BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Loony_leo
Bulldog
 
Loony_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,388
Default The Flight of the Conchords??

Heya! Has anyone else ever heard of these guys? They're a New Zealand folk rock comedy duo, they've got a sitcom on HBO (but had a BBC radio show before that), and they're a hoot!!
They spoof all sorts of different musical genres. If you haven't heard of them, check em out they're pretty funny!

One of my favourite songs by them is "Hurt Feelings", its really funny!
__________________
`~`~`Tani`~`~`
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
coolbeanie
Dr. Robert
 
Join Date: Dec 19, 2008
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,102

Default

They are the bestest ever! I love them too. (Plus they are cute!)
__________________
coolbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Loony_leo
Bulldog
 
Loony_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeanie View Post
They are the bestest ever! I love them too. (Plus they are cute!)

They are aren't they??? Gemain (Germain? Jermain? I don't know how to spell it) was looking really cute this season. Too bad he's married.
__________________
`~`~`Tani`~`~`
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:13 PM   #4
mluque125
Paperback Writer
 
mluque125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,733
Send a message via AIM to mluque125
Default

I LOVE them. I had a chance to see them live but money issues got in the way and couldn't. I am still depressed over that. I hope they make a third season of their show! It is absolutely hilarious!!
__________________
Maria

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
mluque125
Paperback Writer
 
mluque125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,733
Send a message via AIM to mluque125
Default

Bret Brit Bret Brit haha
__________________
Maria

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
coolbeanie
Dr. Robert
 
Join Date: Dec 19, 2008
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,102

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_leo View Post
They are aren't they??? Gemain (Germain? Jermain? I don't know how to spell it) was looking really cute this season. Too bad he's married.
It's Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie. Yes, Jemaine is very cute! Yeah, he's married, but then, so am I! Oh well.
__________________

Last edited by coolbeanie : Apr 30, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
coolbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer
 
Mrs.Mustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 02, 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 2,573
Default

ooooh, I love them!
__________________
"Each one believing that love never dies"
Mrs.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
jtal909
Sun King
 
jtal909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 07, 2000
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 6,500

Default

saw them at the tower theater in philadelphia a few weeks ago they were funny as the show and sound amazing live.

they said to the audience, "do you mind if we call you phil?"
__________________
Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 06:20 AM   #9
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default

Since I'm a wee kiwi myself, I have aboslutely heard of them. Jermaine has been on various TV comedy shows for years and years and years - I feel like I grew up with his face.

It has given me such pleasure to see them succeed the way that they have. NZ on Air which is like the funding thing for music and talent in NZ gave them a raw deal and no support whatsoever (unless they became somethign entirely different from what they are) so the fact that they are now an internatioal hit and the toast of HBO is suuuuuch a good thing. In your FACE New Zealand fat cats! HAHAHAHA! wooohooo!

I still hate my accent though, despite the fact that people now seem to know more about where it came from.
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default

Ooooh and look! I even started a thread on them last year when they won awards in NZ! I am devoted!

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36616
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Loony_leo
Bulldog
 
Loony_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Since I'm a wee kiwi myself, I have aboslutely heard of them. Jermaine has been on various TV comedy shows for years and years and years - I feel like I grew up with his face.

It has given me such pleasure to see them succeed the way that they have. NZ on Air which is like the funding thing for music and talent in NZ gave them a raw deal and no support whatsoever (unless they became somethign entirely different from what they are) so the fact that they are now an internatioal hit and the toast of HBO is suuuuuch a good thing. In your FACE New Zealand fat cats! HAHAHAHA! wooohooo!

I still hate my accent though, despite the fact that people now seem to know more about where it came from.

Wow, thats ridiculous that they tried to get them to change! Grr, why do the mainstream sides of music ALWAYS try to do that to the indie artists?
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 07:59 PM   #12
mluque125
Paperback Writer
 
mluque125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,733
Send a message via AIM to mluque125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Since I'm a wee kiwi myself, I have aboslutely heard of them. Jermaine has been on various TV comedy shows for years and years and years - I feel like I grew up with his face.

It has given me such pleasure to see them succeed the way that they have. NZ on Air which is like the funding thing for music and talent in NZ gave them a raw deal and no support whatsoever (unless they became somethign entirely different from what they are) so the fact that they are now an internatioal hit and the toast of HBO is suuuuuch a good thing. In your FACE New Zealand fat cats! HAHAHAHA! wooohooo!

I still hate my accent though, despite the fact that people now seem to know more about where it came from.
Wow, so happy for them, they're really talented!

"I'm making a lasagna...for one." hahaha, gets me everytime.

"I like

PIE!!"
__________________
Maria

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer
 
Mrs.Mustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 02, 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 2,573
Default

"we only say affirmative."

"Yes, affirmative."
Hahaha, I adore that line.
__________________
"Each one believing that love never dies"
Mrs.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2009, 09:44 PM   #14
heyjude
Wild Honey Pie
 
heyjude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17, 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 520
Default

I've heard this band, seen some youtube videos to see what all the fuss is about.
Honestly, I thought it was a waste of time. This music just isn't for me...
__________________
We reckoned we could make it because there were four of us. None of us would've made it alone, because Paul wasn't quite strong enough, I didn't have enough girl-appeal, George was too quiet, and Ringo was the drummer. But we thought that everyone would be able to dig at least one of us, and that's how it turned out.
- John Lennon
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2009, 01:40 AM   #15
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I've heard this band, seen some youtube videos to see what all the fuss is about.
Honestly, I thought it was a waste of time. This music just isn't for me...
have you watched the TV show? or seen the live comedy they do? it isn't just about the music. that's like a bonus.

but nah, maybe it isn't for you.
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2009, 09:54 AM   #16
jtal909
Sun King
 
jtal909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 07, 2000
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 6,500

Default

they are talented musicians, but the music alone isn't their message.
It's the whole comedy package music/lyrics/attitude/wit, and on the HBO show there are nuances like their accents, movements, expressions that add to the equation.
and the hbo show has a great also amusing funny cast.
dry humor at times not for everybody but if you get it, it's original and witty.
__________________
Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2009, 04:15 PM   #17
mluque125
Paperback Writer
 
mluque125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,733
Send a message via AIM to mluque125
Default

Yeah, I agree with the fact that you have to watch the show to really get the whole idea of their music. However, it really isn't for everyone, but it's for me!
__________________
Maria

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2009, 06:59 PM   #18
jtal909
Sun King
 
jtal909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 07, 2000
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 6,500

Default

me too
__________________
Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2009, 08:25 PM   #19
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer
 
Mrs.Mustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 02, 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 2,573
Default

And me aswell. !
__________________
"Each one believing that love never dies"
Mrs.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurrah for the Conchords! Lucy Not Only A Northern Song 11 Jan 15, 2009 07:14 PM
Wings Alumni to Take Flight jesgear Red Rose Speedway 3 Jul 17, 2007 11:35 AM
Courtney Love Arrested After Flight SF4-EVER Not Only A Northern Song 8 Feb 25, 2003 10:58 AM
Last Flight - Paul & Wings live in Glasgow Legs Bootleg Network 11 May 14, 2002 11:33 PM
Home Flight another poem Legs Not Only A Northern Song 11 Apr 22, 2002 02:21 PM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2020 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved