BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1
the family cat
Banned

Default JOE MEEK-Worried by the Beatles

The recent biog of Meek is where you find information about Brian Epstein not in any other publication and only hinted at in the NME in 1963.
In 1960 Meek operated possibly Britain's first Indie label -TRIUMPH-and signed up a Liverpool singer called Michael Cox,mainly to cover an American song called Angela Jones which he thought was very poor.After a few more singles he liquidated it and concentrated on literally making records in his own flat which were then leased.
Between 1961 and 1963 Meek was the King of English Pop who saw the Beatles as a threat to his succesful business of creating chart toppers.In late 1962 he cracked the American No 1 spot with Telstar,which had his name on it as composer but he never made a penny from it as the royalties were frozen pending allegations of copyright theft when he was accused of copying a French composition.
Whatever,Meek's artistes such as John Leyton,Heinz,Mike Berry,Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers,the Tornadoes were all over the charts into 1963 when his success rate began to fall.
In 1962 he was wined and dined more than once by Brian Epstein who was struggling to find a label for the Beatles.Meek was owner of RGM Sound and produced records but Epstein was desperate.He played the Decca audition to Meek who was unimpressed.
Possibly Epstein focused on Meek because he had the same orientation but whether anything took place the book couldn't say.
When Meek heard Love me do,he dismissed it as "poor song,poorly produced" which maybe it was to his ears as he liked to swamp his artistes with echo chambers.Like many of the time he thought English stars should cover American hits or use proffesional writers but not try and write songs!
Finally he succumbed and admitted the Beatles were good after all,though not as good as any of his artistes in his own stable
The Honeycombs gave him his last chart topper in 1964-he signed up some Liverpool acts like the Crying Shames and Freddie Starr & the Midnighters (who he fired for "odd behaviour").He also got a London duo called the Dowlands to cover All my loving at the time it was a track on With The Beatles-this made the Top 40 as well,competing with another version.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em.
Possibly he may have thought he'd cracked Liverpool when the Cryan Shames' version of Please stay became the top selling single in Liverpool and caused Epstein to ring him -this single would be the final Meek production to chart
Meek was more impressed with Gerry & the Pacemakers who used at least a Tin Pan Alley writer.
Meek,who had previously accused Phil Spector of COPYING HIM was heading towards the same condition of insanity,fuelled by his inability to replace the Beatles who were then at the top of the World.
He murdered his landlady a few months after a packing case dumped in the Thames had been discovered containing a chopped up body,for which he was questioned but nothing was proved. After which he shot himself on the Anniversary of Buddy Holly's death.There was a witness to the murder and suicide,who was an assistant
Today he's regarded as a Genius

Last edited by the family cat : Dec 07, 2005 at 04:17 AM.
the family cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Wow, how bizarre! I definitely see similarities between him and Spector.
And when is that trial ever going to start?

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:29 AM   #3
the family cat
Banned

Spector actually rung Meek to congratulate him on his success but Meek blew it by accusing him of being a copyist.Rather ridiculous as Meek's productions weren't known to the masses apart from Telstar and Have I the Right-but even that caused his wrath against the Dave Clark 5,who supposedly copied this for Bits & Pieces.
Meek was taking copious amounts of LSD at this time and alone as well so the allegations he made were silly.I seem to remember Bits & Pieces PRECEEDED Have I the Right.
Those who know more about it say the meetings between Epstein and Meek got as far as talking about percentages but as Epstein pulled out it was likely Meek was asking more as he thought the Decca Audition was terrible
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:40 AM   #4
sanchez
Fool On The Hill

I dont understand the interest in this...I mean..there are lots of people that will grab straws at having any connection with the Beatles....no offense..but I find them boring. Just my opinion
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:58 AM   #5
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez
I dont understand the interest in this...I mean..there are lots of people that will grab straws at having any connection with the Beatles....no offense..but I find them boring. Just my opinion
It's just that some of these people are so strange. They're on the fringe in more ways than one!

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:15 AM   #6
the family cat
Banned

It would only interest anyone around at the time as it was mentioned in Melody Maker in 1963.This book goes into detail of what really happenned.
Old Dec 08, 2005, 03:41 PM   #7
the family cat
Banned

The Spector Trial is to start end of next April and if he's found guilty its the slammer.
This week in a pretrial he's filed a deposition and now seems to have changed his mind from "she shot herself" to "I didn't mean to shoot her"
Meanwhile her family is preparing a civil suit
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:54 AM   #8
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

After George Martin left the employ of EMI to set up AIR Studios, Meek was apparently offered his job - the mind boggles at the possibility of him working with acts like Pink Floyd...
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:36 AM   #9
the family cat
Banned

As this took place in 1967 its a good job it never happenned as one of the conditions was Meek would not be allowed to work indepently.
The "Suitcase Murder" was hotting up and he was questioned as the police concentrated on the twilight World of the homosexual.
A few months later Meek murdered his landlady and then turned the gun on himself.

Meek is considered a genius because Telstar is seen as a dry run for Pink Floyd