BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 21, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default 'You're just a ghoul, Yoko'

Well Yoko, you have my support anyway.

As she exhibits the bloodstained bag John Lennon's clothes were stored in after his murder, why the ex-Beatle's fans are saying 'You're just a ghoul, Yoko'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...houl-Yoko.html

Yoko Ono rises early, often at dawn, and pads through the enormous apartment on the sixth floor of the Dakota Building that she used to share with John Lennon. She heads down the white-painted corridors, which are hung with Magrittes and Warhols, and past the white piano on which he played Imagine, before one of six full-time staff brings her a coffee.
Once a week, accompanied by a dozen former New York policemen, she will go for a brisk five-mile walk. This habit has helped her to stay enviably trim and healthy. She always wears a navy tracksuit, unzipped to show 21/2in of cleavage - though she recently celebrated her 76th birthday, she still likes to have an effect on men.
Most mornings, though, she will simply sit at her desk beneath a huge window that overlooks Central Park, drink in the view and, she says, meditate about peace and love.

Sometimes she shares the fruits of these sessions on Twitter or MySpace. 'Smile to the future and it will smile back to us,' she wrote this week. 'Listen to your heartbeat and remember: War Is Over - If You Want It.'
The world may have changed since her 1969 Bed-In, but Yoko Ono is still a great one for Flower Power pronouncements.
Perhaps it was during this quiet morning time that the idea came to her of exhibiting the blood-stained brown paper bag in which Lennon's clothes were returned to her by the City Examiner after he was murdered in 1980.
For 17, anyone can gawp at it, the clothes it contained and Lennon's glasses at New York's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, alongside the Beatle's old T-shirts and correspondence, in an exhibition titled John Lennon: The NYC Years.

Last week, Ono told the Press conference held to launch the exhibition: 'It was hard to include and I thought I might be criticised.' She added that she felt it was 'important for people to understand what violence is about'.
Ono has campaigned against gun violence for years, once saying: 'John, who was the king of the world and had everything any man could ever want, came back to me in a brown paper bag in the end. I want to show how many people have gone through similar tragedies.'
But not everyone is convinced that she has resorted to these shock tactics simply because she wishes to make a point.
'I believe her when she says she's still coming to terms with Lennon's death,' says rock writer David Hepworth. 'But there's grief and then there's ghoulish exhibitionism.
She defends the inclusion of the clothes in the exhibition on the grounds it's important that people see the effects of gun violence - that's balderdash. We know what gun violence does without having to see the 30-year-old evidence.
'Yoko Ono is a conceptual artist and, like all her breed, is addicted to attention. It's important for her to get attention for anything she does in her own right - and so she reaches for the one thing guaranteed to get her media attention.'

Lennon's long-time friend Bill Harry agrees, and feels upset for the Beatle's surviving family, to whom he is close.
'When I heard about this, I thought: "Oh no! She's at it again!" ' says Mr Harry, who was at art college with Lennon and ran Merseybeat magazine, which had a close relationship with The Beatles.
'The world thinks John Lennon belongs to them, but Yoko thinks he belongs to her.
'She believes she owns the man and everything about him. She dictates how everything Lennon should be done, and no one can do a thing about it.
'The person in this position over Lennon's legacy should protect their memory and reputation, not bring it into disrepute.
'Years ago, she sold replicas of the bloodstained glasses and shirt he was wearing when he was shot - the shirt for 16,000 and the glasses for 11,000. It was exploitation almost beyond belief.'
Mr Harry is in touch with Lennon's cousins and believes Ono has treated them 'awfully'.
'The ones she can manipulate she does and the others, well, they get nothing while she makes millions every year. They won't speak about it because they are too scared of her,' he said.
And what about Julian Lennon, the star's son by his first wife, Cynthia? Did Yoko wonder how he might feel about this exhibition?
'Do you think she considers Julian's feelings at all?' said Mr Harry. 'It was May Pang, John's onetime lover, who tried to help him to have a relationship with Julian. Yoko has never been kind to him.'
It must be painful for his family when Ono chooses to thrust the bloody reality of Lennon's death into the public domain - again.
She never tires of reminding us of the former Beatle, but also seems to delight in pushing the boundaries so far that she outrages or appals his many fans.
In 1981, the year after he died, she released the album Season Of Glass, featuring a picture of his bloodstained glasses on the cover.
Later that year, she contemplated releasing one of her singles, starting with the sound of a gunshot - but changed her mind. Ono, whose most famous artwork is a film of bare bottoms, loves to shock.
After all these years, and despite a 400million fortune, she still seems intent on attempting to gain public approval and attention for herself, and on exploiting Lennon's legacy.
Take the terrible 2005 musical, Lennon, which was backed by Ono and ran briefly on Broadway. The Beatles were barely mentioned and none of their music was played - presumably because she could not get permission from Sir Paul McCartney and Apple Records. Instead, it was very much the story of John and Yoko Ono's romance.
Some of her interventions show a talent for rewriting history that is breathtakingly brass-necked. In 2003, she consented to the release of the DVD Lennon Legend: The Very Best Of John Lennon. Yoko edited herself into the video for the classic song #9 Dream.
But, in fact, the backing vocals on the hit were sung by Lennon's then girlfriend, May Pang (he and Yoko had a 18-month break before they were reconciled and their son Sean was born). Ms Pang found herself airbrushed from history.
There was also a brouhaha over Sir Paul McCartney's attempt to get full credit for The Beatles songs he wrote. Ono resisted and, in the end, he reversed the traditional order so they read 'McCartney-Lennon' - she was not amused.
But then, perhaps, the argument comes down to money as well as to creative recognition. For Yoko, the daughter of a Japanese banker, is good at making money and adept at using lawyers.
She has authorised Lennon's likeness on everything from coffee cups to sunscreen. There is even a watch featuring a picture of his buttocks.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Lucy

continued....

And she has broken a Beatles taboo by allowing his songs to be used commercially - most famously, when she gave permission for Nike to use The Beatles song Revolution to sell trainers.

Sir Paul McCartney and the remaining Beatles sued Nike for $10 million.
An out-of-court settlement was finally reached that was so complex that Ono's spokesman said: 'Attorneys on both sides of the Atlantic have probably put their children through college on this.'
Nike stopped using the song. Ono immediately sold them the rights to use Lennon's solo hit, Instant Karma, instead.
Last year, she sold the use of Lennon's ballad Real Love to the down-market chain store JCPenney as part of their Christmas advertising campaign. Ono again sold the Lennon brand last year, when she consented to a new Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Imagine Whirled Peace, with peace signs made of fudge.
Lennon's signature was on the tub. Wouldn't he have shuddered at the indignity?
Intriguingly, there seems to have been an increase in Ono's public profile since she split from Sam Havadtoy, her bisexual antique dealer boyfriend, in 2003.
They were an item within months of Lennon's murder and some of the Beatle's associates still purse their lips in disapproval over how quickly his widow moved on.
During the Sam years, she barely left New York. But recently she has trotted through 80 cities, staying at her favoured suite at the Mandarin Oriental when she is in London.
There has been the release of a boxed set of CDs of her singing, numerous shows at galleries in Europe and the unveiling of the Imagine Peace tower in Reykjavik.
This month, she can be heard singing on the dance record I'm Not Getting Enough.
At the Dakota Building, where Ono has three apartments, one of the many bedrooms is filled with Lennon's clothes on a revolving rail. She has talked more than once about 'seeing' him and talking to him.
If Lennon really does haunt that Gothic building, then a lot of his old friends wish he would have a word with Yoko - about the way she is choosing to remember him.
As Bill Harry says: 'She wants her moment, and she wants to be at the centre of the picture. But the world just wants to remember and love John Lennon.'
Old May 21, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Although I agree with much of the article about some of Yoko's actions being questionable and wrong, I do support the display in NYC.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.

Last edited by mluque125 : May 21, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

I like how this is written as if John WASN'T a total media whore! LOLZ
take me to that place
where I can find my brave face
PaulisMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 06:55 AM   #5
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post
EXACTLY! hahahaaaaa!
Old May 26, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
DevonAokiFan
Apple Scruff

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it was Yoko's bizarre avant-garde exhibitions which drew John's attention to Yoko in the first place.

Lennon encourged, and even promoted, Yoko's absurd ideas of abstract art.

I'm not justifying this exibition by any means... I too think its unbelievably ghoulish. But is anybody really surprised?

I reckon everyone would be surprised if Yoko ever decided to display what is considered to be legitimate art.

easy... Justin

Last edited by DevonAokiFan : May 26, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
DevonAokiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Yoko is an individual and does what SHE wants. Respect!!!
Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:28 AM   #9
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

Oh, the things I could say about Yoko...

