BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default McCartney, Wife to Protest Seal Hunt

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_MCCARTNEYS_SEAL_HUNT?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION= HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Feb 28, 6:45 PM EST

McCartney, Wife to Protest Seal Hunt

TORONTO (AP) -- Paul McCartney and his wife will travel to the ice floes off the Canadian Maritimes this week to observe seal pups before the country's annual hunt opens, the Humane Society of the United States said.

The former Beatle and Heather Mills McCartney, both longtime animal-rights activists, will head out to the frigid ice floes in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on Thursday and Friday in their bid to prompt Ottawa to end the annual hunt of seals.

"Heather and Paul's visit to the seal pups will shine a global media spotlight on this cruel and needless slaughter," Rebecca Aldworth, the society's director of Canadian wildlife issues, said Tuesday.

The timing of this year's hunt is uncertain. Generally the hunt runs from mid-March through mid-April, but the unseasonably mild winter has put the hunt date on hold.

Twenty years ago, the centuries-old industry appeared doomed. Celebrities such as Brigitte Bardot and Martin Sheen pushed to ban the hunt amid a worldwide campaign that featured graphic photos of doe-eyed whitecoats, or baby harp seals, being bludgeoned on the ice floes.

The protests worked. The United States moved to ban the import of seal products in 1972, and the European Union instituted a partial ban in 1983. Prices plummeted to as low as $5 per seal pelt, and in 1987 Canada banned the killing of whitecoats.

But by the mid-1990s, new markets opened up in China and Russia, the price for pelts started to rise, and the sealing industry's efforts to encourage humane harvesting practices limited the impact of renewed protests.

As a result, both the industry and the seal population bounced back.

The full 325,000 seals allowed under the country's quota were killed last year, giving some 15,000 fishermen and their families $16.5 million in revenue.

---

On the Net:

http://www.hsus.org/

© 2006 The Associated Press.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
VersusBatman
Sun King

This may sound naive but who'd want to kill one of those seals?

Of course we all know what's behind that: $$$

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Angry

I hope the protest is a success.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Legs
Sun King

I see it's time to stay away from this forum again. Maybe till Paul has a new album out.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:48 PM   #5
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
I see it's time to stay away from this forum again. Maybe till Paul has a new album out.
Huh?
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
VersusBatman
Sun King

I second that.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman
This may sound naive but who'd want to kill one of those seals?
... yes, as in the natives who depend on it as just about their only source of income !

Meanwhile, Sir Paul says nothing about Japan's repeated transgressions of the whale hunting ban, eh ?

For the 25 years of so that I was a beatlemaniac, I never had a favorite fab per say, even as far as their solo works...

... but I now have a least-favorite fab !

Last edited by ABCKO : Mar 01, 2006 at 10:36 PM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:39 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

"in their bid to prompt Ottawa to end the annual hunt of seals."

I am sure that the local authorities will be impressed

"Oh but Paul McCartney is protesting now"

"Who?"

"The guy from The Beatles, he wrote that Yesterday tune"

"OMG.....What the heck is he doing here?"

"Oh he protests against the seal hunt, it seems he found out we do that here since 3000 years, and also someone called "Booo.. No" will show up soon so we hear, a singer from some rock band called Yahoo Two"

"Okay, will we be in trouble by this visit of this Beatles person?, Will he chain himself in this 5 day protest at the gate, like the people from Greenpeace who will be shown all over the world on websites and weblogs?"

"I don't think so, they say he flies in by a private yet and leaves in 30 minutes again after talking to the press and taking some pictures"

Last edited by FPSHOT : Mar 01, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2006, 12:19 AM   #9
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

[quote=FPSHOT

"Okay, will we be in trouble by this visit of this Beatles person?, Will he chain himself in this 5 day protest at the gate...'' [/QUOTE]

... yeah, I'D like to chain him to something, maybe an iceberg, and throw my my Paul CD's at him !
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2006, 02:33 AM   #10
beatlemad
Taxman

LOL!!!!

I cant see Paul in the front line of protesters myelf, expect for maybe a photo opportunity with those thumbs up!!!
I dont mean to bash him but he is a hypocrit with double standards as is the like of Bono. They all are thinking of themselves and keeping in the public eye.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:01 AM   #11
Legs
Sun King

I wonder where I read this all before? Could be on this forum some time ago.
When does Paul release his new album?
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:02 AM   #12
beatlemad
Taxman

I've heard he is releasing a new album called Chaos and Creation in the Backyard! No date yet though.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:03 AM   #13
Legs
Sun King

Looking forward to it.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:06 AM   #14
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlemad
LOL!!!!

