BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:08 AM   #1
dogman
Nowhere Man

Default favourite drumming.

i've never listened to a beatle song and thought that the drumming should of been a lot better, and i imagine you haven't either?
i say that coz there is one thing that really gets me mad, and thats criticism of ringo's playing. i read on a drumming forum yesterday that most people who say he's bad, are non-drummers.

anyway, just wanted to get that out of the way!

one reason i like ringo's drumming is that fact that you can really notice it on a lot of the songs, and its a great sound too. so what tracks contain your favourite ringo drumming? doesn't have to be technical or anything, just that you really like, and listen out for.

i love his playing and sound on 'strawberry fields forever'.
'hello goodbye' is another one, on this one he sounds like he's having a lot of fun.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2
weirdojace
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to weirdojace

The end of Dear Prudence is the best drumming on any Beatles song ever.
weirdojace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

The Anthology 2 version of "Good Morning, Good Morning."

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Ringo is a great power pop drummer. He virtually invented power pop drumming, really.

Like was said from the start, there's not a single Beatles record I know of that I don't like Ringo's drumming on...except maybe the version of "Love Me Do" which features him. That's really it. Everything else is absolutely stellar.

Favorites:

"A Day in the Life"--I mean, those fills...WOW!!!! They blow my mind afresh everytime I really listen to it.

Long, Long, Long--One of the most underappreciated tracks in the whole Beatles catalog. And Ringo's "Yet Another Day in the Life" approach is even more amazing to these ears than his work on the original ADITL.

And of course..."RAIN"--What can be said that hasn't already been said?...One of the most important drumming moments in the history of rock.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."

Last edited by Reverend Rock : Oct 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:55 AM   #6
62hofner

I have always thought that Ringo's drumming was totally under-rated. I mean, when compared to some of the more flashy drummers from that era like Keith Moon and Mitch Mitchell, one might see Ringo as "mediocre".

But you've got to take the drumming into context with the music it goes along with... and when you do that, you can arrive at just one conclusion: that Ringo was a solid 1st-rate drummer. He knew exactly what the songs needed and delivered on each performance.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
vekku
Little Child

[quote=62hofner;979339]But you've got to take the drumming into context with the music it goes along with...QUOTE]

Yep, exactly. Drums are part of the ensemble and criticizing drumming only
in a context of some prog or fusion jazz oriented technical structure is just goofy. And can be misleading, too. Too bad that many of us drummers tend to be more academic technicians than any kind of artists.

But even more than art, drums are music. Ringo plays so exhuberantly well on so many songs but maybe the entire Rubber Soul album, especially in its new remastered sound brilliance, is a presentable sample of his playing. I would like to point out the single stroke tom rolls, accents on hi-hat and tremendous tempo playing, which gives the fantastic compositions that float they deserve.

The whole Beatles catalogue is full of tastefully intonated and cleverly invented drum beats and fills. It is evident that most of those were also invented by Ringo, although Paul did a lot of work also at that field. If I should name one song that I like the most drumming-wise, let that be Rain.

Last edited by vekku : Oct 15, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
vekku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:11 AM   #8
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

LOVE the drums on "Not a Second Time."
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:38 AM   #9
weirdojace
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to weirdojace

Sometimes I hear other drummers actually say Ringo wasn't good or even "untalented." And I can't believe it. He was a great drummer.

Thing is, a lot of drummers (especially ones around my age) equate good drumming with how loud and fast you're playing. Which yeah, that can work in some styles of music, but if Ringo did it, it would sound out of place. You have to take the context of the music into account.

Another thing I love about Ringo's drumming is unlike a lot of drummers, he knew when he needed to shut up. If a part of the song didn't need drums, he didn't play. If it only needed a hi-hat hit on the downbeat of every measure, that's all he did for that section. So many drummers I know just can't wrap their heads around the fact that sometimes drums need to be quiet.
weirdojace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:45 AM   #10
dogman
Nowhere Man

i'm sure most of you would of seen these already, but for those who haven't:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drumpage.html
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I love the drumming on Rain and Tomorroe Never Knows

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Clark Kent
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonluvr9 View Post
I love the drumming on Rain and Tomorroe Never Knows
Ringo considered those two to be his best performances. I also like his drumming on "Oh! Darling". The drumming on "Tomorrow Never Knows" sounds like a deluxe version of the drumming on "What You're Doing".
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:13 PM   #13
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdojace View Post

Thing is, a lot of drummers (especially ones around my age) equate good drumming with how loud and fast you're playing.
Same holds true for guitar playing and bass playing. When I was in high school, my music buddies used to make fun of guitarists who didn't have sparks flying off their fret boards! When did the "faster and louder is better" mind set ever take hold?

Give me one well-placed, mournful guitar string bend over a 30-note rapid-fire phrase ANY day!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:27 AM   #14
vekku
Little Child

I think it was the fusion jazz and van halen of the '70s that began that attitude. I think it used to be better in the '90s but now we're back to the same crap.

Listen to the great dynamic drumming on Wait!
vekku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:21 AM   #15
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Even if it's one of the Beatles somewhat more simplistic songs, I LOVE Ringo's drumming on 'I Saw Her Standing There'. In most of their early performances, he always seems to get really into it during that song - he pretty much defines rock & roll in it.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Esmirelda
Sun King

I also love Ringo's drumming in Tell Me Why.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:21 PM   #17
ManAtTheWindow
Nowhere Man

As originally stated, it's hard to think of a Beatles track where the drums sound in any way inadequate.
Some of my favourite Ringo performances have been mentioned already - Rain, A Day In The Life, Long Long Long - but I'd also cite Come Together and Something as examples of the fact that few drummers would have come up with the parts that so often become an integral part of great Beatles tracks.
Other fine examples are Get Back, I Feel Fine and Ticket To Ride - the drum parts are almost hooks in themselves!

The way that I sum it up is that most drummers want to play the drums but Ringo's priority is always to play the song.
ManAtTheWindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:02 AM   #18
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Yes...Ringo was always serving the song, and that is a huge part of what made the Beatles such a great band.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:23 AM   #19
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

For the longest time, The Beatles' songs (for me) defied deconstruction. I never really heard what any of them were doing, and perhaps that's a testament to how seamlessly they fit together -- Ringo's drumming was there and blended in so well to what the song needed that you only really notice it when it's not there and the song doesn't sound right. Of course, now I notice these things a lot more often (thanks to the remasters).

Incidentally, I also have a newfound respect for Ringo because of Rock Band. I know it's not the same as actually drumming, but when I see the visual representation of which drum was being used and when and how often, it blows my mind. I'm lucky if I can pass a song with more than 60% of the notes hit.

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:50 AM   #20
lennon71
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rock View Post
Yes...Ringo was always serving the song, and that is a huge part of what made the Beatles such a great band.
For sure - exactly how I think about it.

All of them did that... George has heaps of examples that show he did just what was right for the moment rather than being the moment.