BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:42 AM   #61
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I pass the Court on my way to work on the bus and even before 8am today there was press gathering.

Who's looking happiest? Macca and Heather arrive to hear judge's verdict in bitter divorce battle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills have arrived to hear the final judgement concerning their protracted divorce settlement negotiations.

The end of the couple's short-lived marriage is set for a final dramatic showdown, with a huge payout for Mills, which some quarters predict will net her up to £46million - but the pair are still to decide what details will be made public.

Sir Paul arrived at court 34 at 10.15am and was followed shortly by Miss Mills. He was wearing a dark grey overcoat and she wore a grey, blue and green three-piece suit and blouse.

Showdown: Sir Paul McCartney arrives for his high court showdown, as does estranged wife Heather Mills, at the High Court, in London today

Ms Mills swept past massed ranks of media photographers and cameramen in a black limo, accompanied by four advisers.

In a sharply-tailored brown and blue trouser suit with a bright red shirt, she strode purposefully into the building with her blonde hair flying.

Mr Justice Bennett was delivering the details of his decision in private, but was expected to take instructions from the parties over whether any details should be made public so as to end media speculation.

But insiders suggest neither party is likely to object to basic details being released. The decision over releasing any details will be made when both parties agree.

Judgement day: McCartney with high-powered lawyer Fiona Shackleton who has been in charge of the protracted and tense settlement negotiations

Ahead of the settlement agreement, Heather has apparently backed down and agreed to stop her public attacks on Sir Paul.

She has stripped her website of a short film of the paparazzi 'hounding her', removed pictures of the couple together and taken down her blog.

Only a link remains to the website with a notice saying "website coming soon".

And Heather's sudden adoption of a lower online profile has coincided with what is hoped will be the warring couple's final day in court.

A source told The Sun: "It seems very strange that the day before she's due in court to officially hear how much she's getting from Paul her inflammatory website is suddenly empty.

"It may be that she is going to make a fresh start, or update it, but it all seems too much of a coincidence."

The warring couple spent six days in court last month in an acrimonious battle to decide the slice Miss Mills should have of the former Beatle's purported £825 million fortune after four years of marriage.

After months of backbiting and counter-claims, the former Beatle, 65, is likely to hand out one of the biggest divorce payments ever seen in the UK.

Miss Mills, 40, who was married to Sir Paul for four years, is expected to receive a £25million lump sum up front.

She also hopes to land up to £1.5million a year as main carer of the couple's four-year-old daughter Beatrice, until the child is 18.

Details of the settlement were said to be contained in a preliminary High Court judgment sent to the estranged couple and their legal advisers this week.

There has been speculation that Miss Mills, a former model, wants to keep the decision under wraps, in case Sir Paul is seen as the victor.

He is believed to be keen to end the speculation over how much of his assets Sir Paul will be forced to hand over.

Sir Paul's legal team has reportedly denied he is worth £835million. Miss Mills alleges the figure is more than £1billion.

The lump sum may be made public but any maintenance deal for Beatrice could remain confidential.

Although one or both parties may want to keep the settlement secret, if either chooses to appeal, it may still become public. Appeal hearings of private Family Division cases are held in public.

This would mean the settlement would be in the open - along with deals covering gagging orders, security arrangements, properties, and custody of Beatrice.

Depending on the level of the annual payment, the settlement could become the biggest in British divorce history.

The highest divorce payout awarded by a court was the £48million made to Beverley Charman after her 28-year marriage to insurance magnate John Charman.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:43 AM   #62
Lucy

and another...

McCartneys Back For Divorce Deal Details

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...309326,00.html
Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney is back in court to learn how much of his estimated £825m fortune he must hand over to his estranged wife Heather Mills.

Heather Mills could get up to £60mThe ex couple have returned to the High Court's Family Division wing in London to discover Mr Justice Bennett's private decision.

There has been speculation that it could be the most expensive divorce in British legal history with Sir Paul, 65, forced to pay out anything from £10m up to £60m.

The pair, who split in May 2006 after four years together, failed to come to an agreement during a six-day hearing at the High Court in February.

It is expected that at least some of Mr Justice Bennett's ruling will be made public because of the intense interest and speculation.

