BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:08 PM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default The Dark Horse years album reviews - George Harrison.

I had the original cd of George Harrison for some time, now what’s missing is a vinyl version, and I had listened to it a lot before the box set came out, so the album is more well known to me.

The album kicks in with “Love Comes To Everyone”. George assuring us that “love comes to everyone”. Knowing George he could have well meant God’s love, but the lyrics could be read as “you will find someone, love will come your way eventually”, but it’s not up to me to say what the song is about period. Sung over a beatiful melody, not one instruments is heard over the other but they all blend well into each other, including George’s slide parts.

“Not Guilty” in its original form would never have fit this album, but here the angry guitar parts have been removed in favour of a more laid back feeling. I might have a preference for the Beatles version, but I can see how this version reflects the George of 1979.

It’s unfortunate that by naming a song “Here Comes The Moon” naturaly people would compare it to “Here Comes The Sun”. It’s a fantastic song in his own right., full of beatiful guitar parts, from the intro till the end this song is a delight.The way George makes his guitar sound is fantastic.

Some say that “Pure Smokey” was about drugs, while I simply don’t agree.Not that I am naive or something, I knew the Beatles, including George took drugs, but simply because when George says it’s a tribut to Smokey Robinson I believe him.Now if George would write a song about a kind of drugs he would have called it something like “Soft Hearted Hana” and would not be vague about it.
“They relate to Hana on the Island of Maui, Hawaii, where I had some ‘magic mushrooms’ and the words are about that.”. You can imagine that stare when someone has some drugs, the glazing eyes still smiling. Musicaly somewhat of a standout in the way that it it’s more diverse, and not one of the ballads.

“If I am happy then everyone around me is happy”.
George was a bit embarrased by the tune at first, nothing really to be embarrased about.
The song is positive both the lyrics and music are very uplifting, never fails to make me feel better. George delivers another haunted slide solo, which makes you break away from whatever negative mood your in. It was a justified single.

I don’t share George’s love for auto racing with him, but I love this tribute to the entire formula one circus. The whole song absorbs me from the slide guitar that opens the song till the end. While the lyrics refers to someone who became a star in the formula one circus, they also relate to George himself, or other so called stars.

With “Dark Sweet Lady” were back to the ballads and soft mood of the album.
Actually a soft breezy mood, where you feel like you’re in Hawaii at sunset having a cool drink. One of the few pure love songs, but then again something more then that.

The melody of “Your Love is Forever” is spiritualy moving, beautiful instrumental landscape.George’s guitar and Steve Winwood’s synts, which sounds like a mellotron, are the main force. Listen at the end where George does some short but very sweet guitar parts, underlined by the synths.
“Sublime is the summertime is warm and lazy... These are perfect days like Heaven’s about here”. And it is. The lyrics till almost at the end leaves open as wheter George sings about God’s love, till “The guiding light in all your love shines on. The only lover worth it all”.

Continueing with another beautiful melody, with breezy slide guitar parts “Soft Touch” is another song you can dream away to. Another one against a Hawaii setting.

Now who can blame Jeff Lynne for making George sound like ELO, here George did it by himself, well almost by himself and I love it. The fast guitar slide rifs, the what I can only describe as bang bangs drums. With lyrics that make you want to focus on the positive rather then negative, together with the music it can’t fail.

A good thing about the re-isue is the bonus track, a beautiful acoustic of “Here Comes The Moon”.

George Harrison is a very consistent album. It doesn’t rock very hard, neither does it try to, or has the funk and all the different styles of 33 & 1/3, with just a few uptempo songs that jumps out of the laid back mood of the album. But it’s never right, like on the diverse 33 & 1/3,were someone might say, oh I like that song but the cover of “True Love” is not my style, wonder who said that, could be me. On George Harrison however if you like one song you’ll probably like them all. And I love the album, it’s one of those I can play in its entirely.

Now moving to Somewhere In England.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Re: The Dark Horse years album reviews - George Harrison.

Such a review makes you just having to play the album, which I will do straight away.

Great one Legs, you'll have a full reply to this withon a few hours.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:42 PM   #3
IMeMine1969
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via AIM to IMeMine1969

Another great review, Legs!
IMeMine1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 03:49 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

Legs, your great review was in inspiration to have a good listen and a good read.

In general, this album is far more acoustic than the American sounding 33 1/3. Also what some of the musicians described, was the les worried and frantic George. Probably also being back at Friar Park, back in his gardens, gave George more stimulance and more desire to create again his own sound.

Andy Newmark (drummer) recalls that is was just breathtaking to be up there at the studio, which looks very peaceful with nice furniture and a sighting over the Friar Park grounds that he said "this is unbelievable, what a setting?".

Changes in musicians was getting some Englishmen in, like Steve Winwood, who has quite some influence in this album and is very well recognized, Ray Cooper on percussion and Del Newman for the string arrangements, a man who worked with Elton John and Harry Nilsson.

Remarkable is the miss of Tom Scott or Jim Horn, no horns and no sax [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

"Loves Comes To Everyone"

This is a good opening song, the lead guitar being Eric Clapton's. The whole has such a relaxed sound and for an opener of an album makes the expectations at a first listen grow.

The sound of the percussion sometimes reminds me of Xmas songs where you have these sleigh ride sounds.

Steve Winwood introduces himself via a very nice solo on the Moog and also adds backing vocals.

As for the lyrics; Legs, I tend to believe George refers to the love which is within us all. He has referred to that in some interviews. He said something about the love which is in us and which we will manifest when it comes around, but it?s always there within us "something that's never changing" and we are to "go through that door", "knock and it will open wide".
And he even tells the one who think it will not come their way or those who are lost from a bad experience "For you who it always seems blue, It all comes, it never rains But it pours, Still it only takes time . . . 'Til love comes to everyone."

Then when you experience "falling in love" it's time to open that door and peek around and be amazed about what it shows, what's all there, "go do it"? and well, he is right, love can be beautiful.

In the DVD, he says

"it's all love. how much you can get from each other, and that's determined by how much you're giving to each other"

it all starts within ourselves, and then it spreads to those around us, good And bad, but basically that's it, the love that we can generate is equal to the love that we get back

"Not Guilty"

Oh yes, the White Album original version is something special and would have fitted there to give the Indian Acoustic songs a bit of a variation, but that did not happen. Now, George being in a different part of his life, picked one of the old songs which hun around somewhere and turned it into a jazzy pop song.

The 1968 riff is still there, but the soft electric piano and the one acoustic guitar make the 1979 sound, not forgetting the magnificent singing bas of Willie Double U. Have a listen at that bass, it's amazing.

The way George sings this song, makes it sound more like a love song then the lyrics would expect. But then, I believe George 1979, being spiritually formed, had lost interest in making a point of that.

What a relaxed sound.

"Here Comes The Moon"

Yeah the guitar picking can be seen reminiscent to that other one about the relative to the Moon.

What amazes me here are the backing vocals and when I heard them whilst writing this, it reminded me of Linda on RAM. I don't know which song(s) yet, but that will come to me.

I adore guitar sounds and this one is a gift for any guitarist. There are acoustics, slides, different chords and again the funny Harrison ones.

Legs you are right, this is a delight to listen to.

He got attracted to the full moon (fever) after watching whales [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] yeah that is a very inspiring thing to do, that is, if you find them [img]graemlins/wink1.gif[/img]

"Soft-Hearted Hana"

Dear Hana [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] yeah this is such a cheerful song relating to some mushrooms and George seems to dream away to the love for the beautiful Hana, well I can very well see that [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

"I fell in love with my Soft-Hearted Hana, She entered right in through my heart, .......
And now although we're miles apart I still feel her." George reminiscing about Maui

The lyrics are full of Monty-ish humour and even though it may not be a musical highlight, I love it for Hana, the fun lyrics and for the return of the dobro.

Imagine sitting down with pen and paper writing lyrics. now when is the time one would think of 7 (his favourite number) naked native girls combined with the Lone Ranger ?

"Blow Away"

Ever since I have read I Me Mine, I think of this song when I am becoming a bit blue.

The slide guitar solo has crossed my mind so much during such Deep Blue moments and just make the feeling Blow Away, also when I think of the ?little? Duck [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

"Faster"

Surprising still for me is George lasted love for the Formula 1 circus, a man who spent a great part of his time in gardens at Friar Park looking for peace and quiet.

The bullit sound is funny.

Yes Legs, the lyrics can surely be reflected to George, well ? much of it .

Quite some strings on this one.. mmm... not my style, but a very nice song.

"Dark Sweet Lady"

Back to acoustics [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

One for Olivia and what a beautiful one, yes indeed the Hawaii / Hana feeling comes up here too, the nice harp does its work too.

I believe he is thanking his love, for having given him a peaceful home, taken him away from his maybe fast life.

What an amazing acoustic guitar solo !!!!!!!!!!!

"Your Love Is Forever"

This is my favourite of the album, because of the guitars and the lyrics.

The words are beautiful, a brilliant spiritual love song, which can be taken like devotion to The Lord and/or to a loved one on earth.

I know the 'open tuning' way of guitar play and it's difficult in a way. It may be easy when you just do an open say 3 chord song, Barry Gibb does 95% this way, but in this song it's not so easy, as George recalls.

Again such a wonderful slide solo backed by Steve Winwood's synth, as Legs noted.

This is a song for a dark room and let thoughts fill the atmosphere.

"Soft Touch"

Written on the Virgin Islands, hehe I always wonder... who live there...... [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]

This one has a very nice organ sound in it.
Not my favourite of the album, a bit too much Run Of The Mill in it, sorry George. Still wonderful to listen to though, great double slide parts [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

"If You Believe"

The great inspiration !!!!

This song has that. Read the lyrics, anytime life does not please you, this may bring you back to reality. You can make life as negative as your thoughts let you, or turn to a positive side and try to solve whatever it is. There is always a solution... if you believe

A great ending to the original album. As on the previous track, George plays double slide solos.

Yes the bang bang drums, the bass and the returning synthesizer chords do give this song a full sound, but I kinda love it. Especially in the badges wher the full sound turns a bit off.

Yes Legs, this album is a 'just play it' album, from start to end, one of his best, to me.

The added early version of Here Comes The Moon I did not know yet and it's a very nice one, what people tend to call an Unplugged version. For guitar players the perfect intro to the chords used, of which again a few Harrisonic ones.

Give me more of those, I love these early versions.

[size="1"][ Apr 04, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message Edited By: FPSHOT ][/size]
Old Apr 04, 2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Legs
Sun King

FPSHOT you asked me in the topic about 33 & 1/3 about my preferences to the EMI albums, and that George Harrison was an acoustic album.That certanly is true, but I just love the George sound of the Warner albums more, a sound that would return on "Cloud Nine", and even more on "Brainwashed".

It's maybe strange cause when you read my reviews so far, I think I was mostly rather positive about the Warner albums. On George Harrison I really love all the songs, but that's also the problem that most of the songs are laid back, and it's very consistand little variation. But there isn't a George Harrison I dislike. When there is something I don't like I will say so, but there just isn't much I dislike about George's albums.
Old Apr 04, 2004, 01:08 PM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

OK Legs, I think I understand, it was just that when your argument is 'more acoustic' and I compare EMI (Cloud 9) and Warner ("George Harrison") I was a bit puzzled. Or too technical [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

It's good to hear your view about George's work in general [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]
Old Apr 04, 2004, 01:47 PM   #7
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:
OK Legs, I think I understand, it was just that when your argument is 'more acoustic' and I compare EMI (Cloud 9) and Warner ("George Harrison")
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">It's more like Warner (Cloud 9) and Warner ("George Harrison"). It's all EMI now anyway, technically. It's just that when George switched record companies, he introduced a different sound.
Old Apr 04, 2004, 02:01 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Now I understand completely [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:40 PM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

I have ben playing that Heer Comes The Moon demo again, and it really is amazingly beautiful.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:32 PM   #10
Magill
Sun King

My review? I love the whole album!! Not a stinker on it! I've always adored it and feel it's one of his best. It's up there with ATMP &amp; Brainwashed. George Harrison will always remain my favorite. I just oop it down and recommend to any new Harrison fans as a must have.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 02:26 PM   #11
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

[ QUOTE ]
FPSHOT Posted:
I have ben playing that Heer Comes The Moon demo again, and it really is amazingly beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is very beautiful. It was my first favorite demo. The finished version is great too. The music in it is just fantastic.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote