BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:05 PM   #21
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
Word here in Indianapois is that Cee Lo will be singing at the Super Bowl. I'm sending him this suggestion...

"ASSIST!
I need somebody
ASSIST!
Not just anybody
ASSIST!
You know I need someone
ASSI-IH-IH-IH-IH-IH-IHST

When I am old as shit, much older than today
I won't need anybody to assist in any way
But now after today is gone
I'll get publicitee-ee
Because I butchered another song"

Or maybe

"Something in the way, she just lays there
Attracts me like no other lazy person"

...or change the backing vocals of "My Sweet Lord" From "Hare Krishna, Hare Hare to "Allah Akbar, Allah Akbar." That would totally rock.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:38 AM   #22
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Didn't the late Luther Vandross mildly change the lyrics to "My Sweet Lord" while singing a tribute to George and other deceased artists at the 2002 Grammys? I don't recall a firestorm about that? I didn't hear Ce Lo Green's version of "Imagine", but I think the public should let it rest.

Last edited by peanut333 : Jan 09, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:19 AM   #23
wildewoman
Taxman

Oh, my dear, I haven't watched the Grammys in years. The last Grammies I saw featured Ol' Dirty Bastard's rant and the Soy Bomb guy's dance when Dylan performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v

Last edited by wildewoman : Jan 09, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:27 AM   #24
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
Didn't the late Luther Vandross mildly change the lyrics to "My Sweet Lord" while singing a tribute to George and other deceased artists at the 2002 Grammys? I don't recall a firestorm about that? I didn't hear Ce Lo Green's version of "Imagine", but I think the public should let it rest.
If he mildly changed the lyrics from he to she or this to that ,then I don't care.He changed the whole song!This day and age and the intenet the whole world is watching.And this is a Beatle fans forum if we want to discuss will discuss!Since it doesn't seem to be getting out of hand here who cares.Let us discuss.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:08 AM   #25
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

If people want to comment it's up to them, but some stated the guy was being threatened, and that's cruel. He made a mistake, he's still human.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:42 AM   #26
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
If people want to comment it's up to them, but some stated the guy was being threatened, and that's cruel. He made a mistake, he's still human.
Not on this forum,so we'll still discuss.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:09 AM   #27
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

I'm still scratching my head at most of those who opposed the lyric change. First of all, I don't like what he did but it's not a jump up and down and yell situation. NOT solely because he changed the lyrics (Beatles lyrics DO get changed - Sinatra famously for example)... But why this issue isn't at the forefront I do not understand...

Singing "Imagine there's no heaven" and later in the song singing "All religion is true" is beyond ridiculous, shouts to the world that your comprehension of the song and what it means to you is astonishingly shortsided, and that you have very little concern for how your interpretation of the song will be received.

Change the lyrics? Fine.

Have them make sense please. "IT'S EASY IF YOU TRY!"

Last edited by LMW28IF : Jan 09, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
LMW28IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:31 AM   #28
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
I'm still scratching my head at most of those who opposed the lyric change. First of all, I don't like what he did. NOT solely because he changed the lyrics (Beatles lyrics DO get changed - Sinatra famously for example)... But why this issue isn't at the forefront I do. It understand...

Singing "Imagine there's no heaven" and later in the song singing "All religion is true" is beyond ridiculous, shouts to the world that your comprehension of the song and what it means to you is astonishingly shortsided, and that you have very little concern for how your interpretation of the song will be received.

Change the lyrics? Fine.

Have them make sense please. "IT'S EASY IF YOU TRY!"
If Yoko gave her consent fine.If not don't do it.I don't care for people changing Beatle music or any artist work if you change the whole meaning.If it was your work and didn't care that's your business.if it was my work and put my blood ,sweat & tears and artist came along & changed the whole meaning i'd be pretty ticked!
Tom Petty made Michelle Bachman stop using "American Girl" for her theme song running for the rebublican party.She didn't even change the words he's an artist who cares about when & how how his music is played.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:11 AM   #29
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

So Chris,

Are we in agreement here, arguing, or what?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:03 AM   #30
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
So Chris,

Are we in agreement here, arguing, or what?
I'm disagreeing with you.I'm toally against the lyric change.I admit their are some artists who can give a crap about who sings their songs or how they sing it.As long as they get paid.And their are some who care who & how their music is interpetedTom Petty,Springsteen & Jackson Browne for instance).John isn't here to say one way or another.CeeLo shouldn't of taken upon himself to go and change the song.
As far as The Beatle songs being changed,back then I'm pretty sure they didn't have much of a say in who or how their songs were sung.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:11 AM   #31
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

I agree with that... But I think it's missing the fact that his new lyric was asinine relative to what he JUST SUNG 45 seconds earlier (or however long it was.

Admittedly, I have softened my stance slightly in the choice to change the lyric to begin with, due in part to the fact that it has happened far, far more often than we realize. And let's be honest, Cee Lo is not Sinatra.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:28 AM   #32
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
I agree with that... But I think it's missing the fact that his new lyric was asinine relative to what he JUST SUNG 45 seconds earlier (or however long it was.

Admittedly, I have softened my stance slightly in the choice to change the lyric to begin with, due in part to the fact that it has happened far, far more often than we realize. And let's be honest, Cee Lo is not Sinatra.
It happens alot cause most artist don't give a crap.As long as their being paid.I admire the artist who gives up alot of money because they do care.Springsteen turned down millions of dollars from Lee Iaccoa back in the 80's ,by turning down "Born in the USA" to be used in car commerical.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Serena

So he's saying, 'imagine if all religion is true?' as if he's implying that it's currently not true? Why the need to 'imagine?' that's more likely than total world peace.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:34 PM   #34
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG134 View Post
It happens alot cause most artist don't give a crap.As long as their being paid.I admire the artist who gives up alot of money because they do care.Springsteen turned down millions of dollars from Lee Iaccoa back in the 80's ,by turning down "Born in the USA" to be used in car commerical.
You're suggesting lyric changes require some sort of payment? That is simply not true. Springsteen was indeed offered several million dollars in the mid 80's from American Car manufacturer Chrysler. My opinion of him did not change based on that fact.

Say someone who was not alive in 1985, or not old enough to have an opinion, learned YESTERDAY that Springsteen turned down $ long ago. Does their opinion of him change much?

#1 - It shouldn't. Other traits are much more important imo.
#2 - Hundreds and hundreds of artists have turned down $ without you or i knowing it are you ready to change your pinion drastically if you discover a list of names soon? Even people you don't respect much now?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:38 PM   #35
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
So he's saying, 'imagine if all religion is true?' as if he's implying that it's currently not true? Why the need to 'imagine?' that's more likely than total world peace.
All religions today aren't true. Can't be. Far too many contradictions.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:47 PM   #36
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
You're suggesting lyric changes require some sort of payment? That is simply not true. Springsteen was indeed offered several million dollars in the mid 80's from American Car manufacturer Chrysler. My opinion of him did not change based on that fact.

Say someone who was not alive in 1985, or not old enough to have an opinion, learned YESTERDAY that Springsteen turned down $ long ago. Does their opinion of him change much?

#1 - It shouldn't. Other traits are much more important imo.
#2 - Hundreds and hundreds of artists have turned down $ without you or i knowing it are you ready to change your pinion drastically if you discover a list of names soon? Even people you don't respect much now?
We can argue about this all god**m day.you have no problem with changing an artists lyrics.I doSo were just gonna have to agree to disagree!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:14 PM   #37
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Yes we could.

Umm... Never said that, I've posted numerous times his lyrics were asinine.

Are you reading everything?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:33 PM   #38
hibgal
Sun King

To object to a lyrics change because it's stupid or to object to a lyrics change because it's done without the artist's permission are two different things.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:42 PM   #39
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Yes they are different

But is this also not different? Regardless of who sings it?

A change from Brotherhood of man to Brotherhood and Sisterhood of man

Compared to

Imagine there's no heaven - All religion is true

Or Sinatra's changes to Something compared to Cee Lo's Imagine?

Last edited by LMW28IF : Jan 09, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
LMW28IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:01 PM   #40
Serena

Quote:
All religions today aren't true. Can't be. Far too many contradictions.
Right, so apparently Green must already see that religions aren't true. Maybe he should of said something like 'and religion amity too' if he's trying to endorse the concept of religion. And as mentioned, how are you going to keep 'imagine no heaven' and still expect religious truth? He must of ad libed these without much thought.

Either way though, if you are going to take religion seriously, they can't be realistically compatible with each other if every 'rule' is strictly followed. I much prefer the original lyrics, I have them on the back of my car.

Last edited by Serena : Jan 09, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote