BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

View Poll Results: The most useless recent Beatles related release.
The upcoming Capitol albums volume 2 set 0 0%
Capitol Albums volume 1 4 11.43%
John Lennon Working Class Hero compilation set 16 45.71%
Sometime in New York City - re-release 7 20.00%
Imagine dvd. I mean who else besides me have bought it? 1 2.86%
Let it be... Naked 4 11.43%
Something else 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Most useless recent Beatles related release.

Normally I would say the more Beatle stuff the better. But lately we've seen a bunch of releases, at least I was less then thrilled about. I hope that the history revision of "Let it be... naked" isn't becoming a trend. They shouldn't have wasted their time on that release, instead they should just focus on re-mastering and releasing the U.K. albums.

Some feel that the new John Lennon compilation set "Working Class Hero" is one compilation to far.

Ofcourse every re-release has some use, there are always fans who end up buying and loving everything that comes out.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:44 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

To me, from this list it would be the Capitol releases because I have always thought those funny releases were a bit odd and complicated.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:48 AM   #3
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I think those rubbishy compilations that EMI rushed out as soon as they got the rights to the Beatles' back catalogue in (I believe) 1976. Things like Love Songs and Ballads. Rarities was a cool release because it had some stuff I'm sure some people had never heard before.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
matt2791
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to matt2791 Send a message via Yahoo to matt2791

The Capitol Releases are quaint, but I was never interested in buying them, I'd rather see "Help!" and "Let It Be" officially released on DVD.
No, we need money first!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:13 PM   #5
beatlegeek
Apple Scruff

I voted for the Working Class Hero compilation. I mean, come on?!?! Isn't Lennon Legend, which came out in the late 90s, good enough? I think so, especially for a novice Lennon fan.

I think most things released within the last five years have been pretty useless, to me anyway.
beatlegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

Sometime in New York City re-release for me.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:36 PM   #7
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I almost voted STINYC out of spite for bastardizing the original album, but I went with Working Class Hero. Lennon Legend was billed as the definitive compilation less than a decade earlier, and WCH offered absolutely nothing new to the obsessive fan (at least LL had the single edit of "Mother").

Let it Be...Naked was absolutely useless too; it would have been ok as a complement to a DVD release of LIB but on its own? Worthless.

The only one that isn't useless is the Imagine DVD--that one definitely should have been released; not sure why it even made the list besides lack of promotion.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:19 PM   #8
62hofner

I didn't vote on any of the above. I agree that there comes a point when releases can be over-kill. But, I have yet to see a "waste of time" beatles release yet (in recent years).

I think "Reel Music" was a cheap shot. I even hated the artwork on the album. But did I buy it when it came out? Of course!

I think "Let It Be - Naked" is better than the original "Let It Be". I know many felt that it was a "vanity" release. But, "Let It Be" was always at the bottom of my list of favorite Beatles albums. "Naked" brought it up from the depths for me, personally.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
The only one that isn't useless is the Imagine DVD--that one definitely should have been released; not sure why it even made the list besides lack of promotion.
That's actually a good reason why it made the list. The release itself is good, but what's the use if you don't promote it.

The "Rock 'N' Roll" and other 70's releases were pretty useless to.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:13 AM   #10
taxman
Taxman

I think no release is ever useless, because there is always lots of people who don't have it, not forgetting the completists.
If there was more interesting things to release, that's another story.
Anyway, from the list above, I would choose Lennon's compilation because it's the only one that doesn't bring anything new in it's format; all the others have, including Sometime in NYC, wich is also part of the re-release of all John's CD's.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:21 AM   #11
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I agree with Taxman's entire post. The list of material as a whole is pretty weak, I will grant. "Let it Be...Naked" was a decent idea, but skimpy and ungenerous in its execution. Still I do think it represents an improvement in some respects over the Spector version of the album. I would have bought it for new versions of "I've Got a Feeling" and "Don't Let Me Down" alone.

As for the "Imagine" DVD, why would EMI/Apple work to promote a Warner Brothers product?

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:30 AM   #12
darkhorse
Sun King

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
That's actually a good reason why it made the list. The release itself is good, but what's the use if you don't promote it.
You're talking about the Imagine: John Lennon movie, right? Is there a DVD out there yet? I didn't know.

Useless... well pretty much all of them. I realize that the Capitol albums are important after all for the fans from the US so I'll exclude them from the analysis. For me they mean nothing.

Let It Be... Naked was useless and tasteless and they didn't even use the best mixes of each song so it was a smash disaster overall. And I don't like bastardized albums so Sometime In New York City (and Walls And Bridges with some tracks remastered and some others remixed AND without including "Move Over Ms.L" as a bonus track neither here nor in the Rock And Roll CD) is another huge disappointment.

But overall it has to be Working Class Hero. I mean, we already have four Lennon greatest hits compilations (Shaved Fish, Collection, Lennon Legend, Working Class Hero)... what else do we need? The same songs in a different order. I believe the iPod can do that.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 05:38 PM   #13
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Beatle 1 is a waste for me.
I like 'LIB, Naked'--it seems more what they were going for at the time.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:29 AM   #14
rubbersoulster_mel
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to rubbersoulster_mel Send a message via Yahoo to rubbersoulster_mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfab
I think Beatles 1 was a waste for most of us who are diehard fans, simply because we already have the material, but I do see the point of that CD because it's a great introduction for people just discovering Beatles music.

To me, Working Class Hero seems like the biggest waste as it doesn't have anything new to offer… I mean, how many times can they regurgitate the same "best of" material (apparently the answer to my question is many, many times )?

I have to admit that I also enjoy Let It Be... Naked, mostly because it uses some different takes. Of course, I'm one of those crazy Get Back sessions nuts, so I always enjoy hearing stuff from that period. Having said that, Let It Be... Naked was a disappointment because it certainly wasn't what fans had been looking for after all these years. It would have been far more interesting to finally see an official release of Get Back and not a repurposing of Let It Be.

Someone from the office rang me up and said, 'Look, Paul, you're dead.' And I said, 'Oh, I don't agree with that.' - Paul McCartney
rubbersoulster_mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:36 PM   #15
Paul
Day Tripper

The biggest difference 'Working Class Hero' has over previous best-ofs is that it uses the new remasters and remixes for the tracks.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:39 PM   #16
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfab
I totally concur regarding LIB Naked. I never liked the original LIB much - it always felt so disjointed and all over the place to me. "Naked" pulled it all together into an ALBUM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:27 AM   #17
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Beatles 1 was a masterstroke as it gave as close to a Best Of that has ever been.

Let It Be Naked...I like it!

Lennon Legend is perfect as a collection. WCH is not needed.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Maxine
Dr. Robert

It seems I'm the only one, who doesn't think Working Class Hero was a waste. I bought it and I'm very happy about it. Oh My Love, Out Of The Blue and Woman Is The Nigger Of The World are great songs that aren't on Lennon Legend.

I also like Let It Be...Naked, I like it even more than the original...

For the record, I didn't vote for any of the options. There are always people, who are gonna be happy about the new releases and as long as that's the case, whatever they want to release is fine and not useless IMO.
Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:25 AM   #19
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I think the new John compilation album is a bit too much. Lennon Legend didn't come out all that long ago, so it seems a bit silly to me.

I actually really enjoy Let it Be Naked.... being the Paul fan that I am, I think that Spector really ruined a lot of the songs on that album, and everything sounds better on Naked than it does on the original.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:55 AM   #20
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

I've seen the Imagine DVD, but I haven't bought it. I will, but not for now.

The Capitol Albums are curious items, because it would be nice to know how the americans heard those albums. I won't buy them (I think!) but I don't see them as "useless".

"Let It Be...Naked" is a must have. We all have been reading how Paul disagreed about the way the album got finished, and we must knew this original work. I'm staying with the 1970 release, by the way.

"Sometime in New York City"...I didn't know it was re-released...since I have the CD, I won't buy it...it's a useless item, I believe. But...

...I voted for "John Lennon Working Class Hero compilation set"...it's the most useless thing and just a move to make more money...nothing more to say