BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 06, 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Malfunc
Fool On The Hill

Default 'The Quiet Beatle'

Hello all,
nobody is denying how popular the Beatles were and still are, and with due credit to John and Paul 'Lennon/McCartney' always stood at the forefront as two of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time. However, George and Ringo usually remained quietly somewhat in the background. It seemed to me that George was often overlooked and underestimated as a vital contributor to the group. I do believe that he was underestimated and overshadowed by John and Paul. George was called 'the quiet Beatle' and indeed he was, he never had a lot to say and seemed quite comfortable with his seemingly less up-front position in the group. But in spite of all this I truely admired George the most.

Malfunc
Malfunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

He was perceived as quiet in the Beatles early years, up until Revolver. IMO after Taxman came out, George began to gain more serious recognition as a talented songwriter and guitarist. In the late 60's, Here Comes The Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Something would rival the John/Paul compositions in the minds of a lot of Beatles fans.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
raul
Paperback Writer

Id say he did have a lot to say, and did say some of it. I don't think he ever had a really big personal problem with John. I won't get into Paul. It was, in fact, Ringo who just went along with ANYTHING, I think him "quiting" the band in 1968 was a big joke, at least that's the way I see it, I know it wasn't a joke, but it was nowhere as serious as George storming out during the Get Back Sessions, I think it was on 10th January 1969. Not to mention what had transpired afterwards. Paul was so keen to keep the band going, it resulted in a complete contraeffect. The road to hell is carved with good intentions. And John was completely out of it, even George said in 1969 that in the public eye he was "a lunatic or something", which is quite an understandable statement, considering everything that John was doing at the time.

Legs

Last edited by raul : Jan 06, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

I believe he wasn't so quiet at all. Most of the attention got to Paul and John but like in interviews George always filled the gaps and did not like long often pointless conversations.

As musician like many lead/solo guitarists in those days he was not upfront on stage, but even during his last Japan tour he said he loved to have the band with him because he does not like to be the one with the spotlights on. So... that makes him different than for instance Paul, but just because he preferred that.

It's no news that especially after the White Album George felt less happy now that he was writing more songs which were also more than "Don't Bother Me" but then he probably had certain feelings about people not understanding what he meant within "The Inner Light" and "Within You Without You".

I still wonder how sad he really was about certain songs being rejected. He was quite shallow when during the Get Back sessions he told John and Paul about his plans for a solo album. Sure his 'thing' with Paul was there... which can be heard on some songs from ATMP, but I think George felt quite free when he started doing things like with Delaney and Friends and Wonderwall and it only took a year or so after the Wah Wah day with Paul till he started his ATMP project in the studio?

I believe that people will know that most of the songs Paul and John wrote became as good because of Ringo and the two Georges. And I often think that when especially musicians look back at the lives of George, Paul, John and Ringo... that they will think highly of George overall..not only as a musician and do not see this underestimate issue.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jan 06, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Lynner

I think because George was not as prolific as John and Paul in the early years, They (J&P) got rather used to having their material showcased and overlooked George, even tho' he was their friend. I don't think it was because they didn't care for his music, but more that they wanted their own stuff used.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:03 AM   #6
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
I think because George was not as prolific as John and Paul in the early years, They (J&P) got rather used to having their material showcased and overlooked George, even tho' he was their friend. I don't think it was because they didn't care for his music, but more that they wanted their own stuff used.
I agree, that makes perfect sense, of course.

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:05 AM   #7
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

It kinda irritates me when they call him quiet. 'Cause he certainly was not quiet. (Tom Petty says he never shut up.) And when I first read some Beatles interviews, I went "why the hell are they calling him quiet? He talks just as much as the others." And "Not Guilty" is surely better than some of the stuff they put on the White Album.

And George once told Petty that he never pursued a solo career. All Things Must Pass was just a reaction to the Beatles breakup. And George was more of a team player.

I think that if George had a choice between being in the Beatles and the Wilburys, he would be a Wilbury. The thing I like about the Wilburys is that neither of them were more important than the other. Equals. And how different can you get than Bob Dylan's folksy songs and Electric Light Orchestra's...orchestras? Or Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. And add George in, and boom, you got a band. Almost magical.

Okay, I'll shut up now. For a while.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Jan 07, 2008 at 07:13 AM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote