BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:30 AM   #21
LemonCurry
Apple Scruff

several of my friends love this movie too....i've only seen the first ten minutes, and it bored me to death...-.-
the worst part is that one of those friends tells me she's a Beatles fan, but she has really just heard the songs that are in the movie...the other day she actually said that she doesn't like the songs when the Beatles sings them, only when they are sung by the actors in the movie...

Georgiie!

Last edited by LemonCurry : Feb 03, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
LemonCurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:51 AM   #22
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Some of the songs in the movie are excellent. Very well done.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:09 PM   #23
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer

The other day my friend was playing "I wanna hold your hand" And another girl was like "I LOVE THAT MOVIE!" ..I felt really bad after, but I just turned around and snapped on her. I was like "it's not a movie, its a monumental band, bigger than anything you could imagine, who made amazing brill music..etc" Oops, but still it was sad for someone to say that, who honestly thought it was just a movie.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:10 PM   #24
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer

In another way it's also a good thing. It gets their songs out (even if ppl don't realise there is a band), and I suppose that was the meaning of the music, to share. I dunno, I myself am much to posessive!
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:48 PM   #25
starkey21
Fool On The Hill

I have watched this movie.. And it was great.. The main characters sang almost every other beatles song ( it's a musical by the way). The movie ends up with the cast singing at a rooftop of a building ala Beatles.. Very very good movie.. The cast also includes Bono as Doctor Robert which makes it look cooler to me...

Oh by the way, just wanna share this interesting Myspace Layout of the Beatles I saw yesterday for the fans out there..
Please check it out..

The Beatles Myspace Layout
starkey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:42 AM   #26
heyjude
Wild Honey Pie

(Sorry, I know this topic hasn't been posted on in awhile, but I'd really to to comment on it)
I absolutely love this movie! At first I hated it, I didn't understnad it. But after a few watches I really started catching on to the symbolism and 'secrets' of the movie. Not really secrets, but lines that make me smile. Like when Prudence comes in out of nowhere (Wtf, right?) through a window to appear infront of the cast. Sadie says, "Where did she come from?" Jude replies, "She came in through the bathroom window."
'When I'm 64' is also mentioned by a ticket booth guy.
I like the weirdness of the movie, and the way it portrays the 60s perfectly. Starting out innocent and naive with songs like 'Hold Me Tight' and 'All my Loving', progressing into the heavy changes of the era like 'Revolution' and 'Helter Skelter'.
The Special Features disc on making the movie really gave me the view the director (Julie Taymor) sees.

That's just my two-bit :)
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:08 PM   #27
BeatleJim
Little Child

I thought it was great. I don't think that any of the songs were "butchered". They certainly weren't done like the originals, but I though that they were all done very well. I generally hate musicals, but I loved this.
BeatleJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:19 PM   #28
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Hated it.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 12:09 PM   #29
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyMissLizzy

I love this movie to death and I think it's unfair for people to think you're not a true Beatles fan if you REALLY REALLY got into the Beatles after seeing Across The Universe. Across The Universe introduced Beatles music in a new way to several young people who weren't lucky enough to live in that era, or who didn't originally want to give the Beatles a chance because they're "old" and not as popular with teens anymore.
I already liked the Beatles when I saw Across The Universe, but it introduced me to more of their music, which made me want to hear the original versions of the ones I hadn't heard before, so I looked up the originals and loved them even more.
Just because someone might like the way they did the songs (and not to mention all those Beatles references!) in Across The Universe doesn't make them any less a Beatles fan than you.

This movie really got me into the 60s too. The first time I watched it I was up half the night just thinking and thinking...

Anyone else notice that in some scenes Jim Sturgess (who played Jude) REALLY looked like Paul McCartney? My mom pointed it out the first time we watched it.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
DizzyMissLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 06:42 AM   #30
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mustard View Post
In another way it's also a good thing. It gets their songs out (even if ppl don't realise there is a band), and I suppose that was the meaning of the music, to share. I dunno, I myself am much to posessive!
I'm possessive as well with them, hahaha! I don't know why!

Old May 24, 2009, 06:48 AM   #31
mluque125
Paperback Writer

A lot of the visuals were good, but the plot was just very undeveloped, not to mention the characters. Some of the characters (particularly Prudence) only seemed to be there for the sake of adding another song in the movie. If you took Prudence out the movie would have been exactly the same, she was such an unnecessary character. Some of the scenes were completely unnecessary as well. I understand you want to play as many Beatles songs as you can, but do it in a meaningful way. I just didn't care for any of the characters or the story at all. I don't feel any of the magic the movie was trying to make us feel. I felt like it was trying to hard, and it just failed.

