BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default X-rated Ricky Gervais jokes about Mel Gibson's drinking and Macca's divorce

Golden Globes: X-rated Ricky Gervais jokes about Mel Gibson's drinking and Macca's divorce

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-divorce.html

During rehearsals, Ricky Gervais promised his Golden Globe bosses that he'd leave out his most controversial jokes but the British comedian certainly didn't keep his word when the cameras started rolling.
The Office star set all of Hollywood in his sights as he opened the 67th Annual Golden Globes last night, taking a swipe at everyone from Mel Gibson to Angelina Jolie with some X-rated comments thrown in about himself.

Even fellow Brit Sir Paul McCartney wasn't spared, with Gervais making fun of his costly divorce from ex-wife, Heather Mills.
Irreverent Gervais sipped on a glass of beer during the show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, quipping at one point: 'I like a drink as much as the next man... unless the next man is Mel Gibson.'

As Gibson - who was convicted of drink driving in 2006 - walked on to present the Best Director gong, he pretended to slur his words.
As Gervais introduced the Best Original Song category, for which Macca was nominated, he said: 'We actually came over on the same flight. I didn't get to speak to him because I was up the front in first class.

'He was behind me in coach. Saving money. He spent an awful lot last year.
The camera showed a stony-faced McCartney - who was at the show with his American socialite girlfriend, Nancy Shevell - as the crowd began to boo.

'I don't think we have to feel too sorry for him,' Gervais assured. 'He's doing alright.'
McCartney's song lost out to winner, The Weary Kind, from Jeff Bridges flick, Crazy Heart.

And before he introduced Colin Farrell, Gervais joked: 'One stereotype I hate is that all Irishmen are just drunk, swearing hell raisers.

'Please welcome Colin Farrell.'

As he arrived on stage to present the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical, he said: 'Oh, I once was a cliche.
'I heard Ricky had specifically asked to introduce me and I thought, "Oh, balls".'
Few were spared a lashing by Gervais, who at one point said: 'Just looking at all the faces here reminds me of the great work that's been done this year... by cosmetic surgeons. You all look great.

At that punchline, the camera quickly cut away from Meryl Streep, instead opting for a long shot of the crowd.

'It is an honour to be here in a room full of what I consider to be the most important people on the planet: actors.
'They're just better than ordinary people, aren't they?

He said: 'Actors aren't just loved here in Hollywood, they're loved the world over because they're recognisable. You can be in the Third World and you get a glimpse of a Hollywood star and it makes you feel better.
'You can be a little child, a little Asian child, with no possessions, no money - but you see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you think, 'Mummy!'

Jolie and husband Brad Pitt skipped the event, but the star-studded audience, including Robert De Niro, Cameron Diaz and Matt Damon seemed to be enjoying his brand of humour.
He also turned the air blue at one point when he claimed to have had 'penis reduction' surgery - going from two male members to just one.
He joked that he would rather be at home pleasuring himself than being watched by millions.

He said: 'I've had a little bit of work done. I've had a penis reduction. Just got the one now.
'And it is very tiny. But so are my hands. So when I'm holding it, it looks pretty big.

'And let's face it I usually am holding it. I wish I was doing that now, instead of this, to be honest.
Gervais, 48, also took the opportunity to plug the original BBC version of his show The Office, holding up a DVD box set of the hit programme and urging viewers to buy it, rather than watch the American spin-off, which stars funnyman Steve Carell.

Carell could be seen in the audience jokingly mouthing that he was going to "kill" Gervais for his remarks.

He said: 'I'm not used to these sort of viewing figures He also plugged his website later on the show - and his latest DVD release, The Invention of Lying.
He said: 'I've had hundreds of emails asking me why The Invention of Lying wasn't nominated.
'I don't know why! Maybe the DVD will win an award... That's out on Tuesday at Walmart." And at the end of the broadcast he urged viewers to tune into his new HBO series.

But he didn't dare take the Mickey out of one celeb - hardman Mickey Rourke

He said: 'I haven't got a bad word to say about him...mainly because he has arms as big as my legs.'

Gervais, who won a Globe in 2004 for his work in The Office, admitted before the show that he was planning to defy orders from producers to clean up his material.
He confessed: 'There were about five things they didn't like (in rehearsal). I said I won't do them - but I'm going to do them. It's live, so what can they do? They can't stop me.'

But he was not an immediate hit with US critics - with one dubbing him 'flat'.

Bill Zwecker wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times: 'Ricky Gervais, one of the most anticipated awards show hosts in recent memory, was a big disappointment as he opened the 67th annual Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night.

'From a flat, self-congratulatory series of quips about Steve Carell... to a stale joke about the omnipresence of plastic surgery in Hollywood, to a tasteless group of penis jokes, to unfunny jokes about Hugh Laurie and Kiefer Sutherland, Gervais only generated embarrassed chuckles from the assembled Tinseltown luminaries.'
Respected industry magazine Entertainment Weekly listed Gervais' performance under their Best and Worst moments list, with it falling under the latter.
Hollywood Reporter called Gervais 'surprisingly uninspired' and claimed his jokes 'didn't land a blow, let alone draw blood'.

Earlier, Sir Paul McCartney, who was presenting the award for Best Animation, had the celebrity crowd in fits of laughter when he made a joke about drugs.
The singer said: 'I'm Paul McCartney, or as I'm now known, that guy from [video game] Rock Band.
'Animation is not just for children. It is also for adults who take drugs.'

As audience members - including Julia Roberts - laughed, he added: 'So let's take a look at the films that were nominated by drug-taking adults.'
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Gervais sounded like he was using very poor judgment. Presented in the guise of humor, the remarks sound very mean spirited to me.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:56 PM   #3
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Gervais sounded like he was using very poor judgment. Presented in the guise of humor, the remarks sound very mean spirited to me.
No way!I haven't laughed so hard during those shows.He was very funny.The hell with the actors,their spoiled & over-paid.I don't feel sorry for them.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:20 PM   #4
seltaebno9
Apple Scruff

When are people going to catch on.. Ricky Gervais is NOT funny..he is so far up his own arse, that he can see next weeks shit !!!

seltaeb
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, seltaebno9 or 9onBeatles!

Let's just say he's in for the runs of his life with those gaffes!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Ketman
Apple Scruff

He was funnier when he was a relative unknown on The 11 o'clock Show back in the 90s (along with that other relative unknown, Ali G). He also did a short series called Meet Ricky Gervais, where he interviewed celebs. One of them was Michael Winner, who was famous for complaining in restaurants and sending stuff back to the kitchen if it wasn't up to standard. Ricky asked him: "How much chef's piss do you think you've drunk in your time?" He was good then.
Ketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Hari's Chick

I read now that Paul hugged him backstage and said he thought the jokes about him were funny. I dunno, but I think the Paul joke was not too bad?

So long as the jokes are not really pointed and cruel. They didn't strike me as cruel, but... I didn't hear them all. I never liked Don Rickles, though, that kind of thing.

He posted this after MJ passed, and I thought it was pretty funny. I mean, I think Michael himself would have laughed at this. It's not mean, just funny.

http://www.rickygervais.com/images/a...ackson_340.jpg
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Yeah hahahaaa! That Thriller-like picture was used a few years back when he did a stand up show called Animals.....it was REALLY funny and I suggest that people who haven't seen him do stand up should watch it, it is REALLY funny and the best of any of his stand up tours.

I think all the press about how lame he was and how rude he was isn't really justified. They hired him knowing what sort of humour he does and what he is capable of so the GG people surely knew that there would be a little bit of inappropriate stuff. And as for the joke about the divorce....it could have been A LOT worse. Cast your minds back to what other hosts have said about it and Heather in particular....Jimmy Carr did a really offensive gag about her in the not too distant past when he was hosting some awards thing. So yeah - I think that joke wasn't ALL that bad.

The thing with him is YES he is far up his own rear end but he doesn't make out that he isn't. He isn't fake about it.

He has done REALLY well to get where he is now, there is no denying it. I think some of his work is absolutely brilliant and some of it is not as good. But for me, I will always have admiration for him since he is a co-creator of The Office and OMG if any of you haven't seen the UK original version, YOU MUST! Extras is fantastic too.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
The thing with him is YES he is far up his own rear end but he doesn't make out that he isn't. He isn't fake about it.
You crack me up!!

Okay, I'm adding Animals and The Office to my "must see" list. :) I think it's kind of funny that they told him not to do certain jokes, and then he did them anyway! LOL... I didn't know he had that MJ thingie a few years ago. That makes sense as to why he put it up so quickly, because it was his off hand kind of tribute I suspect. I wonder if MJ ever remarked to him about it? I'd love to know! I can really imagine Michael having a laugh!

Bet you that maybe Paul stone faced his jokes not knowing how far he would go with them. Paul probably did not want to be laughing about something minor and funny, and have the joke change to something about - like making fun of Heather in a bad way- and there he would seem to be laughing at THAT. I bet he is careful if nothing else because of Bea. Just guessing, but I bet that may be it.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:28 AM   #10
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I dont think the Paul joke was all that bad. He was joking about all the money he had to pay to Heather, he really wasnt making fun of Paul himself imo.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan

Last edited by lennonluvr9 : Jan 21, 2010 at 06:28 AM.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote