BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
constance
Nowhere Man

Default Living in a Material World-Olivia Harrison

As a George fan in particular, I am looking forward to Olivia's book, due out sometime this fall.
http://www.amazon.com/George-Harriso...d=NC4Q8XHO39M3

Excuse me if there is already a thread on this book, I did a search and could not find one but am new here :(

A major Beatles fan and have been reading as many books as possible this past year...probably have read 20 or more in the past 3 months, pretty avid. Just finished the book part of the anthology over the weekend, loved it, except for the size (made it so hard to read, it is heavy and huge) and also the ending, because it is all just so sad...but the individual personalties of the four came out clearly and all four are very funny, especially George. Everything he says is caustic, sarcastic, to the bone, but very, very funny. He saw everything so clearly from the start, before anyone else. And great photos too...just a really compelling read for me. (Ringo too, is very clever and sharp.)
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:12 AM   #2
ShinieShoes
Banned

Excuse me too but you can read before you write :(
ShinieShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:43 AM   #3
larainefan
Little Child

Welcome, Constance! I too am very excited about this book coming out, I can't wait! George has been long overdue for a well-written, intricate account of his life. I am so glad autumn is almost here, and this book (and the film) will finally be released! I also have another 2 George/Beatles books on pre-order from Amazon, so I should have some good reading lined up soon! :)
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

which George books did you preorder?
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
larainefan
Little Child

In addition to Olivia Harrison's book, I have these on pre-order:

Working Class Mystic, a Spiritual Biography of George Harrison, by Gary Tillery

and

The Beatles in Hamburg, the Stories, the Scene, and How it All Began, by Spencer Leigh.
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:21 PM   #6
constance
Nowhere Man

I read George's book, "I, Me, Mine" which was pretty good...although not very long, more about each song and how he wrote them. And about 15-20 Beatles books, or biographies, recently.
I guess there will be a special on HBO to coincide with "Living in the Material World" in early October as well.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
constance
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinieShoes View Post
Excuse me too but you can read before you write :(
What do you mean, did I do something wrong?
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by constance View Post
What do you mean, did I do something wrong?
Absolutely nothing! Pay no mind...

I know that a mention of this book has been made over in the George Solo Forum, but I don't recall a thread ever being started. And a cursory glance over in Crackerbox Palace confirms it. Please don't be deterred from posting more here... and welcome!

Quote:
Just finished the book part of the anthology over the weekend, loved it, except for the size (made it so hard to read, it is heavy and huge)
The size of The Anthology drives me crazy, too! I have to lay it flat on my coffee table and sit on the floor to read it... sometimes I'll prop it up using a pillow. It's crazy-big and completely unwieldy! But a great book to revisit over and over... always find something cool.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Sep 01, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:43 PM   #9
constance
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Absolutely nothing! Pay no mind...

I know that a mention of this book has been made over in the George Solo Forum, but I don't recall a thread ever being started. And a cursory glance over in Crackerbox Palace confirms it. Please don't be deterred from posting more here... and welcome!

Thanks

The size of The Anthology drives me crazy, too! I have to lay it flat on my coffee table and sit on the floor to read it... sometimes I'll prop it up using a pillow. It's crazy-big and completely unwieldy! But a great book to revisit over and over... always find something cool.
I was worn out from that book :)
But I loved it
I just hate how things ended so badly between them all...made me kind of frustrated with John, in a way...oh well
I just picked up one of Derek Taylor's books at the library today, "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" (great title) and am about to start that one. Read on.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
constance
Nowhere Man

By the way, Derek Taylor's "It was Twenty Years Ago Today"- not really a Beatles book...I just had it from the library this weekend and was disappointed. It is mostly about the 60's, the drugs, the clothes, etc...some quotes from Beatles mixed in and some parts about making "Sgt. Peppers"...but not a Beatles book.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:32 PM   #11
BeatlesFan4Ever96
Fool On The Hill

I'm also very excited about Olivia's new book!I might preorder it or I might just wait until it comes out.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:08 AM   #12
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
By the way, Derek Taylor's "It was Twenty Years Ago Today"- not really a Beatles book...I just had it from the library this weekend and was disappointed. It is mostly about the 60's, the drugs, the clothes, etc...some quotes from Beatles mixed in and some parts about making "Sgt. Peppers"...but not a Beatles book.
I was given that book when it first came out along with the movie of the same name and I loved it. It's about the late 60s more but George and Paul were both in the movie and interviewed for the book. (I love how Paul is asked does he still believe All You need is Love, and he says, "I need to know where my next meal is coming from.")

I also loved the part in the film of the protesters putting flowers in the military rifles while it played Fixing a Hole.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:38 AM   #13
constance
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
I was given that book when it first came out along with the movie of the same name and I loved it. It's about the late 60s more but George and Paul were both in the movie and interviewed for the book. (I love how Paul is asked does he still believe All You need is Love, and he says, "I need to know where my next meal is coming from.")

I also loved the part in the film of the protesters putting flowers in the military rifles while it played Fixing a Hole.
Oh I did like the book...I just thought it was a "Beatles" book and it really isn't, although they are certainly a part of it. I would have liked to see the film, I wonder if it is still around.

Am just finishing "Here Comes the Sun-Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison"...a well-written book dealing with George's deepening interest in finding God, as well as a mini-biography of George's life, pre and post Beatle days. It is a good book, just makes me sad for George, he was pretty tortured from his days as one of the "Fab Four" and had a really hard time looking back with pleasure on those days. Thankful that he found peace with Olivia, Dhani and his quieter life in the later years.