Old May 24, 2009, 08:43 AM   #32
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
I'm possessive as well with them, hahaha! I don't know why!
Haha me too guys!
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 08:44 AM   #33
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
A lot of the visuals were good, but the plot was just very undeveloped, not to mention the characters. Some of the characters (particularly Prudence) only seemed to be there for the sake of adding another song in the movie. If you took Prudence out the movie would have been exactly the same, she was such an unnecessary character. Some of the scenes were completely unnecessary as well. I understand you want to play as many Beatles songs as you can, but do it in a meaningful way. I just didn't care for any of the characters or the story at all. I don't feel any of the magic the movie was trying to make us feel. I felt like it was trying to hard, and it just failed.
I think you explained that perfectly, or least explained the way I felt about it perfectly!
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:55 PM   #34
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Well, it still leaves me enchanted after watching it and I've seen it several times.
Actually, Paul McCartney saw it and he loved it. If it's good enough for the guy who WROTE and ORIGINALLY PERFORMED the songs, it should be good enough for anyone. :)

I found this on imdb.com and thought it would be fun to post. But I took away some of the pointless ones like set secrets...You can see the whole thing on imdb.com if you look up across the universe and click on trivia:

The title of the movie, and many of the characters are named after various songs by The Beatles: Lucy, Jude, Max (Maxwell) Sadie, Mr. Kite, Dr. Robert, Prudence, JoJo, Rita.

Early versions of the script had a character named Sgt. Pepper, with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" set to accompany his scene. The character was scrapped as the script was finalized for production.

Events in the movie are derived from actual 1960s events, such as the violent student protest at Columbia University. The actual explosion at a New York townhouse was the work of the Weather Underground and took place at 18 West 11th Street in Greenwich Village; a photograph of the actual house appears in the movie. The Beatles were also stopped by police while playing a rooftop concert in London.

The shipyard employee that gives Jude his paycheck says he thought he'd be doing something different when he was sixty-four, an allusion to the Paul McCartney's song "When I'm Sixty-Four."

When Prudence first enters the apartment through the window, Jude comments "She came in through the bathroom window," a reference to The Beatles's song "She Came in through the Bathroom Window."

After Prudence enters through the bathroom window, Jude greets her saying "Hello, hello" which can be seen as a reference to "Hello Goodbye", which was called Hello Hello by McCartney while he was writing it.

Cafe Huh? is a reference to Cafe Wha?, originally in Greenwich Village.

When Max and Jude first see their apartment, Sadie comments that Max seems harmless, but could have murdered someone with a silver hammer, and in another scene Max is shown holding a silver hammer, both homages to the song that lends Max his name, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

When Jude takes inspiration from the bowl of strawberries, he creates a Jackson Pollock-styled "splatter" painting. This seemingly alludes to Stuart Sutcliffe, once a bassist with The Beatles, who was a painter in the Jackson Pollock style.

The intro of the film version of "If I Fell" is borrowed from The Beatles's intro to "Good Day Sunshine."

The Cavernous club seen in the UK side of the alternating vignettes at the opening of the film is the Cavern Club in Liverpool where The Beatles played in the 60s.

Apple Records, the studio owned by The Beatles, is referenced when Jude is trying to draw a green apple, then slices it in half, thus producing the two logos of the company. The close-up shows a sliced apple almost exactly as it is on the logo.

The rooftop concert toward the end of the film is a reference to the rooftop concert of The Beatles atop Apple Records' headquarters, their final public appearance. The police interrupting the show alludes to how it really was at the Beatles' last concert.

When Sadie plays at the Fillmore, she is billed as Sadie and the Po Boys, a reference to the Creedence Clearwater Revival album "Willie and the Poor Boys."

During the number "With a Little Help From My Friends," a prominent poster of actress Brigitte Bardot is a reference to John Lennon's life-long obsession with her.

The number of the building where the rooftop concert takes place is #9. This could be an allusion to the song "Revolution 9" in the White Album.

Actors singing the song 'Because' are laid in a field with their heads clustered together as a flower and their bodies resembling flower petals.

The character of JoJo is a clear reference to Jimi Hendrix. Sadie dresses him up in the purple shirt and bandanna -- one of Jimi's most famous stage costumes. JoJo also plays a Fender guitar - the same brand played by his prototype, Jimi Hendrix - however, Hendrix played a Fender Stratocaster, while JoJo plays a Fender Telecaster.

Sadie, with her fiery red hair and passionate temper, is a reference to Janis Joplin. Sadie is even seen drinking directly from a Jack Daniels bottle during her downward spiral, an action that Janis did regularly with Southern Comfort. Even Janis' throaty singing voice is used by Sadie in the movie.

While JoJo's character is a reference to Jimi Hendrix, it is also a reference to The Beatles's song "Get Back", particularly the first line "JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner/But he knew it wouldn't last."

Though the character of Sadie is a reference to Janis Joplin, it is also a reference to song "Sexy Sadie" from the White Album by The Beatles.

The painted bus and Dr. Robert (Bono) singing "I am the walrus" is a reference to psychedelic painted bus The Beatles had in their film Magical Mystery Tour (1967) (TV), as well as Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters who traveled around the United States in his bus. The punch at the party is of course then "electric" Kool Aid, just like Kesey used at his parties. Finally, when Dr. Robert stops at "Dr. Geary's" place, this refers to Timothy Leary who also experimented with LSD and was often at odds with Kesey.

Prudence's friend's name is Rita, a reference to the song "Lovely Rita" from the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles.

During the number "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", some of the text that appears in the background is taken directly from the vintage circus poster that inspired John Lennon to write the song.

During the number "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", the blue people surrounding Mr. Kite are a reference to the Blue Meanies from The Beatles animated movie: Yellow Submarine (1968).

During the underwater scene, Jude and Lucy pose in the same form as John Lennon and Yoko Ono on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine Issue 335 (Jan. 22, 1981). They were photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

This film was released in the United States on John Lennon's birthday (October 9th).

Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono were supportive during the film production, and were in touch with director Julie Taymor.

Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney and Olivia Harrison praised the film after seeing it.

Paul McCartney enjoyed a private screening together with director Julie Taymor, and expressed how much he liked the film.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:56 PM   #35
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

ABOVE CONTINUED...

During the Thanksgiving dinner scene, Lucy's and Max's grandmother remarks that "the cranberry sauce isn't as tangy as last year," referencing the use of the words "cranberry sauce" uttered by John in the song "Strawberry Fields Forever" which was often misheard as "I buried Paul," adding to the myth that Paul was dead.

A voice is heard yelling "Get Back!" when Sadie leaves the stage during "Oh! Darling."

Later in the film, Prudence locks herself in the closet and has to be serenaded out by the other cast members. This is a reference to a real occurrence in 1968 at the ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India where the Beatles, Mia Farrow, Donovan, and others were studying. Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence, was reclusive and did not leave her living quarters to join the other students, inspiring John Lennon to write the song "Dear Prudence." The film also uses the song as a subtle reference to the fictional Prudence character's reluctance to 'come out of the closet' in relation to her sexual orientation.

When Jude, Lucy, and Max are at the party for Doctor Robert (portrayed by Bono) they are seen drinking from a bowl of unknown liquid. This is a reference to the lyric, "Take a drink from his special cup, Doctor Robert" from the Beatles song "Doctor Robert."

Sadie's record company is called "Strawberry Jamz" - a play on the Beatles company "Apple Corps."

When Jude returns to find that Lucy has gone, and sinks down to the floor in grief, a trumpet - very similar to the one Ringo holds on the cover of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - is leaning against the wall under the window.

While Sadie and the Po Boys are performing, you can see a Gibson J-160E Acoustic Guitar on the stage, the same model played by John Lennon.

"Because" is sung by exactly nine actors - a reference to the way The Beatles recorded the song - the 3-part harmony vocal performance among John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison is overdubbed three times to make nine voices in all.

According to the industry trade paper Daily Variety, the filmmakers had to pay The Beatles and publisher ATV/Sony Music about $10,000,000 for the music rights to the 30 songs used in the film (roughly $330,000 for each song). As a condition of the songs' use, the advertising posters for the film did not mention "The Beatles" nor the songwriters' names.

During the "Mr. Kite" scene, Mr, Kite says "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode", which is a reference to a quote from Professor Timothy Leary.

There's a scene where Max is shown holding a silver hammer; a homage to the song that lends Max his name, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" which is made more obvious by Max tapping the hammer and creating the beat of that very song.

During Jeff Beck''s instrumental cover of "A Day In The Life", Jude is seen wearing a mack and cloth cap. This is reminiscent of Ringo's wearing the exact same clothing in during his "parading" in A Hard Day's Night (1964).

