BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old May 23, 2008, 07:21 AM   #41
thesnake
Fool On The Hill

Default Anyone going to Kiev?

Hi all,

New to the forum so please take it easy on me!

Is anyone going to Kiev for Macca's gig next month? My dad's turning 60 soon, plus it's Father's Day, so I thought it would be a great way to mark the occasion!

I'd be interested to speak to anyone who's going. Maybe we could meet up for a few bevvies?!

Snake
thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 08:32 AM   #42
jesgear
Sun King

GG?

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 03:37 AM   #43
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

YUP there are a few of us going. There is a thread dedicated to it....let me find it for you...
Old May 26, 2008, 03:39 AM   #44
Lucy

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...highlight=Kiev
Old May 26, 2008, 01:43 PM   #45
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Go, Sir Paul! Back in the USSR!
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:08 AM   #46
FPSHOT
Sun King

The Russian Beatles fanclub have sent a petition to Paul to add Mrs. Vandebilt to the score list

Dear sir Paul McCartney,

We would like to ask you to do us a great favour and review your set-list for the forthcoming concert in the Independence Square in Kiev.

During your first visit to the former USSR in 2003 you performed “Back In The USSR” twice as it was a special request at the Moscow concert. We do hope to hear “Back In The USSR” in Kiev, too. But since the concert will not be part of your tour, but rather a kind of an extraordinary event, we would appreciate if it could have some “special feature”.

Strange as it may seem, it happened historically that “Mrs Vandebilt” was one of most famous and favourite songs of yours among the soviet people. The “iron curtain” prevented us from hearing much of the rock’n’roll music. But “Mrs Vandebilt” was the song that everybody knew and loved. It shook up all the country in the mid 70’s, and the lyrics in the refrain “Ho hey ho” could be heard at parties as well as at communist demonstrations, and they were repeated by people of all ages. And nowadays it is still something that unites Ukrainian and Russian Beatles fans and reminds us of those days.

Another reason why we are so particular about this song is that the words in the refrain sound very much like the Ukrainian interjection «Гоп» [hop], so the song has a kind of national colouring.

We know that you like to sing with the audience. “Hey Jude” proves this perfectly. And imagine a crowd of many thousands of fans singing along “HO HEY HO!”. Would not that be something marvellous?..!

In your address to the Ukraine you said: “It’s gonna be a great evening, and a great evening hopefully for the Ukraine”. It is sure to be a great evening, but "Mrs Vandebilt" would make it twice as great!

So, the Beatles.ru club would be very grateful to you if you consider the possibility of performing this song on June, 14 in the Independence Square, Kiev.

Thank you for your attention,
Yours sincerely,
The Beatles.ru club.

Watch here in different languages

http://www.beatles.ru/special/kiev/news.asp?id=3743

Also, there was a special announcement on Ukraine TV which was nice to listen to

http://www.beatles.ru/special/kiev/news.asp?id=3772

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:10 AM   #47
Grace
Bulldog

Send a message via ICQ to Grace Send a message via MSN to Grace

It's true. "Mrs. Vandebilt" is probably more popular in Russia (and in Ukraine I suppose) than "Hey Jude"
"NO WORRIES! It was an amazing phrase. It was practically magical all by itself. It just ... made things better. A shark's got your leg? No worries. You've been stung by a jellyfish? No worries! You're dead? She'll be all right! No worries!" (Terry Pratchett - "The Last Continent")
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:12 AM   #48
FPSHOT
Sun King

Also, the Ukraine TV showed preparations which are going on for the Kiev concert

http://www.beatles.ru/special/kiev/news.asp?id=3766

http://www.beatles.ru/special/kiev/news.asp?id=3729

http://www.beatles.ru/special/kiev/news.asp?id=3707

30.000 people are expected to be at the concert. Paul and the band will arrive June 13th and Paul will open the special art gallery on the 14th. Be there !!!

This Russian Beatles fanclub is preparing a special exhibition called "Beatles in Ukraine" which will open it's doors on the 13th.

Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:13 AM   #49
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
It's true. "Mrs. Vandebilt" is probably more popular in Russia (and in Ukraine I suppose) than "Hey Jude"
Maybe you can add some translation here Grace from those TV things?

Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:38 AM   #50
Lucy

I am getting so excited about this! This time next week, OBC and I will be on our way there!!!!
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:41 AM   #51
Grace
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Maybe you can add some translation here Grace from those TV things?
I would love to but my Internet is slow - I can't watch videos.
"NO WORRIES! It was an amazing phrase. It was practically magical all by itself. It just ... made things better. A shark's got your leg? No worries. You've been stung by a jellyfish? No worries! You're dead? She'll be all right! No worries!" (Terry Pratchett - "The Last Continent")
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:50 AM   #52
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
What other 'unusual' songs are popular in Russia?
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2008, 03:14 AM   #53
Grace
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5 View Post
What other 'unusual' songs are popular in Russia?
It's difficult to say, because I live in Russia so it's ususal to me that they are popular (does that make sence?). Well, "Monkberry Moon Delight" is very popular here.
Surprisingly, "Hey Jude" isn't popular. I mean, those who are not interested in the Beatles, don't know this song. Everyone knows "Yesterday", "Let It Be", "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", "Yellow Submarine", "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" and sometimes "Back in the USSR".
Old Jun 06, 2008, 03:37 AM   #54
starstruck
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to starstruck Send a message via MSN to starstruck Send a message via Skype™ to starstruck

I am soooooooo happy to be living through OBC and Lucy but really kicking myself that I didn't get off my bottom and get a flight when I should've done! Waaaaaaahhhhh!

Oh well, i've been so lucky in the past i'm not going to kick myself *too* hard...

Have a gorgeous time girlies!

All my friends are pirates and they sail the BBC....
starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:10 AM   #55
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Well, "Monkberry Moon Delight" is very popular here.
finally some recognition for this fantastic song

Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:14 AM   #56
Grace
Bulldog

Quote:
finally some recognition for this fantastic song
Yes, I love it too. I've heard there was a big poll in Russia some years ago: "What's the best McCartney song?" This song won the poll.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 11:24 AM   #57
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I am getting so excited about this! This time next week, OBC and I will be on our way there!!!!
YAY Lucy!! We will have such a fab time and looks like it will be as big as last weekend!! I am so EXCITED and looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
I am soooooooo happy to be living through OBC and Lucy but really kicking myself that I didn't get off my bottom and get a flight when I should've done! Waaaaaaahhhhh!

Oh well, i've been so lucky in the past i'm not going to kick myself *too* hard...

Have a gorgeous time girlies!
Awwwwww!! Thanks starstruck, I wish you could be with us too! We will have a good time and will report back to you from Kiev you can count on that!!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney

Last edited by oldbeatlechick : Jun 06, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:45 AM   #58
Lucy

Quote:
In addition to the concert the Victor Pinchuk Foundation will also be exhibiting 40 of Paul's paintings at the Pinchuk Art Centre, the largest in Eastern Europe. This will be Paul’s first exhibition in this part of the world. His first art exhibition was in Siegen, Germany in 1999. Paul will personally open the exhibition.
Does anyone know what date this opens? I have done some googling but can't seem to find more than this info.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:42 AM   #59
FPSHOT
Sun King

Maybe it's been posted somewhere here already but here is a link to a special video message from Paul and the Band for the Kiev gig

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#

and

1) Congratulations on your Liverpool show. Great show, great reviews. How was it for you?

PM: It was a great day. We had a lot of fun. The audience was fantastic too. It’s always great playing to a home crowd. Playing in Liverpool brings back a lot of great memories for me.

2) Are you looking forward to Saturday? The UK press said that if Anfield had a roof you would have blown it off. Well if Independence Sq had a roof would you blow that off too?

PM: We definitely hope to. Perhaps this time we will knock their socks off instead! Saturday's going to be a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Every time I speak to someone who has been to Kiev before they keep telling me what a great place it is with lots of history.

3) Playing to 36,000 people is one thing but to hundreds of thousands is something else! How do you prepare for a show of this size?

PM: Well in the same way really. You pick the setlist and what you think will work as a starting point and take it from there. We have to rehearse this one as we would for any out-door or stadium show. Everything is on a slightly larger scale.

4) How is your Ukrainian?

PM: Fabulous. Ha! No, I’m taking lessons.

5) The Ukraine media have been voting for their favourite all time Paul McCartney song. Do you have an all time favourite Ukrainian song?

PM: I heard a Ukrainian cover of She Loves You, which I thought was pretty cool.

6) 'Dance Tonight' went down really well in Liverpool. Can we expect anything else from Memory Almost Full on Saturday?

PM: I'm keeping the setlist close to my chest at the moment. We don't want to give anything away ahead of the performance otherwise there will be no surprises. So I’m not telling anyone!

7) We know you can play many instruments but can you play the Kobza?

PM: Yes, I play it every night (joking)

The kobza (is a traditional Ukrainian stringed instrument, of the lute family)

8) 'The Ukraine Girls really knock me out', discuss...

PM: They leave the west behind...

9) First Liverpool, now Kiev, there are plenty of rumours about a tour, any truth in the rumours?

PM: A tour is being talked about but there is no definite news at the moment.

10) You have just donated a new track, recorded as The Fireman to the Adopt A Minefield charity - any further Fireman plans?

PM: We have recorded an album and hope to release it sometime later this year. Watch this space.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 11, 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:54 AM   #60
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Does anyone know what date this opens? I have done some googling but can't seem to find more than this info.
There is a lot of general info about the concert and all around it here

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...en&fr=avbbf-us

It's the Russian Beatles fanclub website which has an English translation option and has info about the museum.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 11, 2008 at 08:57 AM.