If either Sir Paul or former model Ms Mills dispute the verdict, the case will be heard in public at the Court of Appeal.

The divorce has been closely followed by the world's media.

Ms Mills has threatened to sue newspapers over lurid stories about her past and gave an emotional television interview in which she accused the media of branding her a "gold-digger".

Marilyn Stowe, one of the country's leading divorce lawyers, told Sky News the main consideration would be the couple's child, four-year-old Beatrice.

McCartney: said to be worth £825mShe said: "I expect the judge will meet Ms Mills' needs based on her standard of living during the marriage, but the needs of the child will be central.

"Anything between £10m and £20m would give a fantastic lifestyle to anybody."

Ms Stowe expects a conservative judgment.

"Paul McCartney was an icon before Heather was even born. Much of his wealth was amassed before their short marriage.

"Heather Mills has been desperately hurt by the way this has been done, but that doesn't affect what is a fair financial settlement."

The biggest divorce payment in British legal history currently stands at £48m which was paid by insurance magnate John Charman to his wife Beverley.

Mr Charman lost his appeal against the ruling after a judge ruled it was a fair reflection of her contribution to the marriage.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:54 AM   #63
Asha
Sun King

http://omg.yahoo.com/mccartney-mills...ourt/news/7518

Mills awarded $48.6M from McCartney

LONDON - A judge awarded Heather Mills a total of $48.6 million Monday in the financial settlement of her divorce from former Beatle Paul McCartney.

A document released by the Family Court said the judge awarded Mills a lump sum of $33 million plus the assets she currently holds worth $15.6 million.

"I'm so, so happy with this," Mills told reporters following the closed hearing.

The court also ruled that the couple's 4-year-old daughter Beatrice should receive a "periodical payments order" of $70,000 per annum. On top of that, McCartney will pay for the child's nanny and school fees.

Mills had sought almost $250 million, while McCartney had said she should receive $31.6 million, including her own assets, which the court assessed at $15.6 million.

Judge Hugh Bennett found that the total value of all of McCartney's assets, including his business assets, was about $800 million. He said there was no evidence to support the widely published figure that was more than twice as much.

McCartney left the court without making any statement.

"I'm so glad it's over," Mills said at her impromptu news conference.

"It was an incredible result in the end to secure mine and my daughter's future and that of all the charities that I obviously plan on helping and making a difference with — because you know it has been my life for 20 years," she said.

"Obviously the court do not want a litigant in person to do well, it's against everything that they ever wish, so when they write the judgment up they're never going to make it look in favor.

"But all of you that have researched know that it was always going to be a figure between 20 and 30 million (pounds), Paul was offering a lot less than that, which you'll see in the judgment, and very much last minute to put me and Beatrice sadly through this ... incredibly sad."
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:00 AM   #64
Asha
Sun King

Just a thought...

I still find it interesting that someone who was not "in it for the money" is so pleased with the amount she's getting. & then, saying that because of this amount she'll be able to do charity work? Well if she was doing it before without the money, why does she now need the money to continue? There are many people in the world who support charities & do work for them who are not millionaires. Very odd statements.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:38 AM   #65
hibgal
Sun King

Default So much for silence...

Heather Mills launches astonishing court rant after winning £24.3m divorce payout

Last updated at 15:24pm on 17th March 2008

Heather Mills this afternoon announced that she has accepted a £24.3million divorce deal before launching an attack on Sir Paul McCartney, his lawyers and the legal system.

Ms Mills, 40, speaking on the steps of the High Court, said she was hitting out after the judge in the case ruled that details of the divorce should be made public.

It emerged that she had sought nearly £125million and that McCartney had offered her £15.8million.

Heather Mills launched an astonishing tirade after securing £24.3 million in her divorce settlement in London today
Enlarge the image

Ms Mills said she was “very, very happy” with the settlement and a summary of the judgment was published today.

But the former model will appeal against Mr Justice Bennett's plans to release it in full at a further hearing tomorrow.

Launching a non-stop stream of criticism, Ms Mills raged against Sir Paul, the judge and McCartney's lawyer Fiona Shackleton.

She said: “Fiona Shackleton has very sadly handled this case in the worst manner you could ever imagine. She has called me many, many names before meeting me when I was in a wheelchair.”

The former model addressed the media on the steps of London's High Court today
Ms Mills also launched an angry outburst against her husband's victory on where their daughter would live and how much she would get each year.

“Beatrice gets £35,000 a year. She is meant to travel B-class when her father travels A-class.

“Paul has always wanted Beatrice to go to a state school. He insisted that he wanted us to move to that area [East Sussex] - £35,000 includes. £17,000 for school fees.”

“He tried to get our daughter with joint residency, even though we had gone 50-50. In that way he has got everything he wanted, but that's what powerful people get.”

Ms Mills complained about the judge's assessment of her husband's wealth.

“He also said that Paul is only worth £400 million. Everyone knows that he has been worth £800 million for the last 15 years.

"Paul has always wanted it public because he wants to look like generous Sir Paul."

“I was locked out of every home. I really hope now that me and my daughter can have a life and not be followed every day. Apart from one television thing I have stayed quiet for 21 months. If the judgment had been kept private I would not be out here speaking.”

She added: “I can't leave England. Believe me if I tried to go he'd have an injunction on me in a second.”

Describing herself as a "campaigning girl" she called on people to represent themselves in court but urged couples to do their best to resolve their problems immediately.

She said: "I'm so glad it's over, it was an incredible result in the end to secure mine and my daughter's future and that of all the charities that I obviously plan on helping and making a difference with - because you know it has been my life for 20 years.

"Obviously the court do not want a litigant in person to do well, it's against everything that they ever wish, so when they write the judgment up they're never going to make it look in favour.

"But all of you that have researched know that it was always going to be a figure between £20 and £30 million, Paul was offering a lot less than that, which you'll see in the judgment, and very much last minute to put me and Beatrice sadly through this ... incredibly sad."

Scroll down for more...

Sir Paul McCartney simply said 'thank-you' as he left the court this afternoon
Asked if she thought Sir Paul had been "cruel", she said: "I can't say that for the sake of my daughter but my sister does."

She added: "I'm going to go and be with my daughter because I took so much time away from her."

Paying tribute to her sister's support, she added: "Every time I look at her, I want to cry."

Sir Paul left the court quickly, saying simply "thank-you" as he waved to the cameras.

The judge decided Sir Paul should pay a lump sum of £16.5million together with her assets of £7.8million including her homes.

“This means she exits her marriage with total assets of £24.3million inclusive of a deemed figure of £500,000 referable to her overspending in the period of separation,” said the judge.

The judge said that the couple had met in 1999 and started a relationship but did not live together until the start of their marriage on 11 June 2002.

He found against the claim that they had co-habited from March 2000.

The couple separated in April 2006 so the marriage lasted less than four years.

The judge also refused permission for both Ms Mills and Sir Paul to raise any issues alleging bad conduct on the grounds that it was “irrelevant”.

Judgement day: McCartney with high-powered lawyer Fiona Shackleton who has been in charge of the protracted and tense settlement negotiations
Earlier, instead of rubber-stamping the deal, the couple had spent another morning behind closed courtroom doors, thrashing out the smallprint.

McCartney was first to arrive at the Royal Courts of Justice, accompanied by his solicitor Miss Shackleton. He strode purposefully into Court 34 at around 10.15.

Minutes later Ms Mills was driven in through the court's main gates.

She was flanked by her sister Fiona, personal trainer Ben Amigoni and a minder.

Ms Mills smiled at waiting reporters, saying: “I'm sorry, I can't make any comment.”

A case scheduled to be heard first in the wood-panelled Court 34 was moved aside to allow discussions to get under way at 10.30.

Link to article (some pics of Paul too)
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:03 AM   #66
Asha
Sun King

"Paul has always wanted it public because he wants to look like generous Sir Paul."

Hmm... I think he wanted it public to get everyone to stop speculating & to stop bothering him & Heather.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:20 AM   #67
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I think it speaks volumes that the second they are no longer gagged and are actually able to discuss this, you see a picture of her completely surrounded by reporters (for the pic, follow this link discussing details of the case: http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/5185 ), and she is talking and talking and talking, and the only thing I can find that Paul said immediately following is "All will be revealed". Good for him for showing his maturity. He has a lot more patience and wisdom than I do! I'm sure the temptation is there for him to spout off as Heather has, but he has not.