According to Julie Taymor she used 30 songs of The Beatles as a basis for the script that covers events from 1963 to 1969, but in the film those 6 years are compressed into two years.

Julie Taymor was inspired by Rafael Fracacio's O Diário de Julia (2003), a psychedelic short film, to create the lethargic experience in the bus sequence and the "I Am The Walrus" clip, in the movie.

The quote "you're either on the bus, or off the bus" is taken from the book "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test," by Tom Wolfe.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:57 PM   #36
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Continued again...

The psychedelically painted Porsche parked out in front of the (roof top concert) building was a reference to the 356C Porsche Cabriolet owned and driven by Janis Joplin.

Bono wears a hat with the word YES written across it in reference to John Lennon and Yoko Ono's first meeting in her art studio, where he found a ladder propped against a white wall. After climbing the ladder at the top he found the word "yes". When he asked Yoko why she smiled and said "would you rather it tell you no?"

Jude's mother's name is Martha, a reference to The Beatle’s song, “Martha My Dear.”

Director Julie Taymor created the part of Sadie specifically for Dana Fuchs, who DID play her in the film.

The famous Uncle Sam recruitment poster was animated to illustrate The Beatles song "I Want You."

Joe Anderson was originally being looked at to play the role of Jude, but at the audition, he told Julie Taymor that he was the character of Max and would rather audition for that role instead.

When' Jeff Beck''s instrumental cover of "A Day In The Life" plays, Jude is reading a newspaper - a reference to the lyric, "I read the news today, oh boy."

In an interview, Evan Rachel Wood and Jim Sturgess said that they were at dinner one day and heard that Ringo Starr would be attending a screening in town. They promptly booked it to the theater and watched their movie with one of the original Beatles. Sturgess then asked Starr what he thought of it. He said he enjoyed it very much.

During the performance of Strawberry Fields, the main characters watch TV. In the counter shot we see the same image projected on their faces. This is a reference to the promotional video that the Beatles made to accompany the song when it was released.

When discussing Dr. Robert's bus Sadie's manager says "Spread the word" which is a reference to The Beatles song "The Word" found on the album "Rubber Soul."

The name Molly from Jude's Liverpool Girlfriend alludes to Molly in the Beatles song "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".

Director Julie Taymor watched the premier of Across The Universe sitting next to Paul McCartney. She was nervous about what he would think so when the movie was over she asked if there was anything he didn't like about it and McCartney responded "What's not to like?" McCartney also sang along with "All My Loving" under his breath, a very moving moment for Taymor.

At the beginning when Jude is working in the ship yard, a tanker can be seen with its underside painted yellow. This is a reference to Yellow Submarine which also had a yellow underside.

Jude's life progression is similar to John Lennon's. As John Lennon did, Jude first lived in Liverpool then soon after that moved to New York City to work as an artist like Lennon. Jude then encounters trouble with the law and is deported (Lennon was arrested as well, but an attempt to deport him failed).

At college, Max generally goofs off and causes trouble. This is a reference to the song lyric, "Back in school again/Maxwell plays the fool again", from the song which gives Max his name "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:00 AM   #37
Majintaix
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyMissLizzy View Post
The Cavernous club seen in the UK side of the alternating vignettes at the opening of the film is the Cavern Club in Liverpool where The Beatles played in the 60s.
I didn't know it was called the Cavernous Club...

I liked the movie, however I only liked one cover better than the original, and that was 'If I Fell'.

"After all is said and done, you can't go pleasing everyone."
Majintaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:18 AM   #38
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I dunno. It's weird. I seem to have lost a little interest in it. I was thinking of watching it but after watching a few song sequences I got kinda bored with it. I dont hate it, but for some reason I dont take as much interest in it as I used to...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan

Last edited by lennonluvr9 : Jun 13, 2009 at 05:18 AM.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 03:34 PM   #39
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

I'm thinking of watching it again.
If I Fell was good but I felt it went too slow.
I Want To Hold Your Hand went slower, too, but it sounded okay to me. I don't run out of breath trying to sing it that way, so it must not be TOO slow. XD

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:51 AM   #40
Majintaix
Little Child

Although I liked it, I found it weird listening to just the lower part of I Wanna Hold Your Hand...if I sing along, I do the higher part, so we create harmony! And for some reason, I find that really really fun!

"After all is said and done, you can't go pleasing everyone."

Last edited by Majintaix : Jun 15, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Majintaix is offline   Reply With Quote