BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:12 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Exclamation How PETA Gets its Dough

What do y'all think of this comment?

Animal Rights: How PETA Gets its Dough

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/sec...ets-its-dough/

I am frequently asked in interviews how a radical and misanthropic organization like PETA gets so much money. The answer is simple. Many average people think the group is about just being nicer to animals, when it is actually about ending all animal domestication.

Then there are the shallow celebrities, who provide a cornucopia of cash. Take Paul McCartney. After his wife Linda died of breast cancer, he gave millions to cancer research (applause), but then counter-donated with millions to PETA–even though PETA’s hostility to animal research serves to impede cancer research. Moreover, PETA loathes horseback riding, and yet, Linda was a great horse woman. Talk about clueless!

Now, Bob Barker has forked over $2.5 million. From the story:

Former “Price is Right” host Bob Barker is lending his name, and a considerable amount of his cash, to the construction of a new Los Angeles home for PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Barker and a bevy of game show caliber beauties joined PETA President Ingrid Newkirk Wednesday for a groundbreaking at what will become the new PETA office on Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. The 86 year old daytime TV legend donated $2.5 million to make the project happen. It’s no coincidence that the office will be named The Bob Barker Building. Barker was a longtime advocate for spaying and neutering, as well as other animal rights issues, during his Price is Right tenure.

No, PETA isn’t about spaying. It is about ending all uses of animals: Another example of the media conflating animal welfare and animal rights. But with celebrities with money to burn like Bob Barker and Paul McCartney, the price for PETA is always right.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I'm no fan of PETA and the mean spirited comments say a lot about the one who made them and NOT about anyone else.

The trouble I have with PETA, which I think is an extremist group is the violence. It is one thing to want animals to be treated ethically and kindly. I'm for that. What I DON'T support is endangering people such as when PETA has blown up labs and thrown paint on people wearing fur clothing. Endangering the lives of people flies in the face of ethical treatment. Human beings ARE a kind of animal, a member of the category "animal" and subjecting them to degrading treatment at best, endangering them at worst is NOT what I call ethical. Sounds very hypocritical to me.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
saandel
Fool On The Hill

"Then there are the shallow celebrities, who provide a cornucopia of cash. Take Paul McCartney..."

That was my favorite part of those two posts.

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Keep posting more on this issue.

"See the wold spinning 'round"

Last edited by saandel : Mar 13, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
saandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Hari's Chick

I think at times PETA pitches as hard as possible trying to make some sort of impact. Kind of three steps forward, two steps back kind of thing. If an issue arises, they go all out, but must know that likely (like it or not) any viewpoint considered extreme won't be accepted by the masses. For instance, they may call to end captivity at all Seaworld parks... but may succeed not in ending that, but instead their calling attention in radical ways may make the animals' environments bigger or somehow nicer. If they had asked for bigger or nicer environments in the first place, they would be apt to just be ignored.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:42 AM   #5
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

What I really can't stand, among other things that they do, is to take their issues to really young kids, in ways meant to scare them into thinking their way.

I still vividly recall when, a couple of years back, some of their people came up here and stood in front of a school (5, 6 and 7 year old children) and handed them pamphlets and such, showing how little girls quickly become fat, get acne and gas problems and farting because they drink... milk (yep, drawing of a fat, acne faced, little girl.... her skirt lifting from her farting !). And that's just one example of what they were "teaching" those kids.

When I heard that they planned to be in front of the same school the next morning (this despite parent protests), I did something I normally don't do in such cases... I ACTED !

I was so besides myself with their trying to terrorize kids of that age that I went there and, right in front of the PETA people and the media covering them... VERY slowly downed a two litre container of milk and, back then, I was still fairly thin and healthy looking ! So I sort of made the "visible" counterpoint that, even in one's thirties and being a "milk drinker"... does NOT make you necessarily fat and farting or give you acne !

And, since then, I've sooooooooooooooooooooo wondered how PETA would react if, say, a bunch of seal hunters gave out pamphlets, saying how seal meat is good for you, to those same kids, eh ???????????????
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:46 AM   #6
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saandel View Post
"Then there are the shallow celebrities, who provide a cornucopia of cash. Take Paul McCartney..."

That was my favorite part of those two posts.

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Keep posting more on this issue.

"See the wold spinning 'round"
My "favorite" part was the riding of horses bit... yes, if one really, REALLY loves horses as much as Paul and Linda said they did, then why ride them... instead of setting them loose on the grounds of their farm ?

Oh, the cancer reaserch point was also very telling... I could so see a doctor telling Paul

"Well, there was this new experimental drug that could help your wife... but as a ban was put on testing on animals (frowns at Paul), the research was discontinued..."
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
What do y'all think of this comment?
such insane, unreliable, half-baked, importunate, sensationalist drivel, a bunch of tedious bunkum and misanthropic horsefeathers. and such contrived, delusional and paperthin assertions, ambiguous and arbitrary complaints, biased and patently fantastic commentary. The mode of argumentation that is employed here is just nothing more than topheavy and shallow contrarianism. totally bogus.

hardly reflective of the truth, the unrealistic criticisms are disingenuous, remote and trashy.

there is nothing wrong with PETA the animal rights organization and what they do in the way of education and outreach. Sir Paul is obviously a thoughtful, outspoken and courageous animal rights activist, this is hardly a good reason to slander and criticize him and question his motivations.

animal testing is unreliable. it is true that a great deal of human death and suffering has been caused by misleading animal tests, they are hardly scientifically valid or worthwhile. fact is you could do better tossing a coin than engaging in contrived and artificial animal experimentation, and research, to predict the effectiveness on human subjects, the results speak for themselves.
Quote:
http://www.opposingviews.com/counter...-is-unreliable
Studies have found that chemicals that cause cancer in rats only caused cancer in mice 46 percent of the time—that's about the same as flipping a coin. If extrapolating from rats to mice is so problematic, how can we apply results from mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, dogs, monkeys, and other animals to humans? Sir Alexander Fleming, who discovered penicillin, remarked, "How fortunate we didn't have these animal tests in the 1940s, for penicillin would probably have never been granted a license, and probably the whole field of antibiotics might never have been realized."
http://www.stopanimaltests.com/f-pointcounterpoint.asp

PETA has a membership base of over 2 million people, including the compassionate and caring animal rights celebrities such as Sir Paul and Bob Barker.

Go Vegetarian with Sir Paul McCartney

An Open Letter from Sir Paul McCartney

Animal Use and Abuse Statistics: The Shocking Numbers

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Mar 15, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:01 AM   #8
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
The trouble I have... which I think is an extremist group is the violence. It is one thing to want animals to be treated ethically and kindly. I'm for that. What I DON'T support is endangering people such as when PETA has blown up labs and thrown paint on people wearing fur clothing... Sounds very hypocritical to me.
i hope you don't really believe that, PETA has done no such thing. if one was truly ethical and had an ounce of compassion within themselves then one would be veggie, no questions asked, it's not rocket science i'm afraid. and the issues surrounding animal rights, humane compassionate behavior, ethics and responsibility speaks for themselves.

All our songs are anti-war. John Lennon.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Mar 15, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote