BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:40 AM   #1
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Default Death Penalty

Is it a good idea?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:01 AM   #2
sadie
Sun King

No its barbaric and how can killing someone cos its wrong to kill someone be justified, also it has been found apparently that states that have the penalty have a higher crime rate than those states that don't so doesn't work anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I don't think is a good idea.
A man can't kill another man, that is wrong in every way. I don't care if someone killed a man because he wanted to rob him, or for revenge or because the other man is a criminal. It's just wrong to take away another life, that's one thing that only God can do.
Would you like to do it too?

You and I, country dreamer
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:04 AM   #4
sadie
Sun King

Also alot of the narrow minded west considers the middle easterns "barbaric and sub human" for holding executions when the states has executed more people than many middle eastern countries. Just my opinion by the way, what is yours Z?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:12 AM   #5
twovirgins
Sun King

I think all killing is wrong even in war "thou shalt not kill " is a supposed commandment from god
Killing someone to prove killing is wrong is circular logic
But you know if someone hurt or killed my son on purpose for example Id really feel like shooting them .....not saying its right but that would be my gut animal impulse
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:14 AM   #6
sadie
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by twovirgins
I think all killing is wrong even in war "thou shalt not kill " is a supposed commandment from god
Killing someone to prove killing is wrong is circular logic
But you know if someone hurt or killed my son on purpose for example Id really feel like shooting them .....not saying its right but that would be my gut animal impulse
you are right, i am sure i would feel the same if someone harmed my kids and i feel the same about peodophiles however its not as easy as that.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:15 AM   #7
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

I dont have kids but if I did and someone killed one of them or if someone killed my wife I would want to kill that person. If I had the chance would I do it.......I dont know honestly! I may do or I may not. It's impossible to tell.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:16 AM   #8
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I absolultely don't believe in it in an abstract sense, but like 2v says, I'm not sure if I'd be able to be so objective about it if somebody murdered one of my family or friends.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:20 AM   #9
sadie
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I absolultely don't believe in it in an abstract sense, but like 2v says, I'm not sure if I'd be able to be so objective about it if somebody murdered one of my family or friends.
i think that is what i mean too, in an abstract sense no i don't believe in it.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:39 AM   #10
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Absolutely. I totally agree.

And after all, what does the death penalty solve? It doesn't bring back the murdered person. But it would be VERY hard to be objective if it touched me personally.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Mar 13, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:49 AM   #11
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

It should be used if the person still poses a threat to other people. Otherwise, life in prison is a much worse punishment IMHO.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Beatle_4
Banned

The death penalty should be imposed if you are proven to have killed a child. The problem is, Canada and a lot of the other countries have no ba77s to enact such a law.

It's no wonder we have such a pathetic world to live now-a-days. Criminals know they can virtually get away with murder.
Beatle_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:34 AM   #13
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

I am absolutely against capital punishment, it has been something I have felt passionately about since I was a kid. I think it is in outdated and barbaric process, and far too open to mistakes and mis-use.I understand what people have said about how they would feel if their loved ones were the victims. If anybody harmed my kids I would want to rip them limb from limb, that is a natural, emotional reaction. But I don't believe that any civilised governement should have the power to take the life of another in that way. I would much rather have tougher jail sentences, and have life mean life than live under a judicial system which is able to kill people.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Hari's Chick

I'm against the death penalty for the most part. Like John's words 'don't you know that you can count me out...in' I feel it similarly as his words. I can be for it emotionally, but know it is wrong intellectually and spiritually.

I always held such respect for Olivia for the very reason that she protected George but then set the limit and stopped short of killing George's attacker, for example. Had it been me there, I know he'd have been sporting a toe tag.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:09 PM   #15
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

No, I think rotting in jail is a more of a cruel punishment.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:28 PM   #16
Lynner

I'm very much against the death penalty, but I'm also unhappy that my tax dollars allow some criminals to live a rather nice life in prison. I think the prisoners should have to be made to work to pay for their keep.

But as others have mentioned, if my own family were involved...
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:54 PM   #17
LovinLennon909
Taxman

I don't think two wrongs ever make a right. The government shouldn't be allowed to kill people any more that citizens are.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:05 PM   #18
beatlelover45223

I have mixed emotions on this one, always have... I hate to see an animal take up space and waste the air that we need as humans, they(the criminals) get three square meals a day,get a great education when there are children in my country who do not have the luxury of 3 meals a day, many are not getting the best education they deserve in my country and may be homeless out on the streets with their whole familiy(now that is criminal to me) I have to say I am little easier with execution emotionaly since many states use chemical execution..... and may I say, that it may not be your family member who was killed but it is someone's family member who was killed....

~ Nancy ~

Last edited by beatlelover45223 : Mar 13, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:44 AM   #19
SnarkyKat
Nowhere Man

Send a message via AIM to SnarkyKat Send a message via MSN to SnarkyKat Send a message via Yahoo to SnarkyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner
I'm very much against the death penalty, but I'm also unhappy that my tax dollars allow some criminals to live a rather nice life in prison.
Actually, more money goes into paying for someone that has been convicted of the death penalty than someone who has to live in prison for the rest of his life. Because, as soon as someone gets convicted of the death penalty, the court system goes into overdrive with appeals to make sure the wrong man hasn't been convicted. I think the difference is something like $400,000 for someone who has to live in prison for the rest of his life, compared to over a million dollars for someone convicted of the death penalty.

http://www.onehepkat.com/

"Better living through graphic design."
SnarkyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Beatle_4
Banned

I'm sorry but I can't see how it would cost more to put someone to death than it would to keep them alive for 30 plus years. With all the DNA testing available today, the chance of convicting the wrong person is impossible.

The perfect candidate for the death penalty here is Paul Bernardo. He was found guilty in the deaths of Kristin French(16), Leslie Mahaffey(15) and his own sister-in-law Tammy Homolka(15). After raping these 3, they ended up dead and their bodies discarded like yesterdays refuse. He is currently serving a life sentence in prison. He has just confessed to the rape of at least 17 other women. What punishment will he receive for that? Nothing. He's already serving a sentence where he will be in jail for the rest of his life. Oh..BTW... His wife was involved in all this. What did she get? 12 years in a minimum security prison for testifying against her husband. She is now free.
Beatle_4 is offline   Reply With Quote