BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Vote for John Lennon for top music legacy

John needs our votes.It looks like the voting ends sometime today.It says thursday,but not which thursday.I am sure they mean at the end of today.

In Rumour.com
June 22, 2011
Top music legacy: Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Jim Morrison.They influenced generations and their cultural impact was strong.Controversy followed them because it was difficult to succeed in a world of contrasts and bring a new spirit in music. They rose to the top through their own power, managed to change mentalities and revolutionize music. Unfortunately they left us too soon.InRumor challenges you to choose the artist that you think left us with the greatest musical legacy in the past century. If you have other options please share them with us.

Voting is open until Thursday, and there are two ways you can vote:

http://www.inrumor.com/in/people/mus...-jim-morrison/

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Jun 23, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Peregrine, John's music and legacy will and HAS endured. I recall he was the third most searched person on the Internet in 2010. "Imagine" has come out to be one of the greatest songs of the 20th century, if not number 1, in countless music polls. I will vote without hesitation but these polls are pathetic. Right now, MJ is adored because he was an 80s icon for his great beats, his dancing, his awesome videos. He was a true performer. Same as Elvis and my bb Freddie.

But John is so different than all these fellows on the ballot. He was an artist who sang about himself, which in turn was about ourselves in a way no one had done. He had a universal message that will never die. So even though. as someone who
grew up in the 80s and recognizes the gifts of Michael Jackson, John may not come up on top here it's just such a silly thing that they need to even go there. Ugh, and most of the voters will be children of course.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 23, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Peregrine, John's music and legacy will and HAS endured. I recall he was the third most searched person on the Internet in 2010. "Imagine" has come out to be one of the greatest songs of the 20th century, if not number 1, in countless music polls. I will vote without hesitation but these polls are pathetic. Right now, MJ is adored because he was an 80s icon for his great beats, his dancing, his awesome videos. He was a true performer. Same as Elvis and my bb Freddie.
I just voted for John (oh, what a surprise ). MJ has the only "advantage" of having died much later than John, so he's probably more in the minds of young people. But it doesn't mean that he was greater than John. As you say, his legacy will and has endure and his personality was much more interesting than Michael Jackson IMHO. It also depends if they mean greatest performer or musician, which is not quite the same. Anyway, I'm curious about the result

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I just voted for John (oh, what a surprise ). MJ has the only "advantage" of having died much later than John, so he's probably more in the minds of young people. But it doesn't mean that he was greater than John. As you say, his legacy will and has endure and his personality was much more interesting than Michael Jackson IMHO. It also depends if they mean greatest performer or musician, which is not quite the same. Anyway, I'm curious about the result

Snoopy
I think the poll is based on who's music will endure. I think John is the best indication of music enduring of those performers, period. He owns. And then Freddie Mercury and Elvis would certainly come up there. I honestly am shocked by how the public had, in general, turned their back on MJ and ridiculed almost every aspect of his life in the last decade or so of his life. And now he's being heralded from every one. His music, in my opinion, was up with the best in the 80's but in comparison with John he just doesn't have the huge catalog nor, John's amazing personality. Plus, John's music was better in my opinion, by a LONG shot.

It's quite silly this poll. But it is an indication of the public's, or the children's minds right now. They live in the digital world and MJ's Facebook page has many, many million...

MJ probably will win this poll. But I'm all good.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 23, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I honestly am shocked by how the public had, in general, turned their back on MJ and ridiculed almost every aspect of his life in the last decade or so of his life. And now he's being heralded from every one. His music, in my opinion, was up with the best in the 80's but in comparison with John he just doesn't have the huge catalog nor, John's amazing personality. Plus, John's music was better in my opinion, by a LONG shot.

It's quite silly this poll. But it is an indication of the public's, or the children's minds right now. They live in the digital world and MJ's Facebook page has many, many million...
Well, I won't give this poll too much credit as well . I like some of MJ's music and I found it tragic how the press destroyed him, as I found him a nice guy, though he hadn't such an amazing personality as John. I would have loved to see him write a song with John, as I know that he admired him. I'm sure they would have get along as both wanted peace. But you're right, John's music was better, no matter how much million fans MJ has on facebook. I never have and still don't care about the actual so-called mainstream, so... Further, I'm sure that John still has got many, many fans around the world .

Snoopy
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Well, I won't give this poll too much credit as well . I like some of MJ's music and I found it tragic how the press destroyed him, as I found him a nice guy, though he hadn't such an amazing personality as John. I would have loved to see him write a song with John, as I know that he admired him. I'm sure they would have get along as both wanted peace. But you're right, John's music was better, no matter how much million fans MJ has on facebook. I never have and still don't care about the actual so-called mainstream, so... Further, I'm sure that John still has got many, many fans around the world .

Snoopy
Precisely. John HAS millions of fans- and many can't be bothered to vote on every silly little poll. John sort of changed music forever and wrote some of the most gorgeous songs ever in history. I'm not too worried about this little poll. ;)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:42 AM   #7
seltaebno9
Apple Scruff

What a waste of time and effort..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltaebno9 View Post
What a waste of time and effort..
It sadly is. The voters comments suggest to me some people who haven't listened to much music outside of their relative box. I am disappoint.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:32 PM   #9
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
It sadly is. The voters comments suggest to me some people who haven't listened to much music outside of their relative box. I am disappoint.
me too, my vote was like aahh, something in the ocean!!

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:25 AM   #10
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Precisely. John HAS millions of fans- and many can't be bothered to vote on every silly little poll. John sort of changed music forever and wrote some of the most gorgeous songs ever in history. I'm not too worried about this little poll. ;)
Good to know; I didn't dare to write that John has millions of fans

I agree: This poll is just a big disappointment and waste of time...

Snoopy