BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Exclamation Heather Mills: Is she skating on thin ice?

Heather Mills: Is she skating on thin ice?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/2...5875-21947425/

Iíve not always been a fan of Heather Mills. But letís face it, who has?

She hasnít always been the easiest person to warm to with her public histrionics but then I guess she was married to a Beatle, which in Britain must be the hardest partner to choose after a member of the royal family
But there was one thing Heather Mills was never in short supply of Ė balls. And nothing has proved that so well as her taking part in the new series of Dancing On Ice.

Now, as you may remember from when I took part last year and was updating you regularly with my aches, pains, sprains, bumps and bruises, this show is hard-core reality TV.

Trust me, celebrities who get to eat kangaroo testicles have got it easy compared with having to spin around an ice rink for three minutes. Which is why I truly admire Heather Mills for giving it a go, particularly considering she lost her leg years ago and now wears a prosthetic limb.

Iím co-hosting Dancing On Ice Friday with Ben Shephard every week and so Iíve already glimpsed the contestants in preparation and I was impressed with Heather.

In addition to the pain she often gets from her artificial leg, sheís already had to cope with one snapped rib, another fractured rib, a broken rotator cuff (whatever that might be, sounds like something off a lawnmower) and a problem with her pelvis.

And she hasnít even been on the telly yet!

Heather is clearly of the Ďno pain, no gainí school of thought, which is something I like to follow too.

Ultimately, her success or failure on the show will be determined by how the great British public judges not just her skating, but her ability to cope with the demands of the contest.

I made it through to the semi-finals last year not because I was going to be Britainís next Jayne Torvill, but because I kept my chin up and my boots on even when things got really tough.

And if Heather can do the same, Iím sure people will warm to her. I like to think that when I took part in the show I proved that women over 40 whoíve had a few knocks in life can still come back and achieve whatever they want (and look good in Lycra!) And now Heather will be doing the same for people with disabilities. Good on her!

Itís just as well she is competing this year as I reckon the competition will be huge next year Ė if this weather continues the entire British population will be champion skaters!
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I hope Heather continues doing well and will inspire and encourage others to move out of their Comfort Zone.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Georgie Girl
Sun King

A rotator cuff is the arm/shoulder joint.

I wonder why she does this stuff.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
Attention.

(Disclaimer to the Heatherlovers, this is NOT an insult or a snarky comment. There is nothing wrong with desiring attention and wanting to be noticed, just wanted to make that clear. )
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
beatlelover45223

Love the dislaimer Rell....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:07 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
- the challenge
- because she was asked
- since it is fun
- to show the world that having a limb does not limit your abilities, just like we have (Olympic) Games and sports for 'disabled'

If she would do it for the attention (no offense Rell) then she would be in many jury's, competitions, shows, girlie magazines, Oprah's etc kind of 'shows', like many others do to show their face and be noticed.

And since she is vegetarian, she will not be one to eat any kind of testicles.

Now this is a very nice article about Heather, thanks for posting Lucy great to read.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jan 08, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
Attention.
Better for her to get attention for the right reasons! Glad to see she seems to be learning that not all publicity is in fact good publicity, whatever the gossip rags may say.

*still giggling over the testicles!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Better for her to get attention for the right reasons!
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. It is a positive kind of attention, which is cool. But still there's that element of "Look at me! Look at what I can do! Look at how I'm suffering to do it! Aren't I brave?" in the way she interviews that makes me think there's definitely an attention-seeking component in her choice to participate in this kind of show. But as I said, it's not a bad thing. Most "celebrities" enjoy attention or they wouldn't do a lot of the things they do.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:57 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Well said, Rell.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:49 AM   #10
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. It is a positive kind of attention, which is cool. But still there's that element of "Look at me! Look at what I can do! Look at how I'm suffering to do it! Aren't I brave?" in the way she interviews that makes me think there's definitely an attention-seeking component in her choice to participate in this kind of show. But as I said, it's not a bad thing. Most "celebrities" enjoy attention or they wouldn't do a lot of the things they do.
Yeah I think that there is some truth in this. Don't get me wrong - I don't need any "way to go heather" treatement just yet - because wow she is really going for it against the odds and showing that she is a fighter and up for a challenge.

BUT I have to say I think some of her behaviour is a bit "check this out"....walking down the street holding her false leg, rolling her pants up to show the false leg whilst skating. Okay okay I know she has to get her leg to rehearsal somehow and perhaps rolling her pants up like that aid her style in some way but hmmmmmm I dunno. I need to the full story before making a call on it really so I acknowledge I am maybe being a little hastey. BUT you know, it sort of reminds me of the day she showed up to court in a wheelchair pre-judgement and then like 5 seconds later once the judgement had been made, she was striding around no worries.

All in all, I think she is doing a good thing doing this and I admire her determined spirit, whatever the motivation.

Furthermore I would like to add that I will continue to post articles that I see on this topic and often YES they will be from tabloids. Of course this doesn't mean that I agree with the tone of the articles. I simply post for interest's sake.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:59 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
.walking down the street holding her false leg, rolling her pants up to show the false leg whilst skating. Okay okay I know she has to get her leg to rehearsal somehow and perhaps rolling her pants up like that aid her style in some way but hmmmmmm I dunno.
I never get bored of watching her legs, no matter which one it is.

Besides, how about we have a look in the Crushes thread or pictures threads where ladies are very open about certain smiling guys/men ...of which no doubt quite some have one or more ... or only ... false teeth...or hair...and love showing them....so...

Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:07 AM   #12
Lucy

I'm not trying to say she should be hiding her leg or anything else (did you check out her cleavage in the official photo?! ha! go heather!) but can't you see that perhaps some people could look at her showing her false leg and think "she's going for the sympathy vote"?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:50 AM   #13
seltaebno9
Apple Scruff

As they say in showbiz circles..

BREAK A LEG !!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:53 AM   #14
FPSHOT
Sun King

Oh I know you mean well...

The picture on the ITV page....I absolutely saw that yes

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:32 AM   #15
beatlebangs1964

The title of this thread made me think of Yoko's "Thin Ice."

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:12 PM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
but can't you see that perhaps some people could look at her showing her false leg and think "she's going for the sympathy vote"?
Oh absolutely yes I can see that. However that one video I believe you posted where you see the rehearsals on ice with her coaches clearly partly explains why she did that during the rehearsal and even had to do that, so that her coaches could also see what she could do and reach with the leg.

Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:21 PM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
However that one video I believe you posted where you see the rehearsals on ice with her coaches clearly partly explains why she did that during the rehearsal and even had to do that, so that her coaches could also see what she could do and reach with the leg.
Actually, I posted it, FP. The man who made Heather's prosthetic leg was in fact there, testing out different designs and basically specially building the leg for her during the rehearsal period. If I understood it correctly, there's no evidence anybody else has tried figure skating on a prosthetic leg before. It's certainly not documented they have. So it's a breakthrough by Heather and much kudos to her for extending the range of options for other amputees. She literally went out on a limb on this one.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:09 AM   #18
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Actually, I posted it, FP.
oops....sorry hib