BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
KEROUAC
Apple Scruff

Default "Susan Boyle Now As Big As The Beatles"

There's an article here claiming "It's Official: Susan Boyle Now As Big As The Beatles"

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/18/...s-the-beatles/

What annoys me about this kind of comparison is that you had to sell a hell of a lot more records back in the sixties to get a number one record not to mention they were also physical records rather than downloads. I remember seeing the figures compared once. Anyone know what the comparative sales were between then and now for a number one album?
KEROUAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:37 AM   #2
hibgal
Sun King

More underwhelming news. Not taking anything away from Susan but, I'd be more impressed if this was Susan's 5th album and she'd written most of the music herself.

You can find some more info on sales classifications on wiki.

Also note the population increase since the 1960s. 1964 World population was estimated to 3.276 billion - 2010 about 6.9 billion, basically double the number of people.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend

Last edited by hibgal : Nov 19, 2010 at 02:42 AM.
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:16 AM   #3
KEROUAC
Apple Scruff

Thanks for that link. Well I suppose a gold record = 1 million sales which is probably unchanged.

From what I can work out Susan Boyle's previous album did 9 million sales worldwide. Compare that to the fact that by 1964 The Beatles had sold approximately 80 million records globally (including singles). Sgt Pepper which was The Beatles most successful LP sold 32 million copies. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1.3 billion units worldwide.
KEROUAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

The day success is measured by the yardstick of "Glee" or Susan Boyle or whatever the latest "bigger than the Beatles" phenomenon may be is the day I start paying attention to comparisons like this.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

What's this boring stuff about people comparing artists to The Beatles?

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:02 PM   #6
hibgal
Sun King

Because The Beatles still are the gold standard of the music biz.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Also the phrase "As big as The Beatles" gives the reader a tangible unit measurement. To say an artist is as big as Creedence Clearwater Revival or the J. Geils Band will only result in the reader wanting to know who Creedence or J. Geils Band was and why is this artist as big as them.

I do get tired of hearing of some new artist being compared in popularity to Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Presley, or The Beatles. But like I said above it adds a tangibility.

When Maureen Cleave reports artist is more popular than Jesus, that's when most people take notice and want to know more about them. Using that perspective against Liam Gallagher's assertion that his band was the new Beatles should help you gain a new insight into a bands true popularity.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #8
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

The USA Today said a while back that Justin Bieber was like a one-man Beatles, too. Both are lies trying to make the artist more popular.

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:38 PM   #9
CassyInTheSky
Apple Scruff

Seriously, does every big new thing have to be "bigger than the Beatles? My uncle used to say he heard that phrase over and over again, and it never happened. (Never will, sorry!)

^^ He needs somebody! Not just anybody!

~They call me on and off, across the universe~

Me in a nutshell.
CassyInTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:59 AM   #10
hibgal
Sun King

Told ya, it's the gold standard, the touchstone, the criterion, benchmark, yardstick, basis for comparison etc. The reference point against which other things can be evaluated. And that, my friends, is why we say Beatles are the greatest. Decades later they still set the bar so high other artists evaluate their success against it!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:48 AM   #11
seltaebno9
Apple Scruff

This year I was 60..sio here's a bit of History..

NOW BIGGER THAN THE BEATLES

Late 60s The Monkees
Early70s The Bay City Rollers
Middle 70s Abba
Late 70s Blondie
Early 80s Duran Duran
Middle 80s Wham
Late 80s Guns n Roses
Early 90s Stone Roses
Middle 90s Eminem
Late 90s Madonna
Early 2000s Susan Boyle

Just the latest in a long line..

seltaeb
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Serena

As big? Hardly. She may have a prodigious status in the UK and perhaps elsewhere but she isn't favored very much here in the US, at least with the youth. The Beatles have completely dominated that audience both then and now.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:43 AM   #13
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassyInTheSky View Post
Seriously, does every big new thing have to be "bigger than the Beatles? My uncle used to say he heard that phrase over and over again, and it never happened. (Never will, sorry!)
Get out of my head! ;) I was going to say the same thing. It's like they've become this bar standard for everything popular these days. Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, now this...when something starts to get big, people automatically jump to the 'bigger than Beatles' landmark.
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Kaye.Lennon
Mr. Moonlight

I doubt she's as well-known as the Beatles. She's popular in the UK, but not as famous in the US. It seems like everything that's big right now is said to be "bigger than the Beates". A month or so ago, it was Glee, so what's next?

♥Kaye
Kaye.Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:58 PM   #15
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Nani Moonlight View Post
Get out of my head! ;) I was going to say the same thing. It's like they've become this bar standard for everything popular these days. Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, now this...when something starts to get big, people automatically jump to the 'bigger than Beatles' landmark.
Get out of MY head! GMTA, eh?

If some singer starts their career out big, you know they're not going to be as big as the Beatles. Remember, the Beatles started out as "just another skiffle group" in Liverpool. Their fame and success grew. It's like running marathons: if you start out slowly, you'll be able to go faster as time goes by, but if you sprint for the first five minutes, you're gonna be exhausted!

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:01 PM   #16
Kaye.Lennon
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_cupcake61842 View Post
If some singer starts their career out big, you know they're not going to be as big as the Beatles. Remember, the Beatles started out as "just another skiffle group" in Liverpool. Their fame and success grew. It's like running marathons: if you start out slowly, you'll be able to go faster as time goes by, but if you sprint for the first five minutes, you're gonna be exhausted!
Completely agree. The Beatles' success grew, they started as a skiffle group, and then performed in Hamburg, etc.... They didn't get discovered on a British talent show.

♥Kaye
Kaye.Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote