BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Jun 02, 2004, 03:22 AM   #1
beatlemad
Taxman

Default The Ringo Albums : Ringo

Forget any fuss about Vertical Man and RingoRama! For me this is the best Ringo album, no contest.And he gets by with a little help from his friends......

Ringo is a pop delight, full of singalong tracks to make you feel good.Ringo also sounds like he's having fun.

The album opens with the John penned I'm The Greatest which had it been sung by any other beatle would have sounded arrogant and foolish. But Ringo carries it off with great skill and the beatles parts make this track even more endearing.
Have you Seen My Baby is a great bluesy rocker, again very catchy and great to singalong too.Pretty nonsense lyrics but that doesn't matter.
Photograph, co-written with George is one of the highlights of the album and indeed of Ringo's career.Done very emotionlly at the George tribute show, a song originally dealing with a lost love now has become very poigant.Superb!!
Down and Out, written by the man himself is the type of song Ringo could write in his sleep.Nice tune, simple lyrics but it works.
Sunshine Life For Me is a brilliant George song done in a country style and Ringos having a great time.
You're Sixteen is one of the best cover versions of all time IMO.Ringo's voice fits this song perfectly and you get Paul making funny noises.What more could you want??!
Oh My My is a little novelty ditty which gets stuck in your head for ages.Again, very simple lyrics but again you can sing your heart out!
Step Lightly is a slow track and is the weak link on the album for me.To me, Ringo can't do ballads.
Six o' Clock, by Paul and Linda is a great pop song.I can't imagine Paul doing this one but it suits Ringo.Paul and especially Linda contribute great backing vocals.Lindas voice works very well with Ringo's.
Devil Woman is a straight forward rocker which passes you buy with little interest.
You and Me is a nice little song which probably ruins my claim that Ringo cant do ballads! Ok, he can do one!!
It Don't Come Easy is another highlight and a song all Beatles fans have surely heard.No words needed, just perfect!
Early 1970 is a nice way to end the album.With referances to john,Paul and George it rounds things off very well.Again his country music influence shines through.

To me, Ringo is quite simply Ringos best work.Ringo is having fun and sadly after this it was downhill for a long time.Any Beatles fan MUST own this album!
beatlemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2004, 04:48 AM   #2
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Default Re: The Ringo Albums : Ringo

Yes this is definitely my favorite Ringo album. Photograph is the best song. I also have the bonus track 'Down & Out'.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I'm The Greatest - Fun song, and yeah, I agree that Ringo's about the only person who could sing this and NOT have it sound arrogant!
Have you Seen My Baby - Not one of my favorites, but ok.
Photograph - Wonderful song - beautiful melody, touching words, great arrangement.
Down and Out - You know, I have very little memory of this song! I'll have to pull out my CD and listen to it again!
Sunshine Life For Me - I like this - the goofy sound effects and the country sound are very endearing.
You're Sixteen - Only Ringo could pull off a 32 year old guy singing a love song to a 16 year old and not have it sound skeevy. LOL.
Oh My My - STUPID words, but it chugs along very nicely. Not Ringo's best singing though - it sounds too forced.
Step Lightly - I like this one, but it's a little draggy.
Six o' Clock - Unlike Beatlemad, I can definitely see Paul doing this song too, but I think Ringo's more earthy voice makes it sound great and not too too sweet, which I'm afraid might have happened if Paul had done it.
Devil Woman - Again, dumb lyrics, but a nice rockin' tune.
You and Me - Love it! The talking bit at the end is sort of cheesy, but cute.
It Don't Come Easy and Early 1970 aren't on my copy of Ringo, but they're both good songs, particularly IDCE.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4
darkhorse
Sun King

I like this album, it flows around quite nicely and you can see Ringo getting "by with a little help from his friends". Lots of good friends. The best contributions, IMHO, come from George, co-writing "Photograph" with him, and also including "You And Me (Babe)" and "Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)", which are possibly the three songs that I like the most. John's "I'm The Greatest" and Paul's "Six O'Clock" are other high points, in very different tones, both sound great in Ringo's voice. "You're Sixteen" and "Have You Seen My Baby (Hold On)" showcase his fun side; "Devil Woman" is quite notorious because of the drums. I totally hate "Oh My My" but I can see why it was a hit; and "Step Lightly" is not my cup of tea either... although the 'dancing feet' beat is quite nice to have there... Did I leave anything? "Down And Out" is quite monotonous but I like it. "It Don't Come Easy" has to be my favorite Ringo song EVER (also with the help of George), and "Early 1970" is another fantastic tune... Probably the best Ringo collection out there!
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Pushing this one back up, for anyone who wishes to contribute to the discusion. I promise I will later.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:43 PM   #6
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

I guess I will have to get around to getting this album one day.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Tania
Apple Scruff

You must! It started my collection. But hey, Ringo Rama is great, too. It Don't Come Easy is one of the greatest songs, definately on my top 3 for Ringo. It's not originally from the Ringo album, but they put it on there for the CD instead of just on a single.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:25 PM   #8
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
I promise I will later.
Me too.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:11 PM   #9
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Smile

My first (and the best, in my opinion) Ringo album I've ever got. The weakest track on this is "Devil Woman" along with "Step Lightly". Great drums on the first one, though.
I see it as a "happy album". I guess Ringo felt that way with the contribution of his three mates. "I'm The Greatest", "Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)", "Photograph", "Six O'Clock" and "You And Me (Babe)" are great efforts and Ringo performs them very good. I like the cover too...like a "Sgt.Pepper's" style.