 17-year-old phenon. Now he's retired. I feel old.
He's been retired since 1997! Yeah, he's almost exactly a year younger than you. I'm no flower in bloom, either. ...20 days 'til the Middle Ages! What's "phenon"? Phenomononomonopmonom. I think he's STILL the youngest ever grand slam champion, he was 17, with that 1985 wimbledon. I remember it very well, I was in a boaeridg, I mean boarding school in Vienna, when he played Kevin Curren in the final. It was hell. (Not tha match, the boarding school!) I was a big fan, but then Pete came along. I think he respected Pete more than any other great player respected Pete. He was constantly going on and on how Pete doesn't have a weak spot in his game, and is invincible "unschlagbar", as he said it, when he plays in high form.

Legs
Old Jul 09, 2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Clark Kent
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
He's been retired since 1997! Yeah, he's almost exactly a year younger than you. I'm no flower in bloom, either. ...20 days 'til the Middle Ages! What's "phenon"? Phenomononomonopmonom. I think he's STILL the youngest ever grand slam champion, he was 17, with that 1985 wimbledon. I remember it very well, I was in a boaeridg, I mean boarding school in Vienna, when he played Kevin Curren in the final. It was hell. (Not tha match, the boarding school!) I was a big fan, but then Pete came along. I think he respected Pete more than any other great player respected Pete. He was constantly going on and on how Pete doesn't have a weak spot in his game, and is invincible "unschlagbar", as he said it, when he plays in high form.
I believe Michael Chang was the youngest man to win a grand slam title.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 07:31 PM   #17
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I believe Michael Chang was the youngest man to win a grand slam title.
I think you're right. Thanks!

Legs
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:45 AM   #18
george_on_cloud9
Sun King

And Michael Chang? Doesn't have his name in the vote list...

Favorite Beatle: George (1943-2001)

Favorite Beatle year(s): 1966, 1967*, 1968

(*1967 was the year that My Guy was born... my favorite Guy...)

My Quote for George:
"A Butterfly Flying Around Me Saying Goodbye!"
(29/11/2001)
God Bless You, George... Love ya...

"GEORGE ! You just give me stripes, moustache and a smile... cause You're So Fine!"

Song to remember the Past: "In My Life"

Just call me Cloud or GOC9
george_on_cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:22 AM   #19
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_on_cloud9 View Post
And Michael Chang? Doesn't have his name in the vote list...
I like him A LOT. But, sadly there's the statistics, that French open remained his only slam. Room only for ten. AAAAh I see someone finally voted for Pete, giving him his only vote besides mine. My next goal is to "force" a vote for Palpatine in "the most powerful character in Star Wars". Don't worry, I'll upload two videos that will scare you that much that you'll have no choice. Really, people my not like him, but it's not "your fav character", it's "the most powerful character". He so far has only my vote. Yet Anakin has like 10, ok I'll grant that, but Yoda the like of 8, and Pal only mine? Just don't tell me something personal with me has influenced votes, provoquing a bias.

Legs
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:25 AM   #20
raul
Paperback Writer

you CAN NOT be serious!

Legs

Last edited by raul : Apr 28, 2010 at 11:27 AM.