So, so strange...thinking she owns our beloved John. Read "The Private John Lennon" by John's sister Julia Baird to find out how Yoko treated/treats his family.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaGirl2891 View Post
Oh, the things I could say about Yoko...

So, so strange...thinking she owns our beloved John. Read "The Private John Lennon" by John's sister Julia Baird to find out how Yoko treated/treats his family.
Umm what about the fact that John handed over all control to Yoko of financial things long before he passed away? It is like he in part did give her ownership. AND she is his widow. If I was to die, I would believe that my husband owned me. He would remain my living representative. When you marry or share your life with someone, it is like you give yourself to them. Why is that "so so strange" for you to grasp? Whether you as a fan like what she does with that is your own business.

And secondly, Julia Baird has an axe to grind with a number of people....if it isn't Yoko she is slagging off, it's Mimi. Don't get me wrong - I sympathize with anyone that has lost their mother the way she did and then her half brother....but really, I wouldn't go taking everything she says as true and precise fact. She feels hard done by and that results in mud chucking.

I am a Yoko supporter but I am not totally blind to all of her sometimes bizarre behaviour. The stuff which many people might call her "exploitation" of John isn't even that I am talking about - my biggest problem has always been the way that Julian was treated. HOWEVER Julian himself just recently spoke out about it and said that all was well in that department.....actually isn't it in that thread headed "Lucy" that he and Yoko had dinner not so long ago? If he is cool with it, so am I!
Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
So, so strange...thinking she owns our beloved John.
I know, it's insane! She was only his wife; we're a bunch of nameless faces, half of whom were born after John died!

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I know, it's insane! She was only his wife; we're a bunch of nameless faces, half of whom were born after John died!
hahaa!
Old Jun 08, 2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I do get the feeling often that Yoko has made a career
of widowhood, and likes to remind people that she
is still around.

I am, however, grateful that she made John's drawings
and lithographs available thru galleries and exhibits, which
Chris666B and I have gotten to see a few times. Chris
almost bought one, in fact, but waited too long.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:40 PM   #14
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

RR, I know you're being sarcastic, and there's no need to be.

She's an attention seeker. That's all there is. Yeah, you're here, we know, but we don't need you doing something all the time so that everyone KNOWS your John's widow. I just don't care for her all that much. I could probably carry on a conversation with her, but her "work" just comes off as weird to me.

Last edited by MaccaGirl2891 : Jun 08, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 08:33 PM   #15
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Devon makes good points above. I don't think Yoko is a ghoul at all. I think she is trying to bring home the point about guns, violence and the devastation they can leave.

While this may not be my cuppa, to be fair about it, her exhibit is sending out a very clear message. Are you listening, world?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 10:49 PM   #16
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
She's an attention seeker. That's all there is. Yeah, you're here, we know, but we don't need you doing something all the time so that everyone KNOWS your John's widow. I just don't care for her all that much. I could probably carry on a conversation with her, but her "work" just comes off as weird to me.
I agree with most of that and I'm not a Yoko fan by any means. But isn't it a little ridiculous to say that he belongs to us, people who never knew him personally, and not the woman he spent the last 14 years of his life with? I'd love for Yoko to cool down, but I wouldn't want her to drift into isolation and not release stuff like the Anthology set either. So I'm willing to accept the lame John Lennon sunglasses that I'm never going to buy anyway.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:46 PM   #17
John Cee
Day Tripper

I have to say my opinion of Yoko has never been very high... as an artist or as a person.. however, it doesn't matter... she was everything to John, so likely he wouldn't be offended by any of this stuff... maybe he wouldn't have even minded an actor pretending to be him (reportedly with Yoko's support) telling us all to support the "One Laptop Per Child" campaign... although to me it all seems in extremely poor taste

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:34 AM   #18
Lucy

yeah look, don't get me wrong I agree that some of the stuff over the years has maybe been in bad taste. I think that laptop thing SUCKED even though it was for a good cause.
BUT I don't like this "who does she think she is?" attitude. I do not agree that she pushes it down the throats of everyone that she is John's widow. But you know what? So what if she did? And so what if she wants to talk about him? We should be grateful that she is helping to keep his memory alive and that she is prepared to share personal stuff with us.

And what artists aren't attention seekers? That's the name of the game.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:00 AM   #19
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

She's just not my cup of tea.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:13 PM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Does this mean you won't be taking your English tea with Yoko, MaccaGirl2891?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote