BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:31 AM   #21
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
Is it just me who thought that the first judge on DWTS last night was basically saying "You kinda sucked, but we're supposed to make a big deal about how inspirational you are, so wow, you're SO AMAZING!!!" Whatever.
That's what I was afraid was going to happen.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:03 AM   #22
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Is it just me who thought that the first judge on DWTS last night was basically saying "You kinda sucked, but we're supposed to make a big deal about how inspirational you are, so wow, you're SO AMAZING!!!" Whatever.
Yeah, it was that kind of backhanded "damning with faint praise" tone I got from the judges in re Heather as well.

Frankly, I thought she did a good job. She did a good job because she worked hard; practiced hard and studied the moves and the rhythms. Instead of being condescending to her with the "inspirational, even though we didn't feel you cut the mustard or a good rug" attitude I picked up from the judges, I simply thought she did a good job.

I liked this other couple who really had some amazing moves as well. I'm glad they were not cut.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:32 AM   #23
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

No, I didn't think they were being condescending, I thought they were sucking up and overpraising a terrible routine because they want to keep her around for press reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:04 AM   #24
Mccartneyluvr
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to Mccartneyluvr Send a message via Yahoo to Mccartneyluvr

Quote:
No, I didn't think they were being condescending, I thought they were sucking up and overpraising a terrible routine because they want to keep her around for press reasons.
That's exactly what I thought. I didnt think she did as well as she has before,yet she still got an ok score.

Yes, my hands are full, but so is my heart.

Just call me Mrs. B
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:07 PM   #25
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I copied this article off the Internet.

Updated:2007-04-17 13:01:04
Mills Can't Dance Around Her Image
By César G. Soriano
USA Today
LONDON (April 17) — Heather Mills has earned fame and fans in the USA, thanks to her performances on ABC's Dancing With the Stars.

Mills — the show's first contestant with a prosthetic leg — has been praised by the show's judges, media and disabled activists. And fans have voted her through to the next round for four weeks straight.

She "is seemingly winning the hearts of America, which has been a surprise to many," says People magazine's Bryan Alexander. "Her image is definitely improving (in the United States)."

But that positive impression has not translated to her native soil, where Mills is still one of the most reviled women in England. The estranged wife of former Beatle Paul McCartney is regularly vilified in the British press. The News of the World tabloid on Sunday printed lurid claims about her pre-McCartney life, the latest in a constant stream of negative stories. The tabloids have dubbed her "Lady Mucca," a play on McCartney's nickname, "Macca."

"The fact that she's doing a popular American TV show is not going to change the perception of her over here," says Max Clifford, a British publicist to the stars. "She has never been popular, because most people were suspicious of her reasons for marrying Paul McCartney."

In recent months, Mills has gone on the offensive, filing lawsuits against several British tabloids. Earlier this month, Mills won a settlement and apology from the Sunday Mirror, which admitted inaccurate claims about the divorce.

But that's not likely to change public perception.

"Britons are going to believe what they are going to believe, as they have always been in the thick of this," Alexander says.

Adds Clifford: "In a public-relations war with one of the most popular persons on the planet (McCartney), you're only going to come in second."

Mills stands to gain more than $60 million in the pending divorce settlement, which would make it the sixth-most-expensive celebrity divorce ever, Forbes magazine reported Thursday. Mills could improve her image at home, Clifford says, by settling the case quickly and cheaply.

Mills' spokeswoman Michele Elyzabeth says: "Heather's got better things to do than worry about her PR. The only thing she's worried about is doing a good job (on Dancing With the Stars). That's her concentration."

But her biggest challenge? The delicate dance with the British public.

Contributing: Gary Strauss

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old Apr 18, 2007, 03:51 AM   #26
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Ok, I know I am a mean and evil person and it's more than obvious that I don't like Heather Mills, but I seriously jumped out of my chair and pumped my arms in the air when they announced Heather was in the bottom two last night. She didn't go home, but hey... it was still great. So she can dance better than Billy Ray Cyrus? Apparently America likes him better, and for that I must applaud my fellow Americans.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:03 AM   #27
Loka
Nowhere Man

Ok, I´m going to speak my mind now so be prepared:

