BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Nov 06, 2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default McCartney at the MTV Awards...

The BBC website has a photo of Macca backstage at the MTV awards, but something in the photo caught my eye...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7714639.stm

Pic 5.

Recognise the guy in the background? :P
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2008, 07:43 PM   #2
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Paul's brother Michael McCartney?
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Yeah there's Mike! With his trusty camera at the ready!

Wow Paul looks great. Cute hair.

I hate Bono. Why did it have to be him to present Paul? Yuck.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Ged
Fool On The Hill

Well living locally, I got to go down there but not in the actual arena as tickets were snapped up months ago but were changing hands on ebay for 10 x the amount. Anyway, it was heaving down there, limosuines galore, private parties, very strict security - anyway - here's some write ups and a link to pics.

MTV goes worldwide to billions so was a fantastic coup for Liverpool in securing the event in its new arena in the Grosvenor liverpool One 1 billion pound development, in this, the city's European Capital of Culture year.

Here's one write-up.

Sir Paul McCartney was honoured in a special award - the Ultimate Legend Award - which was presented to him by U2's Bono.

Bono said he was there to bestow the "first, last and only MTV Ultimate Award".

He said: "For someone like me who makes his living in rock and roll to be asked to say a few words about Paul McCartney is like asking a Catholic priest if he wouldn't mind stopping off in Rome to give an award to St Peter.

"This is the man who invented my job", he added "In the universe of rock and roll, the Beatles were the Big Bang.

"Tonight is about how much Liverpool means to Paul McCartney and how much Paul McCartney means to Liverpool.

"From the Cavern Club, to the Liverpool Institute, to Penny Lane, this is the city where he was born and bred, this is the city that gave him his attitude and this is the city that gave him his inspiration."

The award recognised Sir Paul as one of the most formative influences on the global music scene and as a founding father helping Liverpool earn the recent accolade as Most Musical City in the UK.

and another......

Absolutely fantastic wasn't it - Town was absolutely heaving at tea-time and around midnight.

True of Macca to be driving Bono around and pointing out places where he hung around, lived and went to school - no primma donna - white leather suites or pink flowered dressing rooms and airs and graces about this fella who started out in a sweaty dank cellar and prostitute ridden German dockland. He even turned up at Live Aid in his normal car in the car park while others had private jets and chauffeur driven limos.

Brilliant that one of our own took that accolade and the loudest roars of approval were rightly reserved for him as he spoke fondly of his extended family, Liverpool and his 3 other mates who 'done not too bad'.

and here's what it meant to the city as it thrives on billions of pounds worth of new private investment including the new waterfront penthouse suites atop towers aside the world famous 3 graces.

Eyes of Europe on Liverpool for MTV awards
Nov 5 2008

LIVERPOOL is set to benefit from £50m of positive coverage as a result of hosting the MTV Europe Awards tomorrow, it was estimated last night.

Jason Harborow, former chief executive of the Liverpool Culture Company, revealed the figure as he spoke to the Daily Post about his pride at helping attract the event to Liverpool.

The idea to try to persuade MTV to bring the event to the Echo Arena, Liverpool was hatched over a cup of coffee with The Mersey Partnership’s former chief executive Robert Crawford in 2005.

Mr Crawford had been in charge of Scottish Enterprise when the MTV Europe Awards were held in Edinburgh in 2003 and seen the benefits to the city.

“After we came up with the idea of trying to get MTV to Liverpool in 2008, I spent months writing letters and emails,” said Mr Harborow.

Months later he secured a meeting with Richard Godfrey, senior vice president for production and music in MTV UK and Ireland.

Bob Prattey, chief executive of the Echo Arena, and Mr Harborow travelled to London and showed Mr Godfrey a video about Liverpool’s musical heritage.

MTV wanted to know everything from how the city could handle the travel arrangements for private jets to the number of hotel rooms that would be available..

In January 2007 when MTV executives visited Liverpool the city’s chances of securing the show were almost ruined by a freak storm.

“Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. They were unable to catch a train or a plane because of the winds.

“But I think they were impressed with the way we jumped in to action and handled the situation.

“I personally think that bringing the MTV awards was my biggest achievement while at the Culture Company.”

Eventually in the summer of last year the city was finally told it would be hosting the awards.

“It is a truly global event. It may not have the wide public participation like the La Machine Spider, but the level of publicity it has attracted is phenomenal.”

He said that watching MTV from his home in Spain, the channel had “wall to wall” coverage of Liverpool.

“It is estimated that the positive coverage of the city is worth £50m.

“Alongside the BBC Sports Personality Awards it’s a great way to bring to a close Liverpool’s Capital of Culture celebrations.”

Mr Harborow will of course be in the crowd tomorrow night to witness the spectacle.

“I am going to enjoy watching the Killers, and I am hoping Britney will arrive – that would be fantastic.”

The Killers will be attending a pre-event party tonight at the Carling Academy that is being hosted by outrageous Hollywood blogger Perez Hilton.

For some pics of the event including U2's Bono handing over the award to Macca - see here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...548655&page=20
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Lucy

Macca's the pride of Liverpool as he walks away the only British winner at the MTV Awards

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...TV-Awards.html

Sir Paul McCartney was the pride of Britain last night when he was the only homegrown act to receive a gong at the MTV Europe Music Awards.
The former Beatle, 66, was presented with the Ultimate Legend Award from fellow rocker Bono at the star-studded ceremony in Sir Paul's hometown of Liverpool.
The U2 frontman, 48, risked the ire of religious followers by heralding Sir Paul as 'a saint' and comparing him to the Pope.

Despite being called the MTV Europe Music Awards, the ceremony was dominated by American acts and Sir Paul was the only British winner.
Although UK stars such as Leona Lewis, Estelle, Duffy and Tings Ting were up in several categories, they all went home empty-handed.
So it was up to Sir Paul to represent the British contingent as he accepted his gold MTV logo and globe trophy.
Introducing Sir Paul, Bono said: 'In the universe of rock and roll, the Beatles were the Big Bang...
'In two or three hundred years from now we sense, we fear our names will be forgotten. There is one person here, in this hall tonight whose songs we know will be heard now and forever.
'His songs will continue to be sung, heard and played as long as humans care about beauty and longing. There is one person here tonight whose work is immortal. There is only one Paul McCartney.
'You call him Sir, I call him Lord, Saint… Paul McCartney!'
Accepting his award, Sir Paul paid tribute to recently elected U.S. President Barack Obama - as did many stars that night.
He said: 'I want to thank my mum and dad. I want to thank everyone in my famiily. I want to thank my mates Ringo, George and John. Many years ago, there were four little boys born here in Liverpool and we went on to do quite well.

'Thanks to all my family, to all you for coming along, to everyone in Great Britain, to everyone in America for voting in Mr Obama.'
The Irish rocker later revealed he had been given a tour of Liverpool by Sir Paul, who had pointed out on his childhood hangouts.
Bono said: 'It was like being in the Popemobile with the Pope driving.'
Notably absent was his American girlfriend Nancy Shevell or his three children Stella, Mary or James.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
The Irish rocker later revealed he had been given a tour of Liverpool by Sir Paul, who had pointed out on his childhood hangouts.
I'm jealous.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:10 AM   #7
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

Sorry Lucy, but I kinda love Bono, not least because of his open and unashamed adoration of The Beatles. I figure he can't be all bad. LOVE that picture of Paul HOLY CRAP
take me to that place
where I can find my brave face
PaulisMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Ged
Fool On The Hill

It's great too that UK chart toppers such as the keiser Chiefs and Keane are on record as being influenced by the Beatles so they join the queue with others such as the Stereophonics and Oasis to name but a few.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:58 AM   #9
Lucy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post
Sorry Lucy, but I kinda love Bono, not least because of his open and unashamed adoration of The Beatles. I figure he can't be all bad. LOVE that picture of Paul HOLY CRAP
Look, the thing is, I absolutely hate him but I don't really know why. So I can fully accept it and welcome it when people I love kinda love him. So that's cool. Maybe you can try and convert me!!!!!

And yeah. HOLY CRAP!
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Look, the thing is, I absolutely hate him but I don't really know why. So I can fully accept it and welcome it when people I love kinda love him. So that's cool. Maybe you can try and convert me!!!!!

And yeah. HOLY CRAP!
Well I'll keep Lucy company of not liking Bono. I also am not sure why I can't stand him; I like U2 as a band, they have some good songs. But...Bono? Could care less.
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:54 AM   #11
maxeythecat
Nowhere Man

Interestingly, Paul's brother looks alot more like him than he did when they were younger..that happens sometimes, doesn't it?
maxeythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:18 AM   #12
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
Interestingly, Paul's brother looks alot more like him than he did when they were younger..that happens sometimes, doesn't it?
Exactly what I thought when I saw that picture!
saziontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:29 AM   #13
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Awh, look at Mike!

And sorry, Lucy...I love Bono too.

I have to admit...I threw up in my mouth a little bit about Paul's Obama comment.

I am frantically searching for any video clips. I wonder if MTV is gonna play this in the States? hmmm.....

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:35 AM   #14
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

If you haven't seen the episode of "The Simpsons" with U2, that might be a good place to start. They're pretty hilarious. And Steve Martin is in it too. <3
take me to that place
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Legs
Sun King

I never watch MTV anymore, but I thought it was on here yesterday.

And I like that picture, two of my favourite artists together.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:37 AM   #16
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I'll join the 'Don't Like Bono' camp. IMO the man is so far up his own backside he can probably see daylight. No offense to those who like him though. :P

He tells all of us to give everything we can to help the poor and needy and then goes out and buys a £6,000 pair of pink-tinted sunglasses, or tells us that the world's climate urgently needs help and then has his hat flown first class half way around the world...

But anyway, back to topic... :P
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 12:44 PM   #17
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

Scientists have determined that this photo shows the species known in Latin as dorkus mallorcus in prime form. *writes on clipboard*

(sorry for the watermark)

take me to that place
Old Nov 07, 2008, 01:00 PM   #18
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Scientists have determined that this photo shows the species known in Latin as dorkus mallorcus in prime form. *writes on clipboard*

(sorry for the watermark)

Ha! PIM, this is the funniest comment I've seen on the boards in a while. Tre bien!

*Edit* But I still think he looks cute!

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.

Last edited by erinluv182 : Nov 07, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Lucy

Quote:
OMG!!!!! I was just babbling on to Corinne last night about how great he looked in every photo and then I see this....awww Paul you just can't help yourself can you love?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post

*Edit* But I still think he looks cute!
And yeah despite the dorkus to the absolute max, I agree.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 02:20 PM   #20
taxman
Taxman

I'm not sure how important is this award.
After all, Rick Astley won Best Act Ever and Tokio Hotel won the Headliner award (whatever that is).
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote