BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > Rock Band

Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:55 AM   #1
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Default The Beatles Rock Band Reviews

Now that it seems a number of major video game websites and newspapers have had the opportunity to review this game I figured now is a good time to start this thread up.

The following is a number of links to said types of sites for the purpose of reading reviews on how well our favorite lads from Liverpool are fairing in the hearts and minds of gamers.

Much of what you will find in each is link is the same: That the game is the new standard for how music games should be made AND that this game is all about the greatest band ever and is worthy to carry their name into the music game world!

IGN.com - Score: 9.0 out of 10
"For those who have a love or even just a fondness for the Fab Four, Harmonix has created a fantastic tribute."

mirror.co.uk - Score: 5 Stars out of 5
"The Beatles: Rock Band feels like a fully-fledged title rather than a mere expansion on established themes. It’s visually a stunning compliment to the band, while the introduction of vocal harmonies really takes things up a notch. A real achievement for maker’s Harmonix, this is sure to sweep the world away in a whole new hurricane of Beatlemania."

CNN International - Score: Not rated by score
"'Beatles: Rock Band' fun for jamming in groups"

collider.com - Score: Not rated by score
"This game is a must-own title that is a must for fans of The Beatles, “Rock Band”, and all music-lovers."

gamedaily.com - Score: 9 out of 10
"This game delivers one of the most phenomenal music experiences, outside of hopping into a time machine and watching (The Beatles) perform live, we're likely to see during this phase of our digital age."

teamxbox.com - Score: 9.3 out of 10
"Harmonix did a great job in crafting a fitting tribute to the Beatles, clearly one of the most significant bands in rock history—but, perhaps more importantly, dramatically raised the bar in the music-game genre."

CraveOnline.com - Score: 9.5 out of 10
"There is no question about it, The Beatles: Rock Band is the end-all-be-all musician spotlight video game to date."

kotaku.com - Score: Not rated by score
"Ultimately, The Beatles: Rock Band is an interesting experiment, one that, while flawed, eventually delivers a new and rewarding experience for music and game fans alike."

washingtontimes.com - Score: Not rated by score
"A defining moment for the musical video-game genre arrives Wednesday as faux musicians can become the Fab Four in this incredible tribute to the legendary group."

gamespy.com - Score: 4.5 Stars out of 5 Stars
"Somehow, Harmonix found a way to make the greatest band of all time even better."

joystiq.com - Score: Not rated by score
"This is a gorgeous labor of love that will almost certainly change the level of polish people demand from their music games, and one that -- in perhaps the most telling compliment I can offer -- completely lives up to its inspiration."
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Ah thanks Jonny! I'm happy to see all of the reviews have been pretty positive so far.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

As a Rock Band aficionado, I was a little worried about the difficulty being too easy. I play Expert guitar and bass on the Rock Band games and while I don't play for the challenge, a group like Rush has provided a ton of great songs that are challenging to play but not nearly impossible like the Outlaws' song "Green Grass and High Tides", which gives me fits but I am capable of beating it 50% of the time.

To quell my fears I went to YouTube and found a few of the TB:RB songs posted w/ their note charts to practice too and get a feel of the difficulty. I was happy to see that while I should have no trouble whatsoever in the early years, some of the tracks will give me a challenge as I get further in the game. As an expert player, "The End" looks especially difficult and ultimately I'm glad it was included on disc rather than an unreleased track that I could have probably beaten w/ ease.

I have not read one bad review for the game from folks who have actually played it and the game continues to be rated at or above a 9.0 out of 10 (or the equivalent thereof.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
62hofner

I played the Beatle Rockband at a friend's house a few days ago...

I played the "medium" difficulty on guitar and drums. It's not at all like playing a real instrument. I found myself wanting to perform natural, instinctive musical actions (like hitting a crash cymbal to my upper right), but it's nothing like it at all. It will require one who already plays guitar, bass, and drums, etc. to learn a new skill set.

I sang on "expert" level and nailed at least a 95% score on all the songs I sang along to.

The game is going to be a lot of fun, regardless of any dissimilarities to the experience of playing real musical instruments. But it will be particularly fun with others playing along and not by oneself.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Played the game last night with my cousin. We got through a few levels before I had to pass out, I think up to Yellow Submarine.

The entire thing is well designed, the graphics are great, the scenes before each section are really nice, etc.

I'm pretty new to the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing. But because I play bass and guitar, and because I know these songs so frigging well, my main problem is that I'm always wanting to play more notes or move my hand to different positions. Like if you set the level to easy or medium on the bass, you only have to hit every fourth note or every other note. And sometimes those notes aren't even on the beat where you would expect a note, they're just random notes picked out. It just doesn't make sense to somebody who's so used to playing a real bass. And I think it's even worse for guitar - substituting an entire guitar for 5 buttons is really tough. You can adjust eventually, but maybe one day they'll work up a true scenario where you have to play the actual notes in the song.

It's also very hard to watch the actual game while you're playing. I was dying to check out the graphics of them on stage or in the studio, but you can't take your eyes off the notes flying by. Next time, I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy the show a little more.

All in all, it's a great experience, and I think it will bring a lot of new and young fans into the fold. Once they start listening to the quality of the music, they'll be hooked.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:09 AM   #6
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Played the game last night with my cousin. We got through a few levels before I had to pass out, I think up to Yellow Submarine.

The entire thing is well designed, the graphics are great, the scenes before each section are really nice, etc.

I'm pretty new to the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing. But because I play bass and guitar, and because I know these songs so frigging well, my main problem is that I'm always wanting to play more notes or move my hand to different positions. Like if you set the level to easy or medium on the bass, you only have to hit every fourth note or every other note. And sometimes those notes aren't even on the beat where you would expect a note, they're just random notes picked out. It just doesn't make sense to somebody who's so used to playing a real bass. And I think it's even worse for guitar - substituting an entire guitar for 5 buttons is really tough. You can adjust eventually, but maybe one day they'll work up a true scenario where you have to play the actual notes in the song.

It's also very hard to watch the actual game while you're playing. I was dying to check out the graphics of them on stage or in the studio, but you can't take your eyes off the notes flying by. Next time, I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy the show a little more.

All in all, it's a great experience, and I think it will bring a lot of new and young fans into the fold. Once they start listening to the quality of the music, they'll be hooked.
I agree with all you've said, Jerry...... and I, too, think I may end up doing a lot of just sitting back and watching the "performances"!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:38 PM   #7
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

I have only played rockband one time while Guitar Hero I played many of times.
When I do get my hands on the beatles rockband, I hope to play it a lot.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Serena

I was afraid this game would be too easy as well, but it has it's difficulties. But overall, I would say it is very easy. Strangely, I use these games to help me with my piano playing for enhancement in flexibility and chord progression with the tempo.

I normally play the game right handed on expert, but I have been training myself to play left-handed to stretch out both hands. Usually I can hit nearly 100% of the notes on expert lefty with both bass and guitar. But the graphics and additional video footage are great, it's the best Rock Band game yet!>

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Got through all the songs last night. The later music has better bass lines, so I was enjoying it all very much.

For bass, I would say the only way to play the game would be on the expert level. It's the closest thing to the real notes. At least you're hitting the strum thing and moving your fingers at the same time as the real bass notes. Otherwise, you run into the issues I mentioned above.

I can see a lot of people beginning to appreciate Paul's bass playing a lot more now. I mean, all of us here don't need convincing. But again and again, the bass is just superb, the song would be nearly empty without him running all over the place.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Esmirelda
Sun King

My son and I have been playing it in 'Story Mode'. We just got passed Shea. We like to look at the photos that we 'earn'; and so far we got a really cool prize too.
Lots of fun.

PS. I don't do the guitar/bass parts because I play a real guitar/bass, and it messes up our score.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
I normally play the game right handed on expert, but I have been training myself to play left-handed to stretch out both hands. Usually I can hit nearly 100% of the notes on expert lefty with both bass and guitar.
Just wanted to say that's pretty amazing to me. I wouldn't be able to handle anything left-handed.

Last edited by Jerry : Sep 11, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:47 AM   #12
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Anyone else having trouble singing Ringo songs? My voice can't go that low

Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:57 PM   #13
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Ringo songs are like my specialty! I find John and Paul's parts difficult at times because of how high they get.

I've beaten every song on guitar at least 3 times, getting five stars on all of them, gold stars on some. "Birthday" and "I Me Mine" were my Achilles Heels. Took two trys on "I Me Mine" to get five stars and countless trys over three days to do the same on "Birthday." Actually just got "Birthday" licked an hour ago. Man oh man this game is fun! I'm ready to start it over on bass! Should be fun w/ the Hofner in hand!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Serena

Quote:
Just wanted to say that's pretty amazing to me. I wouldn't be able to handle anything left-handed.
I guess I'm considered ambidextrous, I write left-handed, but do many other this right-handed. It is actually a good mental strategy to do more things with your non-dominant hand.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:10 PM   #15
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Ah I'm good with Paul and John I guess because I'm a girl and can do the high parts. But I just can't go as low as Ringo goes. Good Morning Good Morning drum part on expert is so hard! Still trying to pass it. I can only do it on Hard. And I agree Jonny, this game is SO much fun.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

A tiny part of me wants this game and its growing with all your reviews.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:13 PM   #18
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
Ah I'm good with Paul and John I guess because I'm a girl and can do the high parts. But I just can't go as low as Ringo goes. Good Morning Good Morning drum part on expert is so hard! Still trying to pass it. I can only do it on Hard. And I agree Jonny, this game is SO much fun.
You don't have to match Ringo's voice. If you take your voice up an octave, it should still count.

Yeah I guess I have never really noticed how distinctive the bass playing is on some of these songs. The application of the bass on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" releases drops resonance, creating a pool of hypnosis.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
The application of the bass on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" releases drops resonance, creating a pool of hypnosis.
I don't understand a word of this sentence, but it sounds cool anyway.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:15 PM   #20
Serena

Quote:
I don't understand a word of this sentence, but it sounds cool anyway.
Sorry, that's just what was swirling in my head while listening. The base riffs are in a world of their own. It's not just one consistent bass line, it's a mural of modulation and bewilderment.