Has anyone seen the photos with her amputated "leg"? It´s actually only her foot, and though it is indeed a disability I can see no reason why she shouldn´t be able to dance, I mean she still got her knee and everything.
The other question is, can we expect from the jury to tell her after the sencond dance: "Uhm, ok, you´re dancing well for being disabled, but you´re too bad to keep up with the normal contestants here so leave?!" (normal is polemically meant here). Everyone is talking about being fair to Heather, but I don´t think it was fair to the other contestants to let her join, because she indeed is a great inspiration for disabled people to not give up, but there are the "Paralympics" and other contests for disabled people, and given the fact that she still has her leg and obviously has no problems to dance, she´s not a great inspiration to the many wheelchair users and leg amputees she is associated with, telling them just to ignore their disability and pretend to be as normal as everyone. For so many others this is not possible, and the inspiration becomes a mockery. Ask yourselves why the "Federation of Disabled People" does not think this act is a great inspiration.

Sometimes I think she could join "American Idol" and everyone would still say "Oh my god what an inspiration!"
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #28
Lynner

I believe she has lost her leg just below the knee, so while she can do many things that those of us can do with two legs, she still has problems keeping her balance when she is on her false leg.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:36 AM   #29
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
I believe she has lost her leg just below the knee, so while she can do many things that those of us can do with two legs, she still has problems keeping her balance when she is on her false leg.
Obviously not, have you seen her dancing?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 04:07 AM   #30
sadie
Sun King

A disability is a disability.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 04:16 AM   #31
Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka View Post
Obviously not, have you seen her dancing?
Sorry, I guess I don't understand your question. If you're questioning her balance, from the clips they've shown from tv, yes, she does have balance problems at times. If you mean something else, please let me know - thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 04:20 AM   #32
sadie
Sun King

Quote:
Ok, I´m going to speak my mind now so be prepared:

Has anyone seen the photos with her amputated "leg"? It´s actually only her foot, and though it is indeed a disability I can see no reason why she shouldn´t be able to dance, I mean she still got her knee and everything.
The other question is, can we expect from the jury to tell her after the sencond dance: "Uhm, ok, you´re dancing well for being disabled, but you´re too bad to keep up with the normal contestants here so leave?!" (normal is polemically meant here). Everyone is talking about being fair to Heather, but I don´t think it was fair to the other contestants to let her join, because she indeed is a great inspiration for disabled people to not give up, but there are the "Paralympics" and other contests for disabled people, and given the fact that she still has her leg and obviously has no problems to dance, she´s not a great inspiration to the many wheelchair users and leg amputees she is associated with, telling them just to ignore their disability and pretend to be as normal as everyone. For so many others this is not possible, and the inspiration becomes a mockery. Ask yourselves why the "Federation of Disabled People" does not think this act is a great inspiration.

Sometimes I think she could join "American Idol" and everyone would still say "Oh my god what an inspiration!"

Wow that is harsh, and who says she is not anyway? I think she would be an insperation to anyone with a disability, even people in wheelchairs, though I cannot make a judgment on her insperational ability really as I am very fortunate to be able bodied as are my friends and family.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 04:51 AM   #33
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie View Post
Wow that is harsh, and who says she is not anyway? I think she would be an insperation to anyone with a disability, even people in wheelchairs, though I cannot make a judgment on her insperational ability really as I am very fortunate to be able bodied as are my friends and family.
I think if I suddenly lost part or all of a limb, I would certainly remember Heather as well as others I've seen who have found a way to continue on. It would certainly be challenging to learn to do things in a different way, but because of what I've seen with so many people, I certainly wouldn't think it's the end of the world & stop living! I must say, I do appreciate the people who show us that we have fewer limitations than some of would think!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:47 AM   #34
Loka
Nowhere Man

What I meant was that there are certainly others who represent disabled better than her - and I only say that because the "Federation of Disabled People" has already said so. That´s all. And of course there are some people who are more disabled than others! It´s just a mockery to say that as soon as you lose a foot you´re as disabled as everyone else who uses a badge (or whatever they argued about).

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Cont...MiscAreaId=991
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:06 AM   #35
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
Originally Heather lost her foot when she was hit by the motorcycle but due to infections that she has had while in the hospital after that, she had to lose more of her leg and it is below the knee. If it was higher than the knee, who knows what would've happened?

I think she's doing well. She's a way better dancer than me, that's for sure!

By the way, before I forget, Heather will be on the TV Land Awards on April 22 (the show's already been taped) on the TV land channel. Check your local listings and yes, it will repeat if you miss the show!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:45 AM   #36
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
What I meant was that there are certainly others who represent disabled better than her - and I only say that because the "Federation of Disabled People" has already said so. That´s all. And of course there are some people who are more disabled than others! It´s just a mockery to say that as soon as you lose a foot you´re as disabled as everyone else who uses a badge (or whatever they argued about).
Oh agreed! & yeah, if I were an amputee of any sort, I'm sure I'd be MORE inspired by others than Heather. But it's nice that while she's in a position to show how she's managing along other amputees can see just one more person making the best of what they've got. That's all.

I truly believe that in a few years time we won't hear much of Heather any more anyway. It will probably go back to much as it was pre-Macca marriage.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 05:01 PM   #37
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Yes Asha- I agree with you; I certainly hope this, it will be old news by then and it would be best for everyone to move on! I also hope that Paul and Heather would continue to get on especially for the sake of Beatrice. That's the only thing I'm more concern about (that and their happiness with their present lives). I'm sure by then it would more focus on Paul's next love life! Oh boy...lol
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:45 AM   #38
Loka
Nowhere Man

I somehow have the slight feeling that Heather won´t let you move on, sorry. That´s just the impression I get; this woman is so desperate for attention that whenever you (Americans) switch on the television the next years you´ll get your daily dose of Heather - unasked.
As did the passengers of Virgin Atlantic , I found something funny while searching for something about Paul and his site came up with news about her as usual:

April 20, 2007 -- Metro UK

Has the air gone to Heather's head?

Heather Mills-McCartney has endured a second embarrassing fall of the week after failing to impress a plane full of miserable passengers with a mid-air dance.

Hundreds of fed up Virgin Atlantic customers travelling to London from LA had already endured 10 hours of misery after the in-flight entertainment broke down.

So in a bid to lift spirits Mills-McCartney decided to tango down the aisles with dance partner Jonathan Roberts.

Witnesses said the scenes were similar to the US television show - but with one big difference... no applause.

As the plane prepared for decent into Heathrow, the Captain made an apology announcement and then said he had a surprise for the passenger's to make up for their nightmare trip.

After some 'commotion and flapping' the curtains from the upper class section ripped open to reveal Mills-McCartney in white trousers and a bright pink boob tube.

It was really awkward because when they finished, no one clapped as we were all in such a bad mood.

Fashion writer Henry Conway who was onboard said: "Heather suddenly appeared with her dance partner and rushed down premium economy doing a dance.'

'We were at the end of our tether after flying through the night with nothing to keep us occupied. We'd all lost our sense of humour.'

'We were stunned and moved our legs out of the way, just in case they got caught up in the frenzy.'

'It was really surreal. We didn't know what to do because there was no music and we were all mid boredom.'

'It was really awkward because when they finished, no one clapped as we were all in such a bad mood.'

'There was a deafening silence except for the plane engines.'

'Half way down premium economy her partner flung Heather back into a dip before gallivanting back behind the partition.'

Mills, who fell over this week during competition on America's primetime Dancing With The Stars show, retreated back to Upper Class with her dance partner Jonathan.

After the gesture backfired, passengers on flight VF0024, were further frustrated by the 39-year-old, as cabin crew made a fuss over her and an entourage and the mountains of luggage.

Mr Conway added: 'By this point we all just wanted to get off the flight but some of the older passengers blocked our exit, scrambling for autographs with Heather.

'She was certainly given special treatment as the crew were all over her like a rash.'

Mills' spokesman for Phil Hall said: 'He hadn't heard about the incident.'

'Heather's back in the UK at the moment because she has joint custody of her daughter Bea and wants to be back with her,' he said.

Communication Director of Virgin Atlantic, Paul Charles said: 'The dance was her idea and was filmed.'

'The technical fault was caused by a power surge at LAX before we took off. All 280 passengers were compensated.'
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:57 AM   #39
Asha
Sun King

Believe me... if people would stop talking about her... the focus would go elsewhere. But as long as we talk about her, the media will write things about her (true or untrue... it doesn't matter) to keep you talking about her. Does that make sense?

Everyone fades after a while! Want a list?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:40 PM   #40
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I almost hate to bump this thread back up (no posts on 4 days.... wow!), but Heather got voted off of Dancing with the Stars tonight. Thank goodness. Now she can fade into the background and Paul can come back in the limelight where he deserves to be. Couldn't be better timing with the new album coming out.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Closed Thread