I'm thrilled she only get 24 million. It's more than she deserves, but it's a lot less than most people said, and definitely a lot less than she was asking for.

It's interesting that she doesn't want the details to be published, and yet Paul does. To me this says there are negative things about Heather that she doesn't want people to know. As I suspected from the beginning, Paul would be shown to be a man of great character. I'm glad that she hasn't shaken that.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:55 AM   #68
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Yes a satisfactory end to a nasty business for both parties and I believe Paul has come out of this as the genuine man he is and the judge was not going to be swayed by Heather's tactics and bluster! The judge deems Paul to be worth somewhat less than Heather was telling everyone! Mind you we all live on a lot less than she got!!

And yes....she does love the reporters doesn't she? Couldn't wait to be surrounded while Paul left in a very dignified manner! I agree it speaks volumes!

Rock on Paul see you in Liverpool!!!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:58 AM   #69
Hari's Chick

Good thing it is finally over.

I saw the video of Heather's "rant" and it just goes to show (again) how reporters twist things. She seemed intelligent and polite. Wow, she has some opinions. You know, folks who want her to keep her head to the ground and mumble softly... lol?? Why? She has a right to her opinions and she articulates them well.

Heather got Paul through some rough times and none of us can speculate what that woman went through. If Heather wants the money to be able to do more for charity... that is a noble cause. Perhaps she sees herself as a female Robin Hood. Is Paul really going to suffer if he has *only* 750 million pounds left in his bank account?

Also, Paul wants the specifics of the settlement public, not the private stuff between he and Heather. It is Paul who wants the marital stuff kept private. Which is fine, too... that is between he and Heather and the judge.

The truth is, Paul and Heather are both probably lovely people who just did not get along. At least Heather is airing her issues to Paul's face, instead of writing a book about him after he would pass someday, as other ex wives have. She has the courage to own her feelings and I respect that.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:07 PM   #70
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post

I agree with that, I very glad this is all done with.

If toast always lands butter side down and cats always land on their feet. Then what happens when you strap toast to a cat and drop it.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:37 PM   #71
kazgirl
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Absolutely but one wonders over what the worlds media will focus on, surely not real news?
kaz
when it all works out,
it doesn't matter much to me
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:04 AM   #72
Lucy

Thumbs down Wet It Be

How absolutely PATHETIC! AND she has admitted it. So totallu childish and disgusting.

Here is am image gallery...

Wet It Be

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...309671,00.html

and here is an article...

Heather ends bitter divorce battle by throwing water over Macca's lawyer - and reporting her for 'insults'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

Heather Mills is intensifying her bitter war with her husband's divorce lawyer Fiona Shackleton.

Having thrown a jug of water over Ms Shackleton at the High Court yesterday, Ms Mills is now threatening to report her to the Law Society for professional misconduct over allegations that she called her names.

Miss Mills threw water over her former husband's lawyer and then laughingly announced that she had been "baptised in court."

This was followed by an astonishing 12-minute rant on the court steps.

She accused Ms Shackleton, nicknamed the “Steel Magnolia”, of “calling me many, many names before even meeting me when I was in a wheelchair”.

According to sources, Ms Mills is planning to report Ms Shackleton to the Law Society, the body that regulates solicitors, over alleged comments made during negotiations leading up to yesterday's settlement.

Fiona Shackleton arrives perfectly coiffed ... and leaves bedraggled following her drenching
Read more...

£700 for every hour of their marriage ... but Heather Mills is STILL moaning
Heather questions judge's claim that Macca's 'only' worth £400m...not £800m
The full transcript of Heather Mills' court tirade

A source said: “Mills believes that Shackleton accused her of trying it on by appearing at one legal meeting in a wheelchair to gain sympathy. “More than anyone else, Mills felt this woman had a personal grudge against her. She felt personally attacked by Fiona Shackleton.”

Ms Shackleton, her reputation now secured as perhaps the finest and certainly most feared divorce lawyer in the country, could for her part take the fight to Ms Mills.

The source said: “If Fiona Shackleton wants to, she could press for Heather Mills to be found in contempt of court.”

Ms Shackleton, who also represented Prince Charles in his divorce, has refused to comment, pointing out it is her policy never to speak to the media.

Miss Mills' outburst came after she was awarded only a fifth of the £125million she had been seeking.

The £25million settlement amounts to more than £700 for every hour that she was married to Sir Paul.

But she was furious at the judge's decision to grant his request that the full judgment in the case be made public, and will appeal against it today.

Miss Mills is understood to have hurled a glass of water at Sir Paul's lawyer after accusing her of "letting down womankind" by representing men in the divorce courts.

Mrs Shackleton, whose normally immaculate blonde coiffure was wet and bedraggled, left the Royal Courts of Justice through a rear exit with Sir Paul.

A wet and bedraggled Fiona Shackleton leaves court with Paul McCartney yesterday

He said simply: "I have no comment. All will be revealed."

By this time Miss Mills was on the front steps delivering an angry tirade against her ex, his lawyers, her lawyers and the entire legal system.

She confirmed that she had been awarded £24.3million compared with the £125million which court papers revealed she had demanded.

The amount is made up of a £14million lump sum, calculated as an annual allowance of £600,000, plus another £2.5million to buy a London home.

When she left court Heather Mills claimed she was treated badly by Fiona Shackleton
The rest comprises assets she will keep from the marriage totalled at £7.8million, which include a property in East Sussex where she lives with their four-year-old daughter Beatrice.

In addition, she will receive £35,000 a year for Beatrice's expenses until she reaches 18. That figure does not include childcare or schooling, which Sir Paul will also fund.

Miss Mills's chances of gaining £125million collapsed after the judge ruled that the musician was worth £400million rather than the £800million she had claimed.

It was also reduced after Sir Paul's legal team argued successfully that they did not live together before they married.

McCartney's lawyers turned out to be worth their weight in gold.

They advised him to take a gamble and back out of a £50million mutually-agreed settlement on the basis that they thought a High Court judge would award a lot less. It was advice which saved him some £25million.

In her impromptu press conference, Miss Mills criticised the ruling that Sir Paul was worth £400million, saying: "We all know he's worth £800million. He's been worth £800million for the last 15 years."

She then criticised the judge for believing that they never lived together before they married, citing electoral roll evidence to the contrary.

Normally in cases at the Family Court, matters remain private but Sir Paul is said to be keen to end the speculation over his finances and wants the details out in the open.

However Miss Mills argues that it will put her and their daughter's security at risk by revealing where she will go to school.

In a barbed remark, she said her ex-husband wanted the details published because "he wants to look like this generous Sir Paul."

Today, in the Court of Appeal, a panel of three judges will decide whether to uphold yesterday's decision to publish the full ruling.

The court also made an order yesterday stating that, save for the release of the judgment, neither party could reveal details of the case without obtaining the consent of the other.

Family law expert Donna Dean said Miss Mills had already shown "scant regard" for this order.

"Her comments outside court could land her in hot water. If she has breached this order then she could be in contempt and hauled back before the judge to explain herself.

"It would have been much more sensible and dignified for her to have kept quiet and walked away content with her lot."

Last night, Miss Mills removed all references to her ex-husband from her website and changed her name on it from Heather Mills McCartney to Heather Mills.

A close friend said that in private she was devastated about being awarded so little. "In court it is clear that she just got too cocky.

"The worst thing she could have done was represent herself. On quite a few occasions, Heather was just too brusque with the judge and would talk over him.

High Court judges don't take kindly to being ranted at. Heather just came across as incredibly greedy."
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:08 AM   #73
Lucy

PS: I am at work and doing this fast hence the typos! haahaa! Tried to edit but it won't let me!
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:25 AM   #74
Legs
Sun King

I think her hair looked better on the after picture.

But yes a very childish thing to do, I hope Heather do the wise thing and doesn't apaear in public for a very long time.
Having an opinion and not being afraid to say what she things is one thing, but things like this doesn't do her or anyone else any good.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:00 AM   #75
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

How ridiculous! Heather has a major problem keeping her temper in check. I hope for Bea's sake that she stops acting completely ridiculous.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:04 AM   #76
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Part of me actually hopes that Mills is as shallow, money-grabbing and vain as she often makes herself look (I mean, hell... having an end-of-settlement party ???).