I cant see Paul in the front line of protesters myelf, expect for maybe a photo opportunity with those thumbs up!!!
I dont mean to bash him but he is a hypocrit with double standards as is the like of Bono. They all are thinking of themselves and keeping in the public eye.
Could not agree with you more!

Oh, and the bit about how his wife is ALSO a "longtime animal rights activist?" Could it be that they are confusing Heather with Linda? Because I don't think she was very interested in this cause until she married Paul...

ABCKO is right, the seal hunt is the only source of income for the native people who depend on it and who have been doing this for millennia. This is just another photo op to someone like Paul...but for the PEOPLE who depend on this so they can feed their families, I think it is a much more pressing issue. I'm all for being kind to animals, don't get me wrong -- but there are times when I think that these "activists" should be more concerned about human beings, and this is one of them...gimme a break...
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Mar 02, 2006 at 03:07 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:07 AM   #15
beatlemad
Taxman

Wait for the backlash now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:39 AM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

This is a bit of a disgusting talk, but it is good to know.

I saw on a documentary how these days the locals (why are they called natives?) who do the hunt are now guided by governmental people and also environmental people when they go out to hunt. I saw footage of that and even though it is still terrible, the "good" part of it, compared to 5 years ago, is that the locals will only be allowed to "take out" a certain number of seals where in the past they would just take out as much as possible even when they did not "need it". Also the way they "take them out" is not as heavy as it used to be and I feel sad saying all this but I think the world should know that there are changes in the whole..see it as fishing maybe? Which is done for as long as there is life on earth.

Sorry for this, I am an animal lover myself and to me at least it was interesting to see that something is being done about it and I am sure that Paul showing up there had nothing to do with that.

A new album? Again???? Oh No please....

Last edited by FPSHOT : Mar 02, 2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:51 AM   #17
HMVNipper
Sun King

You are right, Rob, this is not indiscriminate wholesale seal killing like it was in the past. There are environmentalists and government officials who are advising the native people about how to do it without so much environmental damage, etc.

I do not agree in any fashion with indiscriminate slaughter of seals -- but there is also the issue of native people who have depended on these animals for food and income for generations. If they can be allowed to pursue their ancestral ways and also be environmentally aware, then I do not see why they should not be allowed to seal hunt at all, which is something that "animal rights activists" are trying to do. They want to stop this altogether. They see this in a totally different way -- and while I understand where they are coming from, I do not think it is fair of them to impose their views on anyone, particularly natives whose culture is not like theirs.

(They are called "natives" because they are the native people of the area -- perhaps it would be better to say "indiginous people?" Inuit? I don't know...all this political correctness is so confusing...)

And I still think that for someone like Paul, this is little more than a photo op.

Last edited by HMVNipper : Mar 02, 2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:54 AM   #18
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlemad
Wait for the backlash now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, I don't care...I've stated my opinion, nothing more. I know people will disagree with me and others who have expressed the same kind of opinion. That's fine, I'm not bashing anyone for thinking differently from me, and I expect that no one will bash me or anyone else who expressed the same feelings I did. This is a civil discussion where people will just have to agree to disagree, at least I hope it can be.

Old Mar 02, 2006, 04:00 AM   #19
FPSHOT
Sun King

I am pragmatic sometimes and when it comes to sealife, we already are losing a lot of water/sea dus to people wanting to use that space for their personal reasons, so the "natives" of water, i.e. anything like fish or anything under water, swimming or not, has to have water.

(There is a film on that, where George is in)

So, the more people take to make "land" for their homes and beaches and beach houses and boulevards and tankterminals and leasure places, the less place there is for those who live in/under water..

So, would there be no fishing industry, which there was for thousands of years already, the same fish/seal would have no place to live/swim.

As long as Paul does these promo things he can not record new song for a new album, so let's think positive, ok? Oops...

Old Mar 02, 2006, 04:02 AM   #20
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I guess I don't see any reason why Paul shouldn't protest anything that he thinks isn't right. I may or may not agree with everything he takes a stand against, but I completely support his right to do what he thinks is best. And I would never presume to say that it's "just a photo op"...I think I'd really hate it if I took a stand on something or made a charitable donation or whatever on something I believed in and a lot of cynical people sneered at me and said that the only reason I was doing it was "a photo op". Oh well, I guess everybody else knows best as to what his motivations are.