BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Mar 22, 2002, 10:36 PM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Storytellers - Wah Wah

This is what George writes in I MeMine;

Wah Wah was written during the Let It Be fiasco, which began with the rehearsal of the songs and ended up as the movie.
We had been away from each other after having had a very difficult time recording the White album.

That double album was so long it went on forever, and there were all kinds of other bullshit things happening in the band; pressures and problems and after that we came back from a holiday, and went straight back in the old routine.

It is that concept of how everybody sees and treats everybody else, allowing no consideration for the fact that we are changing all the time.

I remember Paul and I were trying to have an argument and the crew carried on filming and recording us (The part with ; I'll play whatever you want me to play I don't care - FPSHOT).

Anyway after one of those first mornings - I couldn't stand it; I decided this is it! - it's not fun anymore - it's very unhappy being in this band - it's a lot of crap - thank you I'm leaving.

Wah Wah was a 'headache' as well as a footpedal. It was written during the time in the film where John and Yoko were freaking out screaming - I'd left the band, gone home - and wrote this song.

Wah-wah
You've given me a wah-wah
And I'm thinking of you
And all the things that we used to do
Wah-wah, wah-wah

Wah-wah
You made me such a big star
Being there at the right time
Cheaper than a dime
Wah-wah, you've given me your wah-wah, wah-wah

Oh, you don't see me crying
Oh, you don't hear me sighing

Wah-wah
I don't need no wah-wah
And I know how sweet life can be
If I keep myself free from the wah-wah
I don't need no wah-wah

Oh, you don't see me crying
Hey baby, you don't hear me sighing
Oh, no no-no no

Wah-wah
Now I don't need no wah-wah's
And I know how sweet life can be
If I keep myself free - of wah-wah
I don't need no wah-wah

------------------
Little things that will change you forever
May appear from way out of the blue
Making fools of ev'rybody who don't understand
This is love, this is la la la-la love
George Harrison
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2002, 05:25 AM   #2
darkhorse
Sun King

Default Re: Storytellers - Wah Wah

"You don't see me crying".

It's that dreadful feeling.

I get it. Thanks FPSHOT.

------------------
"The action that I've started sometime I'll have to face,
My influence in motion rebounding back through space"
~ George, 1974
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 08:52 PM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

I put this one back on because of the discussion about this song.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:45 AM   #4
jtal909
Sun King

Thanks, FPSHOT.
so it looks like it's not really about Paul, but about the whole scene at the time.
Like many songs, it is a combination of more than one thing or feeling put into a singular term.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Legs
Sun King

That's what I was saying all along. It's not just about Paul. Sure the both of them had their arguements and Paul wasn't always fair to George, but so was John. George had his arguments with John to but that didn't end up in the film.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:07 PM   #6
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Legs:
That's what I was saying all along. It's not just about Paul. Sure the both of them had their arguements and Paul wasn't always fair to George, but so was John. George had his arguments with John to but that didn't end up in the film.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Are you referring to any "research" and assumptions by Doug Sulpy?

George himself (in 1969, I believe) said that he hadn't had a fight with with John since 1960 when they threw food at each other.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Legs
Sun King

I didn't say fights, I said arguments, like the "I play whatever you want me to play" wasn't a fight but an argument.
Also from that quote you mentioned, George did say it was the first time since 1960 that he had a serious argument with John.

[size="1"][ Jan 29, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:26 PM   #8
onosideboards
Taxman

No, George said that he didn't fight with John during the LIB rehearsals.

From a BBC radio 1 'scene and heard' interview with David Wigg in late 1969 regarding an alleged altercation with John:
"That was wrong because there was definitely no row...but the terrible thing is if you saw me walk away from the other 3 Beatles and you know that you can pick up the telephone and by glorifying it a little bit you can make 5 or 10 pound from the Daily..... (reporter laughs) All that happened is that I went home from Twickenham 'coz I was fed up of rehearsing these tunes in such a terrible atmosphere and none of us really had the direction...So I left and the guy phoned up and said I left after having a row with John which I never did because the only row I've had with John was in about 1960 and it wasn't a punch-up, It ended up with me throwing my dinner on him and he threw his dinner on me. The Beatles have been stuck in a room and an aeroplane and a car for years - now if we can't get on after that then forget it."

Admitedly, John was not very receptive to I Me Mine, but he proved to be a great proponent for working on George songs for the last two weeks.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:51 PM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Again I didn't say they had a fight, all I am saying is he didn't have a fight with Paul also.
And that the song wasn't just about Paul but about the whole situation George found himself in.

You were right tho about the part that he didn't have a row with John since 1960, I got that part wrong in my head.

[size="1"][ Jan 29, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:41 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

I tend to think that what George did, walk out, go home and for instance write this song, had to do with more than one thing.

It's clear that it happened after his little 'talk' with Paul as seen in the film.

However, I tend to believe that the basic was the changes George was going through.

He'd been in India. We've got Patti to thank, because she was the initiator so I heard [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] and there George found something which was the basis for his further life.

Then, as he writes in the I Me Mine story, he came back in this rat race which was so different from the peace he found in India.

"And I know how sweet life can be" says a lot.

Also the other things happening in and around the band did not coinside with the feelings George had picked up in India and further explored when having come back.

So, I think it was the combination of things which he did not feel happy about.

Remains the fact that the song is clearly addresses to a single person. At least that is how I have always got it from things I read and heard. But then, in that period, maybe Ringo was the only one who did not do that on record, so... big deal... other then again George was the one from the four who started something. Don't forget "Not Guilty"
Old Jan 30, 2004, 02:40 AM   #11
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I am not sure how to really say this, it is perhaps too much of a random thought. I am not trying to disagree with anyone here.
I have a hard time seeing the point of trying to interpret songs. It appears people see in them what they choose to see in them. Isn't that part of the magic of the arts? Or are we discussing our thoughts just for the pleasure of discussion? If that is the case, then it's just hard for me personally to not see the heavy persuasion to convince everyone we are right as antangonistic.

Whether the song was written in direction to one or more than one doesn't really matter to me because I interpret it the way my mind wants to.

To Rob, I know you put a lot of stock in I ME MINE, and I understand why. It is the best reference to what George meant, being in his own words and all. However, when I read that book I 'see' George having a hard time 'remembering' how some songs came to be. I believe some retrospective thinking was going on too. But anyway like I said this is a lot of random thinking on this subject..carry on....
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 04:42 AM   #12
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By sourmilkpinky:
I have a hard time seeing the point of trying to interpret songs.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I agree with you. Still, I find myself doing it from time to time, maybe just because it's so fun.

I know it's wrong to take a line from a song out of its context and then try to find some hidden meanings or indirect messages to someone. I mean how can we know what an artist meant to say with a particular word or phrase or did he mean to say nothing. A good example of this is from Imagine film where John discusses with this tramp (or whatever) about his songs. I think most of us are like that tramp sometimes, trying so hard to find out what songwriters meant. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I keep reminding myself not to interpret what other people (well at least people that I do not know personally) have said or have not said. It usually just confuses things, but like I said sometimes you just can't help doing it. Especially with Beatles songs. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But carry on dear friends, it's fun to read these interpretations - and take them with a pinch of salt. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 04:56 AM   #13
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Personally I like to interpret alot of 'lines' are meant to be directed at me, to me and only for me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:57 PM   #14
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By sourmilkpinky:
I am not sure how to really say this, it is perhaps too much of a random thought. I am not trying to disagree with anyone here.
I have a hard time seeing the point of trying to interpret songs. It appears people see in them what they choose to see in them. Isn't that part of the magic of the arts? Or are we discussing our thoughts just for the pleasure of discussion?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Personally, when reading lyrics and trying to understand them, I try to combine the words with what I know about George.

Not to give this a negative attitude at all, but on Wah Wah, I believe he cried out some things which had been on his mind already for long. "Not Guilty" and especially the version The Beatles recorded, was one of them too.

I don't think I Me Mine, the book, was the first time George gave some insight in the lyrics of the song. I believe also in interviews about the album when it was released, this song was discussed.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:22 PM   #15
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Legs:

You were right tho about the part that he didn't have a row with John since 1960, I got that part wrong in my head.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That was really the only point I was trying to make. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:07 AM   #16
jtal909
Sun King

When someone writes a song, the ideas and images flow, and are not always specific. especially with the Beatles. They were always coy and cryptic in their writings.

George sits down all fed up with the mess and words start pouring out. He transcends the one dimensional level of Paul getting on his nerves and the metaphors come flying.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:44 AM   #17
FPSHOT
Sun King

I am reading the 2nd book by Khaled Hosseini who wrote The Kite Runner and there is a "translation" words list of Afghan/Arabic words, which says

wah wah (Afghanistan/Arabic) = bravo (English)

I don't think George knew that

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 25, 2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:51 PM   #18
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Thank you FPSHOT, i just love that song but i haven't heard it in a while. Those George quotes are rather provocative, some very cosmic lyrics to boot.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:16 PM   #19
FPSHOT
Sun King

When you feel let down and not listened to by a long time friend then a lot bubbles up inside huh... and comes out in different ways. When you play the early demo of the song it is still quite "shy" compared to how it appeared on the album. Some reviews say the riff sounds a bit like "I've Got A Feeling...a feeling deep inside...oh yeah".. well maybe there was a link?

Last edited by FPSHOT : Dec 01, 2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:29 PM   #20
nattyintheskywithdiamonds
Nowhere Man

goodnight FP!