Otherwise, once she's done counting all of her cash, no... all of PAUL's cash, she'll then realize that's she's scr... herself up... bad, and painted herself into a corner... as far as what she's got left in her life, and where this leaves her in the public eye (which seems sooo important to her)...

... and I don't mean the type of stigma that goes away after just a couple of years, or an appeance on a "Dancing with the stars" type of show !

Then, she'll have to face having to kiss Beatrice goodbye avery couple of weeks or whatever.

No, really... "where" does someone like her "go" now ?

Can't say I feel the least bit sorry for her...

Last edited by ABCKO : Mar 18, 2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:42 AM   #77
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Miss Mills is understood to have hurled a glass of water at Sir Paul's lawyer after accusing her of "letting down womankind" by representing men in the divorce courts.
Seriously?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:59 AM   #78
Lucy

HAAHAAAA! The judgement is now released!! Less than impressive witness says the Judge!

Judge brands Heather 'less than candid' as full divorce details are released

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

The judgement on the bitter divorce battle between Heather Mills and Sir Paul McCartney was published today, describing the former model as "less than candid" and her evidence as "inaccurate".

In an exhaustive 58-page document, Mr Justice Bennett praises Sir Paul for his "balanced" evidence but repeatedly criticises Ms Mills and describes her as a "less than impressive witness".

He also accuses the former model of exaggerating her own wealth, of indulging in "make-belief" and falsely claiming she helped revive the former Beatle's career.

The judgement was released in full less than an hour after she lost the final stage in the divorce battle in which she had appealed for the finer details of the ruling to be kept secret.

One section read: "The husband's evidence was, in my judgment, balanced. He expressed himself moderately though at times with justifiable irritation, if not anger.

"He was consistent, accurate and honest.

"But I regret to have to say I cannot say the same about the wife's evidence.

"Having watched and listened to her give evidence, having studied the documents, and having given in her favour every allowance for the enormous strain she must have been under (and in conducting her own case) I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid. Overall she was a less than impressive witness."

Miss Mills, 40, had argued that the complex details in the ruling could compromise the security of her four-year-old daughter, Beatrice.

But there were also rumours she might want to avoid its publication because it contained disparaging remarks about her conduct.

That theory appeared to be borne out in the judgement, which contained astonishing detail about the couple's relationship and does not hold back in criticism of Ms Mills.

In one section, Mr Justice Bennett lambasts her for her "make-belief" and her claims she was responsible for resurrecting Sir Paul's career.

He says: "I have to say that the wife's evidence that in some way she was the husband's “psychologist”, even allowing for hyperbole, is typical of her make-belief.

"I reject her evidence that she, vis-à-vis the husband, was anything more than a kind and loving person who was deeply in love with him, helped him through his grieving and like any new wife tried to integrate into their relationship the children of his former marriage.

"I wholly reject her account that she rekindled the husband's professional flame and gave him back his confidence."

In another, he claims Ms Mills exaggerated how much money she was making when the couple met, and subsequently lost because her career was "blighted" when she married Sir Paul, to ensure she was given more in the divorce settlement.

"I find that the wife's case as to her wealth in 1999 to be wholly exaggerated," he says.

"The assertion that she was a wealthy person in 1999 is, of course, the first step in her overall case that her career, which in 1999 she says was one producing rich financial rewards, was thereafter blighted by the husband during their relationship.

"It is therefore connected to the issue of “compensation”.

A further barb to Ms Mills comes in his discussion of Sir Paul's continued connection to his late wife Linda, who died in 1998.

The judge says: "Their marriage endured for some 30 years. Repeatedly in his evidence the husband described how even during his relationship with the wife in 1999 to 2002 he was grieving for Linda.

"I have no doubt the husband found the wife very attractive. But equally I have no doubt that he was still very emotionally tied to Linda."

He continues: "It is not without significance that until the husband married the wife he wore the wedding ring given to him by Linda.

"Upon being married to the wife he removed it and it was replaced by a ring given to him by the wife.

"The wife for her part must have felt rather swept off her feet by a man as famous as the husband.

"I think this may well have warped her perception leading her to indulge in make-belief. The objective facts simply do not support her case."

Ms Mills is understood to have been difficult with Mr Justice Bennett during a six-day hearing last month.

And yesterday, she did not do herself any favours when she soaked McCartney's lawyer Fiona Shackleton in the High Court.

She then went on the steps of the Royal Courts of Justice and unleashed a torrent of abuse directed at Sir Paul, his lawyers, her former lawyers, the judge in the case and indeed the entire legal system in this country.

Against that background it is perhaps no surprise that her appeal was today denied.

On Monday, Judge Hugh Bennett awarded Mills a £24.3 million divorce settlement for her four-year marriage to the former Beatle.

He said then that the whole of his judgment should be released but stayed that decision after Ms Mills announced her intention to appeal.

The former model was not in court today to hear the two Court of Appeal rule that the decision by the divorce hearing judge Mr Justice Bennett to publish the full judgement should stand.

She was instead represented by David Rosen, who had sat with her throughout the six-day hearing last month as she represented herself.

Mr Rosen said in court today that Ms Mills was worried security arrangements involving Beatrice would be made public if the whole judgement was released.

"Miss Mills believes her daughter will be put in real danger. It is most disturbing," he told Lords Justices Thorpe and Wall.

But the pair decided the judgement's publication was a matter for Mr Justice Bennett and should not be over-ruled.

Lord Justice Wall said: "This is a classic example of the exercise by a judge of judicial discretion.

"This was a highly unusual case which has generated a lot of public interest and publication of the judgment was a matter for the judge."

The decision will be a massive blow to Ms Mills, who yesterday emerged from court triumphant after her settlement with Sir Paul was announced.

She went on to give a remarkable performance on the High Court's steps, in contrast to the singer who just slipped away quietly, promising: "All will be revealed."

Her jubilation was despite only being awarded a fifth of the £125 million she had been seeking.

The £25 million award amounts to more than £700 for every hour that she was married to Sir Paul.

Announcing her decision to appeal the full details being disclosed, she had said: "I'm not appealing against the judgment because it's not worth it.

"I'm appealing against the publication of it because it has so many details of me and my daughter in it."

The judgement came after weeks of secretive and highly acrimonious wrangling over the broken marriage and Ms Mills' financial future.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:07 AM   #79
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

SO glad this is over. I don't care where she goes, as long as she just goes away. Poor Bea! A state school like all her siblings! However will she handle it? LOL
take me to that place
where I can find my brave face
Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:13 AM   #80
Lucy

Quote:
That really annoys me. How sexist is that?!?!!! Did she accuse her former lawyer of letting down mankind because he was representing a woman in court? Does she suggest that women lawyers should only represent woman?! Talk about the dark ages! As a woman and a lawyer, I find that comment almost offensive.

Quote:
The judgement on the bitter divorce battle between Heather Mills and Sir Paul McCartney was published today, describing the former model as "less than candid" and her evidence as "inaccurate".
One section read: "The husband's evidence was, in my judgment, balanced. He expressed himself moderately though at times with justifiable irritation, if not anger.
"He was consistent, accurate and honest.

"But I regret to have to say I cannot say the same about the wife's evidence.

"Having watched and listened to her give evidence, having studied the documents, and having given in her favour every allowance for the enormous strain she must have been under (and in conducting her own case) I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid. Overall she was a less than impressive witness."

In one section, Mr Justice Bennett lambasts her for her "make-belief" and her claims she was responsible for resurrecting Sir Paul's career.

He says: "I have to say that the wife's evidence that in some way she was the husband's “psychologist”, even allowing for hyperbole, is typical of her make-belief.

"I reject her evidence that she, vis-à-vis the husband, was anything more than a kind and loving person who was deeply in love with him, helped him through his grieving and like any new wife tried to integrate into their relationship the children of his former marriage.

"I wholly reject her account that she rekindled the husband's professional flame and gave him back his confidence."
I just love this. Sounds very well reasoned to me. I think her attempt to say that they were going to make her sounds bad because they don't want litigants in person is just utter rubbish. Sounds like the Judge has actually taken that into account in her favour.