BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:34 AM   #1
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Unhappy When Funny Hurts

Okay..we all know that it is in human nature to laugh at somethings that hurt other people...for example...when people fall and hurt themselves we often laugh. Many of these indiscretions are forgiven...however some are not.

I thought we could share stories of when laughter is mixed with tears.

Mine to start off:

yesterday after I excused myself from the dinner table, because I just wasn't in the mood to hear the full story of Sam McGee for the umpteenth time, I proceeded to clear, clean and load my dishes into the dishwasher. I went out to the patio for my after dinner smoke...leaving the door open to still be 'a part' of the family dinner. As one family member also left the table, dropping his dish in the sink and running a tad amount of water on it...and approached me, I asked " Have we paid the elves today?"
This question being quite odd and our of context, caused a 'what?' response. I repeated the question, and after getting a quizzical look, replied, "Have we paid the elves, E-L-V-E-S, elves today?" and got a "what elves?" answer. With a grin on my face, hoping to project a humorous aura, I responded, "The elves that load the dishes in the dishwasher, have we paid them?"
Well of course it made him roll his eyes at me in disgust and 'anger'...obviously he was hurt at my heartless behavior....yet it caused the only other family member to almost bust a gut holding back the laughter.
So here in my attempt to be funny...I hurt two people I love dearly

Anyone else care to share?
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

Well I get teased in regards to my name quite often. It's mainly perverted men young and old that tease me. They often ask me if I really moan considering it spells imoan backwords. However my father use to tease me in regards to my name spelt backwords in a different sort of way. As a child I suffered from a lot of headachs, so he'd tease me by saying my name backwords fit me. It can get on my nerves. I know people are just trying to be funny, but after the 100000000000 time of hearing it, I want to pull someone's hair out.

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Oct 10, 2005 at 11:32 AM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Hari's Chick

I love the elves story~ that is extremely funny!

Here is another hysterical/mean story... yesterday my friend showed me her cellphone and when it rings a pic shows who is calling her. When her ex husband calls (he's also my friend) his butt shows up!!! OMG, I almost split my sides, too... sooo funny. Maybe I should not have laughed cuz he's my friend still but I could not help it, it was too funny!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
twovirgins
Sun King

dont you hate "bumping or hitting" your funny bone ? why do they call it funny ?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:05 PM   #5
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twovirgins
dont you hate "bumping or hitting" your funny bone ? why do they call it funny ?
Maybe it's because of where it's located? Then again some people laugh whenever they hit it and say ouch at the same time.

I sometimes do that.

Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:07 PM   #6
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick
I love the elves story~ that is extremely funny!

Here is another hysterical/mean story... yesterday my friend showed me her cellphone and when it rings a pic shows who is calling her. When her ex husband calls (he's also my friend) his butt shows up!!! OMG, I almost split my sides, too... sooo funny. Maybe I should not have laughed cuz he's my friend still but I could not help it, it was too funny!!!!
My husband use to have the same thing on his phone.When his ex-wife called a horses rear used to show up on the screen.It was funny cause his ex is a horses ass.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:14 PM   #7
flowergirl
Nowhere Man

My fanny hurts now and again too.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl
LOL!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
flowergirl
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome
LOL!
What?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:18 PM   #10
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl
Well stop sitting on a pincushion then.

JK!

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Oct 10, 2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:21 PM   #11
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Love this !! and Naomi...I never even saw that...about your name...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:28 PM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Ok, this guy "Fred" who I barely know and who had recently royally screwed me over on a business arrangement sent a photo of his new baby via e-mail to a large group of people. I forwarded it along to my friend who also had been involved in the business arrangement and who wasn't feeling too kindly towards this guy either, along with a snotty comment something like "Cute baby, but who would sleep with Fred? Ew!" I made sure that I didn't "reply all" or have any CC's or BCC's on the mail.

Next day I get another e-mail from Fred saying "I think you meant to send this to Jane, not me". I immediately felt HORRIBLE and thought "Oh S***!!! Did I mess something up on the addressing? Luckily, I hadn't yet deleted it from my sent file, so I went back and looked at it...nope, I'd only sent it to my friend, there were no CC's and no BCC's and I CERTAINLY hadn't sent it to Fred. So then I didn't feel so bad - if he put some stealth e-mail tracker thing on his original e-mail so that he sneakily monitored my forward of it, he deserves what he got.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:28 PM   #13
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky
Love this !! and Naomi...I never even saw that...about your name...
Well you see it now. That is an easy way to rememebr how to spell it at least. Just spell i moan backwords and put the words together, then you have my name

Another name that spells out something backwords that people don't tend to joke about is the name Dennis. If you spell it backwords you get sinned and that also happens to be my fathers name. Go figure.

Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:30 PM   #14
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiMcCartney
Well stop sitting on a pincushion then.

JK!
I don't think she means her bottom, fanny means something else in Britain
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:34 PM   #15
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Oh man Rell...that is funny/hurtful....I am glad I don't know enough about computers....imagine the stuff that could be out there....ouch
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:37 PM   #16
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I don't think she means her bottom, fanny means something else in Britain
Oh, I didn't know.

Old Oct 10, 2005, 03:27 PM   #17
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiMcCartney
Oh, I didn't know.
For those who need explanation..."fanny" means "a woman's private parts" in Britain...

I remember having a conversation on IM with two friends, one from Liverpool and one from Denver, and my Denver friend said something about going to get a "new fanny pack" (she prefers them to purses), and my British friend was absolutely speechless...and then horribly embarrassed! Neither of them realized there was a gap in translation -- I had to tell them both!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 04:06 PM   #18
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
For those who need explanation..."fanny" means "a woman's private parts" in Britain...

I remember having a conversation on IM with two friends, one from Liverpool and one from Denver, and my Denver friend said something about going to get a "new fanny pack" (she prefers them to purses), and my British friend was absolutely speechless...and then horribly embarrassed! Neither of them realized there was a gap in translation -- I had to tell them both!
LOL!!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 07:01 PM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Fanny means buttocks in America.

As for when funny hurts, I love Drew Carey and think he is truly a panic. When I watch his show, I laugh until it hurts!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 06:30 AM   #20
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

I could always tell you about the time an american hippy waved his privates in my face, i laughed and he was offended, so funny for me, hurt for him but as its an over 18 story maybe I won't.
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote