BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old May 25, 2004, 02:08 PM   #1
JoanQuizzical
Little Child

Default Afterlife Fics?

I've read a few afterlife fics, and I noticed that the Beatle (John, George or both) are young--or younger then they were when they died. Is there a specific reason for this? It's showed up in more then one story.
Some examples: "Reunited," by Cream Tangerine(?), and "The Right Door." (I forget who wrote that one; it's on Rooftop Sessions.)
JoanQuizzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 02:42 PM   #2
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Re: Afterlife Fics?

"The Right Door" was by Cheryl Mortensen, Joan.

I don't think there's a specific reason; frankly, I've always felt that the afterlife is what you make it, as it were -- if you believe in an afterlife, there's no "time" as we know it, and so you can be any age, any body, any energy. You don't necessarily go to the afterlife at the age you were when you died on earth, since what made you YOU is really just energy that inhabited a body during that one life. I don't know if I'm being totally clear...I know what I'm trying to say but am not sure if it makes sense. Perhaps that's what the authors were trying to do.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 01:29 AM   #3
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

I've only read The Right Door, but I get the impression that perhaps George went back to that stage in his life because that was a point where he was happiest and felt safe, back home in Liverpool. Perhaps thats why, everyone (well, most) remember where they grew up as safest place, not that I'm saying George wasn't happy anywhere afterwards. Its seems like a natural choice to me.
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 10:51 AM   #4
JoanQuizzical
Little Child

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
I don't think there's a specific reason; frankly, I've always felt that the afterlife is what you make it, as it were -- if you believe in an afterlife, there's no "time" as we know it, and so you can be any age, any body, any energy. You don't necessarily go to the afterlife at the age you were when you died on earth, since what made you YOU is really just energy that inhabited a body during that one life. I don't know if I'm being totally clear...I know what I'm trying to say but am not sure if it makes sense. Perhaps that's what the authors were trying to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand, Susan. It was just a common theme, I guess. While reading these stories, I thought, "They're dead, why do they need to be young?" But that argument could go the other way: "They're dead, so they can be any age they want to," which is what you said.

And Mis O'Dell, George probably was happy as a young man in Liverpool--especially after John let him into the band!
JoanQuizzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 02:47 PM   #5
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I actually have not read any afterlife fics but it does make sense to me why people would make them younger....
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 08:24 PM   #6
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

I've written a few stories that involved people in one vision of an afterlife or another. I've never written the main character as having any specific age -- however, I've always imagined that the people we'll meet there will be at the age where we remember them being the happiest (kind of like when Rose goes back to the Titanic when she dies and then all of a sudden, there she is, young and beautiful along with everyone else -- pathetic analogy, perhaps, but bear with me! ) I don't know, but maybe the authors of those stories have thought along the same lines as I have. It makes a little bit of sense to me... but that doesn't necessarily mean anything

~Mags
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote