BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old May 21, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry
Default Wings Over America reissue reviews

Didn't see a topic for this yet.

Just listened to the Wings Over America reissue CDs. Gotta say once again that the upgrade is pretty amazing. The main thing that jumped out was how clear and punchy Paul's bass is, the guy just knew how to groove on that thing. Definitely brought back a lot of memories of throwing on the old vinyl records (all three of them!), and the big huge gatefold LP. Hard to believe that Paul is still belting out this stuff nearly 40 years later.

I also have the bonus DVD with the 'Wings Over The World' film, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I don't have the bonus CD with the 8 new live tracks, but I'm sure that's just as nice.

Anybody else listened yet?

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Got my vinyl copy today. The packaging is very nice. I'm currently listening and enjoying this fantastic album. But I can't discern one bit of difference from the original. Except for the fact that I have a better sound system than I did in 1978.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

That's really funny. Yeah I know right, most people last listened to this album on vinyl, or at most on an older CD. Remastering a live album that you probably haven't heard more than a few times just doesn't pack the same punch as remastering a studio album that you've heard a million times and know every single second of.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
That's really funny. Yeah I know right, most people last listened to this album on vinyl, or at most on an older CD. Remastering a live album that you probably haven't heard more than a few times just doesn't pack the same punch as remastering a studio album that you've heard a million times and know every single second of.
As a collector, I had a moment of indecision as to whether I should actually unwrap it. But this album has always been easily reasonably acquired. That won't change. That being said, this album sounds fantastic. But it should be noted that the original sounds no less fantastic.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

I got the deluxe set, and it looks very nice, easily the best of the reissues so far. At first I was concerned that Ram would stick out too much from BotR and the two McCartney albums as it was a completely different design, but now I'm worried it's the first three that will be out of place if they keep releasing stuff like this! Having the different books slide into the case works a lot better than the fold-out design of Ram, and everything seems to have been done perfectly. I really like the leather design of the book that holds the album info and the discs. As for the content, I haven't listened to the album itself yet, but am currently watching Wings Over the World. I am rather pleased with the video quality. Overall, I am very impressed by the deluxe set, and wouldn't be surprised if it's nominated for a Grammy like Ram was last year.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Got Rockshow today. Wow, it sounds fab-u-lous. That is the first big noticeable improvement. It does not disappoint. Good separation and although probably taken from the original release, I never noticed that the engineers pushed the faders of the musician who is most prominently in the frame. This is a cool affect. Visually this movie never was what could be described as "stunning". It's a dark stage most often. But it definitely has cleaned up and is a big step up from my laserdisc. The lighting is less washed out and is more defined. Even beautiful. It also has several additional songs not on the original release. Picasso's Last Words/Richard Cory and My Love are the two that come to mind. The packaging is nice w interesting liner notes and some cool unseen photos. My suggestion is if you're looking for an upgrade to your original, this is a solid acquisition for the money. More so than WOA vinyl release, which is a great release, just not vastly improved over the original, imo. With the exception of the 180 gram vinyl.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Still haven't got it.
Waiting till I can get my hands on the 3 cd Best Buy version.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Finally got the vinyl version of this. Couldn't leave it where I found it, tho I had to leave some money behind. Vinyl sounds very nice. I never had an vinyl version before so I can't compare, but I am happy with the sound of this release. Ofcourse it also came with a download card, and while I did have the cd already, I thought why not use the card to download the mp3 files as well.

I was kind of hoping they would make a mistake and send me high resolution files instead of mp3's, but no surprises there.
What did surprise me tho was that the 8 songs from the Cow Palace were included with the download. I thought these were exclusive to Best Buy only. So if you have the lp but not the best buy cd version, and you haven't used the download card already because you didn't feel the need, you might still want to use it for the 8 bonus tracks, albeit only as mp3 files.

Last edited by Legs : Nov 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 01:53 AM   #10
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

... sorry to ask so soon... but when and what will be the next re-release ?

Just who is handling these ???

When I git the "McCartney" I & II ones (three-and-a-half years ago !), it already included adverts for the "coming next" re-releases of "Venus & Mars" and "Speed of sound"... so not only are they taking forever, but they're not even releasing them in the same order as announced...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

V&M and SoS are supposed to come out next year. Apparently Tug of War & Pipes of Peace will be the next two after those.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote