BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Eccleston Plays "Naked" John Lennon

Eccleston Plays "Naked" John Lennon

Monday, November 30, 2009

By Garth Franklin

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/157...d-john-lennon-

Christopher Eccleston

Naoko Mori

British thesp Christopher Eccleston ("Heroes," "Doctor Who," "Elizabeth") has signed on to play John Lennon in Blast! Films and BBC Four's biopic "Naked Lennon" reports Variety.

Set between 1967 and 1971, the film deals with the end of Lennon's first marriage to Cynthia, Yoko Ono entering his life, the death of manager Brian Epstein and the band's own messy and acrimonious disintegration.

"Torchwood" and "Absolutely Fabulous" actress Naoko Mori, who appeared opposite Eccleston in a 2005 episode of "Doctor Who", is set to play Yoko. Also in the cast are Claudine Blakely ("Lark Rise to Candleford," "Pride and Prejudice") as his first wife, Andrew Scott ("Longitude," "John Adams") as Paul McCartney, and Rory Kinnear ("Quantum of Solace," "Cranford") as Brian Epstein

Robert Jones, creator of BBC's acclaimed series "Party Animals", penned the script. Filming is underway in London for an airing sometime next year.

The project comes not long after "Nowhere Boy", Sam Taylor Wood's 1950's-set feature film which looks at Lennon's teenage years and has so far drawn mixed reviews.

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Nov 30, 2009 at 09:52 AM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Rory Kinnear (Brian Epstein) is the son of Roy Kinnear who played Algernon, one of the mad scientists in "Help!"
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Paulrus View Post
Rory Kinnear (Brian Epstein) is the son of Roy Kinnear who played Algernon, one of the mad scientists in "Help!"
Really? Wow! Six degrees of Beatle seperation. I've got mixed ideas about this project. I won't go into them again. Hopefully I'll be completely wrong and it'll be amazing. The Beeb has a tendency to produce really well done mini series. Hopefully it'll air on PBS/CBC or someone will put it on youtube. Being Canadian sucks sometimes,
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
beatlelover45223

Smile

What a small world, I loved the Algernon character in Help.

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:23 PM   #5
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston transforms into late Beatles singer John

Former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston transforms into late Beatles singer John Lennon for new BBC film

Jan 16 2010

by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-25612169/

HERE is ex-Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston transformed into late Beatles singer John Lennon.

The 45-year-old has donned glasses and grown his hair to take the role of the musical legend for new BBC4 drama Lennon Naked.

In a newly released publicity shot the former Time Lord wears a replica white suit worn by Lennon in 1968 at an art gallery with wife Yoko Ono.

The one-off 90-minute film, which looks at Beatle’s life from 1967 to 1971, will be part of the BBC’s new spring drama season.

Lennon Naked will see the Salford-born actor play the iconic singer from his time in the Beatles through to his later years.

It features the effect on Lennon of the death of the Beatles’ manager, Brian Epstein, and the impact of re-establishing contact with his long-lost father Freddie.

The film also covers the break-up of his marriage to Cynthia Lennon and his relationship with Yoko Ono.

Yoko Ono is played by Naoko Mori, of Torchwood and Absolutely Fabulous, Brian Epstein by Laurence Olivier Award winner Rory Kinnear and Cynthia Lennon by Cranford actress Claudie Blakley.Other cast members include Andrew Scott as Paul McCartney, Christopher Fairbank as Freddie Lennon, Allan Corduner as Art Janov and Michael Colgan as Derek Taylor.

Ben Stephenson, the BBC’s controller of drama commissioning, said: “Securing Christopher Eccleston to play John Lennon is further testament to the calibre of drama on BBC4.

“The Women We Loved season attracted record audiences and the channel is steadily building a reputation for portraying some of this country's best-loved icons.”Other cast members include Andrew Scott as Paul McCartney, Christopher Fairbank as Freddie Lennon, Allan Corduner as Art Janov and Michael Colgan as Derek Taylor.

Ben Stephenson, the BBC’s controller of drama commissioning, said: “Securing Christopher Eccleston to play John Lennon is further testament to the calibre of drama on BBC4.

Richard Klein, controller of BBC4, said: “BBC4 is the place where dramas look to explore that space between artists' public works and private lives, shedding light on the artistic process while offering intelligent entertainment.”

Lennon Naked was written by Robert Jones, the co-creator of BBC drama Party Animals.

It was filmed in London by the independent producer Blast! Films and is due to air in the next few months.

The director and co-producer is Edmund Coulthard, whose credits include Soundproof. Katherine Lannon, who worked on BBC4's The Secret Life of Mrs Beeton, is co-producer.

In 1995, Christopher Eccleston starred in award-winning Liverpool writer Jimmy McGovern’s Hearts and Minds, about a young teacher working at a tough comprehensive school in Liverpool.

He also appeared in Jimmy's acclaimed drama-documentary Hillsborough, which was widely acknowledged for reigniting the families fight for justice.

The programme, which won a BAFTA for Best Single Drama, documented the football tragedy that killed 96 Liverpool fans.

It featured Christopher and Royle Family actor Ricky Tomlinson playing the part of people who lost loved ones on April 15, 1989.

Hillsborough was released on DVD for the first time in September last year.

Christopher played the ninth Doctor in Doctor Who but quit as the Time Lord in 2005 after just one episode of the new series was screened.

The actor, who has also appeared in the sci-fi TV show Heroes, was replaced by David Tennant. Unknown stage actor Matt Smith took over from Tennant this year.

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Jan 20, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
beatlelover45223

I don't watch Dr. Who, this is a pretty good likeness of our John in the above photo, thanks for posting the article paulrus!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote