BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Apr 30, 2003, 09:23 PM   #1
shyGirl
Sun King

Default Sir Paul won\'t let it be

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2902,00.html

When his daughter described him as a "tight b---ard" for sending her to a comprehensive school, it obviously hit a nerve.

So Sir Paul McCartney has decided to have his own say about the education he provided for his daughter Stella, now a famed fashion designer.
He insisted it was not the expense but a fear of their children being spoiled that made him and wife Linda reject private schools in favour of the local comprehensive in Rye, East Sussex.

In an interview last month Stella, 31, spoke of her embarrassment at having the richest parents in the playground.

She said any children she might have would be sent to a private school.

"I didn't really go around thinking 'what great benefits there are for me in going to a comprehensive'," she said.

Sir Paul, 60, said he was certain she was joking.

"Apparently she was talking about me sending them to a council school instead of a posh one," he said. "But it wasn't my decision. It was a mum and dad decision and Stella hasn't done badly by it. I'm really not that tight."

He said that he had also refused to buy Stella a luxurious car when she turned 18.

"Ringo had a right go at me," he said.
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 01:01 PM   #2
beatlelover45223

Default Re: Sir Paul won\'t let it be

Wonder what Paul was talking about, when he said Ringo had a go at him, was it the comment Ringo made about him with the credit switch thing? I do think that Ringo's comment was pretty low down, considering they are supposed to be mates
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I think he just meant that Ringo called him a cheapskate or something when he didn't buy Stella a car. Who knows how it was meant? Maybe it was all just a big joke.

My dad has plenty of money and he didn't buy me a car either. Oh well. He did give me an education so I could get a good enough job to buy my own. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 01:10 PM   #4
beatlelover45223

I think Paul & Linda did well by their kids, wanted to keep them grounded, nothing wrong with that, look at Stella now, she has a great career, think the name may have helped quite a bit though, no?
Old May 02, 2003, 01:13 PM   #5
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
I think he just meant that Ringo called him a cheapskate or something when he didn't buy Stella a car. Who knows how it was meant? Maybe it was all just a big joke.

My dad has plenty of money and he didn't buy me a car either. Oh well. He did give me an education so I could get a good enough job to buy my own. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">thanks for this, guess I missed that one(Ringo calling Paul cheap)
Old May 02, 2003, 06:45 PM   #6
OnlySleeping
Apple Scruff

I think Paul was right to do that. I see a lot of young people in my town who get these fancy sports cars from their parents. I just don't think that's the kind of thing a person should get used to. I mean, they can't expect their parents to support them forever and if anything happens, they'll have to deal with having a not-so-nice car, which is a huge step down after some fantastic car.
OnlySleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 06:57 PM   #7
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted By OnlySleeping:
I think Paul was right to do that. I see a lot of young people in my town who get these fancy sports cars from their parents. I just don't think that's the kind of thing a person should get used to. I mean, they can't expect their parents to support them forever and if anything happens, they'll have to deal with having a not-so-nice car, which is a huge step down after some fantastic car.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I agree...I've seen that way too often, too. A car is a BIG expense, and I know my parents sure didn't have enough money to help me out with insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. when I was in high school! I didn't get a car until I was 21 years old, and even then it was an old minivan with 100,000+ miles on it. And now I'm driving an '84 Olds (which actually was in better condition than the minivan). From what I've seen, though, about 75% of those people who get a brand new sporty car when they're in high school have it trashed by the time they get to college.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2003, 11:47 PM   #8
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I had my degree for several years before I ever even HAD a car and even then I've never owned a new one. I'm driving a 12-year-old car and it's doing well.

A car is a privilege, not an entitlement. Yeah, it makes for a wonderful gift, but it is not something any parents owe their child(ren).

For years I depended on the bus system to get me places or I walked and on rare occasions got a ride from somebody. I don't see that Paul was wrong not to buy her a luxury car. My favorite uncle bought all 8 my cousins cars, but they were USED cars with the stipulation that they would use their cars to drive to interviews and get jobs.

After all, "can't buy me love..."
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2003, 12:41 PM   #9
Lynner

I agree with Cecilia. Paul could've easily given his children anything that they wanted, but he thought they needed to be like ordinary folks. I'm sure they didn't starve and probably did have some extras, just not luxury cars! He allowed them to travel, so they've been able to see things I'll bet most of their friends growing up could only dream about.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2003, 03:18 PM   #10
PauLuver69
Nowhere Man

Geez, if my parents were super rich I wouldn't want to go to a private school! I'd just like to be normal and go to a regular highschool.

One of my friend's parents own a real estate company and they are filthy rich...but she never boasts about it. She just wants to fit in, she doesn't want to be the 'best' or the 'richest' or whatever. She doesn't wear fancy expensive clothes, and shes just a regular teenager.

I think Stella needs to get over it (if she actually meant it), she has a great career (in which I'm sure having her dad's name helped) and a great father who let her live as normal life as possible. Hell, she could have been living like Michael Jackson's kids!
PauLuver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2003, 03:51 PM   #11

I agree with Paul- she hasn't done too bad because of it. Of all the McCartney kids, Stella may be the most famous on her own. It obviously did her some good. Who knows, if she had went to the posh school, she might have turned out differently, just riding on the MCCartney money instead of wanting to carve a place for herself in the world.

Have any of the McCartney kids done albums? You always hear about Sean and Julian, but never about the mcCartney kids, which I think there are many of them.
Old May 05, 2003, 04:41 PM   #12
Lynner

There are 4 McCartney children: step-daughter, Heather, who I believe works with pottery; Mary, a photographer in her own right; Stella, who is a designer and James who does dabble in music. He played guitar on Driving Rain.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2003, 05:54 PM   #13
MaccaGirl
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Lynner:
James who does dabble in music. He played guitar on Driving Rain.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">And Flaming Pie's Heaven on a Sunday [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
MaccaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2003, 11:41 PM   #14
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

I think that Paul's intentions were to do the best for his kids, and tried that they didn't feel superior with the rest of the kids in town, and that they see the point that money doesn't grow in the trees.
Cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote