BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:48 PM   #1
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Default Discovering songs for the first time

I think one of the advantages of becoming a Beatles fan at such a young age for me was that it took me years to collect their records. Back in the 80's you couldn't download music from the net and the local radio stations at the time never played Beatles music. I find it funny looking back that I essentially became a huge Beatles fan from discovering my fathers copy of the blue album and sgt peppers yet this is only a small fraction of their total output.

It used to take me months to save up for a single beatles album. I remember oogling the albums at the record store trying to figure out what to buy next. Maxwells Silver Hammer? What thats about??? Wild Honey Pie? Maggie Mae? And Your Bird Can Sing? At the time I could only imagine what these songs sounded like and sometimes it took me months to find out! But it was great of course and I wish I could somehow recapture the feeling of the moment.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:30 PM   #2
rico_y_mocoso_patitico
Little Child

Default Re: Discovering songs for the first time

I'll insist with "For no one"...Never the same feeling.
rico_y_mocoso_patitico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

I understand, matt5. I remember the exhilirating feeling of hearing a song for a first time--or even reading the track listing on the way home and imagining what the songs would be like. Oh, that magic feeling . . .

Luckily I find it can be felt again if you don't listen to a particular song for a few days and then listening to the whole album of it. Blows your mind every time.
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:02 AM   #4
mindgames
Sgt. Pepper

[ QUOTE ]
rico_y_mocoso_patitico Posted:
I'll insist with "For no one"...Never the same feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the first time hearing it. Thinking it should have been a single.

Yeah, it took me forever to get all of the albums.

I also had several dreams about what "Revolution #9" sounded like. Nothing like the real thing.
mindgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

There is a strange and deep feeling when you listen to some of their songs for the first time. It happened to me a lot!! Their melodies made me feel something special. And also discovering the voices thorugh time is special
Ana_Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:09 PM   #6
rico_y_mocoso_patitico
Little Child

Abbey Road medley It almost made me cry
rico_y_mocoso_patitico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:59 PM   #7
LovinLennon909
Taxman

[ QUOTE ]
matt5 Posted:
I think one of the advantages of becoming a Beatles fan at such a young age for me was that it took me years to collect their records. Back in the 80's you couldn't download music from the net and the local radio stations at the time never played Beatles music. I find it funny looking back that I essentially became a huge Beatles fan from discovering my fathers copy of the blue album and sgt peppers yet this is only a small fraction of their total output.

It used to take me months to save up for a single beatles album. I remember oogling the albums at the record store trying to figure out what to buy next. Maxwells Silver Hammer? What thats about??? Wild Honey Pie? Maggie Mae? And Your Bird Can Sing? At the time I could only imagine what these songs sounded like and sometimes it took me months to find out! But it was great of course and I wish I could somehow recapture the feeling of the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me to a T! I remember paying for Abbey Road with quarters and dimes, because that was what I had saved up. After I had finally saved up enough change (which is quite hard when you're nine!), I would bring home my new prized possesion, and not leave the CD player for a "long, long, long time."
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:36 PM   #8
jtal909
Sun King

Well, I'm a first generation fan so I turned on big time to them from the beginning.
But as I got older, the Beatles became pop music to all the alternative music happening that had more of an edge and more guitars and I stopped listening after they broke up and followed the first few solo albums and then grew disinterested in those also as they seemed to thin out.

But in the 90's, I rediscovered them and it all seemed timeless and new again.
Almost like for the first time.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:38 PM   #9
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

I haven't listened to A hard day's night for a long long long time. This morning I woke up with that CD in my Cd player, and when I listened to "i should have known better" *sighs* great feeling
Ana_Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 04:07 PM   #10
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I don't exactly remember the first time I've heard a Beatles song, because I was born listening to their music.

But for example I remember when "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" started to be a great song for me. I had never really felt that song until that day that; I saw something through my window that really changed me, and I was listening to that song. So that song was like perfect for that moment, it was like magic!!
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:29 AM   #11
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

I remember hearing "Tomorrow Never Knows" for the first time. Sooo different from anything I'd heard from them. I was mesmerized by that song.
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:25 PM   #12
lizzydarci
Fool On The Hill

Absolutely agree, Matt: I was 14 when I fell in love with the boys (thanks to the Beatles anthology) and my family… didn’t have very much money. At all. So having been exposed to this incredible world of beatles music when the anthology aired on television, I was turned into a beggar, saving ever single PENNY to save up for a beatles’ album. Then I heard about a morning radio program that played beatles music for about two hours every Sunday— problem was that radio station didn’t come in very well on my radio SO I would manipulate my radio every Sunday morning, having stand in JUST the right position, holding the antenna JUST so, in order to catch audible strains of the music. And my heart would leap with every new song… that’s not a mere cliché, my heart would actually feel like it was ready to leap right out of my body! I specifically remember the first time I heard ‘Hey Bulldog’: it was on one of those Sunday mornings when I had to hold my breath in order to keep from loosing the radio signal… I was paralyzed with disbelief at the way it made me fee!

And then, the most wonderful thing happened: an oldies radio station played a weekend of Beatles music: their entire catalogue A-Z. I went through about six cassette tapes to record it all and did not come out of my room for about seventy-two hours— I’ll never forget the feel of that weekend. Soft quiet rain outside my bedroom window, a blanket pulled tight around me while I bobbed up and down to the music, squealing with every new song that graced my ears.

It was magic... I would give anything to go back and relive that all…
lizzydarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

I remember the thrilling feeling of bringing back home my brand new Beatles album from the store and waiting with anticipation for the opening strains of the first song to come on, wondering what new kind of sound I would be hearing. I've not gotten quite that feeling with any other artist.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote