BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Apr 02, 2006, 09:54 PM   #1
subhajit_2k
Little Child

Default Can anyone identify this Across The Universe version?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0e1rur

It starts with John saying something like "Youre right, Ritchie", has female backing vocals on "Nothing's gonna change..." and quite a lot of reverse tape loops.
Don't think it's the WWF version, though.
subhajit_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Legs
Sun King

It is and it isn't the wild life version.Like all released versions of "Across The Universe" it's the original recording as can be heard on "Anthology". Lots of tape loops and backwards stuff was added, but the Beatles wisely decided that this also didn't work for the song.

They experimented a lot with the song to get it right, finally they gave up till it received some birds sound effects for the wild life album, and Phil slowed it down and did his thing for the Let It Be album.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 03, 2006 at 02:31 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2006, 03:22 AM   #3
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

It's fun, and helps reveal the song for the psychedelia that it really was, even if the official mixes are better. It has always annoyed me that the song (which is perfectly nice in itself) somehow got glommed onto the Get Back era material. I guess its inclusion is indicative of how weak the Beats felt the actual GB sessions were.

Thanks for putting it up!

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
subhajit_2k
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
It is and it isn't the wild life version.Like all released versions of "Across The Universe" it's the original recording as can be heard on "Anthology". Lots of tape loops and backwards stuff was added, but the Beatles wisely decided that this also didn't work for the song.
They experimented a lot with the song to get it right, finally they gave up till it received some birds sound effects for the wild life album, and Phil slowed it down and did his thing for the Let It Be album.
Thanks Legs. So is there a name for this particular version? I don't have the WWF version with me right now, but I remember Paul also doing some backing vocals there. I like the not-slowed-down, no frills version of Anthology but even this one is a nice version.
Old Apr 03, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Aah yes, there are some lovely backing vocals on the Wildlife version. Not talking about the anoying female ones, but those by the Beatles themselves. Every version of the song has something that I like.

The backwards sound version is called "hums wild" because of the hum at the end.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 03, 2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2006, 12:34 AM   #6
subhajit_2k
Little Child

THE "Hums Wild" version? Great. And I didn't know I had it all the while with me!
Old May 02, 2006, 02:18 PM   #7
62hofner

I know of four different versions...

1.) The "Let It Be" album version (least favorite),
2.) The "World Wildlife" album version - isn't that on the U.S. "Rarities"?
3.) The Anthology version
4.) A version I have on a bootleg CD that I bought a long time ago. It sounds closest to the "Anthology" version... different sound effects, etc.

I'd be willing to bet there are more... differing here and there in sound effects.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Could be, but those are the only ones available officially or unofficially. Let it be ... Naked created yet one more, but forgetable, version.
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:35 AM   #9
QuarryMan89
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to QuarryMan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
Could be, but those are the only ones available officially or unofficially. Let it be ... Naked created yet one more, but forgetable, version.
O_o

Really? That's far and away my favourite version of all! (it's my favourite song of all time)
As they slip away
Across the Universe...
QuarryMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarryMan89
O_o

Really? That's far and away my favourite version of all! (it's my favourite song of all time)
Would have been my favourite version if they just had used the full original take. Now they have ruined by some out of place echo effects at the end.
The original recording is on "Anthology 2" anyway, and that remains my favourite version.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:34 PM   #11
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

It is a lovely song, and I love having different versions of the same song, especially if its a good song. But at some point you have to wonder about issuing four official versions of the same take of the same song. Especially (in the case of LiB...NAKED), when it was wasn't even from the sessions for the album.

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote